Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #166
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 977
Well........ I had a bit of a surprise today!
Hung around my hosts house today till it warmed up a bit, took a couple of pictures,

a morning glory

and a whimsical statue that was in his yard.

Took a nice long hot shower, I really had a hard time turning the faucet off!

Yep one more item for my hobbit house, nice this size shower head! Think I want a brass one though

Then I went to Walmart (yeah, I do shop there unfortunately) and got some supplies, like engine oil, and went back to the house.
Once I got there I opened up my tool tube, and guess what I saw????........

Silly me, I even stuck my hand in there when I didn't see my toolkit, as if it had magically shrunk.
Bummer! I can't imagine loosing the cap on it, seeing as I have never been able to open that side, it was stuck.
So now I am wondering if someone took them at the campsite or so. No idea, and it really doesn't matter.
So now I guess I get to buy a set of new tools, oy! That's gonna cost me some. At least I know what to buy.
Easy come easy go I guess.
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:38 PM   #167
Feyala
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Damn, sorry to hear about losing your tools! They can be expensive too!

The 32F weather is definitely telling you to migrate south. It's been starting to drizzle on some days here, and the leaves are changing. Time for me to scurry too. It's still warm down south!

Luckily all I have to do is paint those stupid mermite cans - I swear, if these things are ever destroyed beyond repair, I'm going to make my own out of sheetmetal completely from scratch or just break down and buy a set. I have spent more hours sanding bondo than I am happy with. But hey, it's better than tarp straps...

Do you have an idea of where you're heading after Florida? I'm going to California, possibly hanging out in Slab City for a bit, and I'm going to see if I can catch Alex either in Cali or AZ. He mentioned wanting to head south and spend December 21st at an old Mayan temple which I thought was an awesome idea, but I dunno if that's still his plan. I'd like to do it, in any case! Gotta get my passport renewed.

Stay warm!
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:41 PM   #168
zoid
Dirty Old Hippie

Oddometer: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post

Spirit in all his/her glory! I think Spirit belongs to the mountains, it is there s/he rides best
Pssst! A little secret. I think they are all like that.

Will we see you here in the flatlands again next summer? Still enjoying the ride report!!
zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:24 AM   #169
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyala View Post
Luckily all I have to do is paint those stupid mermite cans - I swear, if these things are ever destroyed beyond repair, I'm going to make my own out of sheetmetal completely from scratch or just break down and buy a set. I have spent more hours sanding bondo than I am happy with. But hey, it's better than tarp straps...
As far as durability goes, the pelicans are the best. I actually turned my bike around on one of them after I dropped Spirit. It only got scratched up a bit, and protected my laptop superbly!

Quote:
Do you have an idea of where you're heading after Florida? I'm going to California, possibly hanging out in Slab City for a bit, and I'm going to see if I can catch Alex either in Cali or AZ. He mentioned wanting to head south and spend December 21st at an old Mayan temple which I thought was an awesome idea, but I dunno if that's still his plan. I'd like to do it, in any case!
I'm planning on doing the southern routes in the winter. But want to meet up with Jim early December to do a seminar in Asheville that teaches folks to use a different part of their brain for communication. More like a telepathic one. It sounds really neat. But yeah, heading west afterward to go South into Mexico sound like a great idea. Would be cool if Jim could come too, The four of us would make a good team I think.

Quote:
Gotta get my passport renewed.Stay warm!
Hahah, same here!!
Old 09-25-2012, 06:28 AM   #170
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
Pssst! A little secret. I think they are all like that.

Will we see you here in the flatlands again next summer? Still enjoying the ride report!!
Not sure Zoid, I am hoping to go to Alaska next summer
Old 09-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #171
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,512
i was keeping up with your rr until july, when i took a little ride myself. i found it again this morning and caught back up. you're having a good time! which side of florida you hitting first?
Old 09-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #172
Scootard
Twist-n-Go

Oddometer: 233
Lost tools

Tools don't wear out. If you pick up just the ones you need at a pawn shop I doubt you'd spend $20 on the lot. Good luck
Old 09-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #173
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootard View Post
Tools don't wear out. If you pick up just the ones you need at a pawn shop I doubt you'd spend $20 on the lot. Good luck
A friend of mine says he has a KLR toolkit for me, and whatever else I need, I was indeed going to a thrift shop to look for them, except for the wrenches, I do like the ones with the open end on one side and the closed on the other. The ones with the automatic thingies in the center, can't think of the name right now.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #174
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
i was keeping up with your rr until july, when i took a little ride myself. i found it again this morning and caught back up. you're having a good time! which side of florida you hitting first?
Seeing as I am coming from the North-East along the coast, guess I'm hitting the North-East first. I have a friend who lives in Naples, I'm ring to visit her too, and Alcanrider
Old 09-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #175
NomadGal OP
Esther

How do I get myself into all these hairy situations?
Haha, I think life is prepping me for some gnarly roads, and making me a better rider.
First ofI wanted to post a picture of the rim and tire Tony gave me. The tire is a Michelin T63

Now back to my previous comment, gnarly roads.....
I said goodbye to Guy, my wonderful host who went out of his way to make me comfortable, and who made me an awesome bowl of oatmeal with fresh strawberries in the morning.

His tenant Chachi, a wonderful woman, very warmhearted and generous too.

I had wanted to go visit the museum in Maggie Valley, wheels in time I think it is called, but it was closed.
Oh well, next time I am there.
I rode toward the North to go visit _anatic who invited me over for the night, and other than the major traffic near Waynesville, it was a gorgeous short ride with lots of twisties in the end.

When I got to Spring Creek the store had this cute fall decoration outside. They also had it all through Maggie Valley along the road, but I forgot to take pictures of it.

I called Shane and told him I was at the store. I am glad I did, not sure I would have dared go up his road by myself.
As it turned out it was the gnarliest road yet that I had attempted fully loaded.
Guess Tony's road was a warm-up.
I met Shane halfway, and followed him toward his house.

I was proud of myself holding up while riding, but my heart sank into my boots a little later on.

Oh Boy!!!

I kept up on my speed and ignored my fear factor and the urge to give up for quite a while, but about 100 feet from the end (I didn't know it was the end) my body and mind just gave up, I was just too worn out, and I dropped my poor Spirit in a ditch.
Other than breaking the windshield everything seemed all right.

I was bummed at first to have broken it, me and my ideas of venturing into the unknown, but then I thought I could try and put it back together. Shane and I looked for the pieces after he picked her up and rode her to the top for me, and started gluing the windshield back together. Easier said than done! We did half of the windshield and put it inside his house he is building to let it dry and fasten overnight.

We had dinner together and talked about movies and other things, and I slept soundly until his forestation beeper went off.

Today I'm going to glue the rest of the windshield and was thinking that I could pull a Frankenstein on it by drilling teensy little hole all along the break line, and weaving (sewing) wire through the holes to prevent breaking it when installing, and also for more stability.
I will post pics of end result.

Tonight is an ADV meet in Asheville, and Shane is showing me some roads today as well.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #176
NomadGal OP
Esther

In case you were wondering why I thought his road was gnarly!

http://youtu.be/_mj-v597BgE

Not sure how to post this like a little movie yet.

NomadGal screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 11:11 AM
Old 09-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #177
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,799
Quote:

Not sure how to post this like a little movie yet.
here ya go:

Old 09-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #178
Feyala
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Congrats on that rough road! It looks about as bad as the worst stuff I've rode on, and that wasn't fully loaded!

If you want to embed movies in the future, from the video page you should see "share", then choose "embed" and get the HTML code to put in your post. If it doesn't work (LiveJournal can't handle iframes for example), you can try the "use old embed code" option to get a different set of HTML.

Quote:
As far as durability goes, the pelicans are the best. I actually turned my bike around on one of them after I dropped Spirit. It only got scratched up a bit, and protected my laptop superbly!
Pelicans are legendary, but I don't have $900 to spend on luggage. Not now, not ever unless I somehow become independently wealthy. It's great that you got yours as a gift though. :) There is a knockoff brand called Seahorses, but I don't think they'd fare as well in the crushing department. I also prefer top-loading cases, I can cram stuff in without worrying that it'll go all "garage sale" on me if I am in a hurry when I open them up. I'm definitely going to have to keep myself in check in the stuff-cramming department, these mermites are cavernous.

Quote:
But want to meet up with Jim early December to do a seminar in Asheville that teaches folks to use a different part of their brain for communication. More like a telepathic one. It sounds really neat.
Details?

Quote:
Would be cool if Jim could come too, The four of us would make a good team I think.
Agreed! Though if his engine went all 'splodey, not sure how it's all going to pan out. We'll see I guess! I'd like to meet up with you this winter sometime for sure though.
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #179
_anatic
Plated

Oddometer: 1,087
It's really good having you here!

Quote:
How do I get myself into all these hairy situations?
Haha, I think life is prepping me for some gnarly roads, and making me a better rider. ...
As it turned out it was the gnarliest road yet that I had attempted fully loaded.
Guess Tony's road was a warm-up.
I met Shane halfway, and followed him toward his house.

These are not of the bad part.

I was proud of myself holding up while riding, but my heart sank into my boots a little later on.

Oh Boy!!!

I kept up on my speed and ignored my fear factor and the urge to give up for quite a while, but about 100 feet from the end (I didn't know it was the end) my body and mind just gave up, I was just too worn out, and I dropped my poor Spirit in a ditch.
Other than breaking the windshield everything seemed all right.

Today I'm going to glue the rest of the windshield and was thinking that I could pull a Frankenstein on it by drilling teensy little hole all along the break line, and weaving (sewing) wire through the holes to prevent breaking it when installing, and also for more stability.
I will post pics of end result.

Tonight is an ADV meet in Asheville, and Shane is showing me some roads today as well.
I'm really hating you dropped Spirit.
I had taken the 4wheeler down just in case Esther didn't want to try the road. I pulled over at the bottom of the steep part to tell her what the good line was an ask if she was OK with trying it. She rolled by me an went right up, no problem. I'm thinking if she got that the rest is easy. But right below the house I had just put down some new gravel an it wasn't packed in yet. Again very sorry about that. We'll have to see how the frakenshield works. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #180
recrazyjax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Hey Esther,

Thank you for keeping us all informed/involved in your trip through this blog. It's awesome. I do 2 or 3 week long trips mysefl each year and love it. Sadly my job keeps me from a longer trip. But, love enjoying yours. We (wife and I) live in Jacksonville Fl area and if you get close and need/want a place to say for a bit, just let me know and I'll send your a phone #. We live in a nice subdivision so the views aren't as nice but the approach roads are easier... hehe :) Sorry couldn't resist. If you want to ride around the flatland/sandbox a bit I'd be happy to jump on my KLR and ride w/ya a bit. Be careful of the sand...it's way worse than rock on 2 wheels.

There is a KLR ride out of Helen Ga (very N GA not too far from Asheville) next Friday & Sat (5 & 6 Oct) if you're around. Wife and I are coming up for a week and a half to camp (bring our Travel Trailer, we call it princess camping..haha) and ride and generally relax. If you're around you'd be welcome to ride or stay w/us for a day or two. Anything we can do to help you in your adventure would be gladly given. There is a large Dual Sport group here in Jax that would be willing to help if needed as well I'm sure of it.

Ride on, be safe and may the powers that be bless you my lady!
T
Todd
recrazyjax is offline   Reply With Quote