User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2014, 08:24 PM   #1846
Hunter-Douglas
rube

Oddometer: 355
Esther!
It was great meeting you at your place of work yesterday. And thanks again for ringing me up for my copy of Game of Thrones, it should pass these next few days nicely before heading up to Deadhorse.

The RR looks great! The KLR looks even better. It looks like I have a lot of reading to do.

Cheers!
Hunter
Old 05-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #1847
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
Yeah, the forks are still assembled but off the bike. I think I will put them back on the bike temporarily with the axel bolt through them so they don't twist, that way I have a better hold on them while trying to loosen the bolts. Thanks for the advice, I'll see if it works next Tuesday whenI have a day off again.

Just don't tighten the top triple tree clamp with it loose top cap will come off with out too much effort.
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:53 PM   #1848
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter-Douglas View Post
Esther!
It was great meeting you at your place of work yesterday. And thanks again for ringing me up for my copy of Game of Thrones, it should pass these next few days nicely before heading up to Deadhorse.

The RR looks great! The KLR looks even better. It looks like I have a lot of reading to do.

Cheers!
Hunter
Hi Hunter, thanks for posting, I didn't quite catch your name when you left.
Happy trails and maybe we'll meet again!
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #1849
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommu56 View Post
Just don't tighten the top triple tree clamp with it loose top cap will come off with out too much effort.
I'm not taking the caps off yet, first I'll loosen the bolts underneath, and then maybe ever so slightly the caps before I take the off the triple tree again
Old 05-13-2014, 08:54 PM   #1850
NomadGal OP
Esther

Yippee!!! Finally finished the wedding dress!
I also am pretty sure that yesterday was the last day I taught cake decorating at Joann's! Wow, I had no idea how time-consuming that would be.
So now it looks like I have just the one job at Barnes & Noble, and maybe an occasional sewing class.
this means more time I can spend on fixing Spirit!!!

Today I was thankful for Canada!!!
Turns out that getting an eye exam in Alaska is super duper pricey!! $295 for the basic exam and another $150 on top of that to get the exam for contacts!
My eyes haven't changed in years!!
Not willing to cough up $450 dollars for a half hour exam, I decided to Google contact lenses without current prescription.
What pops up? a Canada based website that has the lenses I use, and at a very reasonable price!! Wow! Am I ever happy.

Hmmm, a mouse with good taste!!

This is a gum paste Tiger Lily, that I taught how to make in the last Wilton class

it is turning greener! another week and the leaves will be totally green and full. amazing!

I'm excited about finally getting the chance to fix up Spirit,and can't wait to hit the road again.
Tomorrow I got to let my boss know I"m quitting, which is kinda sad as there are 5 other employees that are leaving. Hmmmmm, that's gonna be tough for them!!
Old 05-13-2014, 09:13 PM   #1851
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
Crap!! That's not fair!! You have green on your trees an mine don't have a leaf. That's it, I'm moving North to the warmer weather.
Those Tiger Lilies are awesome Esther. They grow wild round here and look just like yours. You really do some amazing work!
Would you mind sending me the contact lens link you found? i am interested to compare to what I am paying now.
Best Regards....justjeff
ErikMotoMan: "People struggle with many things in their lives. But the answer to struggle isn’t MORE struggle. It’s peace. If you want more joy, peace, love, happiness… you have to GIVE those things first. You have to THINK those things. You have to have faith that they’ll come to you, despite what you may see. The truth isn’t in what you see with your eyes. It’s what you feel in your heart."
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:32 AM   #1852
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,196
It's been green here for almost 2 months.

I couldn't live much further north.I'd die from exposure.
ben2go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:04 AM   #1853
Floyd111
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Ohlins for KLR 650

Hi Esther,

Goood news.. All the parts needed for your Ohlins arrived today, and I'll send the lot out for assembly tomorrow. I expect we can ship the assembled shock in a day or 5.
Also, after talking to Lucky Six here, I understood there would be a lot of demand for an Ohlins for the KLR's. We decided to put them into mass production, after you let us know how the handling is under heavy duty use.
You'll be our Guinea pig, and as a reward you may keep the goods!
Lucky said that 7-800 bucks is very doable for such a shock, and we are quite sure to be able to do that.

I mentioned the Racetech Emulator before. Now, I would not likely be seen promoting a competitive brand, but for those on the very bottom of the upgrade field, I can indeed advise the Emulator, more so because there really isn't much better available, if you're not gonna go to changing triple clamps to fit an Ohlins MX fork.(at the cost of having to sell several essential organs on the black market.)
The Emulator, with a set of Progressive springs is really affordable, and very effective. Makes no sense for me to order these and send them to you, so go track down that combi on your continent, and send me the bill.

This front /rear suspension configuration works like a charm, you'll see, especially after you have installed the Scotts steering damper.
I'm very confident you'l' find to be dropping the bike a lot less in the future, and I would also think your boney @#% is gonna hurt a lot less after a long ride
A lot of energy goes into managing and handling the bike, and mostly we take this for granted, until we suddenly experience the joy of proper (handlebar) suspension.
Floyd111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:07 PM   #1854
Ol Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Ester, you have quite a community watching over you. Looking forward to reading of your adventures once you leave "the great white north". If you should ever be in the Apple Valley area of California, I hope you contact us and we would be happy to put you up for the night.
Ol Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:21 PM   #1855
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd111 View Post
Hi Esther,

Goood news.. All the parts needed for your Ohlins arrived today, and I'll send the lot out for assembly tomorrow. I expect we can ship the assembled shock in a day or 5.
Also, after talking to Lucky Six here, I understood there would be a lot of demand for an Ohlins for the KLR's. We decided to put them into mass production, after you let us know how the handling is under heavy duty use.
Lucky said that 7-800 bucks is very doable for such a shock, and we are quite sure to be able to do that.

I mentioned the Racetech Emulator before. Now, I would not likely be seen promoting a competitive brand, but for those on the very bottom of the upgrade field, I can indeed advise the Emulator, more so because there really isn't much better available, if you're not gonna go to changing triple clamps to fit an Ohlins MX fork.(at the cost of having to sell several essential organs on the black market.)
The Emulator, with a set of Progressive springs is really affordable, and very effective. Makes no sense for me to order these and send them to you, so go track down that combi on your continent, and send me the bill.

This front /rear suspension configuration works like a charm, you'll see, especially after you have installed the Scotts steering damper.
I'm very confident you'l' find to be dropping the bike a lot less in the future, and I would also think your boney @#% is gonna hurt a lot less after a long ride
A lot of energy goes into managing and handling the bike, and mostly we take this for granted, until we suddenly experience the joy of proper (handlebar) suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:53 AM   #1856
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd111 View Post
Hi Esther,

Awesome Stan! I'm curious to see if the shock makes it here in time. I ended up getting a better spring put on a shock that Jim sent me; if your shock doesn't get here in time then I will put it on. Maybe my landlord can forward yours to me once I know where I'll be.
As far as the stings for in the forks, I am running out of time and steam, so I'm just going to replace the fork oil and the seals and that should be fine with me.
Not sure what an emulator is, and I am guessing that steering damper is the gadget you sent me earlier right?
Maybe some time in the future I can upgrade the rest, right now I"ll be happy if I can get Spirit put back together in time!!!
Old 05-21-2014, 12:54 AM   #1857
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Man View Post
Ester, you have quite a community watching over you. Looking forward to reading of your adventures once you leave "the great white north". If you should ever be in the Apple Valley area of California, I hope you contact us and we would be happy to put you up for the night.
Thanks Ol Man, If I ever get in that area I will let you know!!
Old 05-21-2014, 01:23 AM   #1858
NomadGal OP
Esther

It has been a harrowing week or so, and I have to admit that I am starting to feel my age!
Only three more weeks of work, and boy how does that saying go, The last mile is the longest?? Feel like I am running out of gas most of the time!
I told my manager that I was leaving……….. I'm sure they didn't like that. Already 5 other employees gave notice and I know 2 more will do so within the next week! Some found better paying jobs, and some are moving to the mainland.
That place is going to be run by noobs pretty soon!

Yesterday and today was my first weekend off in a long time! I was too tired to do much yesterday, but I did manage to sew a window into my tent shed, and I painted a second coat on my fenders and fairing, and a third coat on other parts.
I'm going to have a very trippy looking bike, you'll now be able to see me coming from a mile away, there will be no doubt that it's me! :

Today I faired a little better as far as energy went. I took the tire off in no time!! Scary how well I can do this now…..

cleaned the rim somewhat, still have more to do, and I got some steel wool to tackle the brake disk.
I had ordered new bearings and silly me, had no idea that those things didn't just pop out!
So, as I don't have a bearing extractor gadget, nor a heating gun, I'm going to see if Darrin or Dave have either one.

removed the oil pump and found out unfortunately that the "new" oil pump I had been carrying with me for so long, might be in worse shape that my old one! I'll take it apart soon and see.

I was a little proud of myself today though………. I figured out how to remove the seal and the needle bearing from the case where the clutch thingy goes in.

The seal was kinda hard, and I ended up utterly mutilating it, but the bearing came out smooth after I found a bolt with the perfect size head. I slipped it in and with the use of washers, a nut and a wrench I was able to pull it out of the socket.
Yipeee!!!!

I did a few other things and then went to do laundry and grocery shopping. Yeah, not that much accomplished today, but once the oil pump is back on and the engine closed, I will feel a lot better. Then comes the task of taking the top off and checking the valve clearance, yea, not my favorite thing to do either!!

Finally got around to make an appointment at the dentist. I sure hope it won't cost me all I've saved!! Having dental now will help, but I've got no idea what the Fairbanks rates are for dental services!! The optometrist rates were staggering!
Got my glasses but have to send them back, they installed one of the lenses backward!! Makes me wonder!!!!!
Old 05-21-2014, 03:25 AM   #1859
Floyd111
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
emulator

The emulator is a piston-type gizmo that mimics the behavior of a more complex, tunable front fork (that has a shim-stack.)
It is mostly a straight-fit onto the shaft in your forks, replacing the OEM part.
It helps your suspension, improving response time, and thus comfort and safety.
Surely not too advanced for your skill level, but that said, an easy upgrade for a later date, maybe at the time of changing your fork oil, or fork seals, again.
Floyd111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:36 AM   #1860
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,848
>"So, as I don't have a bearing extractor gadget, nor a heating gun,"

Use a brass drift from the other side of the wheel.
You can use steel, but you have to be careful about marking things up.

Find somebody with a 'blower hair drier'... heat the outside.
Use an ice cube (or a snowbank) for the center of the bearing.
Make sure the bearings don't have a clip to hold them in.
(Haven't worked on Kaw's before.)