Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #181
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by _anatic View Post
It's really good having you here!
Thanks for having me, I love it here in the woods!
Quote:
Originally Posted by _anatic View Post
I'm really hating you dropped Spirit.
Ehh! It's part of the adventure, I'm just glad I only broke the windshield.
If I were independently wealthy I would have been riding up and down your road until I got good at it. Haha, but there's no telling how many times I would have dropped Spirit while trying. Glad I rode this road though, learning a little bit every time.
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #182
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by recrazyjax View Post
Hey Esther,

Thank you for keeping us all informed/involved in your trip through this blog. It's awesome. I do 2 or 3 week long trips mysefl each year and love it. Sadly my job keeps me from a longer trip. But, love enjoying yours. We (wife and I) live in Jacksonville Fl area and if you get close and need/want a place to say for a bit, just let me know and I'll send your a phone #. We live in a nice subdivision so the views aren't as nice but the approach roads are easier... hehe :) Sorry couldn't resist. If you want to ride around the flatland/sandbox a bit I'd be happy to jump on my KLR and ride w/ya a bit. Be careful of the sand...it's way worse than rock on 2 wheels.

There is a KLR ride out of Helen Ga (very N GA not too far from Asheville) next Friday & Sat (5 & 6 Oct) if you're around. Wife and I are coming up for a week and a half to camp (bring our Travel Trailer, we call it princess camping..haha) and ride and generally relax. If you're around you'd be welcome to ride or stay w/us for a day or two. Anything we can do to help you in your adventure would be gladly given. There is a large Dual Sport group here in Jax that would be willing to help if needed as well I'm sure of it.

Ride on, be safe and may the powers that be bless you my lady!
T
Todd
I might still be around. Going to hang with Cuttle for a couple of days, then visit MicroDan from the KLRworld forum, he's going to help me check my valves. And then I'm not sure yet. Trying to meet up with Feike, he's un the Ridgeway right now somewhere. Still waiting on GoalZero, they still haven't' posted their city locations yet, so I have no idea where I will be going for work. Hmmmm, starting to have my doubts about the functionality of this company.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #183
NomadGal OP
Esther

My Frankenshield!
Drilled about 170 tiny holes into my glued together windshield yesterday.

The I tried to run metal wire through the holes, but it wasn't supple enough. So last night an idea struck me, fishing wire!
It's clear, strong and bendable. So after the ADV meet in Asheville, Shane and I rode to Walmart and I got some fishing wire and crimping beads.
Then after some good pancakes I started "sewing" the holes. It took me well over 2hrs, but the result is pretty cool.
I even played with two different stitches, mainly because the cracks were offset, so I had to start from the middle.

If you look closely, you'l see the diagonal direction of the wire in the back of the shield

I think this looks pretty darn creative and cool!

Wanted to show you what the view from Shane's house will be once he is done building it.

Gonna start packing now and putting the windshield back on.
Heading to Cuttle's place in Asheville shortly
Old 09-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #184
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
My Frankenshield!
Drilled about 170 tiny holes into my glued together windshield yesterday.

The I tried to run metal wire through the holes, but it wasn't supple enough. So last night an idea struck me, fishing wire!
It's clear, strong and bendable. So after the ADV meet in Asheville, Shane and I rode to Walmart and I got some fishing wire and crimping beads.
Then after some good pancakes I started "sewing" the holes. It took me well over 2hrs, but the result is pretty cool.
I even played with two different stitches, mainly because the cracks were offset, so I had to start from the middle.

Gonna start packing now and putting the windshield back on.
Heading to Cuttle's place in Asheville shortly

frankenshield!

see you in a little while...
Old 09-27-2012, 03:17 PM   #185
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
wow Esther that windshield looks pretty cool i like how you think out side the box ill have to tell the guys about that one very good way to be resorceful
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #186
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,879

It was nice to have (almost) met you at the Wedge last night!

We didn't quite get introduced but I'm the guy that noticed and commented on that empty tool tube as you were leaving. Cuttle told me who you were afterwards.

Sorry about the tools, may the thief be forever plagued by breakdowns....

Enjoy your travels! Here's hoping you meet many great people and see wonderful things!

Quote:
Well........ I had a bit of a surprise today!

Once I got there I opened up my tool tube, and guess what I saw????........

Silly me, I even stuck my hand in there when I didn't see my toolkit, as if it had magically shrunk.
Bummer! I can't imagine loosing the cap on it, seeing as I have never been able to open that side, it was stuck.
So now I am wondering if someone took them at the campsite or so. No idea, and it really doesn't matter.
So now I guess I get to buy a set of new tools, oy! That's gonna cost me some. At least I know what to buy.
Easy come easy go I guess.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #187
NomadGal OP
Esther

The ADV meet in Asheville was fun, and quite a few folks showed up.

The food wagon had a few things a vegetarian like me could eat, the spinach empanadas were superb!

Finished my windshield this morning, and put it back on Spirit. She has a lot of character now! Haha, she'll tell me she had a lot of character before the broken windshield.

Shane spend the morning digging in the trenches, nope, not prison work.... :) He was laying down the water pipes to his new house, and I guess it had to be about 2 feet down in the earth for the water not to freeze in the winter.

This spider was about three inches or more wide, and carrying her eggs on her back, at least that's what Shane said.
I do not mind spiders, but this one was a tad creepy.

Afterward I took a shower, packed up and the both of us left for Cuttle's house around 5.

Shane riding Spirit down to a more tractable area on the road. I didn't fancy breaking the windshield again.

You can't see depth! this road went up really steep

Shane coming down

We got to Cuttle's house around 6:30.
I think Cuttle is like Dr. Doollitle! 5 cats, 3 dogs, 2 goats, and lots of chickens.
We ate a great dinner and talked to late in the night.
Spirit ran poorly on our way there, and I am afraid to ride her any further. She made a lot of noise, and started pinging too.
I'm going to take her top off tomorrow, and Hunter is going to check the valves.
I had wanted to do this at Dan's house, but now I have this gut feeling that I shouldn't ride her that far anymore.
Tomorrow will tell.
Will take the carb off to and check the jets.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #188
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,012
Good report.Sorry to hear about your spill.If I would have known about the adv meet,I would have rode up yesterday to meet some inmates.Unfortunately rain is heading in this weekend and I will be away the rest of today and tomorrow.If you make it down south a little ways,there is Harvest Day Festival in Inman,SC.I live outside Inman.There is arts and crafts along with many other things.Good thing is,it is about 3 or 4 miles off I-26 in Inman.Parking is free and it's free admission.Before all the housing developments sprang up,we used to be one of the top peach producers.

http://www.inmanscchamber.org/harvest-day/

http://www.discoversouthcarolina.com/products/2181.aspx
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #189
Hrtsoutwest
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hey Esther,
We're heading back up to White Pine Lake tomorrow...if you hurry the heck up we'll "save" a campsite( or two) for you.
So when you made it across the Mac bridge we knew we could stop worrying about you...well mostly...way to go! No Wind!
Been putting some thought into your bike lift invention...poor Spirit...oh well at least you weren't stuck under her/him like bear bait. You're covering some ground aren't you? Just remember if the ducks and geese are passing you the cold is right behind you keep heading south! Steve/Nancy&Mike
Hrtsoutwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #190
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,802
shop day:

vlaves: check
carb: check... we think (Esther is still putting the bike back together)

and I gotta say, her sewing skills are impressive!

Cuttle screwed with this post 09-28-2012 at 06:02 PM
Cuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #191
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 636
Great ride report.....

NomadGal,

This is one of the best ride reports that I've ever read in the five years that I've been on here. (I didn't register for a couple of years at first.) Anyway, I'm reading and looking and still won't finish it tonight. There's so much information and excitement and the enjoyment never ends. I hope you don't mind me saying but you really look very nice and add a whole lot to the world of motorcycles! Thanks much for taking the time to provide this great trip for the rest of us.

Stay safe,

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Rid

Oldone screwed with this post 09-29-2012 at 05:53 PM
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #192
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
NomadGal,

This is one of the best ride reports that I've ever read in the five years that I've been on here. (I didn't register for a couple of years at first.) Anyway, I'm reading and looking and still won't finish it tonight. There's so much information and excitement and the enjoyment never ends. I hope you don't mind me saying but you really look very nice and add a whole lot to the world of motorcycles! Thanks much for taking the time to provide this great trip for the rest of us.

Stay safe,

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Rid
Well thank you! I am very flattered. :)
I do however definitely not feel that mine is the best of ride reports, still..... it's really fun sharing my adventure and getting feedback.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:10 AM   #193
NomadGal OP
Esther

Well, changed one of the shims yesterday, put a larger jet in because she was running way too lean, and put her back together.
She started fine, but no go, she sounds even worse then before and with a strange prominent surging too.
Checking the cam chain tension again today, and see if it is loose. Then if no difference, take jet back out and see if there is a difference. Troubleshooting is tough!! Wished I had more knowledge.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:17 AM   #194
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,879
Quote:
Well, changed one of the shims yesterday, put a larger jet in because she was running way too lean, and put her back together.
She started fine, but no go, she sounds even worse then before and with a strange prominent surging too.
Checking the cam chain tension again today, and see if it is loose. Then if no difference, take jet back out and see if there is a difference. Troubleshooting is tough!! Wished I had more knowledge.
Has the 'doohickey' been changed?

I'm assuming that you are familiar with the fabled KLR doohickey mod?
Old 09-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #195
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post
Has the 'doohickey' been changed?

I'm assuming that you are familiar with the fabled KLR doohickey mod?
Yep, did that last spring in Diamond Lake Washington.
Re-checked it and it is still good