Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #196
Paddygfw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post
Has the 'doohickey' been changed?

I'm assuming that you are familiar with the fabled KLR doohickey mod?
WOW!!! You can learn so much on this forum
Paddygfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #197
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

Oddometer: 836
Well...... (my favorite word)........ Still don't know what's going on with Spirit.
We took the side cover off, checked out the cam chain, and it was up spec.
Still, lots of metal in the oil filter, and still loud grinding noise on left side of engine.

We had a bit of a mishap, cam chain guide bolt snapped inside the engine.
Drilled a small hole in the bolt with a Dremel tool, and used an easy out afterward to turn it out. It worked! Phew!!!!

Hunter was awesome, he was very patient while I did things. I am a tad slower with everything I guess.
Even Silke is very knowledgeable and was brainstorming with us.
I put everything back on her and decided to call it quits.
I am just going to ride her until she stops, or until someone comes up with an idea as to what it could be, and I have the ability and the place to do it.

NomadGal screwed with this post 09-29-2012 at 04:43 PM
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #198
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,416
Shit

Is the noise constant? Meaning...do you hear it in every gear including neutral? Clutch in, clutch out etc....

knybanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #199
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 2,697
Quote:
Shit

Is the noise constant? Meaning...do you hear it in every gear including neutral? Clutch in, clutch out etc....
Transmission shaft needle bearing?Shooting in the dark.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #200
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

Quote:
Shit

Yep constant in every gear and in neutral too.

We are thinking counter balancer shafts.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:03 AM   #201
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
have you asked jettin jim i know that guy is a wiz with klrs i bet he would know i was in shock when i saw all he did to his
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:07 AM   #202
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
hey does jim still have that motor that was sent to the wrong address
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:16 AM   #203
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper770 View Post
hey does jim still have that motor that was sent to the wrong address
Haha, nope, we just cancelled the order and it got shipped back. Jim didn't know what it could be either, and he will no longer have a shop in the near future, so I'm just gonna hope she hangs in there for a while.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:57 AM   #204
Bad-Tat
800 XC

Oddometer: 123
It was great meeting you yesterday in NC! Hope you found the Linville gorge ok!
Best of luck with your engine issues and have fun with the rest of your trip!

1995 XR 650L, Tiger 800 XC, 72 Triumph T100R, 86 SRX 6, 05 FLSTSCI, 13 Vespa 300, 08 Versys, 14 Grom
Bad-Tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #205
_anatic
Plated

Oddometer: 1,059
Thought you might know someone who could use this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbonian View Post
Posting this up for AnjinSan who has now left the US for Mexico and parts South.

I have a US National Parks pass. It was purchased in April of this year so I imagine it's good through the end of March next year.

AnjinSan's one request is that we try to get this to someone who is journeying on a motorcycle so if you call dibs also tell us about your trip.

If we don't get someone interested who is on a trip by the weekend then it will be a free-for-all.

I can just throw this in an envelope with a stamp so no shipping cost needed.
The post is here.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #206
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by _anatic View Post
Thought you might know someone who could use this:

The post is here.
Thanks Shane! I have one already though, I'll think about who else might like one.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #207
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-Tat View Post
It was great meeting you yesterday in NC! Hope you found the Linville gorge ok!
Best of luck with your engine issues and have fun with the rest of your trip!
Hi Bad-Tat, that was classic!
First time someone walks up to me and says, Hey I recognize you ,, you must be NomadGal.
Hehe, felt like a celebrity for a second there. :loll
Was great meeting you too, hope you got to Ohio save and sound
Old 10-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #208
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

Where did I leave off? it seems so long ago, but in reality it isn't.
I had a great time with Silke and Hunter, they are really nice and made me feel at home.
With Silke being German that wan't too hard, felt like I was back in Europe again.
We had some awesome dinners in the evening Silke is a great cook.
I asked Hunter how they met, and theirs is one of those romantic meets. I should have Silke, (Cuttle) tell you the story.
On Saturday Feike, MotoMedic, dropped by too, he had gotten poured on while on his way to Marsh Hill.

The next day Silke rode Feike and me to the road heading to the Parkway. We were joined by??? Ahhh, forgot his name, I call him blue sweater because he was wearing a sweater I would have nabbed if I could have :)
The four of us took a dirt road to get to the parkway, pretty awesome way!

We were joined later on by two guys on V-Stroms who were in desperate need of a gas station. They were in luck, there was one nearby.

We said goodbye to Silke and BlueSweater and headed North toward Lynneville Gorge for some free forest camping.

We did stop by Mount ????? and took some pictures

That was just a nice rock I thought

I could not stop taking pictures of the colors, but most of them were too blurry, forgot to put the antishake option of the camera on
At a gas station this guy walked up to me and said, "Hey I recognize you, you must be NomadGal!" He introduced himself as Bad-Tat, he was on his bike heading back home. It was really weird meeting someone who is reading your forum just like that out of nowhere. It's one thing to warn people ahead of time you are dropping by, but quite another to stumble upon someone.

We found an epic camping spot, utterly free (I just love that, can't help it!) and pitched our tents.
I let Feike pic the spot he wanted to pitch his tent on. He picked the right one, and then commented that it wasn't a very good choice because if it started raining he'd have a river under his tent. He was gonna dig a trench.

My spot looked okay but I figured that the sandy soil would absorb whatever rain we had.

We cooked our dinners and sat by the camp fire and talked about our lives, well, Feike did mot of the talking. Haha, that was fine by me, I was a tad tired anyway.

It rained that night, but not bad. Still the tents were wet, and we decided to just take a day off and relax.
We didn't see much of each other Feike was reading and smoking in his tent, and I was knitting, reading, snoozing, and watching movies in my tent. Then around noon he chanced the weather and went to McDonalds for internet, and I took a nap.

That night it poured, with a capitol P. I have to say that I stayed dry even thug I could feel the sand under me move and saw the water moving the tent floor. My pad kept me warm and I slept like a baby.
Feike was not as lucky :(
Poor guy was out in the middle of the night finally digging that trench that he had meant to dig when we got there.
In the morning his tent was soaked, along with all of his belongings. Hotel time he said.

The weather forecast also had said thunderstorms, so I didn't want to chance another river under my tent.
We packed up our stuff and rolled up our wet tents. I don't like doing that , not good for my tent.

The mushrooms loved the rain!

We rode back on the dirt road, which had turned into a bit of a challenge by now.
and headed for a gas station. I had lost my map so I got a new one.

We must have made quite the picture

Feike and I said goodbye and went our separate ways, I am sure we'll bump into each other again some time.

I headed toward Ellenboro to see MicroDan, a fellow KLR rider.
The weather did not look like thunderstorms if you asked me.

IStopped in Forest City for some grub and tea, and PMed Dan. He was back at home luckily. His daughter just had back surgery and was in Asheville at the hospital. I felt this was bad timing on my part, but Dan was very hospitable, and let me dry my wet tent and gear on his lawn.
Tonight I get to sleep in his camper, cool!

Sat outside on the lawn while Dan went back to Asheville, and ate dinner.
The sunset was awesome that night my camera does not do it justice.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #209
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

Hmmm, my life is getting repetitive!

Dan and I brainstormed some......... he put the stethoscope to the engine and agreed that something was definitely not right.
Determined to figure out what it was, I decided to take the cover off again. Dan suggested we remove the balancer chain, put her back together and if she still made the noise, it would be the master bearing, if she sounded better it would be the balancer bearing. But if she were to sound better he said, it would have to be the luckiest day in my life, and I would have to run out and buy some lottery tickets.
He didn't own a flywheel wrench so he made one. crude but utterly functional and strong!

We got to the chain and now I need to partially remove the cam chain, and then the balancer chain.

I also decided to take the right side cover off, and found more metal pieces in the case and oil, this time they were magnetic!
So yeah, looks like a bearing for sure, but which one?
I cleaned the right side as best as I could, and seeing as I messed up the gasket, I ended up making one.
Dan said a manilla folder with liquid gasket would work

Made the pattern

Cut it out

So now I'm going to do that, and then back to the difficult stuff
Old 10-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #210
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

Got back to the difficult stuff, and decided to take a look at the clutch plates while the engine was open.
They where impeccable, Dan said they looked brand new, but as far as I know they have never been replaced.
I did see some minute slivers here and there, but figured they were spread through the engine by the bearings.
We had secretly been hoping that it was the clutch and not one of the bearings that was causing all the racket.
Then when I was just about to remove the cam chain, Dan said that he just realized that the water pump was driven by the balancer chain. Well.... that basically shot our plan to pieces!
We had thought that by disconnecting the balancer chain we would not be causing any more damage to the bearing, and I could ride with the engine just vibrating more. Not gonna work I guess! Darn!
I can't for the life of me figure out why the bearings were not made more accessible. It looks like the only way to get this fixed is by cracking the case open. Talk about a ton of work, gaskets, time and money. And don't forget the patience and accidental screwup factor.
I am calling it a night and decided to sleep on it.
So right now I am safely ensconced in Dan's very luxurious mobile home!
I have to admit that this thing is rather fabulous, they make them very comfy and homey.

I have all the commodities one could possible need.
Electric to charge all my electronic junk, a shower and bathroom, a gas stove for cooking, and if you look closely you'll see a coffee percolator. Wow!
Did I mention the bed??? Super comfy! It's like sleeping on clouds.
So even though I am sad about Spirit, part of me feels that all will be well, and not to worry. I can figure this out!

NomadGal screwed with this post 10-03-2012 at 06:01 PM