Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #211
TrailRaider
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Sorry to hear about Spirit

Hey Esther,

Sorry to hear about your current troubles with your bike. Hope you can resolve your issues expediently! Meanwhile, once you get back on two tires and you find yourself in Northwestern South Carolina, I have an extra bed and shower for you if you need it. I enjoyed our conversation as we camped near one another at Doughton State Park on the Blue Ridge Parkway on 9-22-12. Hope to hear from you soon.

Craig
TrailRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #212
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailRaider View Post
Hey Esther,

Sorry to hear about your current troubles with your bike. Hope you can resolve your issues expediently! Meanwhile, once you get back on two tires and you find yourself in Northwestern South Carolina, I have an extra bed and shower for you if you need it. I enjoyed our conversation as we camped near one another at Doughton State Park on the Blue Ridge Parkway on 9-22-12. Hope to hear from you soon.

Craig
Hi Craig, nice to hear from you! I am getting help from a lot of people here, and we are hauling my open bike in a trailer to Liberty SC tonight. Steve, whom I haven't met yet, is letting me borrow his garage so I can take my engine apart and replace the bearings.
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #213
NomadGal OP
Esther

The world is filled with awesome people!
Staying with Dan was so pleasant the I almost forgot Spirit was broken.
I learned how to make small engines for model airplanes too. Haha, love to learn new things!
Then I met Howard from Forest City's Honda store and his brother in law who drove me to Greenville South Carolina, with Spirit on a trailer, to meet up with Steve who graciously offered to let me use their his garage to work on my bike.
My Dad would say I fell with my butt in the butter! Instead of this (having a broken bike) being a negative thing, it turns out to be an amazing experience. There is a lot of kindness in everyone I meet. I feel very blessed and lucky.
This weekend I am going to have to crack the engine open and replace the bearings. I hope nothing got shredded in there other than that..... keeping my fingers crossed!
But tomorrow I am going to have fun helping Steve's wife paint her new store.

I think I am a ?????? someone who is fascinated with mushrooms? Is there a name for that?
Anyway, took some pics of these awesome mushrooms in Dan's yard.

Aren't they just utterly gorgeous??
Old 10-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #214
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
... I think I am a ?????? someone who is fascinated with mushrooms? Is there a name for that? ...
If you're studying them you'd be a mycologist.
Hope the engine troubles aren't too difficult to repair.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #215
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,347
holy cow .. you sure are having a lot mechanicals. hope it gets better!
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #216
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,583
Mushroom lover is Fungo Amante in italian. Has a nice ring to it. Might have to re-name the bike Fungo Amante Spirito.

And yes, you meet the nicest people when your bike breaks down. Just another part of the adventure. Sometimes the best part when you look back in years to come.

Ciao,
John Downs
Old 10-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #217
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,410

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #218
Feyala
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Painting?

Hey, I've seen you mention painting a couple times on here and I am curious.

What do you paint?

What medium do you use?

Do you have work posted anywhere online?

At a convention I recently went to, I was turned on to the idea that watercolors and gouache are small and packable, so I might be getting into that. My acrylics won't travel well (messy), and sculpture is straight out (fragile, bulky, impractical), but I need at least a few hobbies or I start to go a bit nuts. :)
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #219
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyala View Post
Hey, I've seen you mention painting a couple times on here and I am curious.

What do you paint?

What medium do you use?

Do you have work posted anywhere online?

At a convention I recently went to, I was turned on to the idea that watercolors and gouache are small and packable, so I might be getting into that. My acrylics won't travel well (messy), and sculpture is straight out (fragile, bulky, impractical), but I need at least a few hobbies or I start to go a bit nuts. :)
Hey Fey, I am working on a project, a set of cards, that I am keeping to myself for a while longer.
I am bringing acrylics, and they are taking up about 1/3 of one of my cases! OY!
If you want to get something small, you can get one of these:

I used to have one just like it.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #220
NomadGal OP
Esther

Well!! After a long day taking the engine off and apart, we are no closer to discovering what is causing the noise and the shell slivers in the oil.

Doohickey still good

cam chain came off easily and was clean, not damaged
Balancer chain came off easily and no damage either, not even in the case, it looked perfect

Steve made a clutch basket tool out of a harbor freight welder's tool seeing as we had no way to hold the clutch basket while turning the bolt loose

Filling up the table with pieces

The cylinder head looked pretty tarnished, going to have to clean that.

empty bike almost, ready to take the rest of the engine.

cracked her open!

We couldn't see any slivers inside, but 2 of the bearings don't turn quire smoothly, but they are not grinding either.
So now we are not sure how smoothly the balancer bearing and the other bearing are supposed to turn.
Tomorrow I am taking the right side back off again to look at the other side of the bearings.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #221
Feyala
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
Hey Fey, I am working on a project, a set of cards, that I am keeping to myself for a while longer.
I am bringing acrylics, and they are taking up about 1/3 of one of my cases! OY!
If you want to get something small, you can get one of these:

I used to have one just like it.
Yeaaah, the bulk is what I dislike, I gave away a whole box of acrylics when I left Phoenix last. I was thinking about a set similar to that, but gouache seems like it might be more up my alley.. I love the thin washes watercolor can accomplish, but gouache can be thinned down enough for a wash or be used as an opaque filler. Like watercolor, gouache can be reactivated with water and pushed around more. Hmm.

Well, I for one would like to see your cards when you feel like sharing them! Do you have any past projects? I am curious!
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:21 AM   #222
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,410
Well, my usual M.O. is if I've got the thing that far apart, I simply replace all the bearings.

Remember, Kawasaki doesn't make bearings, they buy 'em just like the rest of us. Finding the bearings elsewhere might be a bit of a pain, but can save up to 75%. Look at McMaster-Carr, Grainger or Applied Technologies for pricing before purchasing at a dealer. There might also be an aftermarket supplier like All Balls that has replacements.

As for the carbon on top of the piston, that's not really a huge concern. Clean it if you feel the need, but know that the first few miles will have it looking like that again.

Determining if a chain has reached the end of it's service life includes measuring the length, as the individual chain components wear the chain will "stretch",altering cam/balancer timing. Doesn't sound like that's your problem though. The noise was much more of a bad bearing noise.

Good luck, and remember I'm not that far away if you feel like you need my help.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #223
Ed~
What, Me Worry?

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
Well, my usual M.O. is if I've got the thing that far apart, I simply replace all the bearings.
A most definite +1 on that. You've gone through way too much work tearing down the engine like that to find the problem wasn't addressed because a $5/$10 bearing wasn't changed. In replacing all the bearings you will find the bad one eventually.

Also, per Motomedic, keep in mind the quality of the bearings you are putting back in for longevity. In general, look at the country of origin... China is always cheaper in price and quality than European; Spain and Portugal possibly less preferable than German. Japanese bearings is always good for a Japanese bike... feeling wise.

And yes, you will most certainly save money buying them from all from a bearings shop than the Kawi Stealership. But the one thing you will have to buy from the shop is a new side cover gasket. Your manila folder one, though pretty and certainly shows you're a detail oriented person, will not likely keep oil from passing for long if only because of the original folder creases.

Ed~ screwed with this post 10-07-2012 at 12:03 PM
Ed~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #224
NomadGal OP
Esther

Looks like it's the main bearing and 4 other smaller ones.

The oil filter did a great job keeping most of the slivers out of the important parts, but I did find minute slivers in some places.
The main bearing is not smooth anymore and you can really hear it rumble, like something is loose.
I recorded it, but you can't really hear it very well, my camera does not pick up sound very well.

http://youtu.be/4ZYDdtUqQDQ
Old 10-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #225
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed~ View Post
A most definite +1 on that. You've gone through way too much work tearing down the engine like that to find the problem wasn't addressed because a $5/$10 bearing wasn't changed. In replacing all the bearings you will find the bad one eventually.

Also, per Motomedic, keep in mind the quality of the bearings you are putting back in for longevity. In general, look at the country of origin... China is always cheaper in price and quality than European; Spain and Portugal possibly less preferable than German. Japanese bearings is always good for a Japanese bike... feeling wise.

And yes, you will most certainly save money buying them from all from a bearings shop than the Kawi Stealership. But the one thing you will have to buy from the shop is a new side cover gasket. Your manila folder one, though pretty and certainly shows you're a detail oriented person, will not likely keep oil from passing for long if only because of the original folder creases.
Haha, yep, ordering normal gaskets for sure, and am still looking around for the bearings.