Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #661
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgio View Post
If you go to Quick Links - User Control Panel and Edit Options, down near the bottom, you can choose the Forum skin, which changes the way the website appears. I like ADVrider 2.0
Yay, got my old look backturns out it's the adv2.0 Thanks sgio !
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:51 AM   #662
_anatic
Plated

Oddometer: 1,060
Apparently I hate change too.
Glad your feeling better, I bet your ready to be back on the road.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #663
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

Today I stayed true to my word and did literally nothing! At least nothing physical, LOL!
Snoozed and read and ate. Looks like the fever can't make up it's mind whether to stay or go, as it kept on showing up and leaving again.
As I was resting in my tent I realized how windy it was out there, glad my tent pegs were holding up.

Loads of birds here! I'm thinking that when the birds move south for the winter, they all end up in this area!

The birds in the mandarin tree under which I am camped showed their presence by leaving me the remains of their food.

Got to wash my tent tomorrow. I meant to take a picture but I forgot. Hopefully I will remember it once I get back, and will put it in this post. Looks pretty gross actually! took photo!
At around 4 I decided it was time for a shower, and then head to the library to check my email and such. there is only so much you can do on an eentsy little cellphone!
Wallyword is next for some food for the road, and I'll be off tomorrow to check out St Padre island and then back to my in-laws in Pasadena.

Oh yeah!!! Almost forgot! Ever been to a Starbuck where you couldn't drink the water in a cup because it kept zapping you? I couldn't believe it, had an oatmeal before my last day of work, and asked for a cup of water. Every time I tried to take a sip, I'd get shocked as soon as my lip touched the water. I thought maybe it was me, and waited a while, tried again and found it was actually worse. Oh yeah said the girl, that happens here when you our water in the plastic cups! I decided to get a straw, and that took care of the problem. But still.........what's up with that???

NomadGal screwed with this post 03-02-2013 at 08:39 AM
Old 02-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #664
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,001
Starbucks, figures. Excited water molecules:
set phasers to stun
Old 02-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #665
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 96,481
I googled around a little and came up with this:

http://www.electrostatics.org/images/I1.pdf
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #666
Cubdriver
Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer: 645
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post

Thanks Klay. Perfectly clear now. LOL

For Mrs CD:F650GS, Yamaha TW 200, G650GS
Cubdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #667
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,474
Thumb

Pretty much what Gunny over on KLRWorld told her... Quote: " humidity, or lack of it, the water in the cup moves around, kind of "charges" up and then when a suitable ground is found ..... pop, you get zapped, people laugh."
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #668
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
What would I ever do without you Jim?
Will send you pm
IMS Cap and 1/4"i.d. Blue vent hose with one way valve shipped today.... Should be there by Friday.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #669
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post

Haha, yeah, I too must admit that reading all that info made my mind boggle little!
Thanks though
Old 03-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #670
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
IMS Cap and 1/4"i.d. Blue vent hose with one way valve shipped today.... Should be there by Friday.
Yay, got it Jim!
I'm in Pasadena now, and trying to figure out whether I should go puck up the tank at HoggJaww's and bring it back here, or to put it on over there. Haven't made up my mind yet.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #671
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

I am back in Pasadena at my in-laws.
The ride back North over South Padre island was an adventure for sure, but even before heading out I had a bit of a mishap the night before I left.
During the time I worked, all my rides to work and back never had me wonder what my fuel level was.
I was so drained at the end of the day that I totally forgot to take care of Spirit!
So that night as I was shivering on my way back to camp to get my jacket, I also forgot to put fuel in. I got back to the campsite, donned my jacket and headed out to the grocery store to purchase my rations for on the road. 1/4 mile out of the park Spirit stuttered and died. I had a sudden insight right before she did, that I hadn't put any gas in her in a while, and that I had been running on reserve. Still, I got lucky in that I was only half a mile from a gas station. So I pushed her along the road in the dark, leaving me lights and blinker on. It was an experience for sure, but at least now I know that I can push her fairly easily. Mind you, I had no gear on her, so I was very thankful that it happened then and not after I was fully loaded the next day.

Before leaving the campsite I took a few pics

Once in a while, when it was windy, one of those mandarins would fall off the branch and hit my tent with a thump

Someone thought that sticking fake flowers on the plant was a good idea!

A lot of these folks at the RV park still rode. This is Rad, with his fairly new trike

I left Oleander RV park rather late, but I figured I didn't have that far to go that day, so it didn't matter.

I love it when birds glide right overhead!

on the bridge heading into Port Isabel

some fancy areas on South Padre island

Yep! Lots of sand on the road! My favorite thing, lol

Saw this bike parked in that same spot every time, wonder where the owner was.

View towards the bay

It got trickier in some areas

Someone had made camp at the end of the road, and it looked like everyone was fine with that.

I finally found an acceptable spot, but realized that pegs are absolutely useless in sand. On top of that it was really windy too! A girl's got to be inventive now and then, and I found another great use for Hefty ziplock bags!

I made myself dinner and hung out in my tent (it was too nippy outside because of the wind) waiting for the moon to rise.
I missed full moon by a day, but it was still pretty impressive!

Not anywhere near as nice as JettnJim's photo, but still pretty cool!

I slept great that night but woke up way too early in the morning. It was pretty cold but no wind.
I decided to go for a little walk in the dunes and on the beach.

Saw a row of bunny prints

Then all of a sudden some disturbance, as if a predator tried to grab it

He must have escaped, but now the prints where heavier and deeper, as if it was indeed running for its life!

I just caught the sunrise in the East!

And the moon still setting in the West

Seeing as I now have a little tripod, I tried some self shots

Some of the dunes looked pretty out there

Not sure how a chunk of fish scales came to be on the beach like that

Pretty cool looking seaweed

I spent the whole morning lying in my tent and reading, ad when it got too hot in the afternoon I rode into town to go to MacD to post my RR. Unfortunately the wifi at that particular MacD was crap! After 10 minutes only 2 photos uploaded on photo bucket, so I decided to just do it once I got back to Pasadena.

That evening the wind picked up and I found myself climbing out of my tent several times at night to anchor down the tent.
When I woke in the morning everything in the tent was coated with a fine layer of sand, even myself!
packing everything and breaking down the tent during howling wind was a challenge
I even got to act like a football player chasing my tent bag that snapped out of my fingers.
Try running through deep sand all the while trying to grab a bag. I eventually lunged for it and just barely got a hold of it!
Landing in sand is not as soft as it looks!

I finally left around 11 and rode North.

some of the buildings in South Padre were pretty creative!

I passed the border patrol easily, they indeed only asked if I was an American citizen, and wished me happy travels.
That day I rode in windy but sunny conditions and didn't really take any pictures as Hwy77 is not exactly picturesque.
I did see this fruit stand that also sold pottery. Pretty amazing creations!

This gas station closed a while ago, look at the gas price!

I got back to the campground along the Hwy, the first one I stopped at on my way down, and pitched my tent. I was exhausted. A lady place officer called Deedee, stopped by ;and we talked about riding for a while. She used to but stopped, because it made her husband a nervous wreck. Lately however he seems to be missing riding again, so hopefully one day she'll find herself back on a bike.
I bit the dust at 8PM and slept till 8AM. I needed this!!
As I was breaking camp a park ranger showed up asking me for my permit. Permit????
Yikes, turns out I needed to get one from downtown Corpus Christi. They are free, but not having one costs a $150 fine!
Thankfully he was very forgiving and it turns out he also rode.
Years ago he had a huge Goldwing that he rode with his wife, and she was very comfortable on the back seat. He then sold it and got a lighter weight Harley. His wife did not like riding pillion on that one! Then some darn good sales man got him into trying one of the newer Harleys that were similar to the gold wing but lighter, and he ended up buying it. His wife is all happy again! Haha.

This bird kept zooming back and forth in front of me at the campsite, pretty strange, but still great, it allowed me to take some close pics of it.

I left camp around 11 and rode straight to Pasadena on 77 and 59. For once I didn't mind the Hwy/freeway. It was actually really quiet, hardly any traffic until I got near Houston.

My in-laws (or should I say ex in-laws) are really awesome folks. They make me feel very welcome, and their house feels like home.
Today I'm planning on running to the motorcycle shop and getting a new helmet. Mine is slowly biting the dust, and getting very noisy to boot!
Old 03-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #672
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,001
Nice to see you back on the road. And the good pictures.
In particular the penultimate one of the bird with the wings swept forward for air. Very action.
It looks a larus philadelphia (a kind of small seagull, indigenous in Northern America but occasionally winds up in our country). I'm not sure though, not an expert.

Don't forget to gas up
Old 03-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #673
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

Yay! Picked up my tank today!
I wasn't sure if I could handle riding 280 miles in one day, but going 70 miles and hour on Interstate 10 made it not take too long. I think I am getting over my freeway fear
I'm glad I picked a Sunday to go see HoggJaww again and pick up the IMS tank.
The way there was really quiet.
Got to Harry's house at around 1 hung for a little while, and then strapped the tank to the back

Harry in the back ground! I am so glad I got that rack on the back of Spirit, it makes hauling stung so much easier

Rode home fairly soon afterward, and decided to get a frappuchino halfway back to keep me alert.

See that brand spanking new helmet??? My Schubert bit the dust, and I could not find a helmet I liked. I ended up getting this one because it was light and on sale, $59. It is not a quiet helmet however, and I realized that I am going to have to figure out how to put earplug in my ears. After 9 months I still can't do it correctly. They just won't stay in!!
Harry gave me some nice ones, and my left ear was less troublesome, and the sound dampened fairly good, but my right ear was giving me problems, and no matter what, it would not keep the plug in. Oh well!

Turns out that a lot of folks must have been on their way home, because the freeway was pretty packed.
I decided to take the frontage road, wow! Very nice!!!!!

No big lumbering trucks next to me, no needing to pass and get passed, perfect!

Got back to Pasadena at 5, worn out but happy that I did it.
Tomorrow I'm going to figure out how to mount it, and change my oil as well.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #674
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Excellent!!! Your gonna have all the range you need... and radiator protection too. If we get together again or I just free up some time I could make you a radiator side brace.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #675
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
hey Nomad are you going to paint it ?
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote