Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 06:23 AM   #676
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
Excellent!!! Your gonna have all the range you need... and radiator protection too. If we get together again or I just free up some time I could make you a radiator side brace.
Cool! Thanks Jim!
I am going to have my work cut out for me today seeing as the tank came with no hardware whatsoever.
Think I might call Harry first to see if might have it lying around somewhere
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #677
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper770 View Post
hey Nomad are you going to paint it ?
I wished I could Rowdy, but you can't paint IMS tanks, the paint will bubble because of the fuel vapors through the plastic.
I wonder what a sharpie can do
Old 03-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #678
coachjpg
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Earplugs can be hard to fit, but the shooting community has solutions. If you stop by any large gun or hunting store, they'll have custom-fit earplug kits. You can also google for custom ear plugs and order the kit on-line.

You seem brave about stepping way outside your comfort zone, so I'll mention another possibility. If you go to any large gun show, there's usually a booth there with guys who will make you custom earplugs on the spot. They do this for a living, and they know how to take care of folks who struggle with earplug fit.

Be careful about getting too effective in blocking your hearing on the road. You need to be able to hear horns and sirens. Where I live, it's illegal to operate a vehicle on the roads while wearing earplugs.
coachjpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #679
smash81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Holy sweet tank batman!! Good luck with the install, I find an ACE hardware to be very helpful. ;) I dig the sharpie idea too.

I'm with you on the earplugs, can't stand the darn things. I probably need to go the custom molded route. Rode most of last year with no hearing protection (bad Smash), Karla made me promise this year I wouldn't do that.
Salvaged 2006 Ninja 650R - his
2000 ZR7 - hers
smash81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #680
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachjpg View Post
Earplugs can be hard to fit, but the shooting community has solutions. If you stop by any large gun or hunting store, they'll have custom-fit earplug kits. You can also google for custom ear plugs and order the kit on-line.

You seem brave about stepping way outside your comfort zone, so I'll mention another possibility. If you go to any large gun show, there's usually a booth there with guys who will make you custom earplugs on the spot. They do this for a living, and they know how to take care of folks who struggle with earplug fit.

Be careful about getting too effective in blocking your hearing on the road. You need to be able to hear horns and sirens. Where I live, it's illegal to operate a vehicle on the roads while wearing earplugs.
I buy these buy the case.The line pulls out and the ends can be cut short if they are a problem.Northern Tool has them for around $20 a case.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #681
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachjpg View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by smash81 View Post
Holy sweet tank batman!! Good luck with the install, I find an ACE hardware to be very helpful. ;) I dig the sharpie idea too.

I'm with you on the earplugs, can't stand the darn things. I probably need to go the custom molded route. Rode most of last year with no hearing protection (bad Smash), Karla made me promise this year I wouldn't do that.
Thanks guys, I'll check into that!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #682
ben2go
Moto Flunky

We posted at the exact same time.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #683
NomadGal OP
Esther

I am a very lucky gal!
Called Harry about the hardware kit, and it turns out that he never received it.
So I called IMS to order a replacement kit, and told them what happened, and they gave me the kit for free, I just paid the 2-day shipping. Wow! That was so nice of them!
I have plenty to do here anyways, got to replace the faucet in the bathroom sink and the bathtub, so I won't be bored
Old 03-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #684
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I buy these buy the case.The line pulls out and the ends can be cut short if they are a problem.Northern Tool has them for around $20 a case.
Those look different! Can I only buy these online?
Old 03-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #685
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
Yes.Check around.Prices vary as well as the dreaded shipping costs.
harbor freight
mc-master carr
lowe's
home depot

any hardware store or tool retailer
Old 03-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #686
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,123
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Yes.Check around.Prices vary as well as the dreaded shipping costs.
harbor freight
mc-master carr
lowe's
home depot

any hardware store or tool retailer
.. $2.47 at the Lowe's I work at .. though I use the foam ones myself ..

I Don't know if you ever listen to "tunes" when riding either, but I also really enjoy my e2C Ear buds with my MP3 Player from time to time (ahem, it is reported that we are not supposed to do that when operating a motor vehicle, but I've never forced the issue or had the issue enforced even when getting any "performance awards") .. the e2C set is getting old and out-dated among the music/recording industry guys so you can pick them up fro far less than they used to retail at .. what makes them worth the money is they also come with different size tips so you can mix and match them for best effect, and they also have foam and soft rubber/nylon ones too .. fair warning .. these dramatically reduce the road noise (to the point you usually have to remove them to even talk to another rider) so you don't have to crank up the tunes, or even play any tunes at all, BUT, you also can't hear your bike when jammin' to your favorite tunes .. sometimes that matters ..

(edit) .. it can be a trick to get a well-fitting helmet over these sometimes, but you can adjust them by sliding your hands up inside your helmet (end edit)

.. personally, I can't take hours upon hours of jammin' to music and remain fresh (or without a headache) .. much less the hours of wind noise when long-riding .. it's pretty amazing how much fatigue noise can cause .. along with wind blowing across your eyes (eyelashes) .. but you probably already know all this ..

.. really enjoying your ride report .. Ride Blessed ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #687
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,740
Eek

Quote:
Be careful... I've found the ones with the extensions and tethers (like in the pic) stick out and transmit ALOT of vibration/sound into my ears.
Won't use 'em anymore.
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #688
PaulGir
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
It is not a quiet helmet however, and I realized that I am going to have to figure out how to put earplug in my ears. After 9 months I still can't do it correctly. They just won't stay in!!
Harry gave me some nice ones, and my left ear was less troublesome, and the sound dampened fairly good, but my right ear was giving me problems, and no matter what, it would not keep the plug in.
The trick to fitting earplugs is to pull your ear up and back to open and straighten the ear canal.
I used to use both hands to do this but now I can do it with one hand: pinching the ear between my thumb and forefinger and pushing the plug in with the middle finger.

If you are using foam earplugs,they aren't really designed for multiple use - the foam looses it's ability to recover it's shape.

I use Moldex Rockets cheap re-usable silicone plugs

http://www.moldex.com/hearing-protec...gs/rockets.php
PaulGir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #689
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
inserting ear plugs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV1tuq03t9Y
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #690
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommu56 View Post
Lol, she makes it look so easy!
I've tried it like this for months, the foam won't slide in far enough to stay put.
I have realy narrow ear canals, and I vaguely remember a doctor telling me once that it is waved, going up and down, not straight. Go figure, it might explain my excellent hearing (albeit selective)