Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #706
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
One bummer last night, while riding home on the freeway Spirit started stuttering
Friend of mine had trouble with stalls etc after installing a IMS tank. Turned out to be the petcock.

Quote:
I also (finally after a lot of shipping errors) got my Sherpa 50 adventure kit in! I'm excited!!
The plan is to attach the solar panel on top of my dry sack and sleeping mat, and collect sunlight, AKA electric, while riding. That way once I get to where I am going the battery pack will be fully charged. Of course on rainy days I can slide the battery pack in my tank bag and charge it via my cigarette lighter plug.
Looks neat. Will be interested in how you find it working for you.

Wonder if a person could hook up a small generator driven by wind and use it to create some electricity. I remember having a little generator on my old bicycle that would run a light. Changing it over to be driven by a small fan the size of a computer type fan would not be a far stretch. May be something to look into for the adv crowd as we are always in the open and always moving but not always in the sun.
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #707
Ezyrydr
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Awesome Read!

Thank you for sharing. It has been a great read while looking at the wet frozen weather of South Dakota today. I am so looking forward to warmer days. I ride every day there is no ice on the roads. Cold be damned!...but that ice, not very friendly.
Ezyrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #708
PaulGir
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
Friend of mine had trouble with stalls etc after installing a IMS tank. Turned out to be the petcock.

Looks neat. Will be interested in how you find it working for you.

Wonder if a person could hook up a small generator driven by wind and use it to create some electricity. I remember having a little generator on my old bicycle that would run a light. Changing it over to be driven by a small fan the size of a computer type fan would not be a far stretch. May be something to look into for the adv crowd as we are always in the open and always moving but not always in the sun.
Most bikes these days also make their own electrickery when they are running lol
PaulGir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #709
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,773
Yes Paulgir, I know bikes already generate power so I wonder why she bought such a device as the Sherpa?

I am sure you are saying it in jest so will leave it at that.
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #710
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post

A turbofan on the side.
Would make interesting pics.
Not a new idea though.

It has been done, still is. On planes.
For specs ask an afficionado which I'm not. But the WW2 german transport plane Junkers 52 ("Aunt Ju") had a windmill at the side that powered the electrics.
Modern planes have something similar -still mechanical- that can power essential equipment if all else fails.

But you realize nature is a dreary accountant with no fantasy whatsoever: whatever you win you loose. Every watt won will cost you speed, wear and time.
Remember Lavoisier: "rien ne se perd, rien ne se crée".
Don't be sad: it is because of this we can travel through space.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #711
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,049
Leaving today, heading toward Big Bend to meet up with Feyala.
It just stopped raining and the storm hopefully is moving east! Yay, hitting the road again!
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #712
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Leaving today, heading toward Big Bend to meet up with Feyala.
It just stopped raining and the storm hopefully is moving east! Yay, hitting the road again!
Uh Oh! The Dynamic Duo are meeting up!! Cue dramatic music and go to commercial.....
Regards....justjeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #713
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Hi NomadGal!
Is the Sherpa capable of being charged using vehicle power?
Regards....justjeff
Old 03-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #714
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,346
Quote:
... Of course on rainy days I can slide the battery pack in my tank bag and charge it via my cigarette lighter plug.
Apparently so.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #715
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfey View Post
Apparently so.
Damn!! I totally misread that the first time!!
Regards....justjeff
Old 03-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #716
JMBrad
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Esther, you are an inspiration. Over the last week, I've read every word of this RR and I'm in awe of what you are doing.

I ride a cruiser, but I'm seriously considering an ADV bike after reading this. I just need to the find the time off work. Early retirement maybe ?

Keep the great reports coming and be safe out there!

Jody
JMBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:37 AM   #717
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
big thanks......

Ester,

This has been so fun to read and I just hope that you'll figure out a way to just make this a full-time forever ride! How I'd love to come back every few days and find more news!

Thanks for taking the time as this is great.

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Rid
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #718
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,049
Finally found internet again, of course it happened to be at a MacD, oh well!
Let me backtrack a little

I left my sweet in-laws, Becky and Carl on Sunday after the rain passed.
Of course I checked Spirit's oil level and tire pressure, and happily managed to use my newly acquired skill of successfully inserting my earplugs
I rode of, and was glad I could still hear Spirit's engine loudly, even though I had the plugs in. hadn't gotten very far when I happened to glance down, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
My oil cap was gone!! What the heck???
Did I screw it back on when I checked my oil????
Where is it? My tank, handlebar, pant leg, and my right Pelican case were coated in oil.
Well, I don't think I need to elaborate exactly what I thought about myself at that particular time
As luck would have it, I was parked in front of someone's house, and the owner walked out and asked if everything was all right. I explained what happened, and that I needed the oil to stop from coming out so I could go and backtrack to look for my cap.
He ended up having some aluminum tape, and cleaned off the top real well. Then I went and stuck a double layer of tape on it, after I poured half a quart of oil into Spirit. I thanked the guy profusely saying he saved my neck that day!
I had made it down 3 streets when the pressure ruptured the tape, I needed something stronger!
I had a cocoa/coffee packet in my pocket, placed it on top of the hole and stuck the extra tape the guy had given me over it.

I slowly cruised back to my in-law's house al the while looking on the road for my oil cap.
I was almost there, and still hadn't seen it. As I pulled into the driveway, lo and behold, there it lay!
Boy was I ever glad!! I had already envisioned ordering a new one and having to wait a week for it to get there and not being able to meet up with Fey.
After Spirit got cleaned up and cap put back on it was after 2PM. I wasn't gonna get far today!
Getting out of any big city seems to take forever, but finally after an hour and a half I saw open road again and I relaxed.

I had planned to only go as far as Gonzales that day, so I wasn't too stressed about the late start. The ride was uneventful and there really wasn't much to see that was worth taking a picture of.
As I got to the campsite I was surprised to see that it was in a really nice location, and ok price-wise. I cruised around the camping and noticed to my dismay that all the sites looked full. A lady, the hostess it turned out, waved me down and confirmed my suspicion. Hmmm, guess I'n going to have to look for another spot somewhere. I asked her if she knew of another area that I could camp, or a national forest for primitive camping. She asked her husband, and after a few minutes that said that they could put me in the overflow area, but that it didn't have electricity or water and that it was a little remote. Haha, sometimes I think I am not on the same level of comfort as other folks.
It sounds perfect I told them, and it was! And if I didn't mind walking 3 minutes down the road I could use the showers and bathrooms. LOL!
I pitched my tent and ate. As it got darker I hooked up my little 2 watts, but 170 lumens, lightbulb to the Sherpa50 battery pack, and had a very illuminated tent! Awesome! It had been a weird day, but I learned something, focus on what you are doing, especially when it comes to bike maintenance. I am such a space cadet at times!

I slept like a baby, and woke up early by the sound of bird song and flapping wings

Not sure what bird this is, but there were tons of them flying overhead

I put my Nomad 13.5 panels in the sun and charged my phone. Boy does it ever work! I'm loving it.
Packed up my junk and figured out a way to mount the solar panel to the back, with the battery pack safely in the little attached pouch, so it would charge while I rode. I did end up leaving my pillow, it was just too big!

Perfect! Also, notice my newly duck tape wrapped sleeping pad cover. The peace signs tape started to curl here and there, so I decided I was in the mood for flowers

I left in a happy and light mood and headed for Del Rio, thinking I was going to make it to Del Rio.
The day was sunny and fragrant! It felt like spring was there. Flowers everywhere and their scent was awesome!

I took the quieter roads

cacti everywhere!

After hours of riding I stopped in a little place called Batesville, where I discover to my intense shock that my Spot was missing! What the heck???? This time I really got upset! I hadn't even felt it come off! I remembered having to re-strap it on once because I saw the velcro piece flapping. Had I not strapped it on correctly?
I needed internet to see where I might have lost it, by logging on the the spot site and seeing where my last GPS transmission was. I ended up riding back half an hour to a gas station where I had some cell reception. I logged on and to my dismay discovered that my last transmission had been in Nixon more than 4 hours ago. I was pretty sure then that my Spot had gotten run over, otherwise it would have still been transmitting. Well, I guess that means buying a new Spot, bummer!

Afterward I rode back to where I had been and realized that no way was I going to make it to Del Rio by sundown.
I found a State Park near Bracketville, and headed there.

The sun was setting as I got nearer

The road was pretty desolate, but still I discovered that deer lived here. I was glad that I was riding slow, Spirit sounded awful, and ended up barely avoiding a deer that jumped out in front of me.

I found a campsite, again in the overflow area, and pitched my tent using my little lightbulb dangling from my front tire.
It was getting really cold and I cooked inside the vestibule with the door closed.
When I crawled in my sleeping bag I realized that no way was I going to stay warm, and ended up crawling back out again to get my polar fleece blanket and emergency wrap. Now I was warm.

I woke up in the morning with a very cold nose, and crawled out of my tent to go to the bathroom when I saw this on my tent

What the?????

Awesome!!

I guess it had been cold that night

Amazing, that in this dry and desolate place these little flowers still manage to thrive.

It warmed up as soon as the sun got up in the sky, and I packed and took a shower and paid for my stay.
I could have gotten away with not paying seeing as no one even came and checked, but oh well, I can't help myself at times.
Because Spirit was stuttering the night before and running rough I decided to check her oil.
She was almost empty! What the???????
I ended up pouring almost a whole quart in her, no wonder she sounded rough the night before. Why was I losing oil???
I ended up leaving late, but thought that Big Bend wasn't that far away anyway.
Well, I was in for a surprise!!

More next time, the internet here is excruciatingly slow!
A little sneak peak of what is to come

Fey and I and our GoalZero panels. lol, what a commercial
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #719
Ratman
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,160
NomadGal. I see you two are going to be trouble. I'm eager to see what comes of your travels together.

BTW, Sorry about your Spot. I have a Spot one that I used on a trip, but won't likely use again. Would you like to have it?

From moto trailer
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Ratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #720
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,477
Big Bend NP was a moving experience for me. At one point, I was camped in the backcountry, enjoying the morning routine of coffee and oatmeal, watching the sun come up over the ridge, thinking to myself "I could be a desert rat. I could live here, and be happy."

One of my favorite photos of my trip, taken from one of the abandoned mine buildings:

Enjoy the dez, the both of ya (Hi Fey!)! Wish I could be there right now!

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote