Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #736
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post
Good luck. :fingercrossed

I'm hoping the c/s seal is all it is...that would be sweet.

(catching up on recent events has me worried that the oil loss with the missing cap my have damaged the piston/rings. That will cause pressure to 'blow by' the rings into the crankcase, which in turn increases the crankcase pressure and forces oil out the vent and into the airbox)

I was wondering about that too, but I only rode her for 5 minutes that way, and no faster than 35 mph, still, I will replace the piston rings, I never did last time because bikebandit was out.
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #737
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
A very dirty filter can contribute to oil burning as well as excessive fuel consumption... Seals are usually generic so you can run any brand as long as the measurements are the same... Running an overly tight chain often leads to a counter shaft seal failure... Make sure your chain has a bit of play when the suspension is compressed...
Yeah, filter was definitely gross! My chain is fine though, not tight at all, I have folks tell me it's too loose, but it touches the swing arm easily but not past it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfey View Post
Auto Zone
1502 Silver Heights
(575)388-8808
07:30AM - 09:00PM

Edit: There's also a NAPA @ 2105 Hwy 180 East [(575)538-2997] but I don't know if NAPA loans tools.
Thanks Garfey, I will call them and see if they rent them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
To troubleshoot, the best and easiest way is a compression test. Check with the local auto parts stores if your buddy doesn't have a tester-the "loaner" or rental loots available at some stores is surprising.
But, it does sound like a top end issue is manifesting itself again. Bummer.
Thanks Feike, Jim suggested something similar too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
Very nice. You are a real trooper-the real deal! However, I am amazed that you ride and don't have the need to drink at camp, at least for pain relief.
What pain????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
Awesome update Sister!!! Loving all the pics your taking with the new Olympus!
man haven't been to White Sands since I was a kid... need to ride back.
Keep me posted..
I will Jim, Glad you are liking my photos :)
Peace and lover brother
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubdriver View Post
If you make it up here this summer, depending on timing, my wife and I should be around and you are welcome to camp in the yard. I have a shop with a lift and the basic tools. We are about an hour North of Anchorage on the main road system. Love to hear some of your stories firsthand. Dick
I would love to come and visit, I hope it's in the cards for me :)
Old 03-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #738
Feyala
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
I wasn’t sure if they knew it was me, so I quickly turned around and passed them, waving again. They followed me into the campground where I offered to pay for a campsite for the both of them. The owner had just told me that some sites had become available.
So Fey and Oz pitched their tent in the site near mine.

The only thing was, they would have other people camped near them that night, but Fey didn’t mind she said, she was thankful for a shower.
It's a good thing that you did turn around, because we weren't sure if it was you! Thanks again for paying for our campsite, showers are becoming something of a rare treat for us, LOL!

Thanks for all the awesome pictures! I almost never get pictures of me riding. A lot of those turned out great!

Quote:
She was using this really teensy but very functional liquid alcohol burner that looks like a miniature soda can. I forgot who made it for her, got to see if I can ask him to make me one too.
The Magic Sprite Can was a gift from Pete/RatMan. I'm interested to see if it's his own design or if he can provide instructions, I'd like to make a spare in case this one bites the dust! It's way more efficient than my penny stove...

Quote:
Turns out that Fey, Oz, and the neighbors got along splendidly! Too splendid!
Yeah, whoops. Sorry for my part in that.

Quote:
Now, if I hadn’t been so busy keeping Spirit upright, I might have taken a few pics of the road. As it was all I could do was concentrate and guide Spirit, or maybe she guided me, over all the rocks and boulders and ruts etc., etc.
Fey! This road was not as easy as you led me to believe! LOL.
Awww, sorry to hear you had a hard time with it. It was a pretty bumpy ride for sure, but not too bad if you stand up for most of it. Lots of ruts and bumps and lumps!

Quote:
Absolutely alone in the middle of nowhere, I loved it!!!
At least you enjoyed the solitude! We didn't see another soul in the three days we were out there. Did you get to have a conversation with the coyotes? They talked back to us when we howled at them, and I think that was my favorite part.

Good luck with figuring out your mechanical problems! It's a lot easier to get into the flow and relax into the rhythm of a trip if you're not constantly stressing about being stranded with a broken bike.

Here's some photos I got of you at Big Bend. Sorry I can't take photos while riding. I will come up with a solution to that soon!

(Thumbnails, click to enlarge if desired.)

Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #739
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 490
Soda Can Stove

FWIW, here's a link to the step-by-step instructions for making a soda can alcohol stove:
http://www.thesodacanstove.com/alcoh...-to-build.html
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #740
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
more good Can stove links i looked at when making mine

http://www.instructables.com/id/Can-Stove/

http://www.websailor.org/Alcohol_Stove/

http://www.mungosaysbah.com/2009/01/...can-stove.html
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #741
NomadGal OP
Esther

Hmmmmm,
Found oil in the engine breathing tube, found oil in the carburetor, and when I turn the crankshaft bolt (Did I get that name right, the one that levels the valves when turning) I hear this.

Am I hearing just the chain? I don't even hear the piston go up or down
Old 03-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #742
Cubdriver
Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer: 678
If you found oil in the air box then you would expect some in the carb. No other way for it to get there. Question is why it is in the air box. As was said by someone, the crankcase breather tube will blow oil if overfilled, which u say is not the case. It will also happen if there is excessive piston ring "blow by" which pressurizes the crankcase and it blows out the tube, carrying some oil with it. A compression check should help figure out if that is the problem. If so, then you are looking at least at rings, maybe a cylinder rebore and new piston, too. People who oversize to make the bigger displacenent say it is worth it. Keep us up on what you find. With your experience, slapping a new piston and rings in should be relatively familiar. Good luck.

BTW, I cannot interpret the sound bite. Hard to say.

For Mrs CD:F650GS, G650GS
Cubdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #743
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
sounds like a monster snoring
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #744
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,740
Cool2 Hmmmm......

Sounds like timing chain rubbing on the on guides... are you turning the crank/bolt forward in the direction of engine rotation?
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #745
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Sounds like timing chain rubbing on the on guides... are you turning the crank/bolt forward in the direction of engine rotation?
I am turning it to the right, the way you do to get the dead center T lined up
Old 03-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #746
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,035
It sounds like the starter sprague is spinning the E-start motor, try turning the engine in the forward direction and see if it quiets down...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #747
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,740
Quote:
It sounds like the starter sprague is spinning the E-start motor, try turning the engine in the forward direction and see if it quiets down...
Good ear..
Yes COUNTER clockwise like your trying to remove the bolt... that is the direction of rotation.
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #748
Ratman
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyala View Post

The Magic Sprite Can was a gift from Pete/RatMan. I'm interested to see if it's his own design or if he can provide instructions, I'd like to make a spare in case this one bites the dust! It's way more efficient than my penny stove...
Ester and Feyala, I'm an expert on alcohol stoves. I spent prolly a year being obsessed with getting one to work the best. I've built over a 100....
From Alcohol stoves

I wish that I'd known that you were interested in a stove, I'd have put one in the box with the Spot One.

But no need to make up some fancy dual walled stove like I gave Feyala. Just get a Vienna Sausage can and cut it down to 1.5" tall. A small cat food can works without cut it down at all. Those are as effective as all those stoves on that table. Use any Ethel, Methyl alcohol.

You might thumb thru this picture album....there are some interesting information about alc stoves there.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1051334...eat=directlink
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Ratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #749
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
A small cat food can works without cut it down at all. Those are as effective as all those stoves on that table. Use any Ethel, Methyl alcohol.
A small cat food can??
LOL, I just loved that tiny dual walled can you made Fey, it looks classic! I will try and find a small can somewhere and give the alcohol a try. Right now I use stern, and it takes up quite a bit of space and lasts me a week with 2 cans. I wonder how long the alcohol will last me. Gonna try it.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #750
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:

Quote:
Good ear..
Yes COUNTER clockwise like your trying to remove the bolt... that is the direction of rotation.
Do I ever feel like an idiot!!
Yep, very quiet now!!
I also did have some soot on my back fender, so yes, I did blow some black smoke at some point, maybe the one time that I over filled it.
I am just going to assume that all is well, and just replace the seal, spark plug, and the clutch plates (they were disintegrating and leaving black gritty stuff in my oil filter). I meant to do that last time because I noticed how much of that black stuff on the plates was coming off, but I was too late ordering it. I'm also doing the Hurricane mod, hopefully no more stuttering, and the 22 cent mod. However, I discovered that my pilot mixture screw did not have an o-ring (found the washer later), so maybe that might have had something to do with Spirit running too lean and having a white spark plug.
All in all lets hope it was just the seal. I'll find out one way or another.