Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 07:39 AM   #766
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
When you complete your GoalZero work in Sequim start making your way to the East side of the state and you will be just in time to attend the Hells Canyon Gathering in Enterprise, OR.
That would be fun....beautiful place, that is.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #767
Deanman
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
Thats a little moot now, 12-21-2012 came and went!
Yeah, I'd better find out what date that will be, I will be working from May 31st to June 9th, nearby actually, in Sequim on the Olympic peninsula, selling more GoalZero products
Hi NomadGal,
Been following along for a while now, you sure achieved your goal of setting out on an adventure!
I'm out here just west of Port Angeles, about 30 minutes from the Sequim Costco. If you need a place to rebuild your engine or anything, let me know. I'll also be happy to show you a few of the cool local roads/trails on your off time.
I just joined the ranks of the unemployed, or as I like to call it, retired. So, I have more time than money now, but so far so good.
Anyway, best wishes on your solar career and on your continued travels.

Dean
Deanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #768
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
When you complete your GoalZero work in Sequim start making your way to the East side of the state and you will be just in time to attend the Hells Canyon Gathering in Enterprise, OR.
Hey Ladybug!
Well, if for one reason or another I end up not being able to go to Alaska, then yes, I might go to Hells Canyon.
But truthfully my heart is set on going to Alaska. I think if I go after HC then it might be a tad to late for me to venture that way, maybe not, depending on what ind of weather we're having in June. I'm gonna wait and see
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #769
NomadGal OP
Esther

Today was an interesting day! Hmmmm, bit of an understatement
The much awaited for seal finally came in, the post office sent it here via an interesting route, unfortunately not the fastest even though I paid for express delivery.
So here I was thinking, "It will take me half an hour to pop it in and the collar, and then the new sprocket lockwasher and nut." I could never have been more wrong!
The seal went in smoothly, sure, and so did the collar.
But then I decided to go and see Spirit would start. Poured in the oil, seeing as the seal was in now, turned my newly modified petcock on, and tried to start her. Well, she did try to start but no matter what, she wouldn't turn over.
Then I remembered that the pilot mixture screw had an o-ring now, and maybe I didn't turn it out enough so she wasn't getting any air. Boy is that screw hard to get to! Finally got it turned out a whole rotation, and tried again. Still nothing.
Called Jim who said to check the spark plug to see if it sparked.
Hurray for the IMS tank that actually lets you stick your arm under the tank and yank the spark plug cover off.
I put another spark plug on it, and yep, that worked. So that was not the problem, what was?? Jim's next suggestion didn't make me happy, take the tank back off, open up the top cover again and see if the timing was off.
You can imagine how much I really wanted to do all that again!
Oh well, here I went again. put the crankshaft mark to T, and took the top off.
Then I looked at the valves, and the cam sprockets.
Yeah, that was one of those moments in your life were you start wondering if your brain really functions at all!!
I could not believe what I had done, no wonder Spirit wouldn't start!
For some odd reason the left sprocket arrow (exhaust) pointed to the front (correct) and the right sprocket arrow (intake) pointed to the back! Not correct!
So needless to say I took awhile taking off the cam chain tensioner again, and put the cam in correctly. .
After I put everything back together again I tried starting Spirit back up with the amount of fuel in the float bow.
She started right up, and purred like a kitten!!
Then after I turned her off, Logan came down, and I showed him how well she ran. He happened to notice that oil was pouring out of the newly installed seal. Yikes!! turns out the oil pressure spit the collar right out, no sprocket to hold it.
I am hoping that that is the reason it popped out, I don't remember if I ever ran the engine without the sprocket on her.
So now Spirit is all back together again and runs smoothly. Tomorrow I will take her for a test run in the area.

Took some nice night pics of the moon, and morning pics of the gorgeous purple lilies in the front yard

Old 04-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #770
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,631
Thumb Wooop Wooop she's alive....

Standing by...
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:13 AM   #771
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 329
Sometimes mc repairs will really test your Zen.

You've made many repairs I would hate to tackle.

Forge on...
'71 SL 350 - Honda
drdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #772
PaulGir
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
There should be no pressure trying to push the seal out .it sounds like there is a problem with the crankcase breather system.You need to check if the breather system is blocked.Pressure on the seal will be why it failed in the first place.
PaulGir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #773
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGir View Post
There should be no pressure trying to push the seal out .it sounds like there is a problem with the crankcase breather system.You need to check if the breather system is blocked.Pressure on the seal will be why it failed in the first place.
I'm not sure how the breather could be blocked in the first place. I took the breather hose off to see if there was oily residue, and I saw just a tad. I didn't blow through the hose to see if it was blocked, but that is easy to find out. Other than that you are suggesting something inside the engine case is blocking it??
Old 04-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #774
NomadGal OP
Esther

Took Spirit for a test ride today.
She ran great, and I am happy to have a 15 tooth sprocket back on her. She runs way better than with the 16 tooth one.
I'm not sure if I lost any oil, and if I did just teensy bit on a 150 mile run.
If anyone is ever in the Silver CityNM area, make sure to ride to Gila Dwellings via outs 15. It's an absolutely awesome swirly ride! Not many straight stretches on that road!
I also took a little loop to the south to visit Rock City state park, before heading north on 15.

Spring is slowly reaching here, the trees are lime green with new buds

There is some awesome camping there, this is a campsite, right under that tree

AAAHHHHHH finally, trees again! It smelled like pine, awesome, I felt in my element

closeup

still loving that ins tank, the hurricane mod seems to help

Gonna start packing up tomorrow, putting the cases back on and organizing my junk.
I wonder how long it will take me?????
Guess I'd better check the crankcase breather tube tomorrow, now I"m wondering if something might be blocked.
Hmmmm, somehow I think the oil pressure could have indeed blown the seal collar out, it is only held on by an o-ring. I'm guessing the sprocket is meant to keep it in place, but I'm not sure now, not knowledgable enough about this.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #775
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,884
Quote:
T
Guess I'd better check the crankcase breather tube tomorrow, now I"m wondering if something might be blocked.
Hmmmm, somehow I think the oil pressure could have indeed blown the seal collar out, it is only held on by an o-ring. I'm guessing the sprocket is meant to keep it in place, but I'm not sure now, not knowledgable enough about this.
I doubt it's a problem with the breather tube itself....lets just hope that you overfilled it with oil increasing the pressure and thus forcing oil into the airbox and blowing the c/s seal. The fact that you found some oil in the airbox leads me to believe that the breather is working but, you may as well check it anyway.

If it were purely a piston & rings blowby problem you should have noticed some oil loss on today's ride, I would think....my finger's are crossed!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #776
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 504
Beautiful pictures Esther! I'll be so glad when the snow disappears and spring finally sets in here. I've had snow since the third week of October and am tired of it. I misread the part about the leak and thought the SEAL got pushed out. I was glad when I reread it and realized it was the COLLAR!! Any idea of what route you will travel going through Canada to Alaska?
Ride safe!
Regards....just jeff
just jeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #777
Cubdriver
Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer: 663
Esther, think back about when you serviced the air cleaner last time. Possible that the oil you saw in the air box was because the air filter did not get squeezed out enough and the excess oil messed things up. Hmmm how did I know that? BTW, anyone who has played with the camshafts has messed up at least once putting them back in. The vice of wxperience again.

Glad to see you are still positive about getting up here this summer. the backyard tent site awaits you if you wish.

For Mrs CD:F650GS, G650GS
Cubdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #778
NomadGal OP
Esther

Well, Spirit's oil loss is a mystery!
Last night when I got home, I checked the oil level and it was just a tad below the top line.
this morning after I stated it for just a few seconds to check the breather valve, the oil level was just above the lowest line.
What the?????????
did all that oil get stuck somewhere???
I ran into town and she sounded rougher again.
So tonight I drained my now oil to get an accurate gauge of how much oil I had left.
It doesn't look like a lot, maybe quart and a half?? I will measure tomorrow.
Still, where did all that oil go, no leaks anywhere and not much of any soot on the rear fender, at least not a quart's worth!
I'm about to pull my hair out!!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #779
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 504
It can take a while for the oil to drain back into the crankcase from the head and such. Especially if the engine is still cold, such as when you ran the engine to check the breather valve. If the oil is really gone the best bet is the rings or valve guide clearance. More likely the rings. A compression test is a poor indicator of engine condition on a KLR. The KLR has an automatic decompression system to aid in starting the engine. This will give false low compression readings with a compression tester. An engine which is burning oil won't necessarily smoke lots or soot the exhaust if it is burning efficiently. Checout Schintz Racing or Eagle Mike for piston/ring kits and costs of reconditioning your cylinder.
Regards and goodluck.....justjeff
P.S. If you don't have a "Clymer Maintenance Manual" it would be a good thing to enhance youe mechanical skills!
jj

just jeff screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 08:49 PM
just jeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #780
Cubdriver
Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Well, Spirit's oil loss is a mystery!
Last night when I got home, I checked the oil level and it was just a tad below the top line.
this morning after I stated it for just a few seconds to check the breather valve, the oil level was just above the lowest line.
What the?????????
did all that oil get stuck somewhere???
I ran into town and she sounded rougher again.
So tonight I drained my now oil to get an accurate gauge of how much oil I had left.
It doesn't look like a lot, maybe quart and a half?? I will measure tomorrow.
Still, where did all that oil go, no leaks anywhere and not much of any soot on the rear fender, at least not a quart's worth!
I'm about to pull my hair out!!

It did go somewhere, into the rest of the engine, and will probably all drain down in a while and give you a good reading like you had before. Bike position has a lot to do with how the reading looks also. No way it disappeared somewhere for good, not that much that soon,and when you drain it out, unless you also drain the oil filter, you will not get it all out.

I hope you are experiencing what aviators call "automatic rough". It is what we hear and feel when we are out over water or just having a general bad time of it.

Hang in there. You will soon be one of the most experienced KLR experts, although the learning curve is whipping you about a bit.

For Mrs CD:F650GS, G650GS
Cubdriver is offline   Reply With Quote