Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #811
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,050
Wyman got my engine head yesterday, and he sent me a picture of my new cylinder and piston.

It looks awesome (with the exception of a little ding on the right side)

I also replaced my old shock with Logan's old stock one.
I figured he has had way less miles and weight on the shock then Spirit's shock. I hope it's an improvement.

Today I tackled opening up the rotor side again. The other day I could have sworn I head something fall down when I took the top engine mount off, but I couldn't fathom what could have dropped int there.
My gut told me to just go ahead and open her up again and take the rotor out, again!
I am glad I did, for I found something (not a washer)

How did that end up in there? I can't remember having tied anything up with it. Maybe the wires under the frame??

Now I'm just waiting for the head to come in. I can't believe I've been here almost a month!
Logan and Carla have been very gracious and wonderful, and I'm enjoying spending time with them!
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #812
AmRam
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Loving it

NomadGal,

I'm loving your ride report so much, it forced me to stop creeping and finally make an account to post. Love the way you look at life and the positive vibes. Hopefully some day I will muster up the courage to get up and go like you. Keep on keeping on!

AmRam
AmRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #813
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmRam View Post
NomadGal,

I'm loving your ride report so much, it forced me to stop creeping and finally make an account to post. Love the way you look at life and the positive vibes. Hopefully some day I will muster up the courage to get up and go like you. Keep on keeping on!

AmRam
Thanks AmRam, I hope you will, glad to be an inspiration
Old 04-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #814
NomadGal OP
Esther

Many thanks to Marcus K. for your generous donation!
I really appreciate it!
The cost of the changing Spirit to a 688 and getting my valves done was a bit staggering even though Wyman was really generous. So thank you again for making me be able to ride a bit longer.
Hopefully I'll make it to Sequim WA for my next GoalZero roadshow at the end of May.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #815
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,902
Good to see the parts are coming together for you,I have been enjoying your travels and hope soon to wander on my KLR,keep up the good posting!!!
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #816
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset_ryder View Post
I think Da Foole has a soft spot for nomads and KLRs.

Naaahhh....

Just need to line up some good coaches for when I become homeless in my old(er) age.......

Old 04-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #817
NomadGal OP
Esther

With some time on my hands before the improved head comes in, I thought I'd do something about that darn wobbly front fender of mine that manages to turn me into a nervous wreck during high speeds, passing trucks and fierce winds.

Logan had gotten a really nice one from jns.engeneering that he was putting on his KLR

That made remember that I had wanted to do something about the fender.
We stopped by the hardware store and I purchased a four foot, one inch wide and 1/8 inch thick aluminum strip, and 8 nuts, bolts, and washers, total $20!

Once we got back I cut two 20 inch pieces and notched a semicircle out of the sides (where the forks are) and rounded one of the corners

I marked the drill spots and drilled my heart out

Then I bent the braces in two places right after the connection to the bike, and screwed the braces to the 4 holes in the fender. I wanted to make sure that the other holes that went into the fender would line up, so I drilled through the existing holes in the brackets into the plastic of the fender.
After that I bolted the brackets to the fender and then bolted the fender back on the bike.
The only bummer was that I accidentally grabbed one bolt of the wrong size, so I'll have to go back and exchange it.
I temporarily put a philips head bolt into the hole just to finish the look for the photo

My paint job did not like the pressure, so it flakes around the washer and bolt, oh well!

This is how it looks underneath.

All in all I am very surprised to see how much more solid this feels. It's definitely not utterly rigid, but a vast improvement.
I compared it to Logan's brace and found that it feels pretty much the same.
I do like the fact that my brace is underneath, and that the nuts are in the higher area so I don't have to worry about an eventual bottoming out seeing as the lower part of the fender is way below the bolts.
Yay, can't wait to see if my front will feel less wobbly now. Some time in the future I might get a shock brace, but I've heard mixed reports about its usefulness. I've had one on my old Suzuki and I loved it on that bike however.

According to Wyman my engine parts should be in tomorrow, I hope he's right, Silver City is a bit in the middle of nowhere though, so it might take one more day.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #818
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,902
Hey thanks for the good idea,I'll make 1 also using your design,if ya don't mind,and see if it'll slow that fender sail wobble.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #819
NomadGal OP
Esther

Bad news!
Talking about gut feelings!
I just had to check one more time, and with a large zip tie tip I reached into the engine again, but this time I hit something that moved and jingled. Sounded very much like a washer!
So yeah! there is something floating around inside my engine.
Now I just have to figure out how to get it out without cracking the case open again.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #820
wymanwinn
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
Bad news!
Talking about gut feelings!
I just had to check one more time, and with a large zip tie tip I reached into the engine again, but this time I hit something that moved and jingled. Sounded very much like a washer!
So yeah! there is something floating around inside my engine.
Now I just have to figure out how to get it out without cracking the case open again.
could the "washer" have been one of the copper sealing washer from the oil supply tube....it is close to where the "top engine bracket bolt" is....

thinking out loud here....

wyman
wymanwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #821
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
Glue a magnet to that zip tie and see if you can get it out. If you can touch it with the magnet, but it doesn't stick, it might be that copper washer.
Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #822
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclist View Post
Glue a magnet to that zip tie and see if you can get it out. If you can touch it with the magnet, but it doesn't stick, it might be that copper washer.
Uhmmmmmm, sounds like a great idea, but can you imagine the trouble I would have been in if the glue came undone????
I would not suggest ever doing this!
Old 04-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #823
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
you can pic up a magnetic retractable pen for a few bucks just about anywhere at a autoparts store
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #824
NomadGal OP
Esther

After hearing the sound of what might be a washer I removed the doohickey and took the rest of the cover off.
Once that was done I removed the balancer chain sprocket so all of the gap was visible

I also noticed a small area that had been ground down near the edge.

The magnetic flexible rod now fit into the hole, and I was able to pull the washer out.

Turns out that this big washer belonged behind the balancer chain sprocket, I must have accidentally dropped it in there a few weeks ago when I realigned the balancer chain. Amazing that I rode the bike for all these miles (about 300) with that washer in there!!

I also noticed some of the cover near the threaded hole being ground off. That is about where the old doohickey spring connection tab is. Not sure why that would have been grinding seeing as it no longer serves a purpose and is in one fixed position.

Old and new

Amazing how much lower the bigger piston is.

I got as far as putting the new piston and head on today, including the camshafts and cam chain tensioner.
Tomorrow I'll put the valve cover back on and the rest of the bike.
I'm excited to see how she'll run.

The day finished on an odd event, namely that Logan's dog Jaya ate my chocolate chip cookie.
Turns out that raisins and chocolate are dangerous for dogs.
Luckily the cookie only had 3 or 4 raisins in it and about the same amount of chocolate chips.
Logan was able to make him vomit it back up. Still, having dogs around is like having 2-year olds around, can't just put something down and expect it to stay there. LOL
Old 04-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #825
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,085
The magnetic flexible rod now fit into the hole, and I was able to pull the washer out.

Turns out that this big washer belonged behind the balancer chain sprocket, I must have accidentally dropped it in there a few weeks ago when I realigned the balancer chain. Amazing that I rode the bike for all these miles (about 300) with that washer in there!!
fixed position.

GREAT catch!!!!!