Oddometer: 2,477
What? Did you look at her sig line?

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #872
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,049

The cactus in the front yard was starting to bloom, I regretted not seeing them open up ☹

I left Logan and Carlaís home shortly past noon on Sunday April 21st.
It was a bit of a late start as I ran into an unexpected complication. I wanted to clean my oil-filter before going, which turned out to be not too bad considering I had the engine open. Mainly lots of dust particles i.e. mushy blobs, and an occasional aluminum speck. I am amazed as to how little aluminum fragments I find in the filter now, awesome!
Anyway after that was done I decided to check my cam-chain tensioner again, and the cam-chain guide inside to see if it had gotten stuck again. All was well.
Then the last thing I decided to do was change the angle of the gear shifter, I had put it angled to high so shifting up was hard. I took it off and repositioned it, then tightened it again only to find that it was still really wobbly. Hmmmmmmm,
I took it off again and looked at the welding inside it, yup, cracked! Logan of course happened to have his old stock one lying around. I tell you, he is a veritable KLR parts store
To top it off his shifter was green, the color of my tank! LOL!
Logan asked if he could accompany me on the first leg of my journey, which I was thankful for. I had decided to take Hwy 150 (or 61 according to my XOG) through the Aldo Leopold wilderness. Logan had said it was a dirt road and that the beginning was tough in a few places. I donít know why, but somehow that road pulled me, and I felt I had to go through there.
I said goodbye to Carla, which turned out quite hard seeing as I had gotten used to being around her. Sheís great company!
I regret now having hugged Basia one last time, that crazy dog had grown on me! If I had had room I would have brought her with me

Spirit ran fantastic and I enjoyed her different sound.

Following Logan

The dirt road started rough, aka, washboard, the kind that make your teeth crack if you keep then together.
I felt like a noob again, not having ridden in a month made me very unsure on the dirt again. Also not being used to a different throttle clutch action because of the 688 made me wobble a bit more than I care to admit.
The road was gorgeous though, albeit a bit scary here and there.

I was starting to get hot and tired after an hour of dirt, and in one corner, 180 steep twist with lose sand and big rocks I felt myself losing control and tired to keep Spirit upright but couldnít. I didnít understand why I lost control of her at that time; I figured I was just going to slow.
Boy do I ever love my new IMS tank with hose. After quickly shutting off the petcock I grabbed the hose and held it up high to keep from spilling more gas (I need to buy a new valve).
Logan realized I hadnít made it and came to my aid. After a couple of tries we, (ahem, mostly him) got her back up and parked on the side. Other than having ripped one of the straps of my tank panniers off, everything seemed all right.
One of my luggage straps had come off, and my gear had shifted to the left. Looking at that I wondered if that is why I had lost control, the sudden shift of the dry-bag and pad to the left of my bike.
We rested a bit and continued on. It was hard to keep going because now I had very little self-confidence left and I was going slower than I usually would. Still the road was amazing, and from then on easier too. We got to the campsite in no time where Logan quickly checked Spiritís oil and gave her the once over. Everything was ok, even the fan came on (we thought for a second that it was broken). I said goodbye to Logan and thanked him for putting up with me for so long, he wished me a safe journey and left. I hope he made it home early enough and didnít go speeding on this wacky road.

I looked around me and breathed! It was a beautiful spot in the woods, with a little creek running though it.

Very peaceful.

I set up my tent and hammock and relaxed for a while.

I cooked my travelling style dinner (Tasty bite Indian meals)
Had a cup of tea, read for a while (having a Nook while on the road is the absolute best thing!!!) and crashed early, I was tired!
For me knowing that I am tired means feeling every inch of my body vibrate, not only with fatigue, but I guess having been rattled for a long period time.

The night was cold and I ended up having to use my emergency blanket. Itís amazing though, once the sun comes up and shines on the tent, it turns hot in no time!
It was still early and as I lied there I realized that I wasnít ready to hop on Spirit again to tackle the rest of the road, and decided stay here a day longer.
I made myself a cup a coffee and sat in the sun warming up while knitting Alexís (Parepinís) hat which I had promised him ages ago I would. My solar panel was sitting right next to me, charging up the battery pack

This little Alite chair that folds up really teensy is worth having on your list.

I spend the day literally doing nothing other than lounging in my chair and my hammock, either reading, knitting or (yes I know, how very old people like) embroidering. I saw these cute kitties on one of the Aida counted cross stitch packages at Wally mart, and my daughter loves cats, so I figured I could try this.
I also took some photos of the local fauna and scenery.

Moved my chair so I could sit next to the gurgling stream

around sunset the reflection of the trees in the water was gorgeous

The moon came up too

Right around sunset a van showed up with a couple in it.
I really wasnít in the mood for socializing so I kept to myself.
They were fairly quiet.

I watched Salt that night, with Angelina Jolie, and went to sleep around 9.
It was less cold that night, and I woke up nice and refreshed, ready to tackle the rest of the dirt road.
It was still early so while having my coffee I happened to notice these awesome little plants sprouting up from between the dead leaves

I was ready and packed up by 10 and took off, (with my heart hammering in my chest unfortunately)
Lt took me a while to get into the swing of things and I started to feel more confident until I hit a similar part in the road as the one I crashed in. My heart ended up in my boots! This time I told myself Iíll make it, I wont drop it, just throttle up a bit more.
Well that almost ended up disastrous seeing as I almost careened into the hill, hmmm, too fast.
I made it though and kept telling myself you can do this. Fear is the mind killer, I will face my fear and let it pass through me.
The rest of this Bene Geseret quote I had forgotten. Iíll have to look it up.

Once on top of the hill I could see where I had been, cool!

The road got much easier again

This time I had my xog on a better setting, and I could actually see the road I was on. I even managed to plan the road, even though that turned out almost not a good thing, seeing as the GPS decided that another road would get me there faster.
I soon realized after turning on it, that this was not the way I had planned on going. Huge rocks and lose sand where part of that road, no way Jose! I turned back unto 61 and kept going.

All of a sudden after all this desert terrain this gorgeous oasis appeared

The turn off to 59 came about an hour and a half after I had left camp, yay!! Made it.
Hwy 59 ended up very twisty but beautiful and fun.
The turn off to Hwy 52 was very well marked and I hopped on yet another washboard road.

Hmmm, heading into the middle of nowhere it seems

A little while laterÖÖ

Wow! I was almost to the VLA (Very large array)

My picture viewer was too dusty and I unfortunately did not aim quite right, bummer

I parked at the VLA and went inside the visitor center

After having purchased a T-shirt for Logan, my son and my ex-husband I realized that there was just no way I could pack them anywhere on the bike.
The lady at the gift-shop told me that there was a post office about 20 minutes from there. I could make it before it closed.
I would have liked to have walked around the arrays, but I figured Iíd rather get the shirts off in the mail.
As it was a couple of guys in front of the visitor center stopped to ask me where I was from and such. They were pretty impressed when I told them that I had been on the road for 11 months.
One of the guys was from California, and the other from Israel. He looked pretty surprised when I said Manishma? Ani medaberet ktzat Hivrit. It means Hi, how are you, I speak a little Hebrew. I told him that I had spent some months in Israel when I was younger working at a Kibbutz.
Unfortunately I really had to go to the PO so I told them bye

one last shot
I got to Datil in time to send off the shirts.
Right across from the post office was a gas station, so I filled up my gas tank. Iím not sure how much gas I spilled, maybe just a cup or a pint, but taking that into consideration, I got 185 miles out of 3.5 gallons, which is about 52 miles a gallon. Not as good as my mileage normally is, but not too bad either.
I rode west and when I realized that there were no campsites in the next National Forest I rode through, I decided to go south once I hit Quemado.
I am really glad about that decision

An amazing mountain view once I got on Hwy 32. I can imagine some Wild West movies being filmed over here

Shortly after heading south I saw a sign toward a lake recreational area and took it in the hopes that there would be some campsites.
The lake was gorgeous!!

The first three campsites I passed where still closed, yikes!
Then luckily after I passed a sign saying I was entering a national forest again, another campsite appeared with multiple entrances. The first entrance had RVs parked in it; yeah, I donít think so.
The second entrance was closed but the third was open, and nobody was there. Perfect!!
I set up camp under the trees and relaxed.

The day had been awesome. Lots of fun riding, having conquered some of my fear, again, and ending with a fabulous free camping spot all to myself. This is what riding is all about!

I walked around the campsite for a bit, and read these warning signs

I did have to hang my food bag in the trees, and tied a rope around my camping area just to maybe deter some bigger critters (who am I kidding?)

I slept great that night, but if I thought it was cold a few nights ago, I was in for a surprise!! Time to toss those hot hands packets into my sleeping bag. I think it got down to 22 degrees, brrrr. I am going to need a better seeping bag if I plan on going to Alaska!

This spot was so good that I decided again to stay an extra day.
Later while walking around I did notice these

Yeah, whatever killed this must have been big!!

I also noticed that my hand guard was not only bent out of shape (from the drop) but the bolt holding it on the handle bar attachment was almost all the way out!

Glad I saw this!!
I took my tools out, again, and fixed it in no time

I decided to take some photos while relaxing that day

Dandelions are amazing

Not sure what kind of grass this is, but itís looking pretty surreal!

Who says dried up plants canít look gorgeous?

This is a dry riverbed. I can imagine how green and lush this camping will be after some rain.

I spent the rest of the day relaxing and knitting, and of course typing up my ride report in Word, so all I have to do later is copy paste it and download the correct photos.

Just out of sheer nostalgia

That night was the coldest yet! My water actually froze in the bottle.

The deer where wild that night; I heard the sound of their hooves on the gravel road all during the night. Somehow this sound incorporated itself into my dream where a cow or bull almost tripped over my tent string. Some cowboys woke me up and told me I couldnít camp there because it wasnít a National Forest but their ranch. LOL it was a crazy dream.

The next morning Wednesday the 24th I woke up at 7AM and just stayed in bed trying to stay warm.

Once in a while during my trip I have this intense wonder as to why I am doing this. At those times I long for a nice comfy home and a soft bed. But then I think of the strings attached to having that kind of life, and I realize that I am not ready yet for a 40-hour workweek. I seriously doubt I ever will be.
Still, what am I supposed to do with this life? It is indeed the minds nature to worry about the future and not to just enjoy the now. Time and time again I have to remind myself to just be in the now. It is hard to let go of any sense of the future, hard not to plan but just to be. I realize some planning is on order, but also not to get hung up on it is something to remind myself of.
After breathing and just being for a while the feeling of why passes and I am content again.
I do feel as if, at some point in time, I am going to have to hit a spiritual rock bottom.
I really want to know why it is that we are on this Earth. I donít believe it is just so we can enjoy ourselves, there has to be more than that. I do believe that we are meant to find out the truth about our reality. But then again why live so we can find out the truth about why we live? Whatís the point in that?
Anyway, Iím rambling on about this philosophical conundrum.
Everyoneís perception of a perfect reality is different.
Some folks lose themselves in religion, it is easier sometimes to just follow and not make up your own mind about it.
Other folks lose themselves in the pursuit of riches, but we can all see the kind of damage it can do to those who are wealthy.
And then again others like to enjoy in the senses: sex, drugs, food, you name it.
There are thousands of ways mankind manages to get lost in this life. Myself included. It does bug me though. I wished I was a stronger person. LOL, I ought to rephrase that, I will be a stronger person, valiantly in pursuit of the truth. Howís that for a statement?

Anyway, back to the road.
I left late today, and rode toward and into Arizona.
It was an awesome, and very cold, ride.
I will post the rest of my RR tomorrow, itís past 10 and my body is shaking!
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:14 AM   #873
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
"I will be a stronger person, valiantly in pursuit of the truth. How’s that for a statement? " An admirable goal. Lead on!!
On another note....I haven't thought of "Dune" in years!
Best Regards....just jeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #874
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,777
Life is an endless quest not knowing what the quest is. Enjoy the now

http://youtu.be/QCr0AVe_dzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
Once in a while during my trip I have this intense wonder as to why I am doing this. At those times I long for a nice comfy home and a soft bed. But then I think of the strings attached to having that kind of life, and I realize that I am not ready yet for a 40-hour workweek. I seriously doubt I ever will be.
Still, what am I supposed to do with this life? It is indeed the minds nature to worry about the future and not to just enjoy the now. Time and time again I have to remind myself to just be in the now. It is hard to let go of any sense of the future, hard not to plan but just to be. I realize some planning is on order, but also not to get hung up on it is something to remind myself of.
After breathing and just being for a while the feeling of why passes and I am content again.
I do feel as if, at some point in time, I am going to have to hit a spiritual rock bottom.
I really want to know why it is that we are on this Earth. I don’t believe it is just so we can enjoy ourselves, there has to be more than that. I do believe that we are meant to find out the truth about our reality. But then again why live so we can find out the truth about why we live? What’s the point in that?
Anyway, I’m rambling on about this philosophical conundrum.
Everyone’s perception of a perfect reality is different.
Some folks lose themselves in religion, it is easier sometimes to just follow and not make up your own mind about it.
Other folks lose themselves in the pursuit of riches, but we can all see the kind of damage it can do to those who are wealthy.
And then again others like to enjoy in the senses: sex, drugs, food, you name it.
There are thousands of ways mankind manages to get lost in this life. Myself included. It does bug me though. I wished I was a stronger person. LOL, I ought to rephrase that, I will be a stronger person, valiantly in pursuit of the truth. How’s that for a statement?

Anyway, back to the road.
I left late today, and rode toward and into Arizona.
It was an awesome, and very cold, ride.
I will post the rest of my RR tomorrow, it’s past 10 and my body is shaking!
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #875
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 490
In the photo of your campsite it looks like you have a blue cord stretched around the perimeter. What's the purpose?
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #876
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
In the photo of your campsite it looks like you have a blue cord stretched around the perimeter. What's the purpose?
Haha, it was there to deter some bigger critters, i.e. bears. I figured they'd have to try and step over the rope, and in dong so would probably wake me an make me aware that something is prowling around my tent. It won't stop them, for sure, but knowing is good.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #877
Eyore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Haha, it was there to deter some bigger critters, i.e. bears. I figured they'd have to try and step over the rope, and in dong so would probably wake me an make me aware that something is prowling around my tent. It won't stop them, for sure, but knowing is good.
Maybe not knowing would be better Just caught up with your trip,great reading and pics,thanks.
Eyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #878
smash81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Do you have a fleece sleeping bag liner? They're freaking awesome on cold nights, and cheap to purchase...
Salvaged 2006 Ninja 650R - his
2000 ZR7 - hers
smash81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #879
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by smash81 View Post
Do you have a fleece sleeping bag liner? They're freaking awesome on cold nights, and cheap to purchase...
I actually put my down sleeping bag inside the fleece liner.
I've tried it the other way around and I keep on getting all tangled up in the fleece. I, wear fleece pjs.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #880
NomadGal OP
Esther

So here are the rest of the photos of the ride to and in Arizona .

The dirt road out of the campsite

I'm so digging the scenery!

This road made my heart soar

This photo in honor of my favorite Harry Potter character

Hoping that now I will be sleeping a bit warmer again

Just gorgeous

I decided to take a small road, Hwy 261 south from Eagar in the hopes of finding a cool forest campsite
Unfortunately a huge fire must have raged through there not loo long ago

On top of the world, about 10,000 feet still some snow

Saw this sign for a campsite and rode in. whoa! Still lots of snow, very mushy ground too

I would have loved to have camped there, but not only the cold deterred me, but also the fact that it was a horse campground, and that I felt like I was being watched. A very odd feeling that is. All in all I felt my inside scream get out of there, so I did.

I stopped by various other campgrounds but they were all still closed. Used to be that you could sneak through on a motorbike, but I think they wizened up
I kept riding and enjoying myself, but it started to get late. I rode through Pinetop and Show Low, a very neat little town, and kept on heading West.
I got to a point where my body said stop, or I'll fall of the bike, but there were nodirt roads to take off on, houses and ranches even on the remote road. I then spotted a campground sign and decided to just pay for a night. I was in need of a shower anyway.
Luckily someone has an open wifi, so I'm boldly making use of it

A KLRista invited me to drop by and say hi. He doesn't live too far from here, so I'm thinking of taking the long way round to his place today, and enjoy the ride
Old 04-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #881
timbercat
Texas ADV Rider

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
What? Did you look at her sig line?
Sorry. I'm using TapaTalk on a iPad and not getting her signature line. I'll check it on my office computer.
http://tinyurl.com/timbercat-spot
Texas to Georgia to Texas to Washington State to Texas. (15 States) - June 2013
timbercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #882
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Quote:
I would have loved to have camped there, but not only the cold deterred me, but also the fact that it was a horse campground, and that I felt like I was being watched. A very odd feeling that is. All in all I felt my inside scream get out of there, so I did.
I subscribe to the notion that it's a good idea to listen to these inner feelings. When things seem weird it's time to leave.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #883
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,743
Thumb Sister...

Hey Alex "Parepin" just got back out to Tempe... If ya get anywhere near there ya can call him (ya still got his #?) maybe ya wanna catch up with him for a ride?!?! And Rust (the inmate he's staying with and wife Cindy) will probably put you up for a couple free nights!

And as to the pondering... Yup your reality is truly whatever you choose it to be. You and I are consciousness/energy experiencing this physical level of reality, with it's duality... hot/cold, love/hate, sex/celibacy etc... so in essence your a creation and the creator at the same time. The prisoner, the jailor and the hero that sets you free all wrapped up in one.

Once your strongest desires are fullfilled (in this physical realm) you will then move onto another parallel coexisting reality, where your every dream becomes your way to manifest your desires.
Once all soul/body (and I mean other bodies than this physical one) attatchments are let go (no longer desired) we flow back into the whole of energy/consciousness/source-the word God gets used alot, that we are even as now connected to.

Your doin' greeeeaaat! Just do whatever makes you feel good and resonates with a high level of vibration/positive energy. And at the same time observe your low energy days and let them pass... always striving to let all experiences flow through you... as you have no doubt called them into your existence/experience anyhow. This life/reality is where we can experience an abundance of contrast. Just awesome!^)-

You've heard me say it all before.

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 06:27 AM
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #884
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Quote:
FWIW...bears and other critters are attracted by the smell of food. While it is somewhat inconvenient, it is always a good practice to set up your tent as far away from cooking/eating areas as possible...and don't have any food in the tent. It is even a good idea to keep toothpaste out of the tent. If the campsite has a bear box use it.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #885
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
FWIW...bears and other critters are attracted by the smell of food. While it is somewhat inconvenient, it is always a good practice to set up your tent as far away from cooking/eating areas as possible...and don't have any food in the tent. It is even a good idea to keep toothpaste out of the tent. If the campsite has a bear box use it.
Yep, I've known this for a while, I've been hanging my food including toothpaste, in a rubberized army bag on a protruding branch of a tree far from my tent ever since I got to bear country (which is basically since I started this trip). I think I posted a photo of this too once, while I was in Colorado. Finding trees with branches sticking away from their trunk, and more than 10 feet high is a challenge through. And I must say, I am getting better at throwing a rock with a string attached to it that high (which was not the case in the beginning )