Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #886
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
Once your strongest desires are fullfilled (in this physical realm) you will then move onto another parallel coexisting reality, where your every dream becomes your way to manifest your desires.
I am getting to a point that I find I no longer have much of any kind of dreaming or desires. It is in those moments that I question my being here.
I work hard at making up some sort of goals/dreams, i.e. going to Alaska, but deep down I am thinking, nope, this is not what I truly want either. Still, Happiness can be found chasing the dreams, but it is only temporary, and in the long run not what I am after either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
Once all soul/body (and I mean other bodies than this physical one) attatchments are let go (no longer desired) we flow back into the whole of energy/consciousness/source-the word God gets used alot, that we are even as now connected to.
Yeah, part of me does not believe that to be so easy
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #887
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
Life is an endless quest not knowing what the quest is. Enjoy the now

http://youtu.be/QCr0AVe_dzo

Cool video, smart little kid!
Old 04-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #888
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
"I will be a stronger person, valiantly in pursuit of the truth. How’s that for a statement? " An admirable goal. Lead on!!
On another note....I haven't thought of "Dune" in years!
Best Regards....just jeff
My friend Logan just gave me the whole quote:
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #889
NomadGal OP
Esther

Well.......
Yesterday showed me that you can plan all you want, but that life sometimes has different ideas.

I felt a little discombobulated yesterday, and packing up went a lot slower than usual, plus I was taking pics of bugs.

I also found out that my petcock leaked, so I thought it might be the fuel line attachment that popped out the other day.
I popped it back out again and put some gasket sealant around it and slid it back in.
Finally at noon I got back on the road after almost wiping out at the campsite due to very deep gravel, definitely not biker friendly paths.
I decided to head back to Show Low to gas up and to buy a can opener (somehow I managed to lose mine along the way), and then take highway 60 South and 288 North toward Payson.
As I got to the Safeway gas station I noticed all the steep inclines at all the pumps. I couldn't park one way because then I couldn't get the kickstand out, and the other way would make Spirit slant way to much and probably thump over.
One pump wasn't as bad, so I picked it. Parked Spirit, and she leaned over plenty, so I figured all was well.
I took off the gas cap, turned around to put my debit card in the machine when a huge gust of wind slammed into me, and of course Spirit too, and toppled her over. She fell hard! I rushed to put the gas cap back on as the gas was just pouring out of the tank.
A guy in a nearby van ran up and helped me put her back up.
The handguard was bent in so much that the front break was on, so I couldn't even reposition her.
I shoved the luggage toward the leaning side and filled up the tank holding my foot on the kickstand plate.
Once the tank was full she leaned a bit better.
I ended up having to take the tools out and take the hand guard off right there at the pump so I would be able to mover her.
It took me just a few minutes to take it off, bend the guard the normal way again, and put it back on.
I climbed on the bike and started her, just to find out I couldn't throttle!
The gas had loosened up the grip glue and the grip was just spinning, and not letting me turn the throttle.
I pushed the grip to the side a bit and with my finger and thumb managed to give it a bit of throttle to ride away from the pump and into a parking spot.
Ahhhhh, oh well, I can fix this!
Took the hand guard back off and also the grip.
I had some gasket glue, some grey goopy stuff, that I decided to use to hold the grip, put it on the throttle and slid the grip back on it while trying not to get any on my throttle lock.
Then I used 4 zip ties to snug the grip down and went to get a drink.

I hung out in the Safeway parking lot for a few hours waiting for the gasket glue to dry By the time I could move the throttle it was 4 pm and it was no longer feasible to ride the long way around to Payson where RimRider lived, so I decided to just ride on 260 and to go straight there. Something was still wrong with the throttle, it wouldn't go back once I let go of it. Guess I'll fix that later!
I almost just pitched my tent somewhere but I was cold and the thought of a warm bed spurred me on.

The ride was beautiful but cold, and I realized that I like this part of the USA. I could easily imagine myself living here. Snow in the winter, sun in the summer, close enough to my daughter and lots of riding and camping to do here.

I got to Payson around 6:30 and went into Safeway for some humus and chips, and some olives from the olive bar, and waited to hear back from RimRider or his wife with the directions to their house.

Of course I took the wrong road at first, but was happy that I did, because after I turned around I saw the moon come up over the mountains, it was huge, orange and awesome.

As I hit the dirt road that RimRider lived on I realized that there was something wrong with my lights! Every time I turned the handle bars sharply the light went out. Yikes, I must have a kink or cut wire near the tripple tree.
When I got to RimRider's (Scott's) house I also noticed that the petcock was still leaking gas too.
Boy o boy, when am I ever going to be done fixing things????

I relaxed with his wife and daughter and waited for him to come home. Once he did we talked just a bit, but I was pretty exhausted and so was he

I slept wonderfully amazing what a comfy bed can do

Today I've got to fix the throttle, the fuel leak, the headlight wiring and change the oil.
Never a dull day!!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #890
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,703
Sorry about your misshappes at the station,but you got things back in order,your a true rider
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
I still see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #891
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,410
A) the only fuel-resistant (notice I didn't say proof) gasket sealer I'm aware of is a product called Hylomar. Manufactured by a few people under license from Rolls-Royce. It's blue and sticky, and doesn't really harden, ever. All the others will soften and leak, period.

B) Grips are best installed with either grip glue (again, more than one manufacturer) or my fave, SuperGlue.

C) I guess it looks like you've figured out why I love the desert so much. I could live anywhere in the Southwest, if it wasn't for my kids. Why oh why couldn't the ex-wench have moved there instead of here, I'll never know.

Oh yeah-the best way to fix a damaged wire is of course replace it, but without a soldering iron and so forth, that could be troublesome. If the wire isn't broken, but has had the insulation abraded away (causing a short), an easy alternative is Liquid electrical tape, readily available at auto parts/hardware stores.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #892
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Bearmuda Triangle

Bear procedures the we teach works very good.

http://www.sccovington.com/philmont/...procedures.htm

"Strive to be more than 50 feet from any point on the Bearmuda Triangle (sump, cooking area, bear bag). · DO NOT STORE DAY-CLOTHES IN THE TENT. Sleep in a set of clothes that are only used for sleeping. Store these clothes in sleeping bags."
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #893
John Fabian
Fabe

Oddometer: 88
Camping

NomadGal,
How long on average does it take you to set up and break down your camp?
Your packed bike looks very well organized.

John Fabian screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 02:13 PM
John Fabian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #894
PaulGir
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
Life is an endless quest not knowing what the quest is. Enjoy the now

http://youtu.be/QCr0AVe_dzo

Poor kid - he's obviously never been exposed to computer gaming or reality TV
PaulGir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #895
NoMoIke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fabian View Post
NomadGal,

Looooong time
Old 04-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #896
bbjumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
I know how you feel regarding AZ. I have lived here 18 years and love riding in this state. Just today I did Sedona, Cottonwood, lunch at Jerome and home to Scottsdale via Prescott.

Beautiful time of year, don't know if you have ever seen the Grand Canyon but as long as your here, it is worth the visit no matter how often I see it.

Cheers

1982 Suzuki GS850G The "Zook"
2000 BMW R1100RT
bbjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #897
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fabian View Post
NomadGal,

It all depends on how much I actually take out of my cases.
On average about one hour to set up camp, and 2 hours to pack everything back up. I have done it in an hour and a half before, but I don't like to rush
But then again, if I am somewhere warm, I just hang up the hammock and keep most of my junk in the cases except for the food and pots, and I am packed up in no time.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #898
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoIke View Post
Looooong time
HEY!!!!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #899
NoMoIke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
HEY!!!!

I'm grateful you pack slow...I always had p plenty of time to slam my 4 cups of coffee!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #900
NomadGal OP
Esther

I am a lucky Gal!
Turns out that the electric trouble was due to a loose wire connecter underneath the control panel.
There are 6 of them fixed on a small metal mount. Funny that 5 of those connecters where not properly snapped together. One of them (the one going to the headlight brake light and the turn signals was almost completely undone.
I ended up putting some electric grease on all of them and properly snapped them in place. Yay, problem one solved.
Problem two, leaky petcock, turns out the gasoline came out of the now useless vacuum valve (I did the hurricane mod and now have a manual petcock). I had capped it with a little rubber cap, but gasoline still came out. So now I plugged the hole with a toothpick and JBWeld.
Problem three, the throttle, well, it still doesn't go back by itself if I give it full throttle, but at least the grip has been solidly glued on with grip glue.
I never did get to change the oil today, so I'll do that tomorrow before Scott and I are going on a ride.
I also got some color today, or should I say a sunburn??
Someone is ging to sleep really well tonight!