Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #901
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
I am a lucky Gal!
Turns out that the electric trouble was due to a loose wire connecter underneath the control panel.
There are 6 of them fixed on a small metal mount. Funny that 5 of those connecters where not properly snapped together. One of them (the one going to the headlight brake light and the turn signals was almost completely undone.
I ended up putting some electric grease on all of them and properly snapped them in place. Yay, problem one solved.
Problem two, leaky petcock, turns out the gasoline came out of the now useless vacuum valve (I did the hurricane mod and now have a manual petcock). I had capped it with a little rubber cap, but gasoline still came out. So now I plugged the hole with a toothpick and JBWeld.
Problem three, the throttle, well, it still doesn't go back by itself if I give it full throttle, but at least the grip has been solidly glued on with grip glue.
I never did get to change the oil today, so I'll do that tomorrow before Scott and I are going on a ride.
I also got some color today, or should I say a sunburn??
Someone is ging to sleep really well tonight!
Hi NomadGal!
Check to see if the end of the grip is binding on the hand guard causing the throttle to be sticky.
Regards....justjeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #902
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
Hi NomadGal!
Check to see if the end of the grip is binding on the hand guard causing the throttle to be sticky.
Regards....justjeff
I put grease between the two, so it shouldn't, but it's not bad so I don't mind
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #903
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
I put grease between the two, so it shouldn't, but it's not bad so I don't mind
If it is touching there, just loosen the screws on the throttle housing and move it to the left a bit. That should cure it. The throttle housing may have gotten bumped when Spirit took her nap!
Regards....justjeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #904
NomadGal OP
Esther

took some photos this morning around Scott's home, and changed my oil

Sure was happy the bee decided not to sting me, must have been a vain bee

Then I took a really long dirt road ride with Scott (Rimrider). Some of the road was pretty gnarly, and on section was just rows of ruts, Yikes!! I did it though, plowed right through there.

Scott's KLR. I love that teal color!

After followingh Scott all day, I was so dusty that I could have lied down on the road and nobody would have seen me

I was pretty tired when I got back, but glad that I did well.
Tomorrow I am heading to Tempe to meet up with Parepin and give him his hat, and maybe meet up with bbjumper whose birthday it will be.

A little note to say, Thank You Sean C for your donation! Not sure who you are on the forum
Old 04-29-2013, 07:37 AM   #905
NomadGal OP
Esther

In Tempe AZ now, and met up with Parepin (Alex)
It was boiling hot when I got here about 100 degrees so I decided to hang and leave for Sedona in the morning.
Alex is ging to with me for a ride.
Will post pics the next time I've got internet
Old 04-29-2013, 08:02 AM   #906
RonSJC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Hey quick question. Way back at the beginning of your posts you said a friend made you a mount of aluminum and velcro for the bars so you can take photos on the road. Was that a monitor mounted to the bars, does it connect to your camera?
Really enjoyed your posts.

Thanks!

Ron
RonSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #907
Feyala
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Sedona is gorgeous! I'm sure you'll love it! If you're into that sort of thing, you can find freebie maps of all of the 'vortexes', and it can be fun clambering over red stone to try to find them. Lots of kitschy new age shops in town too. Everything's a bit pricey though.
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #908
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSJC View Post
Hey quick question. Way back at the beginning of your posts you said a friend made you a mount of aluminum and velcro for the bars so you can take photos on the road. Was that a monitor mounted to the bars, does it connect to your camera?
Really enjoyed your posts.

Thanks!

Ron
Hey Ron,
The mount is just an aluminum rectangle that I attached to the handle bars with pipe brackets from the hardware store.
Then I just stuck some of the industrial adhesive Velcro on it. Muy camera also has Velcro on it, and a strap that is secured to my windshield. I can't charge my camera via usb or so, I have a charger that the battery slides into. I don't mind because my GPS needs to constantly be plugged in, as the battery doesn't last more than half an hour.
Earlier in my ride report I have a picture of it.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #909
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyala View Post
Sedona is gorgeous! I'm sure you'll love it! If you're into that sort of thing, you can find freebie maps of all of the 'vortexes', and it can be fun clambering over red stone to try to find them. Lots of kitschy new age shops in town too. Everything's a bit pricey though.
Hey Fey, I am not much of a town person, and even though Sedona looked nice as far as towns go, I couldn't wait to get out of there. Alex rode with me, and we decided to take Schnebly Hill road. Boy a boy, gorgeous!!! I think I've taken offroading to a whole new level!!
Old 04-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #910
NomadGal OP
Esther

I am currently in Flagstaff AZ enjoying a cup of coffee at Starbucks.
The last couple of days have been a blast!
Let me backtrack a second..........
My stay at Rimrider's was absolutely wonderful. SCott and his wife Shannon and daughter Hannah, were an absolute delight.
Shannon is amazingly creative, and she has had some of her ideas and creations published in magazines.
Their whole house is an art project
I left Sunday morning and headed to Scottsdale to meet up with bbjumper at a Starbucks.

The closer I got to Phoenix the drier it got

Yep, desert indeed

Bbjumper and I talked for a couple of hours about bikes, the road, kids work etc. It was a pleasure meeting him. He couldn't stay long, because it was his birthday, and neither could I because I still hadn't finished Parepin's hat.
I rode to Tempe afterward and hung at Parepin's (Alex) friend's home, Cindy and Dan.
They made me feel soooo welcome and kept on asking if I wanted anything. Instead of staying just a couple of hours and heading to Sedona I stayed the night. I'm glad I did cause I got to finish Alex's hat (forgot to take photo, oh well).
The next day Alex and I left for Sedona

Two more bikers were following us, I did not like to lead!!

We rode toward Wickensburg, and then toward Prescot and Jerome

Awesome road, very twisty. I actually hit my cases going around the curve too fast, yikes, can't do that!

Alex checking out an old mining cart in Jerome, an old mining town

I made him climb in!

Jerome

Alex in action, he told me I reminded him of Jim, always taking pictures while riding

nearing Sedona

Toward Schnebly Hill road. Would I have gone if I had known what awaited me??

I had just dropped Spirit. There while so many boulders and rocks that I couldn't make up my mind which way to go, as a result I was going to o slow and dropped her when I hit a boulder.

I ended up dropping, well more like leaning her agains the cliff wall, when I hit a large rock with my front tire, I had picked the wrong route. I sure was glad Alex was there!

I climbed a hill to see what the view would be like from up there. An absolutely incredible place!!

Alex followed me. I wasn't sure if he could seeing his surgery hadn't been that long ago, but it looked like he did just fine.

Mr. Daredevil!

I said goodbye to Alex at Mormon Lake, sniff sniff, it's so much fun to ride with someone you get along with, and headed back into the woods to camp for the night.

I slept wonderful!! LOL, I was so tired I could have slept anywhere.

Woke up at 6:30 this morning and after some coffee and oatmeal left the site at 9:30 heading toward Flagstaff where I am now.
I'll post picks of that part of the ride next time
Old 04-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #911
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
If you get a chance, it's a short run up to the Sunset volcano north of Flagstaff and a little further up are some old Indian pueblo ruins and some painted desert. Stuff I enjoyed seeing, you might, too.
Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #912
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,630
Thumb

GREAT post.... Glad to see two of my favorite Nomads on the road again!!!
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #913
NomadGal OP
Esther

I am sooo utterly and totally beat!
So much so that when I got to Kanab I actually spend most of my money getting a cabin.
Anyways, more of my day later, here are a couple of pics I took before getting to Flagstaff

inlet toward Mormon Lake

Heading toward Flagstaff

I left Flagstaff after having finished my previous ride report, and headed North on 89.
The WIND!!!!! OMG, it wouldn't let up, I kept on trudging along hoping that at one point or another it would stop blowing so hard.

There were a lot of photos I wanted to take, but after almost being blown over when I stopped to take this one, I decided not to stop anymore until it quieted down.

I kept riding until I saw a road sign saying that Hwy 89 was closed and to take a detour via Tuba City on Hwy 160 and then Hwy 98 towards Page. Once there I could go south and take Hwy 89A. This detour took forever, and the fierce wind made it almost unbearable, not to mention utterly exhausting.
I did manage to take my hand off the handlebar occasionally, for just long enough to take a pic

When I got to Page I discovered to my dismay that I had ridden the whole detour for nothing
What the roadsign had meant on Hwy89 was that the road to 89A was open, but 89 North was closed.
I had misunderstood the sign, seeing as it only said Hwy89A open, 89 north closed, take detour.
Well, my reasoning was that, okay 89A is open, good to know, but to get there you have to go North, so I took the detour.
No need to mention how I felt!!
I looked at my celphone message and saw that Dirtreaper had replied, and that the office for the permit to The Wave was in Kanab. I gassed up at a place where I could safely park the bike to gas up (The wind was just crazy, Spirit was shaking back and forth).
I rode to Kanab Utah occasionally daring to take a photo. The wind never letting up, I was fried!!

A dam

Utah again, the last time I was here was coming from the lucid dreaming convention in SF and heading toward Lake George Colorado for the WestFest.

I got to Kanab after 7 (still 6 AZ time) and called Dirtreaper. Turns out that the office to get the permit was right in Kanab just a few blocks from where I stood. I also found out that even if I get a permit for The Wave, I still have to wait a day because the permit is for the day after! Yikes, I did not know that!
I was so tired I did not know what to do. A BLM campsite (free) was another 30 to 40 minutes back East, and a campground was right across the street. I went to check the prices and it turned out that a cabin was only $11 bucks more than a campsite. I decided screw it!! I can't afford it, but I'm going to take it.

My little cabin.

Wifi came with the cabin and I am so glad to have a little house to myself with a bed and hot shower.
Tomorrow is another day! Who know what will happen then.
I have to be at the office at 9AM and if I don't get a permit then Tom (Dirtreaper) and I might take a ride after he's done with work. If I do get a permit I am thinking of taking the hike to the wave really early in the morning on Thursday, so I can head toward California in the afternoon. I promised my daughter I'd be there Friday evening.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #914
NomadGal OP
Esther

Wow!!! Got up early and packed and got to the office to enter the lottery for The Wave.
Holy smokes! There were 101 people there and only 10 would get a permit.

Park ranger turning the lottery cage.

The first number was a group of 2, the second number a group of 3 the third a group of 2 and the fourth number picked a group of three. It was over in a heartbeat and a lot of disappointed faces.
It was enjoyable to see the happy groups though
Needless to say I didn't get one, so I'm going to ride around for a bit and meet up with Dirtreeper around noon.
After that I might go and sneak around the closed sign to the North rim of the grand canyon. At least I'll get to see something else that is beautiful.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #915
bbjumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Needless to say I didn't get one, so I'm going to ride around for a bit and meet up with Dirtreeper around noon.
After that I might go and sneak around the closed sign to the North rim of the grand canyon. At least I'll get to see something else that is beautiful.
Hey Esther, for my money or time I'll pick a view of the canyon any day, it always gets me thinking about the wonders of nature...

Cheers

1982 Suzuki GS850G The "Zook"
2000 BMW R1100RT
bbjumper is offline   Reply With Quote