I missed it. What is "The Wave"?
The photo below led me to this link: The Wave

John Fabian screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 04:24 PM
John Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #917
livewire
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
One of the most bizzare places on earth.

livewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #918
Feyala
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
I've always wanted to see the Wave and Antelope Slot Canyon. One of these years...

Sad that you weren't able to go, but with competition like that, it's no wonder. That's nuts!
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #919
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
Hi Nomad Gal!
Why Only 10 people? That is a cool area!
Regards....justjeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #920
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,848
I'm following,thanks for the wave!
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #921
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
Hi Nomad Gal!
Why Only 10 people? That is a cool area!
Regards....justjeff
I guess they want to preserve the place, plus it's a 2 hour hike each way, so this way they make sure that those who apply can manage the hike.
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #922
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyala View Post
I've always wanted to see the Wave and Antelope Slot Canyon. One of these years...

Sad that you weren't able to go, but with competition like that, it's no wonder. That's nuts!
Now I know that you can apply 4 0r 5 months ahead of time, and even then there's a lottery. but you can keep applying. Still, it's hard to gauge the time to get there.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #923
NomadGal OP
Esther

It's hard to believe that my last ride report has been only 3 days ago, it feels like ages..........

While waiting for DirtReaper to get to Kanab I took a short ride to the Salmon colored Dunes. I did not go into the park, not only did you have to pay for it, but I realized that I would not make it back in time if I did.

I got back to Kanab a few minutes late, but Tom was still at the McD.
He gave me a cool topographic map of the area, and told me about dirt road to Toroweap, which ended up at a different view of the Grand Canyon.
He said the road was easy with just a bit of silt here and there.
Wellllllll.....................
Tom, that road was not easy!! It was gorgeous there, that's for sure, but I would not ride that road again with a full load!!
The first part of the road was great and I was looking forward to camping at the end of the road.

The the road was getting a little less easy.... I have no idea how, but I was able to keep Spirit upright after almost wiping out on this stretch, I was going too fast I guess.

Okay, I can handle this, good thing I rode the Schnebly Hill road with Alex

Breath taking!

The last 3 miles were more than I had bargained for. I am amazed that I made it to the camp ground, but unfortunately I wiped out right as I got there.
Luckily there was a couple there who helped me get her back up, and I picked a spot for the night, I was exhausted.

It was an amazing spot!

The cacti where almost all blooming

I took a mile walk to the end of the road to see the Grand Canyon

It was very windy that day, and I have to admit that I was not inclined to get to close to the edge

The wind was getting stronger as I waked back to the campground.
I was exhausted, physically and mentally. Somehow difficult roads wear me out mentally as well. I guess because I am always having an internal battle, I can, no I can not..........
I warmed up dinner for the night with my vestibule closed, too windy.

It's nice to have this kind of view out of my tent "window"

I woke up early 5:45, but still missed the morning colors.

The night had been so windy that I was coated in a tin layer of dust. My stuff under the vestibule was covered as well

Packing was done fast and even though I had butterflies in my stomach about having to do the road again, I felt that I could. After I was done I walked to the rough spot and looked for the easiest was to go up

Going down on this seemed easy in comparison to going up. There was a lot of loose sand ....

I walked back, got my gear on, and hopped on Spirit. I rode to where I had to turn left to go up the hill and stopped. I should not have done that! Somehow I had stopped on sand that had a slanting rock underneath, and I felt the bike slipping sideways, and there was nothing I could do to stop it from happening

Darn! I had not even gotten to the rough spot and I was down already.

I was very disgusted with myself and started unpacking Spirit. But try as I might, I could not get her up, even after having rotated her to a better slant.

I even tried to wedge stuff under her to have a better angle for lifting. Who would have known that a stainless stell thermos would come in this handy.

At one point I tried so hard that I felt my back muscle go pling!!! Ouch!! That felt bad....

I had just decided to go and walk to the ranger's house, 3 miles down the road, and ask for help when I guy in an SUV showed up. HIs name was Vincent and he was indeed my rescuer that day

We lifted Spirit up, and I decided to just ride her up and load all the junk on again once I was up the hill.
I did not get very far as my back wheel kept slipping on the sand and rock underneath. I was not able to get enough momentum to get up the hill, and I dropped her again, this time on the right side

Ahhhh, not again!

I went and got Vincent again and together we pushed her up the hill, after which he helped me carry my junk up there.

I asked Vincent if he minded that I took a photo of him, and put it online. He didn't. I loved his little feather tattoo in his neck :)

I got everything packed up again and headed back to the Hwy, telling myself not to drop Spirit again, come what may!!

Went over that smoothly

I stopped Spirit on top of the hill, and walked down to see how to go. At least I stopped in a good spot.
I could not see a non slippery route down and I decided to just go for it.
I was gunning it down and kept yelling at myself, go go go , don't stop keep going!!!

I made it!! Yay!

I forgot about the sand

I decided to take the other road back to save some time, bad decision!!

I saw the end of the road, near the Mountains

The road looked normal, but all of a sudden Spirit was wobbling like crazy! This road is deceiving! On the surface it looks like solid dirt, but in reality is was 5 inch deep silt! I ended up wasting at least an hour walking/riding Spirit through miles of silt. I was so wishing I had taken the easier but slightly longer road back :(

It took forever but I made it to the road without dropping Spirit again

I almost got off and kissed the asphalt, the way Ewan McGregor did, but I was too tired and sore to do so.

It felt so great to relax and just ride again, it's amazing how much I tense up when riding on dirt. I bet that's why it's so exhausting for me.

heading south toward Nevada hoping to find an easy to get to spot to camp

I took I15 toward Las Vegas for a short stretch and turned South on Hwy169 toward Las Vegas bay.

The colors were so beautiful!

I passed by a camping and decided to stop there, I was worn out!
It was $10 bucks for the night, but I only had $5 cash, so I hope they will be contend with that.
I pitched my tent, which ended up to be a rather painful experience, my back was killing me!
Afterward I couldn't help but take a bunch of photos of the Oleanders

I had rough night, and couldn't get comfortable no matter what
The morning came and I decided to just get an early start so I would get to Mission Viejo early.
How come I am so bad at guessing how long something takes????

If you look closely the pigeon has a green anklet

This is by far the nicest path to a bathroom I've ever seen!

I got packed up and out of there before 9, heading toward the California border

It was getting warmer and definitely more desert-like

I hit Route 66 toward 29 Palms

I saw a train go under the bridge, and could not believe how long it was.

Hundreds of carts behind the main engines, amazing, it was more than a mile long I think

I took a little brake at a store on the side of the road and could not believe the size of this cactus, It was taller than I was!

Christiana and Ulrich
I decided to fill up my gas tank in 29 Palms and met this couple from Germany who were impressed by me and my adventure. They both gave me $10 gas money, that was so sweet! They were with a group of 20 bikers who had rented Harley for 10 days and were on a tour across the US

I headed to Joshua Tree afterward in the hopes of taking some amazing footage.
Hmmmm, beautiful in it's own way, yes, gorgeous???? Nah, not really! Still I enjoyed the ride in Joshua Tree until I hit road work..... Oh boy!! After waiting for about 15 minutes in the scorching sun, no shade, the "follow mw" truck showed up and we followed him over some very lose gravel dirt road. After a while he pulled over and left us go on our own, not sure why.
The minute he did though, I hopped onto the already finished paved side. I had it with gravel!

I hit Indio during a busy and hot time and it took forever to get through there.
I was stoked to see Hwy 74 until I was 3 miles down the road! This is such a twisty road that it took most of my concentration to keep her on the road during all the hundreds of turns. Some of them hairpin, i.e. 15 mph.
It took me a long time to get to Hemet, Perris, Lake Elsinor, and then San Juan Capistrano, but the road there was gorgeous. I got to my daughter's house at 9 PM, dead on my feet and my butt burning. At least my bak felt a little better compared to my butt

NomadGal screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 10:07 AM
Old 05-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #924
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,470
My old stomping grounds!

I grew up in San Juan Capistrano, learned how to ride quickly on a sport bike on Ortega Hwy (74), specifically the 38 miles between Lake Smell-some-more (Elsinore) and SJC, and rode probably every trail in the Cleveland Nat'l Forest on my MTB.

Alex sure liked it there too....

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #925
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,848
Hawaii plate?I just noticed,a story??
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #926
mhild
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
That's where she was living before moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Hawaii plate?I just noticed,a story??
mhild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #927
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 363
Admiration

I have to say that I admire your perseverance and ability overcome challenges.
Good ride, good read.
'71 SL 350 - Honda
drdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #928
NomadGal OP
Esther

WOW!, I just realized that I have had a few donations into my Paypal Account!
Thank you so much DaFoole (again!), Jon J (ADV?) and Artis M (ADV?)
I was very surprised but thankful, gonna need a new rear tire again shortly.
Hopefullymy old one will last until Washington State, so I'll be good to go into Canada and Alaska
Old 05-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #929
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
WOW!, I just realized that I have had a few donations into my Paypal Account!
Thank you so much DaFoole (again!), Jon J (ADV?) and Artis M (ADV?)
I was very surprised but thankful, gonna need a new rear tire again shortly.
Hopefullymy old one will last until Washington State, so I'll be good to go into Canada and Alaska
Yep, try to buy and have fresh tires before you cross the border as with most stuff the costs will be much higher in Canada... You'll pay considerably more for fuel up this way as well... We have crude oil here that goes south as to where you folks pay less for it than we do...The same goes for cars, skidoos and boats as well as the Can Am spiders, we make them here pay to transport them south and then drop the selling price 15-20% over what Canadians would have to pay in country... I can go south of the border and buy a Canadian made car and save money...

So keep in mind to budget for the extra expense and do lots of camping and send me a pm if you make it over to Vancouver Island...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #930
mjmc335
Mike

Oddometer: 36
Gotta give you credit NomadGal

You really got a lot of grit. Your determination is inspiring.

Between (among?) the three of you, Parepin, Feyala, and you, you guys have the best ride reports going. Thanks for keeping the updates coming.

If I can help you in any way on your next leg of the journey north, please let me know. I live in the Bay Area (east bay suburbs) and have a place you can work on your bike if needed. I have a couple of (pre '08) KLRs I still ride and also have some misc. parts that may be of use to you. There are lots of good rides around here with some terrific views of the bay on a clear day.

Mike
mjmc335 is offline   Reply With Quote