Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #946
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodr View Post
NG you might check in at the Bay Area Riders Forum when you get near SF, to see what rides/events are going on that you may be interested in. Lots of interesting folks there. I'm "rodr" on that forum also. Would be great to have an opportunity to meet you!
Thanks I will!
NomadGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #947
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
If you make it through the Lost Coast, I've got a friend or two that'll put you up for a night (in Petrolia or Loleta), plus there's some great camping on the beach there.
Hey Feike, is TwilightZone one of them??
Old 05-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #948
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,372
Nope. While Dick (Petrolia) is aware of AdvRider, I doubt he's ever visited the site- he's a bit e-challenged. John (in Loleta) was signed on here at one time, but I forgot his username.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #949
NomadGal OP
Esther

Spirit has new oil, a new camchain tensioner, and Parepin's choke cable from Patty. Yay, can't remember the last time my choke was that smooth!
Wyman did all the work, which was new to me, , my hands were itching!! We hit a little snag in that the nut behind the plastic brace over which the air filter goes was lose. So it made putting the air filter bolt back pretty much impossible.
Wyman ended up melting the plastic behind the nut with his newly created little tool, and now the nut stays put!
Afterward the both of us rode a loop in the area of Solvang, high in the hills.

Wyman on his KLR

I saw this area and was filled with longing to find my own meadow somewhere to build my hobbit home. Never mind the fact that I couldn't even purchase an inch of land, let alone a few acres!
Still, one needs to dream I guess to give it a chance to become real.

I love that BMW/KLR sticker on his bike, LOL.
It's perfect because I get asked so many times if Spirit is a BMW.

We met another KLR rider on the road up in the hills. He had just gotten his KLR and wanted to find some dirt roads to ride.
He followed us for a short while and then stopped to have lunch on top of a hill.
The plan is to leave at 7AM tomorrow with Wyman. He's heading to Oregon too, but is taking the faster route because of time restraints. I'll take the slow way along Hwy1 and plan to camp at a free campsite on Plasket Ridge Road off Naciemento-Furguson which is off Hwy1. I saw some pics of the place and it looks awesome.
mjmc335 is letting me camp at his place on Sunday so I can be at the embassy on time on Monday. Cool!
Old 05-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #950
Hessian42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
If you haven't seen it go through Big Sur on your way up the coast. I just went through there last month and the place left me in complete awe. Couple of campgrounds throughout and if you want stealth campsites pm me for some coordinates. Santa cruz is def. a cool town to pass through as well, very laid back and hip. Then take the 9 north out of S.C towards 35 (skyline) and if you want to see some beautiful red woods take the 236 detour which is totally worth it!

Enjoy it!

http://hessianforpatagonia.blogspot.com/

Hessian42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #951
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
Right now for any used tire that will get me to Washington.
Once I get paid from my GoalZero show I am planning on buying a brand new one which should last until I get to Alaska.
But TwilightZone has offered me a T65 that he has lying around.
Ok I am in Redding,I'll watch for your progress up towards Eureka,I'll buzz over and buy coffee if Im still off when you end up in Humbolt.
I see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #952
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,652
>"But TwilightZone has offered me a T63 that he has lying around. "

I think that tire will get you to Alaska.
Hopefully the weather will be nice when you get here...
so I can take you on an 'ADV tour' of NW California.

Shoot me an email when you are a couple days out.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #953
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Ya Im thinking the mighty HWY 36 to South Fork MTN RD 1 and end up on Titlow to 299,that will show her some of the Redwood Curtain!
Old 05-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #954
rodr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
I'll take the slow way along Hwy1 and plan to camp at a free campsite on Plasket Ridge Road off Naciemento-Furguson which is off Hwy1. I saw some pics of the place and it looks awesome.
That sounds great. Another little dirt segment you might enjoy after that is Old Coast Road:

http://goo.gl/maps/Q27bO
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:27 AM   #955
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,632
Talking Aaaaaah NorCal.............

Man you guy's are talking some of my favorite riding areas.... out of Garberville on Alderpoint rd over to Zenia Bluff rd to Ruth Zenia rd down onto Ruth Lake. Around the lake on Mad River rd connecting to 36 then rip it to the Wildwood Store & Cafe in Hayfork where you can eat fuel and BS all things bike. While all along are forest roads zig zagging in all directions with free camping galore. (the main route I've pointed out is all paved Esther . From the Store on 36 you can turn off in Platina on Platina rd and rip it into Redding. All in all some of the best riding in NA!

Enjoy whatever route ya take sista... Oh and the last 22miles of the PCH before it runs into the 101 at Legget is a twisty mountainous tree lined bit of heaven too.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah I love NorCal.
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #956
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
Man you guy's are talking some of my favorite riding areas.... out of Garberville on Alderpoint rd over to Zenia Bluff rd to Ruth Zenia rd down onto Ruth Lake. Around the lake on Mad River rd connecting to 36 then rip it to the Wildwood Store & Cafe in Hayfork where you can eat fuel and BS all things bike. While all along are forest roads zig zagging in all directions with free camping galore. (the main route I've pointed out is all paved Esther . From the Store on 36 you can turn off in Platina on Platina rd and rip it into Redding. All in all some of the best riding in NA!

Enjoy whatever route ya take sista... Oh and the last 22miles of the PCH before it runs into the 101 at Legget is a twisty mountainous tree lined bit of heaven too.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah I love NorCal.
I ride all that often as day rides and I never get tired of any of it,I meet some great people out there,I guess we all gravitate to this magical area of Humbolt/Trinity County.Sad news but the Wildwood Store burnt down this winter so don't count on it for gas,I hear they may rebuild it.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #957
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
Your prolly long past Solvang now but there is just the greatest bike museum there.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #958
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 640
Alaska bound?

Hi Ester,

I never get tired of coming back here to see where you've been and where you're off to next. I'm especially gonna love your Alaska segment cuz we have two of our kids that live in Anchorage and we get up there from time to time. Since I'm too dang old to do it on a bike though, I'll be tuning in from my trusty recliner!

Stay safe!

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Nationa lMonument Ride
Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride

Oldone screwed with this post 08-11-2013 at 05:04 AM
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #959
NomadGal OP
Esther

Back in the people world

I have to say that Wyman spoiled me rotten! Not only did he work on Spirit for me, he also gave me a new camchain tensioner, changed my oil, gave me a new oil pump (for future use in case mine goes belly up), and gave me quite a bit of gas money! I had wanted to take a picture of all those newly bored cylinders sitting on his shelf, but I forgot. They looked awesome though!

Wyman on his spiffed out V-Strom

Wyman and I left early Thursday morning, he was heading to Oregon and me to SF. Once we got to San Louis Obispo he showed me where Hwy 1 was.
We had stopped on a quiet street in SLO, and after we said goodbyes and he left, I looked up where a Walmart was. My Straigh talk plan was ending that day, so I had to go there to buy another monthly card. Turns out that I had to backtrack 10 miles seeing as there was no Wallyworld in SLO.
I stocked up in some more food, got a card, and headed North.

The ocean!! From Coast to Coast and back again

The road along the coast was awesome, and as I passed by Hearst castle I was tempted to detour to take a look at it, but I didn't really feel like it. Maybe some other day.
I did stop by the seal lookout. OMG! thousands of seals spread out on the beach, amazing, and smelly!

I had to post this one too, it's filled with bugs!!

We were both watching each other, but he wasn't moving even when I got closer to take a photo

I can't say the same for the squirrel, he ran when I got nearer

As I was heading North I felt myself longing for some quiet days in the woods, and was longingly looking forward to my camping spot.

I had stopped in front of a little restaurant on the road to see how far Naciemento was,, and somehow forgot to put my sunglasses back on. When I realized that I hadn't I looked down to my tankbag and saw they were gone. :(
I ended up stopping at a little general store and bought some funky new ones.
Of course h I had to take a photo of the beautiful flower outside the store.

Naciemento-Fergusen showed up in no time and after a sharp turn uphill I found myself on a gorgeous but very twisty road into the hills. It was only 7 miles till the turnoff to the dirt road that went to Plasket Ridge road.

Here I go again, some dirt

I had only ridden less than half a mile when I noticed a little "driveway" off the road heading back a bit. It looked like a perfect spot with a great view of the ocean. Well...... if it hadn't been so foggy

Took this shot the next day when it wasn't so foggy. You can see the ocean!

I pitched up my tent and relaxed. Yep, this is exactly what I needed, some R&R. Haha, you'd think I have nothing but R&R on my trip, but for some reason I still get tired and hanging at a quiet spot just soothes the soul!
I spent three days there, and relaxed. Took pictures, went for leisurely strolls, knitted, snoozed etc.

I guess these were put there by the cleanup crew after the forest fire?

Not sure what this was for, but the cables were rolled up and under the base of this tower

This really is an awesome little dirt road for those of you living in the area!

I think if it started pouring, my spot would have been the driest around! That little piece of blue is my tent

I have to say that even though this is a great spot, the area is bug invested! The days are filled with the humming sounds of insects. Needless to say, I loved my little screened room!

On my third day there I heard a bike stop at the end of my "driveway" I went to check it out, and all of a sudden more and more bikes showed up. I had to go over and say hi.
There was one gal with them riding a GS650. Cool! We hung out and talked for a while. I even got some more water as I was running out of it. They all were from the Santa Rosa area, and one of the guys (Sorry forgot your name) actually posts here on ADV. I'm gonna have to find him as I remembered seeing his post on tires.

One guy is missing, he stayed with the bikes.

A little while later another rider on a DRZ400 showed up, Jeff, and we talked for a while after the group left.
He left a little while later to look for his perfect spot on the mountain

This was hanging a little in front of my tent, high up in the air.
Even if it had come down, I am sure I was far enough not to have gotten squashed

I woke up early this morning and broke camp ( done most of it the night before, including making hot coffee that I put it in my thermos, and boy was it ever hot this morning!)
By 8 I was on the road.
I have to mention this however..... it had been an exceptionally warm night last night, and the morning was warm too, but as I was going down the hill it got colder and colder. Normally this would be the other way around!
I'm guessing this is why:

I was getting closer

And closer

Yep smackdab in the middle of it.
The next 30 miles or so I couldn't even take any pictures, couldn't see much in front of me
Unfortunately that included the Big Sur area.

Once I got a few miles past Big Sur, the sky cleared up and now I could see some gorgeous area

Awesome!!!!

I am in Santa Cruz now, heading for Fremont to stay with mjmc335 for a night. He lives about an hour or so from SF where I have to be at noon tomorrow to renew my passport.
I can't wait to have that over and done with. I don't like big cities!
Old 05-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #960
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Nice,the coast is magical like the desert,and it only gets better as you go north,just chillier.