Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #961
Cabrillo
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hey! Great to meet you. It was our group that had the joy of meeting you up on the ridge line yesterday! We loved your solar charging kit: I've already purchased the Guide10+ kit, as will at least a couple of the others in our group.

But... more to the point: fantastic meeting you! We were so impressed by your journey. PM me if you'd like to stop by my wife (LaVerne - who you met) and my home in Santa Rosa on your way north.

Eric
Cabrillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #962
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,021
Thanks so much to Livewire (ADV) and KLRoller (KLRWorld) for your superduper donations! I hadn't realized that my bike insurance had lapsed, you guys saved my butt!
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #963
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 775
PM sent regarding tires.

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #964
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,641
Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
I ride all that often as day rides and I never get tired of any of it,I meet some great people out there,I guess we all gravitate to this magical area of Humbolt/Trinity County.Sad news but the Wildwood Store burnt down this winter so don't count on it for gas,I hear they may rebuild it.
OH MAAAN!!!
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #965
NomadGal OP
Esther

Got to Mike's place last night around 5:30 after having gotten stuck in traffic twice, and pitched up my tent in his back yard. He wasn't home yet and I decided to hit a grocery store for some fresh veggies tofu and mushrooms. While I was cooking Mike and his family showed up and made me feel very welcome. I was pretty beat however and after a nice hot shower decided to hit the sack.
I had asked Mike if I could leave the tent until I came back. so that way I wouldn't have to go to SF fully loaded.
He suggested we meet in SF after I was done with my passport renewal and show me the sights. Cool!
I hit the road early in the morning and after a lot of traffic got to SF around 9:30.
Wow, was I ever in for a surprise! Parking!! who would have thought that this could be such an ordeal???
After circling around a bunch and asking someone what the deal was with all these colored curbs, I accidentally discovered a motorcycle parking curb. Yay! There was one spot left that I was barely able to squeeze Spirit into.
I found the passport picture place, but they were still closed.
I then ended up going to Walgreens but the picture did not look like it would pass.
Hopped back on Spirit and headed to the embassy. Yikes! even harder to find a spot. Luckily I found two motorbike curbs, one was full but the other had two spots left. And guess what? There was 99 KLR parked there too.
Had a cup of coffee at a coffee shop and some granola with almond milk, and decided to get to the embassy early.
Yeah, I was right, photo no good. Again, luckily, the was a professional passport picture taking business right across the street (at a professional price too). I was done in no time and glad that this was over and done with!
Mike was already in SF and we hooked up where Spirit was parked (I told him where).
We rode to the lookout on tip of a hill, but it was very foggy and only once in a while the clouds would clear to give you a glimpse.

We the rode to the other side of the bay up the hill where the rich folk lived and found some gorgeous views unobstructed by fog

At the lookout we noticed another bike parked there. It belonged to Marvin whom we told about ADV.
He promptly posed when I told him about my ride report.

Not camera shy at all

The three of us hung around for a while shooting the breeze and enjoying the sun until it got too hot to be enjoyable.
We said bye to Marvin and he followed us for a little while until he turned on a different road.
Mike then took me on some pretty twisty roads but with gorgeous views.

Before we I knew it we were smack dab in the middle of the red wood forest. Awesome, but some of the stretches were so dark that my camera didn't like it. This one is the best out of the bunch.

We got back to his house after 5 where I worked on Spirit for a little while.
The chain tensioner was loose. Hmmmm, got the rear wheel aligned again and this time tightened the axle nut a tad more. Maybe I had it too loose?

I am pretty petered out right now but exited to hit the road again tomorrow.
I PMed Holckster to see if he had time to meet up near his place and go for a ride.
DaFool has a Heidenau front tire for me. Even though my Shinko in the front is still good, I would love to have the Heidenau on the front.
After that I'm heading to Eureka to see TwlilightZone and put his T63 tire on the rear.
He's going to show me some nice forest roads. Ahem, hopefully not too fast!

I'm feeling a tad spoiled at the moment! So many gifts from Wyman, and new tires left and right. Awesome. I can feel Alaska coming. My passport will be done in three weeks, and mailed to my friend in Washington State.
yay!! I'm so excited!
Old 05-14-2013, 06:06 AM   #966
outriding
Jeff

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post

Naciemento-Fergusen showed up in no time and after a sharp turn uphill I found myself on a gorgeous but very twisty road into the hills. It was only 7 miles till the turnoff to the dirt road that went to Plasket Ridge road.

--snip--
A little while later another rider on a DRZ400 showed up, Jeff, and we talked for a while after the group left.

He left a little while later to look for his perfect spot on the mountain.
Hello NomadGal!:

Really fun to run into you at your campsite a few days ago, and to yak and learn about your amazing trip!

Here's a picture I shot while we visited:

Also, one more shot, taken later that evening from my amazing campsite way up on Plasket Ridge. Way down below you can see the layer of fog that would chill you during your ride the next morning:

Best wishes ...
outriding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #967
NomadGal OP
Esther

Hey Jeff, thanks for the pics. What a nice sunset shot that is!! How far down did you ride?
Old 05-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #968
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,395
Hey Esther-
Remember, if you zig east before heading to Alaska, you've got a piece of floor with your name on it here (okay, there's actually lots of floor available-I still don't have any furniture ), with plenty of tools, etc to help prep the KLR.

If you DON'T zig east, I'd love to head out to the coast and say hello. Give me a couple days warning and I'll meet you out there.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #969
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
Hey Esther-
Remember, if you zig east before heading to Alaska, you've got a piece of floor with your name on it here (okay, there's actually lots of floor available-I still don't have any furniture ), with plenty of tools, etc to help prep the KLR.

If you DON'T zig east, I'd love to head out to the coast and say hello. Give me a couple days warning and I'll meet you out there.
Hey Feike,
Yep I'll remember
I might come and hang for a few days before heading into Alaska while waiting for my paycheck.
There are a few things I want to do to get Spirit ready for the long haul up there, getting a fork brace is one of them.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #970
NomadGal OP
Esther

I'm in Lodi CA right now, at Holckster's place whose house is surrounded by a vineyard. Pretty cool!
Got a slow start yesterday, was feeling kind of disconnected and headachy. Even coffee didn't perk me up......
Mike printed a little map for me on how to get out of Fremont and unto Hwy 84, and we talked about some cool roads to ride in Alaska.
I said goodbye to Mike and headed toward Lodi to visit the Holckster whom I had met on gunflint trail in Minnesota.
The ride there was uneventful, but a few things stood out,

Loads of windmills! Wow. It was very windy there indeed, so a perfect location.

Once I got to the bridge toward Rio Vista it turned out that it was a toll bridge. Hmmm..... no cash! Those guys don't take debit cards either, so I had to go turn around and find an ATM to get some cash out.
It was a bit of a drag, but once I got back to the toll booth the other guy had left and in his place was an Indian fellow who had never seen a woman on a motorbike doing a trip by herself. He said I must be rich in order to be able to do what I'm doing, LOL!
I kept going North along the canal

The area reminded me of Holland, especially once I saw the barge.

A little cherry stand made me step on my brakes and I turned around to purchase a little basket if cherries for a buck.
Doug had texted me that he was at McD in Rio Vista and I met up with him thereHe had his buddy Don with him, and after some french fires, salad and a chocolate milk shake (Doug's treat) the three of us headed toward Ryde island.

It was a super cool ride that included two ferries! I love ferries!!!!

We stopped at an old Chinese settlement that was pretty much a ghost town

Some of the stores are still open though.

Don and I stopped at the grocery store while Doug rode home to get ready for a board meeting.
The evening was very relaxing and we watched a movie about a goofy alien called Paul.
I slept in a bed again

Today I'm riding to see DaFool and put on a new front tire he is donating to me. Cool!
Getting ready for Alaska.
Doug has been to Alaska multiple times, so it's great to get some more info and ideas of where to go.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #971
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,688
If you leave Lodi and end up near Redding to cross over to Eureka let me know it would be fun to say hi,and HWY 36 out of Red Bluff is a good way to cross over to the coast.
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
I still see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #972
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 775
What fun to visit with Nomadgirl after our chance brief meeting last August in Minnesota.

She's a true "Adventure Rider" and I'll continue to follow along.

Maybe we will cross paths again in Alaska?

Safe Travels

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #973
NomadGal OP
Esther

It was great to visit with Holckster, he is a true fountain of knowledge when it comes to Alaska!
He gave me plenty of great ideas and places to go visit.
I left in the morning (a tad later than planned) and took Hwy 12 toward Fairfield where DaFool lives.
That road is in terrible shape!! You also can't pass on it, with truthfully is good seeing the folks drive like crazy, but that meant I was stuck behind a semi-truck and car.
We stopped for a long time, it looked there there was some sort of road block. After we started moving again there were a bunch of cops and a single car parked in the middle of the road. It didn't look like and accident but I couldn't tell.
At one point the truck stopped at a river and it turned out that the bridge was going up (well in these case sideways.
I decided that this was the perfect opportunity to safely the truck and car.
I scooted in front of the truck and was able to watch the bridge do its thing.

You can see the mast of the sailboat going through

I got to DaFools place pretty late but he said perfect timing. He only had one day off and he regretted not having any time to help me get the tire on, so I strapped it on top my luggage. LOL I felt like JettnJim or Parepin.
I thanked him for the cool Heidenau tire, and rode off again toward Pilsbury lake north of Clearlake.

The first stretch of that route was on a small windy road through the vineyards and unto 121 toward Lake Berryessa.
Wow, what a cool road!

I met another solitary rider at a rest stop and said hi. He was just out for a day cruise but wished he could do what I was doing.

The road got gradually rougher after this and I found myself crossing some streams here and there that ran over the road.

Glad I didn't have to move that thing!

I got to Lower lake and it was a great ride along the Eastern shore of the lake toward upper lake

Once I got to upper lake I couldn't find the road to Pilsbury Lake so I asked a local guy sitting on a bench in front of a shop. I was already on it LOL.
Now, that road is plain exhausiting at times! 180 twisty ofter 180 twisty going steeply up a rough patched road with potholes and gravel. Yikes!
I kept on going up and up after passing a funky paid campsite and at one point I noticed a turnoff into a grass field that looked as if more folks had at one time or another camped there. Yay! great view, free, perfect!

Part of me wanted to camp on the edge of the hill, but the grass was high and tricky, there were holes in the ground everywhere, and the area would not have been comfy to sleep on. So I decided to just stay where I had parked.

Some gorgeous flowers

I just had to take a pic from this angle!

I slept great and even though I woke up in the middle of the night hearing the pitter patter of rain on my tent. Rain lulls me right back to sleep again though.

It was cloudy but dry in the morning, I could actually see the lake in the distance

Hmmm, most flowers seem to have bugs on them

I was packed up and ready to go by 10, but Spirit wouldn't start. Ahhh. I had been having trouble with my starter button so after wiggling it for a while Spirit started

The plan had been to go to Lake Pilsbury and then toward Covelo where I would take the turnoff to Hwy 101.
Well, I rode toward it for a while when all of a sudden the pavement ended.
Hmmmmm, do I really want to go 50 miles on dirt with a bald tire?? Nope!
I decided to turn around and go back to Upper Lake and take Hwy 20 unto 101.
Truthfully this was a very pretty route. Hwy 101 was not at all like a busy freeway, it was actually quiet and beautiful

I got to TwilightZone's house around 3 PM and we got to changing the tires immediately.
A few hours later Spirit had two new tires on her.

Heidenau in front

Shinko in the back.

It turns out Bruce had a T63 and I thought he had said T65 by Michelin. The 63 was just way to knobby for me!
He then offered me the same Shinko I already had on. Cool!
Then I decided to take off the starter switch to clean it. It was filthy.
Unfortunately that had not been the problem, so I thought battery? Turns out all the middle cells were empty.
We filled them back up and put the battery on the charger. Hopefully that will do the trick

His wife Ray had a very sweet surprise for me

Chocolate covered raisins!

She had been reading my ride report and knew that I like dark chocolate covered raisons.
I felt very touched and honored

Today Bruce and I are going for a longgggggg ride.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #974
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,688
Nice tire combo should be able to get some miles outta both,enjoy your tour of Humbolt County.That Hwy 12 between Rio Vista and Fairfield can be crazy,they have had some pretty Nasty accidents on that stretch.
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
I still see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #975
rodr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Hey I'm in Fairfield! Sorry to have missed ya. Suisun Valley / Wooden Valley /121 up to Berryessa, and Berryessa Knoxville Road on up to Lower Lake are some of my favorites. Glad you got to experience them.
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote