Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #991
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
Ester,

Your photos just get better all the time. Or maybe it's the country? Anyway, the combination lends itself to some awesome photos and to ride on roads with a stream following along can't be beat. Thanks for the great entertaining RR.

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Rid
e
I think it's just the scenery getting better!
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #992
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Lodi View Post
Ha, found you. You're moving right along! It was great getting to share a few s)miles with you.
LOL, that yellow draw bridge was in a plastic cocoon till recently. I'm glad they got done painting it for ya.

Stay safe and sound.
Hey Don, it was great meeting and riding with you, not to mention watching "Paul "
Ride safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie1808 View Post
It was so great having you stay with us. You are admired and loved by so many.
Safe travels and we will keep on reading to see what other great places you go.
Hey Ray, it was great meeting a fellow woman rider!
Thanks so much again for the chocolate covered raisins and the scrumptious pancakes. Not to mention the wonderful dinners!
Good thing I didn't hang around too long, I wouldn't like having to buy new riding pants cause these didn't fit anymore
Old 05-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #993
NomadGal OP
Esther

Thank you Zilla for your donation!
It blows my mind to get surprised over and over again.
All the donations have kept me alive and riding.
Glad to be making some money again though at the end of the month.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #994
sadie1808
n00b

Oddometer: 2
>"Hey Ray, it was great meeting a fellow woman rider!
Thanks so much again for the chocolate covered raisins and the scrumptious pancakes. Not to mention the wonderful dinners!
Good thing I didn't hang around too long, I wouldn't like having to buy new riding pants cause these didn't fit anymore "

You are so welcome. We loved having you. Stay safe!

Old 05-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #995
timbercat
Texas ADV Rider

Oddometer: 134
PM sent
http://tinyurl.com/timbercat-spot
Texas to Georgia to Texas to Washington State to Texas. (15 States) - June 2013
timbercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:53 PM   #996
NomadGal OP
Esther

I think I need to change the title of my RR!
I've been on the road over a year now, so maybe it ought to be NomadGal's year on the road and then some

Last Sunday I met up with my friend Geoffrey from Kauai, he got my registration renewed for me before he flew to Oregon.
We browsed through REI ( G got me one of those cool travel towels) and then took a hike in a park in Eugene. One section had nothing but rhododendrons, gorgeous.
Believe it or not, but I actually forgot my camera!!
Good thing I had my cellphone. The photos aren't as clear, but I still feel I should post some.

Not a Rhododendron, but I thought this flower was awesome!

this was a humongous orange poppy

After a cup of coffee for Geoffrey and a carrot juice for me, we said goodbye, he drove back to Portland and flew to Maine the next day.

I left my wonderful friends in Elmira on Tuesday and headed inland toward Bend.
Yeah....... starting out in the rain adds a whole other dimension to traveling experience! Boy was I ever thankful for my great rain gear. Not only is it light and visible, it kept me utterly dry and warm.
First stop was the visitors bureau in Eugene as I did not have a Map of Oregon. I missed it the first time around so I looped around and rode into a parking lot so I could easily turn around and back on the road again.
I slowly pulled out toward the street, and WHAM! Out of the corner of my eye I saw thin wheels, my brain said a bicyclist, before the bike's momentum tipped me and it over. I hit the pavement harder then I would have thought possible, hitting my head (helmet) on the sidewalk. I got up fast and the only thing I could think of was, OMG is the biker okay, and Jeezzzz the gas is pouring out of my tank. I quickly put the tank lid vent-hose up, and looked at the young woman who was riding the bike. She was also on her feet, and apologized for hitting me. I thought it had been my mistake for not checking the sidewalk. As it turned out she wasn't supposed to be riding on the sidewalk, but she said everyone in Eugene did it. Well, learned something else that day! She helped me get Spirit back on her wheels, and then she saw my Hawaiian license plate. We talked about Kauai for a while and she hopped back on her bike, after I helped her get the chain back on, and rode off. I gave Spirit the quick look over, but other than a bent hand guard (again!) she seemed okay. I did rip the strap of my tank-bag though, got to fix that again too. The impact did give me a splitting headache for the rest of the day, but luckily it went away in the evening.
This time I did find the visitor info office and scored 2 maps: one normal roadmap and one for motorcycles, yay! Cool!
I rode to Bend in the pouring rain, and tried on Wyman's overgloves that he gave me. Those things worked great! they kept my hands warmer and definitely totally dry. The only thing is they are huge and awkward, and I cam most definitely not hold a camera with those on. Soooo, no pics heading there. It was way too wet to take pictures anyway.
As I got to Hwy 242 the sign said road closed 11 miles ahead. I guess there was still too much snow on it. Bummer.
I got to Bend and hit a Starbucks to warm up a bit. I also was out of Sterno so I had to go and stop at Wallyworld.
I totally scored there, they had those packets of hand warmers on sale. a 10 pack (each had 2) for $3. Now I can stay warm at night in case it is cold. (I toss a couple in my sleeping bag, boy does that ever work.
Afterward I rode back to Sisters and found the road heading south into the National forest.
I rode around a bit but didn't see anywhere I liked, so I headed up in the hills some more. AHEMMM bad idea!
It was fully snowing up there, so I turned around and found another turn off. There were other folks camped on this dirt road, but I decided that it might not be a bad idea to have some people around.
I pitched my tent up, with tarp over it this time. and watched the snowflakes fall down.

Hmmm, it was snowing as I took this picture, but you can't see it..... bummer

The temperature dropped considerably by 7 pm and I knew I was in for a cold night.
I figured it was good, seeing as I was heading to Alaska, this would toughen me up no problem!

The next day was really cold, but I managed to grab a few rays of sunshine in the afternoon, and I also made a fire and cuddled up next to it in my little chair and spend a little while knitting. The wind kept changing so I kept on being smoked out of my chair with teary eyes. Yeah, I think my sweater that I am knitting for Alaska already has the smokey nomad smell!

At first I was going to leave the next day, but it was such a nice day that I decided to hang and relax again. This time I did walk around to take some pictures

Today I did manage to pack up and leave. I was a bit sluggish, so it was noon before I finally hit the road.
The weather forecast had said rain and snow in the Cascades, so I wrapped up. It was sunny however, but I figured that could change in the blink of an eye.

The view of a side road in Sisters

Just awesome!

going over the pass

One of the roads on the bikers map was this one, it's off Hwy 22 south of Detroit OR, and ends up in Sweet Home.

This road started of innocuous but boy, was I ever in for a surprise!

I just had to stop and play in the snow for a while! Note to self, making snowman with bare hands hurts!!

Yeah, for bikes only, not recommended for cars!

Spring is in the air!

Hmmm, I wonder what happened here??

I rode from Sweet home through hamlets until I realized I had to go through Corvalis, I had missed the little blank spot on the map where no road went over the water. Grrr.
Bruce H had offered me a place to pitch my tent in Newport, so I decided to take him up on it. I need to change Spirit's oil too. So I headed to the coast again

Now I am in my tent in front of Bruce's shop, on a rather noisy road. Yep Bruce, I guess there is more traffic here during the night than during the day
I guess the fact that it is Friday and Memorial weekend might have something to do with it.
The nice thing is good internet!
So here I am freezing my butt off, my fault, I didn't wan to squash my sleeping bag with my laptop, cause then I'd have to fluff it up again, while writing my ride report.
I hope I'm not boring any of you with all the flower photos. I just think they are one of the most beautiful things in this world.
Very delicate and detailed. Just perfect!
Good night!

NomadGal screwed with this post 05-25-2013 at 12:01 AM
Old 05-25-2013, 03:28 AM   #997
arraflipper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Bored

The pictures of flowers and the places you have been riding sure don't bore me any. I lived west of Portland and have camped and been on a lot of those roads, so have been enjoying this area a lot. The rain out there does get old, but with a good gear to keep you dry the scenery keeps your eyes busy, and the mind happy. Keep sharing look forward to each post.
arraflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:06 AM   #998
LUVMYDR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I am leaving Central Cali this Am ( in about an hour) for my first ADV ride (2 weeks) into OR and some of the areas you are in now. Really looking forward to it. Your RR has helped me plan my route. Thanks I have enjoyed very much.

ian408 screwed with this post 10-28-2013 at 11:55 PM Reason: removed picture quote.
LUVMYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:32 AM   #999
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,498
Not bored with the flowers at. Like you I love flowers especially wild flowers. Being out in nature and seeing where the delicate bloomers will hold on and thrive is amazing. Taking the time to enjoy and appreciate the flowers along the way brings a person closer to their travels and world around them.

Keep enjoying all that is out there.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #1000
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Hi Esther!
You take great pictures no matter what the subject. I like seeing the different variety of shape and color of all the flowers and plants. It's very cool to see things in your ride report that I may never see in real life. ThankYou for taking the time to share your ride!
Best regards and ride safe....justjeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #1001
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUVMYDR View Post
I am leaving Central Cali this Am ( in about an hour) for my first ADV ride (2 weeks) into OR and some of the areas you are in now. Really looking forward to it. Your RR has helped me plan my route. Thanks I have enjoyed very much.
I am glad it has! Do me a favor though and go back and edit your post to not include the pictures? It's just odd to have all of them posted twice, and a little confusing too I bet
Old 05-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #1002
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Not bored with the flowers at. Like you I love flowers especially wild flowers. Being out in nature and seeing where the delicate bloomers will hold on and thrive is amazing. Taking the time to enjoy and appreciate the flowers along the way brings a person closer to their travels and world around them.

Keep enjoying all that is out there.
Hi Ladybug, I was told you like flowers
I am still looking for the one to post on your page, just for you
Old 05-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #1003
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
Hi Esther!
You take great pictures no matter what the subject. I like seeing the different variety of shape and color of all the flowers and plants. It's very cool to see things in your ride report that I may never see in real life. ThankYou for taking the time to share your ride!
Best regards and ride safe....justjeff
Glad you are still liking it, and glad you are still "riding" along
Old 05-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #1004
NomadGal OP
Esther

I thought maybe I'd post here that I am looking for a place to stay in Washington, somewhere near Sequim, maybe even Port Angeles or Port Townsend.
I have PMed Canine and DammitDave, but in case they have a full yard already I might need a back-up plan.
I work at Sequim's Costco for GoalZero from May 31 till June 9th, so I'll need a place to pitch my tent from May 30th to June 9th.
Let me know if you know of any places to camp around there. No national forests there by the looks of it. I'll do some more digging though.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #1005
John Fabian
Fabe

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
"I hope I'm not boring any of you with all the flower photos. I just think they are one of the most beautiful things in this world."
Your wonderful flower photos are a unique hallmark to your amazing adventure. Thank you and please post more.
John Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote