Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #1081
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,049
Staying at DeanMan in Port Angeles now.
I decided not to bug Canine for the whole 10 day stretch
I will post more later because I have to get ready for work!
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #1082
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
I've got a set of Barkbuster Storms sittin here in a drawer if you want em, NG. If you pass central BC (Nelson area) stop by and grab em. That is if you do have Barkbusters. They cover a lot more area than the regulars.
Thanks Toadride!
Looking at the moose covers, they look pretty cool. Of course, the only way to see if they work is to use them
I'll let everyone know how they are
Old 06-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #1083
NomadGal OP
Esther

I'm done!!!!!
Ten long hard days but I should have earned enough money to get to Alaska! Yay!
The ride to work was about 30 minutes from Canine's place and about 40 from Dean's but the ride was gorgeous.

The sunset pics did not come out too good, but I'll post them anyway.

Tomorrow I'm installing the heat grips and the moose wind blockers, and seeing as the front is going to be off, I might as well see why she sometimes doesn't start (loose wire up front).
As soon as I get paid I'll get a new battery as well, and get some extra gear for the road, like a new, and bigger, tarp. Maybe I'll even get an umbrella! Having camped in the rain in Oregon I realize that an umbrella might be nice when nature calls that way my behind will stay nice and dry.

I also saw a really nice "camelback", made by High Sierra at Costco. It has more storage, and mine has seen better days.
A rat or chipmunk chewed on my mouth piece during the rain in Oregon, not sure why, but it's a bit deformed right now. Still works though.

I think the only thing about being stuck in the tent during rain is not to be able to sit comfortable. Costco also had a foam bleacher chair with blanket. I'm still thinking about this one. It's rather large, but doesn't weigh anything. The extra blanket will come in handy too.

I'm excited! I should be on the road again next Saturday or Sunday.
Alaska here I come..........................
Old 06-10-2013, 05:00 AM   #1084
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Great country....

Ester,

This has to be about the most complete RR of any that I've followed. You've just about done it all and I continue to be completely amazed at what you accomplish. Imagine tearing an engine apart several times on top of everything else! This is so entertaining to read that I can't wait to get back to it if I've been away for a few days. Thanks for taking the time to keep us informed as to what's happening next. Stay safe on your travels.....

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Rid
e

Oldone screwed with this post 06-15-2013 at 08:50 AM
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #1085
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,848
Lotsa neat new stuff,how ya gonna carry it all LOL
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #1086
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
might be time for a trailer or side car
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #1087
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
The bike not starting sometimes might be the clutch safety switch, my KLR does that once in a while. I just work the lever a couple times and she fires right up, one of these days I'll have to bypass it. Ride on girl!

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:53 AM   #1088
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,744
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post
The bike not starting sometimes might be the clutch safety switch, my KLR does that once in a while. I just work the lever a couple times and she fires right up, one of these days I'll have to bypass it. Ride on girl!
Yup either bypass it, or...... take the two screws out and clean it with WD40 and reinstall. Same for the sidestand switch.
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #1089
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,863
>"The bike not starting sometimes might be the clutch safety switch, my KLR does that once in a while."

Dunno. She had some troubles when she was here in Eureka.
Played around and just a finger 'poke' on the connection box fixed it. (temporarily)

Does the clutch have to pulled in to start a KLR in neutral ?

Esther... have you seen auroras? Pretty darn neat.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #1090
NomadGal OP
Esther

I'm pretty sure both clutch and side stand safety switches are gone. I removed the side-stand one a year ago, and my friend whom I got the bike from said he removed the clutch one.
Even in neutral she wouldn't start. I haven't had a problem since I was at TwilightZone's home. So I'm guessing something has changed.

I've successfully installed heated grips! Yay and the Moose windbreakers. Both are awesome!
Will post pics in a bit.
I also need to google how the heated grips work. there were only installation instructions, but no operating info.
When I turn the dial a little the light blinks, when I turn it a lot it stops blinking.
Not sure which way is hot or warm yet.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #1091
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,744
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
I'm pretty sure both clutch and side stand safety switches are gone. I removed the side-stand one a year ago, and my friend whom I got the bike from said he removed the clutch one.
Even in neutral she wouldn't start. I haven't had a problem since I was at TwilightZone's home. So I'm guessing something has changed.

I've successfully installed heated grips! Yay and the Moose windbreakers. Both are awesome!
Will post pics in a bit.
I also need to google how the heated grips work. there were only installation instructions, but no operating info.
When I turn the dial a little the light blinks, when I turn it a lot it stops blinking.
Not sure which way is hot or warm yet.
Coool it's working gooood! The light blinks as the power is being fed to the elements. when you first turn the dial a leeetle it blinks on shortly and off longer. Meaning little shots of power/heat, as you turn it more it stays lit longer meaning longer burst of 12v to the grips. When near max it stays lit all the time feeding power constantly.
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #1092
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,863
>"I haven't had a problem since I was at TwilightZone's home. So I'm guessing something has changed."

Played around and just a finger 'poke' on the connection box fixed it. (maybe permanently)

You probably should have a look in there.
Easier to fix if you're not on the road... in Alaska... in a snowstorm... with mosquitoes... ticks... and hungry grizzly bears.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #1093
NomadGal OP
Esther

Finally got around to uploading the pics of Spirit being worked on.

Getting ready to run the wiring from the grips to the battery

JettnJim also sent me some wind/rain blockers. They are awesome!

As I was working on Spirit I kept on having to tiptoe around so I wouldn't squash any caterpillars.
There were thousands of them, literally!!

I took her for a ride yesterday, and the grips are just amazing!!! Warm hands! What a luxury Thanks you so much RidingUpAndDown and Jim!!

I really loved staying with Dean and Michele, they are such wonderful people, and easy to be around. Michele is great, and such an awesome cook too! They have a great place that is indeed perfect for tent space for anyone on a road trip. I think Dean is already expecting another rider this way soon.

Today I am slowly packing up and heading to Sequim. Why you might ask?.......
Serendipity would be my answer
While doing the GoalZero roadshow at Costco I met a lot of people. One of them called Gray Wolf. He purchased quite a lot of items from me, and seemed like a very spiritual person, so did his wife whom I think is a doctor.
To make a long story short, he offered a place to stay for me while I was waiting for my paycheck to come in. Seems like he has a teepee I can stay in. That just sounds awesome! I have always wanted to stay in a teepee

So that's where I am heading today.
If my check gets deposited on Friday I'm planning on stocking up for the road and going to Victoria island on Saturday.
I'm very excited, but anxious as well somehow. I can't say why really, but somehow I am. I think every time I have had some comfort and "security" I seem to have to adjust to the unknown again. Like a paradigm shift over and over again.
I guess we have been raised and taught to prepare and plan for the future, which makes it hard at times to not do just that. Letting go and taking each day as it comes is definitely a learned skill.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #1094
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Grips!

Well, I've thought about heated grips for years and have always talked myself out of them. Now, I go and read about these and how much they're loved. How in the world do I talk myself out of them now? I'm afraid I've had it this time! Thanks much, (I think.)

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #1095
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
Well, I've thought about heated grips for years and have always talked myself out of them. Now, I go and read about these and how much they're loved. How in the world do I talk myself out of them now? I'm afraid I've had it this time! Thanks much, (I think.)

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Yeah, I used them today, and boy do they ever get hot!!! I had to turn them down!