Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #1111
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,050
I slept great, and had just made myself a cup of coffee when I heard the sound of a motorbike in front of my door.......
Of course, curiosity kills the cat, so I just had to go and look and see who it was.
It turned out to be Bill Waller who had been reading my ride report and who knew exactly which motel the $49.99 was.
As we stood there talking the price actually changed!

I asked him to hold up the old price

I got lucky and came at just the right night I guess!
Bill rode a really nice old BMW. the one they used to make in Australia.
Of course, it being so early in the morning and my head still rather foggy, I forgot to take a photo of him and his bike. Sorry Bill!! Maybe you could take one of you and your bike for me and post it here on my RR?? That would be awesome!

Anyway, I'm heading to Tofino in a bit and am going to enjoy camping out again for a while.
As Bill and I were looking at a map of Vancouver island I noticed that there is also a ferry leaving north from here at Courtenay going to Powell River, so I am thinking of going that way, it looks really pretty.
Well, till later folks
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #1112
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,212
That's high class living right there.They had no other choice but to raise their rates.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #1113
Deanman
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Esther, it was great having you stay with us, Michele and I enjoyed your company. If you are ever back this way you know you are welcome here. Here are a couple shots of you just before departure.
Safe travels!
Deanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #1114
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,039
Fun catching up to you this morning. Hope you missed the rain we got here, Bill
 photo DSCF1245.jpg
Old 06-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #1115
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
Thanks gunnerbuck!I am indeed heading to Gold river! I'll write down the other places and roads you mentioned. I've got to get a new tube before I hit any dirt roads, just in case my patching didn't work
Yeah in two weeks I'll be somewhere in the northern part of BC or in Yukon Territories.
If you need DS tire and tube related stuff stop in at the Bikesmith in Cambell River, He is about a half dozen blocks from Walmart, turn right at the Ironwood mall and go a couple blocks past the mall, past the co-op gas and then turn right into the industrial buildings, he is in the back corner...

That ferry from Comox takes you over to the mainland, but you need 2 more ferries to get you onto a road {Sea to Sky HWY} into the interior...

I hope the weather gods smile for you, it's been nice up towards the northern part of the Island except for the late day thunder showers...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #1116
beemerron
machine washable

Oddometer: 2,776
Quote:
I slept great, and had just made myself a cup of coffee when I heard the sound of a motorbike in front of my door.......
Of course, curiosity kills the cat, so I just had to go and look and see who it was.
It turned out to be Bill Waller who had been reading my ride report and who knew exactly which motel the $49.99 was.
As we stood there talking the price actually changed!
Or Bill Smith as he is known there.

I keed.
beemerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #1117
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,039
No, my name is not Smith.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #1118
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,477
Quote:
It is definitely faster!!!! Sorry I'm not heading your way, I really wanted to explore Vancouver island!
No worries-hopefully we'll get a chance to get together on your way south!

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #1119
ninjadance
PAW

Oddometer: 22
hi Esther from Ann

our ride group meets tonite and i will regale them with the story of your wonderful adventure. you've given me hope that i just have to get out there and 'do it' dammbit! our group is headed to Sol Duc this weekend. i sent you a PM yesterday.
ninjadance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:06 AM   #1120
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Packed perfect!

Ester,

It's really amazing how perfectly packed your bike looks. You mention that it "takes a long time" to load up but I can sure see why it would take awhile. With someone like you who travels on and on with no end in sight, I can see why you need every last item that you take with you!

This has been a blast following along on your adventure. I don't know if I've read anything better......Thanks for taking the time to continue on with this RR. It's great!

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Rid
e
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #1121
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,302
Esther, fantastic adventure your on! As someone that has suffered bungy cord failure, I would seriously suggest you use some small ratchet straps to secure everything. Bungy cords are ok for small items, but for serious cargo, I really wouldnt want anything but strong ratchet straps.

The Blog from our adventure ride
Stan Dalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #1122
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
If you need DS tire and tube related stuff stop in at the Bikesmith in Cambell River,
Not sure a DS tire would fir a KLR But I am planning on stopping there and getting a new tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
That ferry from Comox takes you over to the mainland, but you need 2 more ferries to get you onto a road {Sea to Sky HWY} into the interior...
Yep I saw that , but it just looked like an awesome way to go. Had nothing but rain yesterday, but found another awesome place to crash!
Old 06-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #1123
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
Ester,

It's really amazing how perfectly packed your bike looks. You mention that it "takes a long time" to load up but I can sure see why it would take awhile. With someone like you who travels on and on with no end in sight, I can see why you need every last item that you take with you!

This has been a blast following along on your adventure. I don't know if I've read anything better......Thanks for taking the time to continue on with this RR. It's great!

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Rid
e
Thanks Gary! It does take me a while, but then I think if someone else were to load my bike they would take longer, and probably not even manage to get it all on there
Old 06-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #1124
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Dalone View Post
Esther, fantastic adventure your on! As someone that has suffered bungy cord failure, I would seriously suggest you use some small ratchet straps to secure everything. Bungy cords are ok for small items, but for serious cargo, I really wouldnt want anything but strong ratchet straps.
I actually have some of those heavy duty bungee cords. They haven't really ever failed me except that one time I was stupid and strapped it right behind the muffler.
The time on the dirt road I probably didn't strap the hook down, hence it came apart.
I tried the strap yesterday as I think someone took off with one of my bungee cords at the campsite. I didn't like it because that side kept shifting. But I see what you mean. If I ever have a major failure I will,
Old 06-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #1125
NomadGal OP
Esther

AAAhhhhhhh, I had 3 wonderful relaxing days at a small lake near Maggie lake.

I packed Spirit up after meeting with Bill, she is more loaded now because of the foam seat, but boy is that thing ever comfy inside the tent.

The road to Tofino was beautiful, and my heart soared upon seeing the snowcapped mountain.

Ann's flower made the day even brighter!

In Tofino

Now if I were a millionaire, I would have hired the pilot to take me flying over the area. That would have been awesome!

Tofino is a surfer town, and know for its beaches. Hmmmm, yeah I am spoiled being from Hawaii. Still, it was very beautiful

After a cup of coffee and a look online at google maps I found Toquart Bay Road.
I headed out hoping to find a nice quiet place to myself.

Found it! The first part was steep, but after that the gravel was mostly packed down with the exception of the center.
After about 10 minutes I noticed a small turnoff and saw a little lake. I squeezed between two big boulders, which I am sure were meant to keep cars and trucks out , and found the perfect little spot to pitch my tent

It looked like it might start pouring in no time so I decided to put the tarp over my tent instead of under. I was glad I did.
Seeing as folks told me that many a bear roamed the woods I went and hung my food in a tree again, and cooked away from the tent. It had been a long but great day, and I went happily to bed and slept great with the sound of rain hitting the tarp.

No bear, but another guest. Funny though, he had a bell around his neck, so I heard him coming.

The next morning promised a nice sunny day, and I spend the day lounging in the sun and hanging my feet in the clear, but freezing cold lake.

Another guest sharing my tent with me. He took a liking to my baby wipes container

Getting more done on my sweater

This day was perfect for recharging my battery pack!

You'd think that after a day of doing nothing I'd have trouble falling asleep, not so!! I slept like a baby and woke up to drizzling. No sun that day, but I didn't mind. I was sure thankful for my bench seat, it made sitting in my tent so much more comfortable!
It cleared up a little later in the day

Had another guest, think he was here for the coffee!

Another one chose Sterno for his picker-upper

An amazing sunset

I packed up as much as I could that day so I would be out of there at a decent time in the morning.
I was ready and set to go at 10

I never did go all the way to Maggie Lake. Oh well

Shortly after hitting the road it started to rain, and it basically didn't stop until I stopped around 8 in the evening.
I rode back toward Parksville and then on to Courtenay and Campbell River.
I did stop to look for Sterno, but nobody seemed to have heard of it.
I ended up stopping at a Tire place which I heard carried a lot of camping supplies. I did find something else that I thought I'd try. I also got some bear spray, and some other stuff I needed to get.

Managed to take a few pics between rain bouts.

I got to Gold River later in the evening, it was still light outside but it was also still pouring.
I rode around on dirt roads trying to find a place to pitch my tent or hammock, but nothing felt right.
I decided to turn around and head back a few miles where I had seen some campers along the river.
It was a good move because as soon as I was a few miles down the road it stopped raining.
I found the place I had seen earlier and rode down the gravel road past the campers unto a little trail.
There it was, right before my eyes, the perfect camp spot! yay!!!!

And what a view!

There were a couple of ladies in a camper further down the trail, and I asked them if I needed a permit, but they said no.
Yippee! I was in heaven

I used my new fuel gadget, and boy did it ever work!!! Funny how I grumbled when I couldn't find what I was looking for when this actually made me find something that works even better! Gray Wolf showed me how to make my own fuel system based on Alcohol, but I haven't gotten around to make it yet. I will soon do that.

I was bone weary that day, I guess all that rain will do that to you and I slept like a rock.

The next morning was pancake time! I hadn't had any in a while

See how the little fuel can has a wick! It's clever and works great, my pancakes actually browned!

I decided to go back to Gold River and find some internet and do my RR.

Had to take a pic of this little patch of blue sky

I found a coffee shop called Uptown Cappuccino which has a grumpy but sweet owner and his loving and much more mellow wife.

He made me an awesome baked potato with veggies. Yum