Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #1126
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,033
I think your one of the few persons I've meet who accepts what the weather is and just makes the best of it. All the same I hope you see some sun before you leave the island. Bill.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #1127
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Oddometer: 1,060
So did you see the goats in Coombs?
Old 06-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #1128
beemerron
machine washable

Oddometer: 2,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecycledRS View Post
I think your one of the few persons I've meet who accepts what the weather is and just makes the best of it. All the same I hope you see some sun before you leave the island. Bill.
+1

Regarding the bungees: I started using nylon straps when I lost a sleeping bag along the road many years ago. ROK Straps rock. I also carry a cargo net in case I need to throw on a few incidental items.

Carry on. Pun intended.
Hey, I'm working down here. - Ed Norton
beemerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #1129
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 963
I have discovered that forgiving yourself is one of the hardest things in life, at least for me
I had to purchase a new phone last week because mine wouldn't work in Canada.
The gal in the store activated it for me, and gave me the receipt and showed me how to go online and how to add minutes etc on the cell.
She also told me not to lose the receipt, which I thought she said cause it had my new phone number on it.
I did lose the receipt and figured I know my new number.
Turns out that the reason my new phone didn't work, couldn't receive calls, was that she never did upload the $50 plan, and the 10 digit code was on my receipt.
Of course I was furious with myself for not putting the receipt somewhere safe, for not going online right away to check my account, and for many other reasons, including being so darn lazy all the time!
Then another thought entered my mind. The reason I was so flustered about all this was not just losing the receipt, but also maybe losing $50. I keep telling myself it's just money. But I guess for so many of us money means freedom, in my case literally
Until I figure out what kind of work I wish to do, something that makes me happy, I just dread having to get a job knowing how depressed I get working a shitty job.

From the movie Side Effects with Jude Law: "Depression is when one has no future one can see" (or something like it) that struck a note in me, and made me realize that living in the now is crucial for someone like me who cannot fathom a future.

Anyways, enough with the heavy.
Where was I?? Oh yeah, camped at a lake near Gold Rush.
After my meal at the diner I headed back to the campsite and hung around outside. Took some pictures and made a fire

Another camper's dog OJ

A fire to keep the bugs at bay

He took a shine to me

Made my own alcohol stove

Woke up to this Saturday

That Saturday (it was still drizzling) I decided to go to Tahsis I rode to Gold River and gassed up. This I think is the first time I decided to take a dirt road just to go somewhere and not to find an excellent campground. The road was hardpacked dirt and gravel, wet from all the rain, but easy to ride.

As I got closer to Tahsis it got sunny!!!

I had a cup of coffee and found out that for $3 I could take a shower. Yay!!!!

They had a small tank with starfish

After some coffee and a shower I decided to head back to camp.

Yay! do you see what I saw??? My first bear!!

This picture does not do it justice :(

Got back to camp and I could actually see the snowy mountain behind the lake

I spend Sunday in my tent, it poured all day long, and I knitted and read. I was loving my bench seat!!!

On Monday I packed under the tarp to keep everything dry and set out in the rain.
My plan was to go to Strathcona Park to see a waterfall I had seen a a brochure
At one point I saw the sign Myra falls. I think those were the falls in the brochure.
Of course a hike was needed to get there, but the sign said it was a short one.

Wow!

There was a family there who were able to take a shot of me

The ride back was drier so I was able to take some scenic shots

I have no idea why I mix things up in my mind, but for some reason I thought the ferry to Powell River left from Campbell River.
So here I was at the wrong ferry at the right time. Ahhhh, After the lady told me I was in the wrong place I put the pedal to the metal and made it to the right ferry by the skin of my teeth.

There was another biker called Todd, he was just out for a couple of days ride. He was curious about my ride and how I spend the nights etc. We talked for a while and I also had a vegetarian gluten free burrito! I told him I'd meet up with him on the next ferry seeing as I wanted to change my oil in Powell River.

Once in Powell River I found Guy's bike shop and he was just about to close, yikes!
He was really a sweetie though and gave me an oil pan to borrow and told me I could change my oil behind the shop.

I was able to stay dry in one little spot behind the building
My oil filter was clean!!! Wow!!! That is the first time ever!! I was so happy
I left the pan and an almost full quart of Rotella T behind with a thank you note on the oil bottle.

After my oilchange I rode to the 0 mile marker for Hwy 101

Made it to the ferry toward the sunshine (rainy )coast island. No Todd
I guess he either turned around because of the rain, or grabbed a motel.

There was only one other car on the ferry and then it started raining buckets!!! I was glad to be somewhere dry!

Found a provincial campsite at Roberts Creek. The sign said they would come by to collect the money, but nobody did. Yippee!!

It poured again that night but I slept like a rock.
Now I'm in Setchelt at a Starbucks, ready to go and make it to the next ferry. Till later!!
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #1130
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Hmmmm, not sure about that one, I'm getting sick and tired of rain!!
Old 06-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #1131
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,067
oops

Rain and the PNW are synonymous to each other, also a fondness for the color green. So if this is bugging you, head back on

down to Arizona. NO RAIN but you need to love the color Brown & develop a fondness for ROCKS

Oh! I forgot to add it's nice & warm now suppose to be 117* this week----trade ya -----

Arizona OHV Ambassador

BELSTAFF screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 04:05 PM Reason: add
BELSTAFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #1132
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,618
>"I'm getting sick and tired of rain!! "

It is raining all over the PNW. Hopefully you may get better weather
as you head north... or perhaps it may snow.

BTW... I think your bike is pretty well 'maxed' out on load.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #1133
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
>"I'm getting sick and tired of rain!! "

It is raining all over the PNW. Hopefully you may get better weather
as you head north... or perhaps it may snow.

BTW... I think your bike is pretty well 'maxed' out on load.

Hahahaha, what makes you say that????
It's less now, I had to strap 3 quarts of oil to the top for my oil change, and some of my junk that normally goes in my cases because I bought too much food. 10 days worth!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #1134
just jeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Obviously Your skill level is increasing as the load does!! LOL! I wonder....have you ridden Spirit unloaded recently? Bet She would feel really zippy!
Best Regards and safe riding....justjeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #1135
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiffynimrod View Post
So did you see the goats in Coombs?
Goats? Hmmm nope!
Haha , did see some deer though
Old 06-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #1136
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
I did have fun on the island! It will always be the place where I saw my first bear!
Old 06-26-2013, 09:38 AM   #1137
NomadGal OP
Esther

I could have sworn someone asked me about caves, can't see the post on my cell. So nope, did not see any caves on my way to Tahsis. As it was drizzling and I saw blue skies at the end of the road, I have to confess that I only had getting there in mind
Old 06-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #1138
Scootard
Twist-n-Go

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
I have discovered that forgiving yourself is one of the hardest things in life, at least for me
I had to purchase a new phone last week because mine wouldn't work in Canada.
The gal in the store activated it for me, and gave me the receipt and showed me how to go online and how to add minutes etc on the cell.
She also told me not to lose the receipt, which I thought she said cause it had my new phone number on it.
I did lose the receipt and figured I know my new number.
Turns out that the reason my new phone didn't work, couldn't receive calls, was that she never did upload the $50 plan, and the 10 digit code was on my receipt.
Luckily there's an easy fix for this. Even if you can't remember the name of the store you purchased the phone at, look on Google Maps to nail down the location, then Skype them to explain. Have your make/model/serial number written down, and they can e-mail you a copy of the receipt with the activation number. It will all be alright in the end, if it is not alright...it is not the end. If the phone is in any way intelligent, load Skype for calling back to the US or elsewhere, and use free wifi to call folk.
Otherwise your $50 prepay will last about 2-3 days with Canadian per minute, LD and Roaming rates. So sorry, I kid you not, there are many examples of horror stories about telecom costs in Canada for cell usage.

You are entering our stomping grounds, and I am sorry we are in the SouthWest and unable to offer you our hospitality. The drive north when you get off the ferry at Horseshoe Bay tomorrow is one of the great bike rides in Western Canada as you will go from temperate rain forest to SubAlpine within the space of 2hr, and pass through Squamish, Whistler/ Blackcomb, Pemberton and thence up the Duffey Lake Road to get to the Interior of the province. You will love it!
Old 06-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #1139
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 634
Awesome!

Ester,

Never in my wildest dreams did I think this RR would amount to this awesome much! It's totally amazing and it goes on and on with more and more unexpected accomplishments. A totally inspiring feat especially for a woman. It's a blast to read, that's for sure! Great, great! (I don't know how you can deal with that much rain though.)

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride

Oldone screwed with this post 08-30-2013 at 04:29 AM
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #1140
macclad
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Great ride so far!

It's June 28th and I've gotten to where yo go to Victoria. I was there May 17-19 or thereabouts for the Highland Games and such. Always lots of riders coming over on the Blackball - about my 10th time now, but not on my bike. I'm highly inspired by your RR and you've done a fantastic job. Great photos and like others have said yours gets better and better, not that it was bad at all! I'm almost caught up but I've been reading for three or 4 straight days.
I hope all is well with you!
macclad is offline   Reply With Quote