Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #1156
Scootard
Twist-n-Go

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post

Someone please tell me what this is!!
That is a pelton wheel. The wheel sits in a concrete encasement and the water turns the wheel which is connected by a shaft to a turbine (generator).

In British Columbia almost all of our electric power comes from Hydro-Electric generation. You will see numerous sites as you head north due to our topography and ample water. The province is now starting to benefit from micro-hydro (small commercially developed hydro sites).

If you generate power surplus to your needs by solar wind or water, the province is legally obligated to buy it from you at prevailing market rates.

Scooterchick and I will follow your ride uphill with interest

You only have about 1000mi. more to ride before you get out of BC
Old 06-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #1157
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

Oddometer: 843
I'm on Smithers now, trying to meet up with Holckster but his GPS says he's still way up on the Steward-Cassiar Hwy.

After a great night's sleep with an amazing lucid dream, I had a wonderful shower and said bye to Laura and hit the road.
I found a Laundry around the corner and spent a couple of hours relaxing and knitting while my clothes got clean.
I left Williams Lake at 1 and headed West. The day was sunny and actually hot!!

My 2nd sign, one of a moose, still haven't seen a single one

When I got to close to Vanderhoof I stopped at a little store and asked the locals about any nearby out in the woods camping. I was told about Colby lake and it was right around the corner.
I hit the dirt road and after 10 minutes saw my 2nd bear!! I stopped to take a better picture when he looked at me and bolted. Darn, didn't get a picture!
The road was mostly ok but some gnarly deep gravel stretches with even more fist-sized rocks. I reached my destination shortly only to find out that it was packed! Canada Day!

I made a spot for myself at the end of the dirt road . Boy! Mosquitoville!!

Of course I noticed an interesting flower

My fellow neighbor was a loud feller! He tried chopping a block of wood, when that didn't work he grabbed the chainsaw. He had that thing on and off for a long time!!!
Finally he managed to cut everything down and start a fire.
Later after I crawled into my sleeping bag, at almost 11 he started the engine of his van and ran it for half an hour. On top of that he played the music loudly. Well either him or his 10 year old son.
Then at 3 am a truck with boat pulled up and I guess they decided that the boat ramp was too steep and they turned around all right in front of my tent. Aaahhh! tonight a quiet site somewhere.

Look what I found in my boot this morning!

I packed up early and left.
I had another surprise once I hit the Hwy again

It was cloudy but fairly warm so I set off to Smithers and Hazelton

flowers in Houston BC

Wow!! Mountains!!

Well, a short ride report, it just poured!! hopefully sunny from now on. :)
Some guys are arguing here in McD accusing some dude of stealing. A strange local guy keeps bugging me, so I think I am moseying out of here!

NomadGal screwed with this post 07-01-2013 at 01:22 PM
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #1158
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,494
Pelton Wheel...

Here's a more 'typical' view of a Pelton wheel. If you go to old mines, you'll probably see Pelton wheels like this.

Pelton nameplate...

Old 07-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #1159
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

I am in Hyder Alaska!! yay!!

After leaving McD yesterday I headed toward New Hazelton and Kitswanga.

I met Ernie and his wife at the Kitswanga gas station. He was so in awe of my trip that he paid my gas for me. How sweet! His wife and him celebrated their 50th anniversary on the road, heading to Alaska as well.

Table top in the little restaurant at the gas station. All the tables had native art on them, gorgeous!

After I said by to Ernie I crossed the bridge and was on the Cassiar Hwy, finally!!
The clouds above my head were getting darker and darker, and I heard thunder behind me. No way was I pitching up my tent in the rain again, and even though it was getting late I decided to keep riding. I also knew that Holckster was somewhere on this road and that I would bump into him at one point or another.

blue skies ahead

About an hour later 2 guys passed me and in my rear view mirror I saw them stop and turn around. Haha, yep it was Doug (Holckster and his friend Dave?????) They were trying to make it to either Terrace or Smithers and take a motel there.
I was glad to have run into him cause now I could find a campsite knowing we'd missed each other.

The first dirt road I turned on was a messy logging road. No way!
I got back to the Hwy and further on I saw a provincial park sign with three lakes on it.
I turned right and followed te dirt road. It was gravel and really nice..... for a while
After 9 kilometers it started getting mushy, oy! I so do not like mud!! It was all right but the last few hundred yards I felt I was almost dropping her I was fishtailing that bad in the mud. But Boy, was this campsite ever worth it!!

There were two families there with their kids, and they were very welcoming. I pitched up my tent and took up their offer to go canoeing on the lake.

I jumped into the canoe and paddled out

An Osprey family lived up there

I cooked some dinner and hung around the camp fire with the other campers. They were all wonderful people, especially Kelsey. She showed me some really good campsites on the map.

It was getting later and the mountains turned pink.

I went to bed late because I couldn't put down my book, so I only had 3 hours of sleep when I woke in the morning.
I said goodbye to Kelsey and her family cause they packed up early and left. I was done around 9:30 regretfully packing a wet tent cause it had rained again.

The rest of this RR later. The internet here i just too slow. half an hour for 10 pictures to upload and I have way too many of my ride to Hyder and the Glacier.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #1160
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 2,709
Quick!Turn back now!Winter will be there in August.

Good update.Don't have to much fun up there,you might not make it back.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #1161
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Quick!Turn back now!Winter will be there in August.

Good update.Don't have to much fun up there,you might not make it back.
I agree, Alaska is AMAZING (in the summer, but the loooong, daaaaark winters will drive most ADVers back south. Snowmobiles are not near as much fun )

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #1162
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 739
Great to cross paths with you again Ester.
Thanks for staying on the road till we passed by.
Great pics of that nights campsite and a canoe to use to boot.
Take care

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #1163
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
Here's a more 'typical' view of a Pelton wheel. If you go to old mines, you'll probably see Pelton wheels like this.
Wow! Thanks Bruce huge things, really impressive!
Old 07-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #1164
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

Woah!! Do I ever have an adventure to tell about!

Anyway let me start from where I left off. I packed my wet stuff and headed to Hyder. It was rainy so I haven't gotten that many pics, still even in the rainy weather the sights were awesome!

Once I crossed the non-existing border into Alaska I looked around for a campsite, but Hyder doesn't have one because of the bears. I rode by a motel and the owner walked up to me and offered me a little room for $40. My dad had told me a while ago that if I wished to have a motel one day I could use his credit card, and seeing as $40 is about 32 Euro I decided to use it. I was soaking wet and so was my tent. A dry place to hang and dry my stuff was just what I needed.
I hauled all my stuff up the stairs and hung some of it out to dry over the balcony.

Once Spirit was emptied out I went to see the Salmon glacier.
On the way there I checked out "the Bus" Doug had suggested it for great food. I am guessing he forgot I was a vegetarian, cause there was nothing but fish on the menu.
I did meet a couple there, Rachel and AJ. We talked shortly about my trip and said we'd meet on the road to the glacier.
The dirt road was gravel and other than some deeper patches is was really easy to ride. It was an amazing ride, I loved every minute of it!!

When I got the top it had just cleared the guy up there told me.

I decided to go to the end of the dirt road to see if I could get near the glacier, but other than some superb views I saw that the only way to the glacier was to hike for quite a ways. I decided not to. Too lazy

I saw some huge bear turds on the road too, did not take a picture

Asked a guy in a truck to take a pic of me on the way down

I stopped at a bear viewing place, but as it was not yet salmon time they weren't there.

Once I got back to the motel I dried out some more of my stuff, it had gotten really hot and sunny, and took a nice hot shower (down the hallway)

My teensy closet room, LOL!

I was hungry and decided to splurge on some restaurant food for once.
When I got there the guys in the truck who took a picture of me where there as well.
They beckoned me over and we sat together and ate dinner.
They both worked for the hydro electric company and were both from Quebec. I should have written down their names, but forgot. Dinner was great but pricey, but I felt fine spending money that day

As I got back to the motel I saw a 800 GS parked out front. I knocked on the door to say hi, the guy's name was Ken, and he was on his way to Alaska as well. We talked about the GS for a while, I was really admiring it. The 650 didn't really appeal to me, but the 800 seemed great.

I went back to the motel room and wrote my RR that I posted earlier.

The motel bed turned out not sleep-able! The springs were poking though the mattress and hurt so bad I ended up putting my pad on top of the bed and sleeping in my sleeping bag. I guess I got the cheapest little room, hence the bad mattress.

The next morning I packed up Spirit and was excited to go North.

Holy cow!! A logging truck took the curve too sharp

AWWWW!! I saw two bear cubs running and chasing each other across the road. I wasn't fast enough to take a pic of both

I rode as far as Kinaskan forest campsite. Originally I had wanted to go to one that Kelsey suggested to me, name Moruchuea, I honestly did not feel like a dirt road with surprises that day.
The campsite was great, and I made a cosey place under the trees and relaxed

I spend a wonderful night (better than the motel room unfortunately) and got ready again the next morning to head further north.

Still spring time in a way

nearing Good Hope lake

Boya Lake park. The water was so blue!!!

Kelsey had also told me about French creek, a free campsite north of Boya.

I decided to go down this dirt road because I thought maybe the sign was missing, and I saw some locals go down that way. Hmmmm, I don't think this goes to French Creek

I ended up above the river, but there was no campsite even though a lot of people were camped there.

I decided to head back cause it looked like it might rain, and there was no way I would be able to get out if the dirt turned muddy. I had asked a guy if he could help me on the sandy hill, and he said he'd follow and maybe help me push it up the hill.
So we took off, and I gunned it up the sandy hill and made it. I waited for him a little while to thank him, but he never showed up. I guess once he saw I was no longer there he turned around.

I found French creek forest campground about 20 kilometers further up the road.

Mosquitoville!!!!

I took it easy the remainder of the day, it had been a short one for me, but I actually wanted to lounge and rest for a while.
I went to bed early only to be woken up at around midnight by a truck or camper and the folks in it were talking quite loudly and made a lot of noise. Then their dog was snooping around my tent too.
After a while it got quiet and I fl asleep again.

The next morning it turns out that my new neighbors were none other than Rachael and AJ.
We got to talking and it turned out that their hitch had broken while riding and towing their trailer. They ended up getting it fixed in Watson Lake and found this campsite after picking up the trailer which they had left at Boya Lake.
They were on a one year trip as well, and heading to Alaska too. Then they told me that there might be work picking Morel mushrooms and they were going to check it out.
I joined them and as it turned out, we would have to go down that awful road that I had gone on the day before, hitch a ride with a boat ($20) to get to the island across and there we could pick Morels. We'd get paid about $100 a basket.
So we all decided to do it, and they gave me a ride in. I had to leave Spirit and my tent sitting there. I have to confess I was a bit apprehensive about that part, but no way in hell was I going to ride that road again!

We got to the river and after waiting for about an hour a boat showed up and we got a ride to the island along with three others and all their food and gear.

When we got there we found a spot to pitch our tents, I was able to borrow a small one from Rachel who happened to carry an extra one in the camper, together with a small inflatable pad.
After we were done we decided to see how easy it was to find Morels and headed out.
Well! We didn't really find the right spots I guess, cause after about 4 hours we didn't even have a full basket each!
Still I got paid $27 for the little amount I found

A bunch of young locals guys found all these!!

We went to bed early cause we were tired and decided to get up early and work a long day the next day.
Well the early part didn't quite work, but we did leave by 9, ready to kick some Morel ass!

me in gear

The trail going up to the hill side

This time we hiked a heck of a lot longer and climbed up the hill side. It was really steep and in some parts really slippery because of the rocks. I also felt my age cause boy did I ever have a hard time climbing for more than a few minutes at a time. At least Rachel had a hard time too, so I didn't feel too bad.
Once we were up higher the view was amazing though!!

Yep that is how steep we had to climb up!!

Once we got up to where the forest fire had been we saw nothing but mushrooms everywhere!! Awesome!!

My basket after only an hour

We worked for about 5 hours and I filled up two full baskets and decided not to do a third as there was no way I would be able to carry three down the hill.
We got back at 8 and this time I had earned $230!! Yippeeeeeeeeeee!!!! I was now able to go on the ferry to Haines, which I had really wanted to do, but couldn't because I was getting low on funds.

We found out that we would be able to get a lift back soon, so we broke down camp and headed to the river.
The timing was perfect! The sunset was amazing and it made the trip back magical! (other than the fact that the outboard engine kept dying and Dwayne and Buck had to shut it off and restart it every 5 minutes or so)

Dwayne and Buck

We got back to camp at around midnight, and Spirit and my tent were still there. What a relief!!
I crawled in bed, literally!! and conked out before my head hit the pillow.

This morning I said bye to Rachel and AJ who were heading to Whitehorse to pick up their friend Bill who was waiting there for them.
I left camp really late cause I was so tired and sluggish, but wanted to get out of that mosquito hell hole!!
So now I am in Watson Lake, ready to make a detour to Liard hot springs for some nice R&R and some serious soaking!!
Old 07-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #1165
beemerron
machine washable

Oddometer: 2,318
wow

I am not snoring. It's my jake brake trying to slow down a run-a-way dream.

Not necessarily stoned, but beautiful.... - Jimi Hendrix
beemerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:11 AM   #1166
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,474
Thumb Aaaah the Adventures you discover!^)-

EXCELLENT times your having Sister!!! The Hyder pics brought back memories from when I met Alex back in 2010 and we headed to Alaska at the very end of July! Both our first times riding with anyone else.

AWESOME you finding the Morel gig!!! Makes me wonder what you could have picked in a couple more days some serious rode cash?
Love how magical things juust happen soo spontaneously when your living in the moment!
Keep on keeping on, WoooHooo!!!
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:44 AM   #1167
wlas
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Wow the motel in Hyder looks just the same when i spend week there on a job a few years back. the beds don't look any better. nice place other than That .

wlas screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 08:06 AM
wlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:08 AM   #1168
ninjadance
PAW

Oddometer: 14
the blue of the salmon glacier makes for a really startling photo!
ninjadance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #1169
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 453
Good to meet you

Good to meet you in Watson Lake and along the Alcan hwy during the day.

Johann and I wish you luck. Hope to meet again along the way.

Our ride report can be found here. http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...2#post21819432

Ride safe...

Nope, I don't want to shake your hand

BTW: You are one tough cookie. If we have any mechanical problems, I sure hope you are nearby to help.

Take care,
GrizzLee & Yukon Johann
RR: Bella Coola 2013 / Bella Coola Canada 2012
RR: Our Life Behind Bars
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:56 PM   #1170
ninjadance
PAW

Oddometer: 14
regular maintenance - or Spirits hinny has a booboo? im going to send you a box of nitrile gloves! < speaking of which is there a 'care pkg' address future destination?
ninjadance is offline   Reply With Quote