Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #106
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELSTAFF View Post
Been following along for a while and need to chime in here, MY GOD GIRL!!!, you've taken you bike apart and put it back together again, ( according to JettenJim's report) ridden all over hell & half of Jordan in these united states and your just now hav'n fun in the sand?
Well, that's because I was riding the CRF450R! It is a much lighter bike and it has a auto clutch so I can never stall it. It is also narrower in the handlebars so I was able to make easier and tighter turns than I can on my KLR. Also falling on a CRF is no big deal, it's almost fun. Falling with Spirit is different, and I am also not able to fix her if I would break anything. I'm a tad short on cash right now. I think if I were independently wealthy I wouldn't mind so much dropping her. The biggest thing however is that I can't really pick her up if I dropped her in sand in the middle of nowhere.I would be pretty screwed and would have to walk for miles to find someone to help me. You guys never have that physical problem of not being able to do so; it gives you so much more freedom.
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #107
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,047
Very entertaining, thanks...
gunnerbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #108
DWR302
Justan Nudderboomer

Oddometer: 130
There is a good method picking up any dropped bike. Small folks can get a Harley or a Goldwing back up. Check youtube or maybe your hosts already know about it.
DWR302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #109
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR302 View Post
There is a good method picking up any dropped bike. Small folks can get a Harley or a Goldwing back up. Check youtube or maybe your hosts already know about it.
I saw several tutorials on it, but none of the methods seem to work for me :( My legs are too spindly, LOL!
Old 09-10-2012, 04:13 AM   #110
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
hey glad to see your doing well after your accident if you use white lithium grease on your chain you will no longer have problems with grease getting thrown all over. its what we use down here in Hutchinson ks :)
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:06 AM   #111
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper770 View Post
hey glad to see your doing well after your accident if you use white lithium grease on your chain you will no longer have problems with grease getting thrown all over. its what we use down here in Hutchinson ks :)
Hey Viper! How are you doing? Glad to hear from you. Sorry, I totally forgot to PM you back regarding traveling tips, I guess I kind of felt that I hadn't really that much good advice to give. I'm just stumbling along, still trying to figure out what works. I did find out about http://freecampsites.net and Corps of engineers, so that is cool!
Old 09-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #112
NomadGal OP
Esther

Well! The tent space thing is not as easy as it sounds. Struck out twice for a place to crash in Ohio, just tried another place. Soooo, I figure Maybe I'll do it this way. Anyone in Ohio with a big yard to pitch my tent for a night?
There are quite a few on the tent space list, but I never know exactly when I get to where I am going. Might be a few hours from now, or a few days. I think the tent space is great for planners, not so much for the spur of the moment! LOL
Give me a holler if you've got a spot.
I am in Otsego near Kalamazoo in Michigan, heading to Ohio tomorrow.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:56 AM   #113
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
He He He
its ok im sure you have tons of people asking you questions just like when you where at sonic I fig you would get around to it one of these days any ways I have learned alot by reading your log your doing a wonderful job i really should change my name to rowdy instead of viper on here i still have no idea why jack Robinson calls me rowdy lol
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #114
NomadGal OP
Esther

Well,where did I leave off?
Oh yeah! Sand riding, hehe. We got home and I was pretty petered out and sore. On top of that I wrenched my thumb pretty good, and had a tough time pulling the clutch lever until I realized I didn't need my thumb to do that.
My rib was slightly sore again, but not much.
Took a nice soak in the hut tub that evening with Fred, and we talked about a bunch of stuff. The stayed up way too late to watch the Hungergames.
The next day I was in for a treat! I got to ride his wife Kathy's Kawasaki Vulcan? 500.

I did miss my Spirit, because I couldn't take pictures while riding now, so I don't have too many of out trip to both of the peninsulas.

Fred and I

His daughter Megan and I

We went to have some lucy in a small town called Leland but before we did walked around the place a little like regular tourists LOL. Saw this cool amphibian car.

We had lunch at the restaurant with the white chairs.

Got home around 7 and started packing my bike for the next day. I think I tired out my host seeing as he ended up taking a little nap. Haha Fred, teasing you!

I said goodbye to Fred and his kids the next morning. I shall miss them, they are wonderful people!
Fred gave me some gas money too and even though I really appreciated and needed it, I felt I should be paying him for letting me stay there. I shall make it up to him once I have a place of my own. Then he can take a ride and visit me.

I rode to sleeping bear sand dunes seeing as we never made it there the day before.

Also rode the Pierce Stocking loop, awesome views! Glad I had a National Parks pass.

There was a group of 5 elderly ladies there debating on how they would have a picture with all of them on it.
So I offered to take a picture for them. I was them promptly handed 5 cameras! LOL. They then made one of me. We talked for a while and they couldn't believe I was doing this adventure on my own. Some more snapshots were taken of me while we talked. Haha, I was the talk of the day I guess

I rode along HWYM22 and down the coast. The camping grounds were just outrageously expensive, so I decided to just make it to Otsego where free campsites.net listed a free site.

The sun was setting as I got closer to Otsego

Found the little campsite inside the town, it was not free, but there was no payment box. Instead you had to go to the police station to pay. Well, as tired as I was, no way! So this will be my first time spending a night at a pay site without paying. Haha, my live is making a rebel out of me yet.

Got up early, it was COLD!!!! Could see my breath, and the tent was wet from condensation.
Luckily I was camped in a wide open spot, so the sun warmed me up and fired off the tent as well.
Left at 10 without having seen a single cop, hehe!

I rode East toward Toledo, and took a picture of this house in Albion if I remember correctly.

I actually turned around to take it. It's absolutely lovely, gorgeous design.

Saw another red barn

I am in Adrian now, taking the 52 south into Ohio.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #115
canwait2b
n00b

Oddometer: 2
i;ve read all eight pages of your adventure so far,Great Reading.I think you are very brave and are having alot of fun.Keep on truckin.
canwait2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #116
alcanrider
alcanrider

Oddometer: 113
Hey Esther

Glad to hear you are still doing well. It was a pretty day here, just a little to hot still. Did a lot of riding in sand at the Eglin Reservation. If you come to my neck of the woods I plan on showing you some nice areas to ride. Gotta stay out of that sand though, it is killer hard to ride in. October is awesome weather down here, not too hot. Take care, and nice pics again.
alcanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:09 AM   #117
Paddygfw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Paddygfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:33 AM   #118
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by canwait2b View Post
i;ve read all eight pages of your adventure so far,Great Reading.I think you are very brave and are having alot of fun.Keep on truckin.
Thank you! not so sure about the brave part, probably more naive!
Old 09-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #119
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,392
How's the camera mount working?

Happy to see that you are doing well!

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #120
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
How's the camera mount working?

Happy to see that you are doing well!
It's just awesome as you can see from the pics!!
Thank you so much for making it for me.