Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #1201
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLee View Post
GrizzLee and Yukon Johann here.

We love the Haines and Klondike hwy. Hope to ride them on our way back down. In fact, Johann says the Haines hwy is his favorite drive of all time.

We rode to the top of the world at Prudhoe bay. Had a scare when we got back to Fairbanks. My Gretchen (R1200 GSA) wouldn't start. http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=898115&page=4 All is better for now... She has way too many electronic gizmos for me to even consider working on her in the field when things go bad.

We rain into Mike (Mtncrawler) on the south side of Atigun pass.

Take care, We think about you often. Maybe we see you on the Haines hwy
It was great meeting you guys too!! Who knows, we live in a small works, we might meet again!
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #1202
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightenarrow View Post
Very good meeting you and I look forward to reading your ride report fully when I get mine done and get home :) I wish we had more time to chat and that I could have helped you with your maintenance!

Was great meeting you too! Thanks for offering to help, but it was fine, I got everything taken care of
Old 07-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #1203
NomadGal OP
Esther

Thanks everyone for the ideas on the bad gas. I think I found the problem though.............
Everything is fine up in the hills and mountains, but as soon as I get to sea-level she starts sputtering. Hahahaha, guess she likes to be high. Ao it's a jet size problem when I'm at sea level. So, oh well, seeing as I agree with Spirit and love being up higher, i'll leave her as is.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:24 AM   #1204
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
just because you finish your ride for a spell doesn't mean your rr is over. tell us about life in Alaska..cutting wood, staying warm, total darkness all the time :) The navy sent me to alaska for 30 days many years ago--either jan or feb. they gave me 3 days survival training in Fairbanks before sending me to Ft Greely. your experiences so far in alaska are way better than mine. i remember darkness...and 20 below.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #1205
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
Thanks everyone for the ideas on the bad gas. I think I found the problem though.............
Everything is fine up in the hills and mountains, but as soon as I get to sea-level she starts sputtering. Hahahaha, guess she likes to be high. Ao it's a jet size problem when I'm at sea level. So, oh well, seeing as I agree with Spirit and love being up higher, i'll leave her as is.
To meet emission requirements Kawi setup the carb excessively lean at part throttle. This will really be noticeable at sea level. Some people go up a jet size or do the "22cent mod" to cure the issue. Some have installed a KLX needle kit available from Eagle Mike and have found some better fuel milage as well as better performance, depending on driving style.
Best Regards....justjeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #1206
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
To meet emission requirements Kawi setup the carb excessively lean at part throttle. This will really be noticeable at sea level. Some people go up a jet size or do the "22cent mod" to cure the issue. Some have installed a KLX needle kit available from Eagle Mike and have found some better fuel milage as well as better performance, depending on driving style.
Best Regards....justjeff
Did the 22 ct mod. Still stuttering, and it's too hard to change jets on the KLR. got to remove clutch cable first to be able to rotate the carb. It's all right, I am not at sealevel a lot it seems
Old 07-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #1207
NomadGal OP
Esther

HOLY COW !!!!!

Checked my Paypal account...........
Thank you sooooo much Garfey and Ron R!!! Your gifts blew me away!
It will make me breathe easier until I find a place I can call my own for the winter.
Also I'm already thinking of my trip in spring. Maybe across Canada to Newfoundland? Don't know yet.
Again, thank you so much! I am utterly speechless. Good thing I can still write!!
Old 07-27-2013, 12:48 AM   #1208
NomadGal OP
Esther

I'm in Anchorage now staying with Paul (BeamerTwin) and Carol.
I had a nice surprise yesterday when I left my campsite at the lake, but more of that soon.

The night before leaving Valdez I decided to pack up as much as I could, as it was supposed to rain the next day.
I put up my tarp over the tent so I wouldn't have to pack it wet.

Woke up once and saw the moon over the mountain again

It rained a lot later that night, and when I woke in the morning I was in twilight zone again. My camp was utterly shrouded in mist. I made good time packing up and was out of there by nine or so.
Once I hit the main road I realized that I could not see anything there either! The going was slow because I didn't want to end up rear-ending someone in front of me.

At one point a huge RV just popped out of the mist, I had not seen or heard it coming, and then it was there! Very freaky!
Luckily it cleared up as soon as I got lower in altitude, the mountain tops were peaking out of the clouds.

Nelchina Glacier from a distance

I rode back to Glenallen and then West toward Anchorage. The road there was gorgeous as well especially Nelchina Glacier that I wished I had stopped for. The lookout was on the other side of the road, and I saw it too late to slow down and stop.

At one point there was some road work where I saw another biker in front of me on a GS 640 stopped behind cars. I rode up to say hi cause it looked like it was another woman. Sure enough! As we were waiting I asked her if she was riding on her own as well. She was. Traffic started moving and I rode behind her for a while, but then she started riding faster, and I didn't feel like going fast.
As I neared Palmer I saw her ahead of me at a traffic light going into a gas station. I decided to go there too and say hi.
We sat there for a while talking about riding and I asked her where she was heading. Turns out she had plans to go over Hatcher pass. I asked her if she wanted company and she said sure. So here the both of us went to Hatcher pass. Awesome!!

We set up camp at some point and boy were we lucky! not two minutes after the tents were up it started pouring and it didn't let up for at least an hour!
I ended up warming up our dinner in the vestibule of my tent, as she had a teensy little tent without a vestibule ( or not much of one).
She let me use her camp stove as I was out of stern. Wow! Im going to switch to one of those stoves for my next trip. It was so fast!!! and pretty teensy too.

It cleared up for a few minutes, enough time to take a photo and get set to go to bed.
It was Emily's first time at a non campground ! I was hoping no bears would show up

The sun was shining in the morning, and I made us both some pancakes.
We were out of there by nine, as it look that it might rain again.

Had to take a pic of those Mercedes Monster trucks

In Wasilla we went to the Itidarod head quarters. It was really fascinating and I was stoked to see the statue of Balto. The movie used to be my daughters favorite so of course I had to take a photo of it.

Baby husky, Awwwwww!!!

Afterward we hung at Starbucks for a while where Emily was trying to find out if she could get a standby ticket from Wittier to Haines so she could take the ferry home.
The ride to Anchorage was fast! Freeway again. Boy, that is so weird after having been on only highways, back roads and dirt roads for so long.
We found Paul's house easily and were invited with open arms, and an open garage door!
We unpacked and were shown our room. Yay, a bunk bed, awesome! I claimed the top! Haha, haven't slept in a bunk bed since Steven's house in South Carolina!

As I went toward the stairs I saw a pair of Sorell boots sitting there. I told Carol wow, I have been wanting a pair of those for years, they are just awesome.
Then she asked what size I was. I said a 7 and she said well those are eights, but if they fit you you can have them, I was going to give them away or drop them at a thrift shop!! What??? I tried them on with my nice thick wool socks and they fit. OMG!!! I could have jumped for an hour. They are just amazing boots. What a gift!
I'll post a photo of them later.
We dried out wet stuff and had an amazing dinner. I checked my battery, and only one cell was slightly lower then the rest. I put it on the charger.
Right now I'm not sure what Emily will be doing, heading to homer and Kenai, and then see if she can get on the waiting list, or heading to do the Denali Hwy.
We'll see. I would like to check out the Kenai peninsula.

NomadGal screwed with this post 07-27-2013 at 01:15 AM
Old 07-27-2013, 05:45 AM   #1209
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Awesome!

Ester,

I just can't get over the way that you just keep going and going no matter what! How in the world do you dare ride on some of those dirt roads out there by yourself? You don't even have dirt tires on that thing! AND, all loaded down like that too? Totally totally awesome! Thanks for the adventure!
Good luck and stay safe.....

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Nationa lMonument Ride
Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride

Oldone screwed with this post 07-27-2013 at 05:53 AM
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #1210
rodr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post

Nelchina Glacier from a distance
Awesome. Added to my wallpaper collection.

and...

How come I can't pick up chicks on the road like that?
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #1211
Floyd111
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
this is something you need!

Hey Sista,
Have a look at this link, and tell me the part nr that fits your bike
http://www.scottsperformance.com/Sta...?Make=Kawasaki
There are not just different years, but also alu and steel frames, and different handlebar versions
If you're sure which number, I can have a set sent to you, once I know where you'll be able to receive it.
These are not a luxury, but somewhat of a must-have. So much easier on the arms, and it makes the bike more stable when on rougher ground, and thus safer
If you want one, consider it an overdue birthday gift!

Greetings from BigBikeTaiwan!
Floyd111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #1212
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd111 View Post
Hey Sista,
Have a look at this link, and tell me the part nr that fits your bike
http://www.scottsperformance.com/Sta...?Make=Kawasaki
There are not just different years, but also alu and steel frames, and different handlebar versions
If you're sure which number, I can have a set sent to you, once I know where you'll be able to receive it.
These are not a luxury, but somewhat of a must-have. So much easier on the arms, and it makes the bike more stable when on rougher ground, and thus safer
If you want one, consider it an overdue birthday gift!

Greetings from BigBikeTaiwan!
Haha, Hey Stan, no need, I already have anti-vibrational ROX risers on my handlebars.
Thanks though, very sweet of you to offer me some.
I'll get a hold of you about the Ohlins shock as soon as I have found a place to live.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #1213
NomadGal OP
Esther

I'm in Seward now, while my tent is still pitched at the granite creek camp ground about 60 miles from here.
Unfortunately I totally forgot to take a pic of my new boots, I left them with Paul, along with a bunch of my stuff that I'm not planning on using the next few weeks, i.e. my painting stuff
I spend a wonderful night at Paul and Carol's home sleeping on the top bunk while Emily was on the bottom one.

Em was packed and ready to go real early and we said goodbye. She was heading to the Denali Hwy and afterward back home to Vancouver. I wish her a safe journey and hope that maybe we'll get to ride together again in the future.

I went outside and took some photos of the gorgeous pansies in the yard

Not a pansy but absolutely magnificent!!

Me of course, not being a morning person, didn't get out of the door till a little after 10. I said bye to Paul and Carol, knowing that I'll see them again some time.
I spent way too lang in Anchorage at Wal-Mart getting supplies, and also sports authority where I treated myself to a present (thanks again Garfey) namely one of the little fold-out burners that Emily had, and a gas canister. I love how fast it burns, and seeing as I no longer had my painting supplies, I had room for it.

Finally I was on my way toward the Kenai peninsula.

On a whim I decided to go to Whittier while I was in the neighborhood.

Little iceberg

Hmmm,, turns out I had to pay a $12 fee to go through the tunnel. I decided to live a little and went for it. Hahaha, only after I paid for it did he tell me that I had to ride between two rail road tracks. Yikes!!! Yeah, I was a tad nervous about it. Riding in a dark long wet tunnel, between tracks, what's not to love about that??

See that little "house"??? That's the entrance of the tunnel

Yep, wet!!

It turned out not to be a big deal at all!! I was even riding too fast according to the speed monitor in the tunnel.

Whittier is really tiny, and I must say that I didn't care for it much. It was beautify. but very touristy and no back country camping that I could find. At least not with Spirit nearby.

Looks like board paddling is in here too

I went back through the tunnel at 5, met a couple of guys from Fairbanks while waiting. Dave gave me his card, so I could say hi when I was there.
Once I hit the main Seward Hwy again I continues south, and even though it wasn't all that late, I was tired and started looking for dirt roads. Some went to homes so I guessed the area was more populated than I thought. I finally decided to just take a forest service camp site, and pulled into the Granite creek camp ground.
Found a pretty cool spot and pitched my tent while being eaten by mosquitos!! ahhhh, I was glad I had the mosquito jacket, but they still got me here and there. Once I closed the tent flap it turned out to be pretty mosquito free in the vestibule, so I cooked dinner on my new stove, Yay!!!! so fast! and watched Cloud Atlas. What an interesting movie, got to watch it again so I can figure out who was who in what live again. The make up and face alterations are done brilliantly!

Slept great and woke up to a foggy day, but the fog did not linger long at all, and around noon I decided to take a day trip to Seward and maybe Hope.

Well, for photos from Seward you'll have to wait seeing as the internet is not too fast here

My next RR will be tomorrow from Homer. At least I take it that there is Internet there.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:13 AM   #1214
ninjadance
PAW

Oddometer: 22
I mentioned to a member of our club that I was following your story, now thru Alaska, and she said 'is her name Emily....' now im wondering ....
ninjadance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:08 AM   #1215
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
I must see a picture of this new stove-PLEASE :)