Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 01:00 AM   #1231
AKXR4
XR rider

Oddometer: 9
I was just reading about leaking fork seals recently, and they are often caused by dirt getting in between the seal and the tube. Motion pro and others make a little tool to clean out between there, but some folks just use a business card. You might look into that. Heres a thread with some info.http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/869...eal-quick-fix/ I highly recommend taking the trip across the Denali hwy. Its a decent gravel road, just take your time and enjoy the country. Blueberries should be plentiful, and tons of free camping at the gravel pits and such. It is one of my favorite areas of Alaska. Maybe we can go have coffee when you're in Fairbanks. I thought it was funny how you rolled into Granite campground around midnight, remembering the dude building a fire right outside your tent at Laird hotsprings real late at night. Anyhow, the long summer days in Alaska are awesome, and sometimes we forget to sleep. Oh, well, we can catch up in the winter.....good night.

AKXR4 screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 01:10 AM
AKXR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:27 AM   #1232
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
I was out of there by 11 and back into Anchorage around noon.
On a whim I decided to go and see AKDuc at REI, but he was on vacation it seemed.
I snooped around and looked at some of the Kayaks, Yikes those things are expensive!!!
See, I had this crazy notion of shipping Spirit to Vancouver, and then Kayaking from Valdez to Vancouver in the spring.
Well shucks. Sorry we missed you. Thanks for trying tho. Maybe coulda arranged something if I'd known you're into paddling. Ocean kayaking was my passion before becoming Ducatisti a number of years ago. Fun! I didn't know you were in the area till some other ADV'ers mentioned it last night while we were socializing down at the Girdwood bench. Someone mentioned that you were a "vege" which piqued my interest. I woulda treated you to a vege meal in the big city of "Los Anchorage."

Were are you thinking of wintering? I may be up in Fairbanks in a week for the Tanana Valley State Fair then maybe down to Valdez for some kayaking. That's were I got my start paddling over 30yrs ago.

Happy Trails and have fun, Mark H.

Last night in Girdwood from L to R: me, Nu's gf, Nuttynu, and AKGary

AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:39 AM   #1233
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
Denali Hwy!!! Gooood idea! Al and I liked it ALOT! There's a nice campground behind the Shell Station in Healy aaand while yer (Back) in Anchorage FREE Camping behind the Harley Dealer You can pitch the tent up on the wooden platform tho it IS in town... Say Hello to Phil and Ariel at Motoquest across the parking lot too...
Yep, a free grassy camping area with a shower room for m/c travelers.

Jim (and other friends of Motoquest), Phil is visiting his gf and leading a tour in Iceland and Ariel is traveling the U.S. as Schuberth NA's newest Special Events Coodinator.

Mark H.

AKDuc screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 06:51 AM
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:53 AM   #1234
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,743
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc View Post
Yep, a free grassy camping area with a shower room for m/c travelers.

Jim (and other friends of Motoquest), Phil is visiting his gf and leading a tour in Iceland and Ariel is traveling the U.S. as Schuberth NA's newest Special Events Coodinator.

Mark H.
Daaang good for Ariel And Phil too... good dude, welp I spose it'd be harder to get her special treatment there now then eh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
How rough is the Denali Hwy?
My fork is starting to really leak now. Got fork oil splashed against the radiator now. Hmmmm, not sure what will happen if fork is empty.
It's a paved road between Anchorage and Fairbanks.. It's Hwy3 the George Parks Highway going north.

For your fork get some old 35mm film or the like cut a hook in the end and then swipe it aroung the fork leg cleaning all the grit out.

In other words, unclip the upper dust seal, move it up the fork out of the way... very dirty here. I use Noxema wipes to clean and de-grease
Then take you film shaped like this

And go around and around the oil seal cleaning out the debri... the hooked end will catch the dirt that is lifting your seal off the steel leg allowing the leakage (seals don't really fail for a looong time, they just get dirty and lift up)

Soo try this first.. back in 2011 in the HAT tour I cleaned my right fork leg every 1,000mi for 3,000mi until I finally got her cleaned up. Also you may be able to contact "GaryAK" (friend of Alex and I) when in Anchorage or go to Motoquest tours next to the House of Harley and pull the fork and seal for a better cleaning, and to top off oil.

Me I'd clean it with film until I got all the dirt out and ride... until it bugged me enough to pull it.
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:02 PM   #1235
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKXR4 View Post
Maybe we can go have coffee when you're in Fairbanks.
I'd love to, I'll let you know when I'm there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKXR4 View Post
I thought it was funny how you rolled into Granite campground around midnight, remembering the dude building a fire right outside your tent at Laird hotsprings real late at night.
Yeah, but I took the furthest away campsite, which was actually the first one you see when you get in there, and the most remote as well. And I did not build a fire even though nobody in the campground would have know :P
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:07 PM   #1236
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
Me I'd clean it with film until I got all the dirt out and ride... until it bugged me enough to pull it.[/B]
I'll clean it today, again, I didn't clean it that thoroughly last time, but it did seem to work well for a while
Old 07-31-2013, 10:14 PM   #1237
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Well shucks. Sorry we missed you.
Oh well!

Quote:
Someone mentioned that you were a "vege" which piqued my interest. I woulda treated you to a vege meal in the big city of "Los Anchorage."
Yep have been since I was a kid. My parent's had their hands full with me
Quote:
Were are you thinking of wintering? I may be up in Fairbanks in a week for the Tanana Valley State Fair then maybe down to Valdez for some kayaking.
I got an offer to rent a cabin in Fairbanks, and I hear it's fairly easy to find a job there.
I know it's really cold there though. so far I like Valdez the best, but I'm not sure how easy it is to find a place to live. I have my heart set on a log cabin for some reason
I hope I like Fairbanks but if not it will be Valdez.
I should be there during the fair. I'll keep in touch
Old 07-31-2013, 10:33 PM   #1238
NomadGal OP
Esther

After my RR last night I walked to the river.

The sand looked like beach sand, very soft and white.

The river itself was also grey, like the one going along the mountain on the road to Valdez.

Got back to the tent and relaxed and read.
I slept pretty good and late! Yay, I needed that.
Then after having some pancakes for breakfast I decided to visit Paul's cabin outside of Talkeetna.

It was a 5 mile dirt road till the gravel pit where he would come pick me up. Seeing as I didn't want my legs to atrophy I thought I'd walk.

Chase trail

Wished I knew which berries I could eat and which not

Never thought I'd see this!

A mower on the tracks, wonder where the real trains are

When I told Paul I'd be walking he decided to meet me earlier with the ATV. So I only got a couple of miles in and the rest bouncing like a rag doll on the back of the ATV. Boy does he ever live in the boonies. The road there is so pitted and rutted that I had to hold on for dear life!! I was major fun though

an old log house on his property

His house is coming along, and I decided to help, so I painted the doors red.
After eating a nice steamed spinach with garlic and topped with Gorgonzola cheese lunch we headed back to town.
It's already 8:30 but still sunny an light.
I'll go clean the fork now.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:44 PM   #1239
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
Hi NomadGal!
Those berries look like pin cherries to me. If they are, they are edible but are extremely sour. What you want are BlueBerries and Saskatoons. Wild Rasberrys are good too. I believe they all should be up there. Maybe check with your friend Paul, he should know.
Regards....justjeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:40 AM   #1240
Floyd111
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
front fork issue

Maybe an open door to some, but have you checked your inner fork tubes for scratches, or small pits? if so, changing seals will be quite a waste of effort, since such pits, rusty or clean, will eat away your new seals right away.
If so, let me know, and I'll go on the lookout for some after market inner tubes + seals
Also, have a look at this lot:
http://www.happy-trail.com/KLR650/FE...All-Years.aspx

I had this piston kit plus springs installed on my 1991 Honda Steed, basically a lost case when it comes to upgrading the front fork. Boy did this make a difference! My sluggish cruiser now handles like a racer (well, almost)
I would suggest this kit, including the Progressive springs, where I need to advise you NOT to use aftermarket seals. Go OEM, but check the inner tube for pits first.
If you get the OEM seals, I can take care of the rest.
Floyd111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:44 AM   #1241
Floyd111
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
pics

..had no idea Alaska was so gorgeous! (in summer)
Great pics!
Floyd111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #1242
NomadGal OP
Esther

I am in North Pole!!
I would have loved to have said I'm at the North Pole, but that would not have been true.
Still, I'm in Santa Clause land.
I got to thinking that it would be so neat to live here, have my address be Esther at 101 Candy Cane Lane, North Pole, AK.
Now wouldn't that be something??

Anyways, Here I am after a couple of absolutely awesome days with just one minor little glitch.
I left Talkeetna rather late, but I didn't care, I figured once I hit the Denali Hwy I can just kick back and relax.
On my way out of town I stopped by this lookout, it was a gorgeous day an I could easily see McKinley.

A waitress at the Pizza place in Talkeetna had told me about the Flying Squirrel bakery and that they sold lots of gluten and egg free baked goods. I just had to stop there and load up on some goodies.

Wow, I was in pastry heaven!! Got some goodies to take with me, and even though most pastries had eggs in them, quite a few didn't. Too bad I was a week too early for the gluten free bread. Once I found a place to live I'll get my hands on a bread machine and make my own.

I happily got back on the road and headed toward Denali Hwy. Boy what a gorgeous ride!!!

Mnt. McKinley

On the Denali Hwy, 110 miles of gravel who would have thought I would voluntarily go on it ???

I saw this awesome little turn off heading toward a ledge with a great view

I stopped at the fork trying to figure out which one to take when my feet only felt air when I put them down The blurry stuff is gas on the lens

Turns out that I had both my front and back tire on a rock. What are the chances of that happening???
I took everything off after tying a knot in my tank vent hose, but to no avail. Having just filled my 7 gallon tank to the brim added more weight than I could handle.
I decided to walk back to the road and sat down amidds the flies and mosquitos.
After about 10 minutes a camper truck showed up and I waved my arms for help.

A couple stopped and I asked if they could help me lift my bike. I heard them talk and it sounded like Dutch.
Sure enough! Hahaha, my fellow country men. They helped me put Spirit back on her wheels and we talked a while about Alaska, my journey and where they were heading. I told them not to miss Valdez.
I wished them a great journey, started Spirit back up, rode to the site and put up my tent.
I loved this spot! It was worth dropping Spirit for

After a couple of hours of no noise whatsoever, other than the birds, I realized how lucky I was that the couple (forgot to ask for their names ) showed up. There is hardly any traffic on that road!!!

How often can you look out of your tent door and see this??

I could not believe it!! Thousands of blueberries everywhere!!! Yummm!! I ate to my hearts content.

I stayed at my campsite for a couple of days, kicking back, knitting (of course) and reading.
An Austrian couple stopped at my site to relax for a bit, and we got to talking. They paid $10,000 to rent the camper and truck for a month!!!! Holy Cow!!! Add to that the cost of gas and campground fees. I'm glad I'm not in their shoes. That must take years to pay off!!
Still they were a nice couple, and asked me repeatedly if there was something I needed.

I have to say that I sleep so much better in quiet surroundings. I slept like a rock both nights, waking up quite late and fully rested. I think the fact that the nights were colder helped.
Last night I packed up everything except the tent sleeping back and clothes. I even made some hot tea and put it in my thermos. This morning when I woke up it was really windy and overcast. I packed up drank some tea and had blueberries for breakfast. It was chilly, 20 degrees difference between days, amazing! I was on the road by 9 and got ready to face 100 miles of gravel. Some parts were pretty smooth, most stretches were washboard and some part really deep large rock/gravel. After about an hour of that I found myself riding 50 mph. Hahaha, if Jim could see me now! I remember following him in Idaho and I was going 20 mph and scared out of my mind. Still, gravel makes me queazy, no matter what.

heading for the blue

The only wildlife I saw on the Denali Hwy were 2 white tailed deer?? They looked like large greyhounds, including pointy ears. Unfortunately they were to fast, and were gone ere I had pulled my camera off the velcro.

I hit pavement two hours later and another 20 miles later I got to the intersection Fairbanks/Valdez.
I had to laugh. These were the two towns I had to chose from. Both at opposite ends.

Paul told me that once the Fireweed stops blooming that there are only 6 weeks left till first frost!

I had thought that now the scenery would get boring, but I was totally wrong (happily so)
There were some fantastic mountain scenes and the more North I went the hotter it got. That doesn't make sense but it is true!

Why is the river steaming??

All of a sudden I saw a running male moose on the side of the road! He was gorgeous!! I was so happy to finally see one that I was laughing and hollering in my helmet. I can't believe people shoot them. They are so amazingly graceful and beautiful. Their coat is all shiny with a reddish/black/ brown glow. I could have hugged him! But yeah, I know I can't do that!

Later on I saw a mother and baby moose. they weren't running so I was able to take a photo.

So now I am in North Pole, I will take a few pics and post them later
Old 08-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #1243
NomadGal OP
Esther

Thank you sooo much Robert Li..... and John Em.... for your donations!! I can't believe I keep getting them. I feel so spoiled and yet taken care of. A heartfelt thank you to you both!
Old 08-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #1244
AKXR4
XR rider

Oddometer: 9
Congrats on making the ride, and great pics. We've been out picking blueberries too. Those deer you saw were actually caribou, and the steaming Delta River was actually just blowing dust. Those glacial streams are full of silt. Welcome to Fairbanks/North Pole.
AKXR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #1245
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 824
Wink Back Lift?

Has nobody showed you the back lift? Ass backward up to the bike. Handlebar pointed in. Grip bar and a similar handhold while squatting and lift with legs? It'll get u out of a situation.