Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #1321
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
yes i think you will have a great experience. You are resourceful and realistic. Snow, minus 30 temperatures with -60 windchills and the northern lights are something everyone should experience.Embrace it.

I also go along with the RevyRider, get your firewood up early and look for a porta potty for the bitter nights. Get the firewood covered and close to the house. Find a local Y or similar place that you can go have a shower at. Some hotels with pool and sauna facilities make them available publicly for a small fee. Make friends with a desk clerk or offer light work in trade for facility use.
Luckily it's not windy here too often, what I"ve heard so far is that it is mostly wind-still, one of the perks of being up here.
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #1322
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,793
An interesting dilemma,when hot running water is a luxury in an environment that is freezing cold. The health aspects of smoking make the house untenable for you. Say hi to sponge baths in the tundra.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #1323
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoau View Post
I reckon the importance of these two little things will rise dramatically as winter goes on.
Yes, probably, but then again where is the adventure in living comfortably in a normal house? I wanted the real Alaskan experience, and if I regret it I just have myself to scold! Nevertheless, an experience it will have been!
Old 08-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #1324
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
Luckily it's not windy here too often, what I"ve heard so far is that it is mostly wind-still, one of the perks of being up here.
Once cold it takes minimal wind to increase the chilling effect.

Remember though wind chill is not an actual temperature, it is the effect of the wind, on heat loss of warm objects.

Example: -30 with a 20 mile per hr wind is a effect on your skin of -60 with no wind, but step behind a shelter and it is still only -30. Where it becomes really important is heat loss from a warm object like a house or cabin. You will use a lot more wood on a windy day than a calm day.

dryden_rider_54 screwed with this post 08-18-2013 at 03:28 PM
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #1325
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 371
From experience..
Tobacco smoke will be in the furniture...almost impossible to remove.

Sun showers...available from sailing and camping suppliers. Fill with warm water stand in a big pail...great in a lurch.

Follow your heart.
'71 SL 350 - Honda
drdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:15 PM   #1326
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdubb View Post
From experience..
Tobacco smoke will be in the furniture...almost impossible to remove.

Sun showers...available from sailing and camping suppliers. Fill with warm water stand in a big pail...great in a lurch.

Follow your heart.
Have one already, used it during my year on the road to take showers. Well, at least in areas that did not have too many mosquitos!
Old 08-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #1327
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
Once cold it takes minimal wind to increase the chilling effect.

Remember though wind chill is not an actual temperature, it is the effect of the wind, on heat loss of warm objects.

Example: -30 with a 20 mile per hr wind is a effect on your skin of -60 with no wind, but step behind a shelter and it is still only -30. Where it becomes really important is heat loss from a warm object like a house or cabin. You will use a lot more wood on a windy day than a calm day.

Thanks for this chilly info
Old 08-19-2013, 01:10 AM   #1328
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Yes, probably, but then again where is the adventure in living comfortably in a normal house? I wanted the real Alaskan experience, and if I regret it I just have myself to scold! Nevertheless, an experience it will have been!
Go for it!

Ural - speed limits aren't a restriction, they are an achievement!
roscoau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:12 AM   #1329
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,424
Been following your report for a long time gal. Being from S. Louisiana and hateing cold weather with a lot of passion, I'd probably bail.
Really though, I would op for the cabin and put a little porch together for the bike. Keep it coming.
Oh yes, I very much do remember how cold out house seats can be in the winter. I was in grade school when we finally got sewer lines where I lived down here.,

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:28 AM   #1330
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,211
Need a roomie?I'm ready to get the heck away from here.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #1331
Rabble
mountain boy

Oddometer: 13
Enjoying the winter

Seems like you've been getting lots of good advice and I'd say the most important thing is attitude, which in your case is sterling. But having lived in the Canadian bush for decades I will chime in on a couple of points:
1) Outhouses - no problem! In 40 years at this place I've never missed having an indoor toilet. I prefer stepping out of the house to do the business and watching the snowflakes falling lazily through the branches, or the squirrels at play or whatever small things of nature are going on which we're usually too busy to notice.
2) Wood heat - super important even if there's a backup heat source. Look for a good heater well installed. Should be big enough to accommodate larger sizes of firewood (less splitting, better control of fire) and to crank out the heat when needed. Also should not be leaky so you can turn it down to hold the fire effectively while you go to town. Think safety, look for good clearance from any combustibles and effective heat shields where needed. Really look at the chimney. Solid, insulated, not too close to wood framing? If you have any doubts find a local with years of experience to give it a look over. Ask them how many cords they figure you'll need for the winter. It also really helps if the woodshed is quite close to the house so you're not forever hiking for another piece of firewood. You're going to love it!
Rabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #1332
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
Been following your report for a long time gal. Being from S. Louisiana and hateing cold weather with a lot of passion, I'd probably bail.
Really though, I would op for the cabin and put a little porch together for the bike. Keep it coming.
Oh yes, I very much do remember how cold out house seats can be in the winter. I was in grade school when we finally got sewer lines where I lived down here.,
You know that pink or blue insulation foam really feels warm when you sit on it, even in very cold weather
Old 08-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #1333
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Need a roomie?I'm ready to get the heck away from here.
Hmmm, small cabin in the middle of winter sharing it with someone I don't really know................
That might be an interesting way to spell either disaster or success!!
Anyone sharing my cabin would have to be a vegetarian, a non smoker and a non drunk. A glass of wine occasionally does not bother me, but everything else will. I have a feeling you're probably sh*t out of luck
Old 08-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #1334
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabble View Post
Seems like you've been getting lots of good advice and I'd say the most important thing is attitude, which in your case is sterling. But having lived in the Canadian bush for decades I will chime in on a couple of points:
1) Outhouses - no problem! In 40 years at this place I've never missed having an indoor toilet. I prefer stepping out of the house to do the business and watching the snowflakes falling lazily through the branches, or the squirrels at play or whatever small things of nature are going on which we're usually too busy to notice.
2) Wood heat - super important even if there's a backup heat source. Look for a good heater well installed. Should be big enough to accommodate larger sizes of firewood (less splitting, better control of fire) and to crank out the heat when needed. Also should not be leaky so you can turn it down to hold the fire effectively while you go to town. Think safety, look for good clearance from any combustibles and effective heat shields where needed. Really look at the chimney. Solid, insulated, not too close to wood framing? If you have any doubts find a local with years of experience to give it a look over. Ask them how many cords they figure you'll need for the winter. It also really helps if the woodshed is quite close to the house so you're not forever hiking for another piece of firewood. You're going to love it!
Thanks Rabble I know I'll love it! My only bummer is having to wait till October till the cabin becomes available. I might just keep looking for something else, but seeing as I might have another house sitting job for a month, I might as well save some money and hang on in there for a while.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #1335
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
Hmmm, small cabin in the middle of winter sharing it with someone I don't really know................
That might be an interesting way to spell either disaster or success!!
Anyone sharing my cabin would have to be a vegetarian, a non smoker and a non drunk. A glass of wine occasionally does not bother me, but everything else will. I have a feeling you're probably sh*t out of luck
Crap! My friends have been telling me I have been too picky and all I am looking for is someone who doesn't smoke and isn't CRAZY!!
Regards....just jeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote