Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #121
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

Oddometer: 836

Rolled into Ohio after my last post. Took the quiet roads but had to go through Toledo in order to get to the coastal highway.
Well........ me and big places just don't get along I guess. It took me an hour to get through Toledo. I must have missed some turnoffs here and there! Boy! Oh well, I did find my way eventually and took some nice shots along the way.

A lake on both sides of the road and upcoming bridge

This was a drawbridge, cute those little booths

Earlier that day I had gone online and tried again to find a place to crash by using the tent site on the ADV forum.
I had tried before but everyone had either moved, were out of town, or had guests over.
I was happy to see that Tim, offalot, still had the creek available in a place called Madison. Not too far, I could make it there.

If you ever want to just get blown away by the opulence and “I-don’t-know-what-to-call-it”, of people, then go and ride HWY6 along the coast of Lake Erie, from Vermillion to Cleveland, through towns called Sheffield Lake, Avon Lake, and Lakewood.
If you had actually heard my blabbering under my helmet, you'd think I was a broken record. OMG, OMG, OMG look at that one, OMG wow! OMG this looks like a castle, OMG etc!
The homes along the lake are HUGE! some look like castles, others like mausoleums, I have no words for it.
All the while I couldn't help but ask myself, "Are they happy?" I kind of figured they were either very rich and just built those no problem, or they were slaving away burdened by the colossal debt of building them.
Either way, it was an eye-opener. I wished I had taken more pictures, maybe one day I will ride this road again with one of those GoPro cameras.
One funny thing, there were too many traffic lights on the way, and as I was sitting there at one of them, the van next to me in front of the light, had a family in it. The guy hollered and asked where I was from. I hollered back Hawaii! Of course the inevitable, “Wow! You are riding the US all alone?” pops out. We talked while the light was red and they wished me a safe journey.

I dared myself to stay on the freeway #2 and take it all the way through Cleveland

As it turns out, I was there at the right time. Traffic hour had come and gone, and the best thing about that freeway (Highway?) was that it didn’t allow trucks on it! Hurray!!
And then whom did I see? The family in the van from the traffic light, they were going the same direction I was, and I stayed behind them way past the Cleveland traffic. Then my road took me left and they turned right, the kids waving bye through the rear window.

I don’t like to ride at night, but this time I didn’t mind so much, it made the road a little quieter.
I got to Tim’s house around 8:30- 9:00 ready to pitch my tent near the creek. Tim offered me his guest room which was really sweet, and I was glad seeing as I was more tired than I thought I was. His dog Byron was funny. He seems to love fleece blankets, and literally shreds and devours them over time. I got to meet his girlfriend Josie, and the three of us had an interesting conversation about dreams and reality, and about a book Tim had read about this white woman who goes on a walkabout with an Aborigine tribe. I seemed to vaguely remember reading that very same (or similar) book a long time ago.
I slept soundly that night and wished Tim goodbye in the morning when he left for work.
I then wished Josie goodbye.

I did take a picture of his old cameras before I left; my dad loves old cameras.

Wow! I think this is the earliest I have ever started out in the morning! I think it was 7:30 AM!

Quaint little shops in ……………..?

Josie had recommended a good coffee shop in Ashtabula, so I stopped by there to have a cup of coffee, charge laptop, and write ride report. Unfortunately when I was almost done the page on ADV froze, so I couldn’t post it. I left the window open and just shut my laptop in the hopes that it would unfreeze at some point and I could continue.
It did!! Yay, note to self, type it in word and then paste it in reply window! Which is what I am doing now.
There were two guys sitting outside the coffee shop, who started asking me the usual questions. One of them had to take a picture of me, LOL. Then I met a couple inside the shop, and I answered the same questions. Turns out that the woman takes snapshots of each license plate on her list, and she never thought to see a Hawaiian one. She was glad she convinced her husband the day before to take another day off.

Saw this in the window next to the coffee shop
Hmmmm, This sounds very true, but also like a lot of work!
According to the laws of attraction you just need to envision and believe the mountain will move.
I still wonder which one is easier

Cute little building

Yay, finally in Pennsylvania!
I have had a few lucid dreams where I approached a dream character in the dream and asked them where I was, and a few times got the answer Pennsylvania.
I always wondered if my lucid dreams were telling me to go to Pennsylvania.

Yep, red barns in PA too

I saw the spider from a ways away, and decided to stop and check it out.
The guy who made these made them with a chainsaw! Awesome!!!
Turns out he also rode motorcycles and had been debating getting a dualsport. He loved Spirit and kept on asking questions about her.
I walked around and took all these shots and told them they would be online on my ride report.
Somewhere on the road I felt a sharp burning pain on my wrist, there was no where to pull over but I had to it was frigging hurting! I punched my brakes pulled over to the side in the gravel hearing the honking of the cars behind me, and shut off the engine. Sure enough, I saw the stinger protruding from my wrist, and inside my shirtsleeve was the bee. Well, I had to psyche myself up seeing as I didn’t have an Epi-pen on me, it had expired. I pulled the stinger out, sucked on the area and rode off watching my breathing and going fast to get some adrenaline in my system.
It worked, and other than a burning pain and just a little swollen throat, I did fine.
I can’t really remember what town it was near, but I think it was Edinboro.

Kept riding on Hwy 6 and turned right on 62 South along the river. What a pretty ride!!

This bridge went into Tidioute

Very shortly after I took Hwy 666 (LOL!) and found Heart’s Content Road which I thought was a dirt road (old map)
Still, according to the Allegheny Forest rules one can camp in the forest for free as long as you are far enough away from a road, campsite or the water.
I kept on riding this road until I found a small dirt road off to the right.

Made my camp in between the trees

Nice meadow in front

My trusty ride and companion Spirit

I am like Jim in that sense, don’t like for Spirit not to be close to me when I sleep, so I keep her as close as possible, which is sometimes a bit of a challenge!

As I was working on my RR at the camp, I turned on my Droid to download a picture, and miracle above miracles I got a pocket of reception which downloaded 2 text messages from JetnJim suggesting we meet at the Mansfield Walmart (café across from it). Immediately after that my cell went back to no reception at all, whatsoever! Hmmmm, interesting!
Excited to see Jim again I decided to sleep in the hammock that night and packed everything I possible could, so I could get out of there as early as possible.
It took me a while to fall asleep but once I did I slept good. Woke up at 5:30 and just snoozed a bit until I could actually see something.
I don’t know why, and I find it rather disturbing, but it still took me over an hour to pack what little I had to pack. Because of this I left an hour later than I had planned, and showed up an hour later at Mansfield.
Glad I didn’t get a ticket seeing as I hit an occasional 80 mph.

It was great seeing Jim again and meeting the other KLR riders.
We all had lunch together and afterward I bid Jim goodbye (he saved my ass and loaned me some money) and rode toward Marienville with Lizzie and Glen, while Gunny and Pete rode back to Gunny’s house to pick up something he had forgotten.

We got totally soaked as we neared Marienville, but we made it to the Forest Ridge campground just in time to pitch up our tents before it started pouring again.
I texted Jim about the rain, and it turns out that it had been pouring too where he was, and to top it off, he had gotten stung by a bee on the temple twice! It had gotten into his helmet when he lifted up his visor.

We sat around the campfire after the rain ended and had dinner. The sky cleared and the stars were awesome!
I have to admit that the night was freezing!! I actually got up and put the fleece liner in my down bag.

The next day we went on a ride through the woods following Martin. It was a gorgeous route!

Had some lunch in front of a small store

NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #122
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 492
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTec Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #123
gunny_usmc
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 396
It was really great to meet you this weekend. Have a safe journey and if you ever need any help while in my neck of the woods, just call.
1978 RD 400
" I'm flat out like a lizard drinking "
gunny_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #124
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

I'm in Lewiston PA now, having a cup of coffee (Yeah I know, started drinking the stuff again) and having a bowl of oatmeal at Dunkin Donuts. I love having found another place with WiFi and oatmeal. I have to say though that their oatmeal is terrible! They don't add enough water cause the instructions tell them a certain amount, and they stick to it. LOL!
Why do we have brains if we don't use them? I mean, if people started using their brain, and taking some initiative instead of just following orders, I think we'd find this world a better place.
Anyway, Lat night marked a milestone for me!!!!! :
I'll tell you in a minute why, let me start where I left off.
I had a great time with everyone at the KLR "rally".

We sat at the campfire till 10 PM, and headed to bed.
The night was cold again! Brrrrrrrr.

The next morning, Sunday, we had to be out of there by 11, AAAHHHH, I am a slowpoke in the morning, but add cold weather to it and I am molasses!
Thankfull Glen was staying another day, so I took my time.
Took a shower and let my tent dry.
The campground office had a beautiful sun hanging outside on their wall.

I said goodbye to Lizzy, Terry, and Pete who were the first to go. Afterward to
CMArider (forgot name, sorry) and Martin, and to Glen when I finally took off.
Seeing as all my clotheswere dirty I decided to find a Laundromat in Brookville, south of Marienville. They had Wifi too, cool.
Afterward I hit the road heading for Bald Eagle Forest past Woodward where freecampsites.net listed a free site.
Took some cool shots of nature and buildings along the way.

I think this was in Madera, but maybe Tyrone.

I know for sure that the top part is a façade, because I saw it nearing the building, but somehow it didn’t look like the area with the windows was large enough to actually hold rooms. So maybe they are part of the façade too.

Well, I found Winkleblech road, a gravel one, 4 miles past Woodward. Headed up the gravel road to the top, and saw where the turnout for free camping was.
I turned my bike around on the turnout so I would be facing out, easier to leave, when my rear tire hit a big rock which promptly made me lose control seeing as my feet were now not able to touch the ground, and I dropped Spirit after a short but brave struggle to keep her upright.

Shit!!! Grrrrrrr……

Now what? In the middle of nowhere, not a soul in sight, and on a gravely turnout.
I quickly took my gear off the back, tossed it on the ground, took off my jacket, tossed it too, all the while gasoline was pouring out of my tank.
Grabbed the handlebar and the rear rack squatted down and tried to lift her.
I think if anyone would have been there, they would have seen my face turn red and purple, like those weight lifters on TV.
I think I got her off the ground about a foot.
My wonderful and tasty pesto and mozzarella sandwich that I had eaten an hour before was threatening to leave my stomach (the wrong way!)
I turned around and looked at Spirit, trying not to smell or notice the gas pouring out. How can I make this work????
I noticed that one side of the turn out was lower, so I grabbed the handlebar, and rotated Spirit around on the Pelican case.
Thanks you soooo much Jim for giving these to me!!!!!! My laptop was in that one!
I tried again to lift her, got maybe 2 feet off the ground and my body gave out after that. Tried again, and noticed that my bike was moving to the side, what now????
Idiot that I was, this whole time I thought I was gripping the front brake but instead I was pulling the clutch. Dang! I was frazzled!
I decided to take a few breaths, needed them, and think logically.
Spirit was just too heavy.
I took my tools out of the toolbox, and took one of the pelicans off. Took the tank bag and the tank saddlebags off too.
Now everything that I could possibly take off was off.
This was it, I had to be able to do it now.
I squatted again, gripped the rear rack and the handlebar, not the clutch, and lifted.
Wow! She went up, and not really all that difficult with the wheels facing the lower area. I gingerly turned around while holding her and kicked down the kickstand.

I did it!!!! I was dazed, hot, shaking and exhausted, but happy that I had done it.

By now it had gotten totally dark. I had no idea if it was cold, seeing as I wasn’t.
It took me only a few minutes to put the pelican back on and packed it.
I decided to leave the saddlebags and the tank bag off, seeing as both were saturated with gasoline. Yuck, the smell really makes me nauseous.
Pitched up my tent and got my sleeping gear in it, and called it a night.
Part of me worried for a sec about a forest ranger finding me (it seemed you needed a permit) but I quickly reasoned that he would have to have pity on me seeing as I was too exhausted to move after dropping Spirit. I slept like a rock, only waking up once when I heard a critter scurrying around in the vestibule.
The morning light showed where I was.

Packed up my gear pretty darn fast and broke down the tent.

These were all over it!

I have to learn to close my zippers tightly
At least it wasn’t a snake!

Even though the morning was fairly warm, as soon as you start riding you know hold cold it really still is. Well, RR is done, now it’s time to map out my route to West Virginia.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #125
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Damn Nomadgal, you are a real trooper. Good job with righting the bike! WV next, well I guess you are now heading south for the winter?
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTec Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #126
livewire
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Happy to see that you have the fortitude to pick it up!
It is really quite easy if you practice the correct technique.
Dont matter much if you are small or have "spindly legs".
livewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #127
ejdrury
Girly girl

Oddometer: 45
It was awesome seeing another female out there, so glad you came with us! I take heart from your post that I too, will someday sucessfully pick my KLR up. Heck, I shoulda practiced this weekend with all the brawny guys around.:p

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #128
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejdrury View Post
It was awesome seeing another female out there, so glad you came with us! I take heart from your post that I too, will someday sucessfully pick my KLR up. Heck, I shoulda practiced this weekend with all the brawny guys around.:p

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Haha, they would have loved to hear you call them brawny!!
In West VA now, will post RR later, had quite an adventure last night!!
Old 09-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #129
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
Damn Nomadgal, you are a real trooper. Good job with righting the bike! WV next, well I guess you are now heading south for the winter?
Brrrrrrr, teeth chattering, shiver shiver, Yup! heading south for the winter! If I decide to do Alaska next spring, I will come see you in Maine!
Old 09-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #130
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewire View Post
Happy to see that you have the fortitude to pick it up!
It is really quite easy if you practice the correct technique.
Dont matter much if you are small or have "spindly legs".
I would never call it easy! My back is still hurting, and I don't think I'd want to do that again any time soon. Still, it is nice to know I can.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #131
NomadGal OP
aka SoulDreamRider

Rain, rain and more rain!
I left Lewiston a tad later than planned, but thought that the road to Dolly Sods Forest in West Virginia wasn’t that far. I took a lot of pretty rural routes south, and before I knew it I was in Maryland. Hmmmm, guess I missed a turn somewhere! Another thing to buy with one of my future paychecks, a GPS. Anyway, turned west and headed toward West Virginia. Took some nice shots along the way.

Cumberland MD

Soon I found Hwy 220 south and found myself riding through more traffic and civilization than I had thought I would before I got into West Virginia, no sign again!
It started getting late and I had my doubts about getting to Dolly Sods before dark. Also the instructions on getting there said 6 miles of gravel. Now during the day I would have said no prob! But at night? I’m no JettnJim!
So I decided to find a pay campsite near Elk. I turned unto Country road 72 and drove through Bad Creek and toward Elk. I actually stopped at a house and asked for instructions, seeing as I was not finding the campground. The father and son who were home had never heard of it either. Darn! It was dark now and I was getting dangerously tired.
Then they said to just head for river road, and that all along the river I could camp for free. Yay!
So here I went, off to River Road. I can’t say much about the scenery, seeing as there was none to be seen. I hit the T-split and turned right, my headlight shortly shining on the river. Now where to go?? I kept riding and occasionally I saw a turn out, boy was I glad I never took any of them, as I found out the next day, I would have run right into the river. I finally say what looked like a turn around area with a small road inland and a fire pit in the center.
I pulled into the area, but did not go inland, for once being near the road was fine for me.
It had started raining and I figured I’d hurry with the tent. I had it up when it really started pouring down. Glad to be inside and dry, I decided to just crash, I was tired.
The rain put me right to sleep.
At about 3:30 AM I saw headlights on the tent (lights wake me up) and heard a car driving nearby. The I hear this girl hollering, “Wake up!!!” as they pass my tent within feet.
Of course now I am all startled, why did she holler wake up??
Now, she could have just been goofing off and thinking it was funny to holler that at a sleeping person, or she could have been warning me. As I lied there in the dark I could only hear the rain on my tent, very loudly, and on the leaves of the trees, even louder, and the river.
Hmmmmmmm I did not go and check how far the river was from where I pitched my tent……….
Yeah, it’s amazing the kind of images the mind can come up with when in a situation like that.
I opened my tent doors, and shone the flashlight outside. I figured if I saw water then I was in trouble! I didn’t see anything. I lied there for a while imagining the worst, and decided to just toss a tarp over me and go look down the trail going inland toward the river. I walked about 40 feet but the road only went down and I didn’t see any water.
Crawled back in the tent and went to sleep, figuring that if the river came near I would either hear or feel it!
I woke at 7 and peeked out again, this time seeing where I was. No river in sight, and went back to sleep for another 2 hours.

It was still raining but I decided to make some pancakes, I love the vestibules of my tent.

No reason to starve. I hung around the tent and checked on the map where Paris was, I had a friend who lived there.
Wow! Nearby, only about 120 miles. Yay!
I packed everything I could while in the tent, and when it stopped raining packed it quickly on the bike.
Took a picture of the dirtroad toward the river,

Glad I did not attempt that in the dark!

Hmmm, don’t really want to go through that either!!

I took the other side of the loop back out, and headed back the way I had come the night before.
According to the map I had to go down Laneville Road to hit Hwy 55. Hmmmm it turned into a dirt road, passing Dolly Sods. I asked a nearby resident if the road ended up on Hwy 55 and he said yea, so I took it.
It was fairly easy with an occasional little “river” running lengthways or width-ways across the road. Absolutely gorgeous little road over the mountain, especially with all the fall colors. Took one picture with my cell, seeing as I had packed my camera. Not rainproof. Yet another thing I wish to buy with future paycheck. A good waterproof camera!

I took a short break at MaDonalds in Petersburg for some coffee and fries, and to check my route, before continuing on Hwy 55.

In Front Royal I stopped to ask for some directions to a small shortcut road that had no name on the map. Turns out it was called Happy Creek Road, and the lady said that the bridge might be flooded

Yep, it looked like it might have been earlier that day. Thank goodness I could cross it now.

I got to Paris around 6:30, but unfortunately my friend had another guest over who was using the guestroom. So I told her no problem, I’ll stay at a campsite. It took me a little while, got lost again, before I found it.
Yay, I get to set up a soaking wet and muddy tent!
It was fairly windy, so I let the inside tent dry a little before putting the wet fly over it.
I went to pay the $15 fee, Oh well, not really worth it especially seeing the condition the showers are in, but glad to be somewhere without a river, LOL

Yuck!

At least this campsite has electric, so I get to charge my phone and laptop, and use the droid as a hotspot.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:03 AM   #132
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Ok I got to ask whats in the pancakes?
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:07 AM   #133
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Heading down to WV area in a couple of weeks. Will watch your WV adventures closely. Watch for the environmental degradation in WV and KY with the mountain top removal process of coal mining. Be safe!

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Dolly...ed=0CAsQ_AUoAg
Old 09-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #134
Prodje
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Reis van uit Nederland, via de digitale snelweg, met je mee,

Groetjes van uit Leeuwarden
Prodje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #135
Feyala
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodje View Post
Reis van uit Nederland, via de digitale snelweg, met je mee,

Groetjes van uit Leeuwarden
Hah, small world, I've got a friend who's Frisian.
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote