Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #31
y2blade OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,340
I went to look at one in the flesh this morning (Before going to Farnborough airshow) Liked what I saw, They only had one 800GS there and that was the Blue and White "Trophy" edition, looked very good.
I Was told by the nice man at Motorrad that the 2013 800GS will be along in September, AND they will have PROPER indicator switches!
Picked-up a brochure for MissB to have a look as..she's onboard

I have booked a demo ride on the current version for my next available Saturday.

Watch this space.
y2blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:14 PM   #32
Kiwi Tinkerer
Ross

Oddometer: 365
Nice in gravel.

First Gravel ride yesterday. Was good. Not as intimidating as my old r1200gs. Though that could just be the practice I have had with the x-challenge. The tourances need to go. Float a bit much. But so far, I love it.
Kiwi Tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #33
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
Thumb It rocks

Right at 30,000 smiles now, got the first one from my BMW shop nearly 4 years ago and have never regretted a moment. I've ridden it on thousands of miles of dirt/gravel/crap roads and two-tracks and it's always gotten me there an back. It's the bike I waited years for, biding my time on KR650s and dreaming of a bike that would eat up freeway miles in comfort, then take me off the main drag and into the unpaved world. To the F800GS
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #34
Big_D
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I've only put 3,000 on mine so far, but I've enjoyed every second. I just finished my first extended ride two weeks ago....about 600 miles in 2 days, from the central valley into the high sierras, past Reno and back down I-80. Mainly highway, but a good 100+ miles of dirt and a couple miles of single track. I was absolutely blown away at how well this bike manages in the rough stuff. It is NOT a dirtbike, but it can handle almost anything you are willing to try! I ended up committed to a rough downhill section of jeep trail with big granite and loose dirt. The road got uglier as I continued so I turned around and had to make it back up. This hill would have been tough on my 250 dirtbike!! Not saying the f800gs floated up the hill with ease, but I made it! I even got a standing ovation from a group of Jeepers.

I love this bike and haven't had a second of regret. It really is a jack of all trades.........fun in the twisters, comfy enough for long mileage days and still nimble enough to explore the backwoods.
Big_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #35
y2blade OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thank you EVERYONE for the feedback, this really does sound like an excellent bike.

In my mind I'm Torn between the cool Khaki-Green 2013 model or a well sorted Yellow or Lava Orange pre-owned one tbh.
the new 2013 would be nice but I have to ask myself is it "4k nicer" than a well sorted pre-owned one.

Probably not.

watch this space.

I have a demo ride booked on my next free Saturday (in a few weeks time).
I'll update this thread with my thoughts.

Thanks again.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #36
RRVT
Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer: 232
I have a yellow 2009 with 52,000 miles on it. The stator was replaced last year. I have always loved that bike and I will never sell it. It's been to 41 continental states with me, Translab, Newfoundland, six provinces in Canada as far as British Columbia. Great all around bike - good size for riding around town, does well on twisty roads, I would give it 8/10 on highways, and much more capable in dirt than I am willing to push.

But I do admit that after getting an old R1100GS I prefer that one on trips with a lot of highway time or long days. The current plan is to keep knobbies permanently on the 800 once my current set of tires wears out and dedicate this one to more offroad riding.

The bike does have a certain WOW factor to it. After 3 1/2 years of owning it, I still never get tired of looking at it. With the Trax cases and all the stickers I have, I do get a lot of curious looks and people approaching me to ask about the bike.
RRVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #37
y2blade OP
Beastly Adventurer

Had my Demo ride today, along with the NC700X

What a fantastic afternoon.
Both bikes were very good, Both were very different to each other (I knew this before I started, it has helped me decide which way forward).
Of these two, One stood out clearly as the better bike for my needs.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:15 AM   #38
y2blade OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sorry, bloody photobucket wasn't working on Firefox last night so couldn't upload pictures.

Here we go:

First I rode the F800GS.

It rode nice, very soft on the suspension...It felt just like a Big DRZ tbh, but with more go.
The gearbox was nice, the engine was good but had to be revved to get the best from it, the brakes were good, The seat felt like it had a lip or maybe a step around the front edge as it was digging into my inner thigh as I like to grip with my knees/legs (This comes from horse-riding), the clutch was heavy though (much heavier than my Fireblade) and had made my left wrist ache after about 30mins.

All in all I did enjoy it, I stayed out on it for about 45mins but by then then felt I'd had enough.

I did book a demo for the F650GS twin (to ride this morning) as this is slightly more road based but I'm unable to get across to ride it today so have just rang and cancelled that.

A big thank you to Paul at Bahnstormer Motorrad, A real pleasure to meet/chat with him again.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #39
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2blade View Post
Had my Demo ride today, along with the NC700X...Of these two, One stood out clearly as the better bike for my needs.
And are you actually going to wait for one of us to ask you which one? Your follow up post said a few good things about your 800 ride and ended with you not liking the clutch pull and taking it back to the dealership...and your 650 ride was called of.
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #40
polson
2 wheels !!!!

Oddometer: 242
Okay I have to chime in. I just purchased my 09 f800gs about three weeks ago. I am a dirt bike rider but wanted a true all around bike. Something that would be comfortable to ride to get me to the dirt and tear up the dirt when I got to it. I was riding my trusted 93 xr600, still have it, won't sell it but not exactly comfortable for those long gravel roads.

Soooo I took the leap. I can say this bike is certainly bigger and heavier, but WOW is it a great bike. I can't get it out of my mind. The weather is turning and I am trying to squeeze every minute I can to ride it. I am still a little nervous around the more challenging dirt areas which I would normally just tear up on my smaller bikes but they are no comparison to the overall comfort and capabilities I see with this bike.

I am already dreaming of a true long haul adventure.

polson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #41
Strawdog
Strawdog

Oddometer: 92
2012 f800gs

Bought mine new 26000Kms on this summer Dempster/Alaska and back roads around home worth every penny. Harleys now just collecting dust.
Strawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #42
killianm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
And yeah, I still have the stock seat, and have done two Iron Butt rides on it.

True Iron butt.

I just got the 6k service done on a '12 trophy that I picked up in July. I have a sargent seat. That was my only real complaint. I traded an 1150 GS on this. I miss the bigger bike on the pavement and two up but love the smaller bike in the dirt. I just ordered heated gear to keep riding in the cold. All in all I love it.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #43
yety61
Global Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,155
G'day all,
I purchased an '09 model 2 years ago this December with 7200km's an it. Put a grand total of 5000km's on it up till May this year, then did 28000km's in 3 1/2 months from London to Magadan. It now has 40400km's on it. Would I buy another one? Yes.
Am I going to buy another one? Not yet. This one's not done yet.
Will I sell the one I've got now? No.

It's damn near the perfect bike for me.

yety61 screwed with this post 11-06-2012 at 10:08 PM
yety61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #44
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
I am up to 36 = miles on my 2010. It aint perfect, but it's close. You want to improve on the rims and a few minor things and your there! Dave
Old 12-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #45
oz mal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Fantastic Bike

I've got 10 000km on mine now. Roughly 1/2 dirt 1/2 road.
I still love the bike. I tinker with it all the time. I look at it all the time and cannot wait to get back on it for the next trip.
I have finally stopped looking for another motorbike. This one will do me for many years to come.