Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Los Angeles to Yellowknife on an Airhead

An Idea of North

I don't go - let me say this again - I don't go for this northmanship bit at all. I don't knock those people who do claim that they want to go farther and farther north, but I see it as a game, this northmanship bit. - Glen Gould, The Idea of North

In a few days I will be leaving Los Angeles for Yellowknife. I will meander East to Denver, then north untill I run out of road in Flin Flon, Manitoba. (A town named after Josiah Flintabbatey Flonatin who "piloted a submarine through a bottomless lake where he passed into a strange underground world through a hole lined with gold" is a town woth visiting) From there I will ride west and then north to Yellowknife. After a few days on the Great Slave Lake I will stagger back south to Vancouver and eventually home to Los Angeles.

So knock on wood, caress a rabbit paw, throw salt over yor shoulder and turn around 3 times .... Wish me luck.

Top of the World Hwy, 2009

My vehicle is a 1995 BMW R100R, the last and newest of the airheads, but with 80,000 miles it's getting broken in. It's been north 4 times, and broken down along the way 3 times. I am not superstitious and writing this will not affect my luck. I am superstitious and have named the machine Legba, god of the cross roads.

O Legba, open the road for me!
ricard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 747
Great idea! A Yellowknife ride is on my agenda for next summer, been there by plane but by bike sounds like more fun!
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,509
Good luck, it looks like a great trip. How much time are you allowing for this?

Ahem, the last of the airheads was the R80GS Basic, production ended some time in 1996. Not that that's important
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Kokopelli. I have planned for about 21 riding days. Each pin on my map. Also, I'll spend a week in Vancouver. I like to average around 400 miles a day. That's the plan anyways.....

And you are right, the basic you have is truly the last of the airheads, and a great bike!
Old 07-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
Homeward Bound
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Awesome!! I too am leaving for Yellowknife next Friday. I leave from Santa Rosa, CA and will head due North. On the return I think I will explore BC a bit and maybe even take an inside passage ferry. I'll be riding an 08' Triumph Speed Triple.

Here's my proposed route:

View Yellowknife Alternate in a larger map

Good luck!!
Homeward Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Looks like a great route!

Not sure what day exactly you're planning on arriving in Prince George on your way south, but if you need a place to pitch your tent or a spare room to flop in when you get here, let me know. Timing might be an issue depending on when you hit town tho, we're due to leave on a 10 day trip ourselves on Aug 10th, but if we're around you're more than welcome!

Good luck!!
GISdood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #7
Homeward Bound
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISdood View Post
Looks like a great route!

Not sure what day exactly you're planning on arriving in Prince George on your way south, but if you need a place to pitch your tent or a spare room to flop in when you get here, let me know. Timing might be an issue depending on when you hit town tho, we're due to leave on a 10 day trip ourselves on Aug 10th, but if we're around you're more than welcome!

Good luck!!
Hey there! I don't know if you were responding to me or the OP (or both of us), but I might take you up on that. I am hoping to be in the Prince George area by the 27th - 29th of July, but that may be a bit ambitious.

Either way it's a nice gesture. I'll be sure to send a pm if it's a consideration.

Thanks and good luck on your trip too! !!
Old 07-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Homeward Bound, Yellowknife is gonna be a happening place. I plan to arrive there around July 26th, I'll keep a look out for you and your bike.

GISdood, you are a generous dude, unfortunately I'm not going to stay Prince George on this trip.

See you on the road to The North....
Old 07-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeward Bound View Post
Hey there! I don't know if you were responding to me or the OP (or both of us), but I might take you up on that. I am hoping to be in the Prince George area by the 27th - 29th of July, but that may be a bit ambitious.

Either way it's a nice gesture. I'll be sure to send a pm if it's a consideration.

Thanks and good luck on your trip too! !!

Absolutely an open invite... its always a treat to host inmates on their to/from AK and hear about everyone's adventures on the road. My wife and I are simply trying to 'pay it forward' a bit for the eventuality of our own months-long journey where the hospitality of like-minded folks is an invaluable thing.
GISdood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #10
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 1 - Los Angeles to Prescott Az, 497 miles in 14 hours

California desert east of 29 Palms. All is perfect, all is buddahood, as, like Icarus, I blissfully sail along.

A thunder clap under a blue sky, then a pouring rain and the first in a series of obstructions. Flash flooding across Arizona. And, I think, beware hubris!

Adventure Riders, riding two Velocettes from L.A. To Prescott, in the pouring rain.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:47 AM   #11
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
The two Velocette riders in front of the "No Loitering" sign is great.
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:59 AM   #12
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,527
subscribed! this is gonna be good.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #13
Homeward Bound
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricard View Post
Hey Homeward Bound, Yellowknife is gonna be a happening place. I plan to arrive there around July 26th, I'll keep a look out for you and your bike.

GISdood, you are a generous dude, unfortunately I'm not going to stay Prince George on this trip.

See you on the road to The North....
Yep, you too!! My buddy will be on his bright Orange 79' Harley Shovel head, so if you don't catch me on the triple, he will be hard to miss.

...maybe beers and tales of the road...
Old 07-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #14
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 2 - Prescott to Mexican Hat - 426 miles

Good granola breakfast at Arcosanti City, just north of Phoenix

Another day of crazy rain across Arizona. Horizontal rain, lightning strikes everywhere, flooded roads...a good day for ducks.

Comming into Utah, the rain stops.

Day 2, Prescott Az to Mexican Hat Ut, 426 miles...something like this..
Old 07-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #15
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 3 - Mexican Hat to Gunnison Co - 311 miles

Wake up at the "swinging steak" Mexican Hat Lodge, and everyone is hungover. Dogs, cowboy hats and Lee jeans. Cigarettes and Utah beer, lots of Utah Dos XX's beer..... Locals in their pyjamas with a little
"hair of the dog" at 9:30am.

Heading north from Mexican Hat.

The requisite ADVRider pic. Diner at the Long Holiday Motel, Gunnison, Co.