User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
Highside>Lowside OP
Hairier Than Thou

Oddometer: 1,064
In over my head- R75/6

So I had a gentleman contact me about a '76 R75/6 he is looking to sell. 30k mi, been sitting a few years,but has compression, spark and nothing is locked up. What trouble areas should I be looking for? I have bought many clapped out old bikes in the past, but have never messed with an airhead. Oh,,and I have to look at it in the morning, so I need advice ASAP. (Running screaming for the hills is not an option, either)
Old 07-10-2012, 01:36 AM   #2
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,987
How and where was the bike stored? If it gets rained on the water will get inside. Under a cheap tarp is bad. I bought one once that had been under a porch, it never dried out. Bad, bad, bad. Pull the float bowls off the carbs, look for water. Saw a picture of an Airhead once that was stored in a shed. The shed had a leak. Drip was onto Airhead.

Condition of rubber is important. Look for cracked rubber. How are the tires?

Change the oil before it is started. Check condition of oil. Change again after warmed up. Look for metal on magnetic plugs. Look for anything other than fuzz.

Check working control levers and throttle cables and clutch throw out. Check brake fluid is full, chnag fluid before starting.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,042
30 k miles is not that much over 36 years, some of these bikes were used quite seriously in their day and the BMW speedo resets to zero miles after 99999k so unless mileage claims can be supported by some sensible evidence then I would judge the bike on general condition.

Charles
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,315
Check the brake pedal for wear on the points of anti-slip pattern. Low mileage, they'll still be nice and sharp. High mileage, they'll be worn down.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
gplane
Brush With Destiny

Oddometer: 840
Sharp Pyramids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Check the brake pedal for wear on the points of anti-slip pattern. Low mileage, they'll still be nice and sharp. High mileage, they'll be worn down.
I concurr.
Says more than an airhead odometer ever will!
gplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:56 AM   #6
Highside>Lowside OP
Hairier Than Thou

Oddometer: 1,064
Wink

Well, I bought it. (Ain't she a beaut)

Wear was minimal on the brake pedal. The fairing has to go, and so does the seat. We'll see what she looks like after that...
Old 07-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Neat. I used to have a seat like that on mine. Comfyer than stock, but dorky-- tho it wasn't back when I upgraded it.

Early orders-of-business: pop the tank, check the front brake master cylinder. Get plastic cap(s) for the swingarm bearing(s) and plan to flush a lot of fresh grease thru them and check and adjust (you'll need a grease gun adapter and special socket for that). Plan, of course, on a complete fluids change, valve adjustment, points, etc etc.

One source for parts is Hucky's Spare Parts http://bmwhucky.com/ and there are other good suppliers.

Welcome to the Asylum, Inmate...
Old 07-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
ML WYDELL
NED

Oddometer: 476
Replace the front brake cable, that was the culprit in my dilema. Nice find. Once you get it road worthy you won't get shit else done because you'll be riding!
ML WYDELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #9
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,319
I highly suggest doing ALL fluids to factory spec. And heed the others advice as well. I'd also change to new plugs, and make sure there isn't any crap in the tank and petcocks which are other "ran when parked" dealios.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #10
JustinP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Neat. I used to have a seat like that on mine. Comfyer than stock, but dorky-- tho it wasn't back when I upgraded it.
I have one like that as well that I will never be able to get rid of lol..

http://s925.photobucket.com/albums/a...irhead%20Seat/

And welcome - nice ride
Old 07-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #11
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

The seat is debatable. If the seat pan is an original BMW metal pan in good condition please don't through it away. Good metal pans are hard to come by. If the vinyl and foam are actually servicable somebody might really like to get it. Those can be the ticket for long rides. Same goes for the fairing. On the long haul a barn door fairing can be worth a hundred or more miles by the end of the day. Looks like the windshield survives too. Those are in demand by people that do keep the fairings. You might consider storing both these parts in the rafters of your garage or such if you have room. They can some day serve again.

Nice looking bike. Clean the tank, replace the fuel hoses. Get started.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 07-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #12
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highside>Lowside View Post

Well, I bought it. (Ain't she a beaut)

Wear was minimal on the brake pedal. The fairing has to go, and so does the seat. We'll see what she looks like after that...
Nice! A near sibling to mine:

Things do improve with time (5 years!):

Good luck!
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #13
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
I have one like that as well that I will never be able to get rid of lol..
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston
The seat is debatable. If the seat pan is an original BMW metal pan in good condition...

Same goes for the fairing. On the long haul a barn door fairing can be worth a...
Back in the early '80s that Mustang seat was in style and Corbin/Russell/Mayer hadn't gone big-time and national yet (tho I'm sure they were around). I Used that seat-- and sometimes the stock seat-- for 25-30 years til it started to wear out. At that point I modified it (and it's factory seat pan) to a solo seat, evaluated it for a year, then sent it in to Bill Mayer for a rebuild to Mayer standards. Less dorky, super comfy.

Ditto on the Vetter Windjammer. Got it in '75 or so, and for years alternated between a faired and nekkid bike. The bike is lighter, faster and more nimble when nekkid. But as I've aged, I've become heavier, slower and less nimble, so I prefer the "bubble of tranquility" of the fairing full time now. Hang on to it, you'll appreciate it when you reach Geezerhood...
Old 07-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #14
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
Nice! A near sibling to mine:

Good luck!
Meville,

What became of the Hannigan Fairing? Those are still in production so they do sell. They, unlike the barn door type, are aero-dynamic and it's said worth ten miles per hour in top speed, while sitting straight up. I believe current prices for a brand new Hannigan are up around $2,500 but used ones do go for about $500. Not a fast mover maybe but they do sell. I was at a flea market a couple years ago at my local dealer and nobody wanted to buy the one there for sale but that's the way things go. Another day it might move.

I've had my Hannigan for about 12 years. Love it.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #15
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Meville,

What became of the Hannigan Fairing? Those are still in production so they do sell. They, unlike the barn door type, are aero-dynamic and it's said worth ten miles per hour in top speed, while sitting straight up. I believe current prices for a brand new Hannigan are up around $2,500 but used ones do go for about $500. Not a fast mover maybe but they do sell. I was at a flea market a couple years ago at my local dealer and nobody wanted to buy the one there for sale but that's the way things go. Another day it might move.

I've had my Hannigan for about 12 years. Love it.
Like Bill recommended, I'm saving it for my old age. Maybe even my younger age--I've had the bike up to 70 a few times in my break-in rides and that's a hecka buncha wind!
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote