Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #16
TheRoss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
This theme ride of yours is making me thirsty!

Nice reporting. Keep it up.
TheRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #17
Yankee Dog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,925
So on to Knoxville. We took Hwy 63 out of Asheville. Very nice road with lots of twisties and good pavement. If you can help it, donít stop in Leicester. Neither of the two gas stations there will let you use their bathrooms. Which I did not find out until AFTER I had pumped my gas. And which can be somewhat uncomfortable after you have just had breakfast along with a basic load of coffee.

Anyway. Shortly after we turned north on 209 we turned west again. I have no idea the names of all the roads, but they turned to gravel after a while and stayed gravel all the way to the freeway and past to the other side. If fact, we were on gravel from there until we reached Hwy 32 at the Tennessee line.

32 beginning at the TN line was a really fine road. Very twisty and brand new pavement. However, be prepared to turn around at the state line unless you are on a dual sport (or a Ural) and donít mind gravel.
Pic from the gravel from the missis' iPhone while she is not looking

Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #18
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,335
I have always liked Highland, but have never made it to the brewery . Looks Like a fun time maybe someday I will make it down that way.
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:40 AM   #19
Yankee Dog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sawworks brewing company. Knoxville. Good beer but only two flavors on the menu. I think I'm getting spoiled
http://sawworksbrewing.com/

Old 07-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #20
Yankee Dog OP
Beastly Adventurer

We move on from Sawworks. I had a hankering for a stout. So we walked over to a local pizza joint. Barleys

The front one is a Belgium 1554. The back is a Rogue chocolate stout.

Life is good

Old 07-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #21
Yankee Dog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Twas a long night. Next stop is the Downtown Grill and Brewery. A happening place. A little crowded for my liking. Loud as well.

Yankee Dog screwed with this post 07-12-2012 at 01:54 PM
Old 07-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #22
Yankee Dog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oops. Woke up in the morning to this

See those now tight bolts holding the tub drive shaft to the final. They were all loose.

Those forest roads must have been rougher than I thought. No big deal however. I got them tightened back up in a jiffy.

I did have to top it off with 10w40 rather than 75w but that is a subject for an oil thread

Old 07-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #23
Yankee Dog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Nashville.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #24
Yankee Dog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Just for fun. This is the Beast going through a tunnel on the BRP.

http://youtu.be/2Ct4Mf1aSf8

Old 07-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #25
bigskydrift
dual sport hooligan

Oddometer: 422
what a cool ride report, my favorite in a long time.
Iím in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love. And itís difficult to analyze love when youíre in it." - John Steinbeck
bigskydrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:05 AM   #26
Yankee Dog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Almost at an end.

More on Nashville. Nashville was our last stop on the tour. And I have to admit as much as I like beer, I was about beered out. I think I will stick to wine or rum or scotch or something for the next month or two. But that is now, and this is about yesterday.

The Jackalope Brewing Company is fairly new on the scene in Nashville. But they have already started to draw a crowd. This is their tasting room about 6:00pm. It is only open from 4 to 8:00pm.

Oh and they have some interesting graffiti on the tables.

We had planned to head to a restaurant after Jackalopes. But it turned out that Yazoo Brewery was only a short walk from Jackalop. So off we went.

Their tasting room was also a happening place. They also gave tours although we didnít have the time just now.

So we ordered up a tray of samples and got down to business.

After that we proceeded to Blackstoneís. This is a restaurant and brewpub. Great beer and great food. Nice relaxed atmosphere. I highly recommend it. I believe there is a photo of it up above someplace.

I am sorry to say that I have lost track of all the delicious beer I drank on this trip. So I canít give descriptions. Some were better than others but none were bad. Of special note however was a beet beer at Jackalope. Yes, you heard it right. This beer had BEETS in it. You know those red things your mother made you eat. Anyway, it was really good. I had to try hard to recognize the beet flavor but it was there and really added something.

Oh, did I mention that we met the missusí sister and bro in law in Nashville. So after we ate they dragged us down town. Here is what I remember of it.

Thus ends our epic tour of Southeastern breweries. The next day we packed up the Beast and headed South back to Decatur. Had an absolutely great time. I highly reccommend any or all of these places we stopped at.

Remember.... It OK for beer to have flavor.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:10 AM   #27
Yankee Dog OP
Beastly Adventurer

One other thing. Considering the way the heat has been during this trip I thought I would mention a couple of pieces of equipment that were a huge help.

Some folks have criticized the cooling vest, but I really like it. Yes, it didnít last forever, and yes it felt clammy at times. But it made a big difference in my comfort level. I would rather feel cool and clammy than hot and dry. And folks this was in the Southeast under conditions of high humidity. If you plan to ride when the temps are in or approaching the triple digits as we did, then I highly suggest you try this thing.

Oh and one thing about the camel back. We filled them with ice water, but the water in the hose had a tendency to heat up between drinks. This forces you to drink hot water until the cool waters works its way from the bladder to the mouthpiece. I took to blowing back into the hose after I drank to clear it of water. This worked very well so every drink was clear and cold.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:06 AM   #28
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,335
Thanks for taking us along Yankee Dog looks like you guys had a great time . I hope to check a few of those breweies out sometime.
If you ever find yourself in Virginia not far from the parkway between 56 and 64 on 151 there are a few good breweries Blue Mountain and Devils Backbone.
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote