User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
myko OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Cool2 R100GS vs Vstrom 650

I'm looking at a '93 R100GS with about 90,000 miles on it for 3 grand being sold by a local mechanic with a good reputation. The bike is said to have been "rebuilt at 17, 426. Compression test done: #1= 120, #2=135".

Meanwhile, a used dealer has a 2007 DL650 with about the same amount of miles for the same price.

I don't tinker so low maintenance is a bit of a priority and am aiming to take it on the freeway for a few hours then chew up some gravel in the mountains.

Any advice, warnings, and admonitions will likely be appreciated.

And yes, I would consider spending more on a purchase to avoid headaches down the road, but still....
myko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,285
Sounds like neither bike is a great option, but the GS is probably the better value. Stroms of that age are often limping. and aren't that well made to begin with. If you fix up the GS (not really cost effective, better off just buying one in good shape) it'll hold it's value a lot better than a strom.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,229
i have/had a gs (its being parted) and while it was in the shop for major repairs, i scraped the $ up to buy a strom.

there is no comparison, the gs is the much nicer bike.

ive since sold the strom and picked up an r80 mono and it seems to fill the gaps between the mechanical characteristics like i like and the handling like i like. im pleased
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
Jamie

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by myko View Post

I don't tinker so low maintenance is a bit of a priority
That pretty much takes both those bikes out of the running. Even a jap bike with that kind of miles will always be needing something.

I'd save another grand and buy a Strom 650 with half or less miles.
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I'd save another grand and buy a Strom 650 with half or less miles.
Probably not even necessary. $3k for a 90,000 mile weestrom is too much.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,229
i sold my 04 weestrom with 23k on the clock for 3800

just sayin
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by myko View Post
I'm looking at a '93 R100GS with about 90,000 miles on it for 3 grand being sold by a local mechanic with a good reputation. The bike is said to have been "rebuilt at 17, 426. Compression test done: #1= 120, #2=135".

Meanwhile, a used dealer has a 2007 DL650 with about the same amount of miles for the same price.

I don't tinker so low maintenance is a bit of a priority and am aiming to take it on the freeway for a few hours then chew up some gravel in the mountains.

Any advice, warnings, and admonitions will likely be appreciated.

And yes, I would consider spending more on a purchase to avoid headaches down the road, but still....
This is a troll, right? Whose fake n00b are you?

You're in Oakland and you're considering the purchase of one of those pieces of crap? You are in the second best Craigslist motorcycle market in the world. You can do WAAAYYY better than either of those deals.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #8
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,845
So the op posts up two bikes the dl is about 1000 bucks over priced and the gs is right in the hunt.

I own both. The gs will hold its value far longer then the dl will.
The dl will be far cheaper to run. And they are nearing the bottom of their cost.

The dl is a oil change tire change add fuel and go kind of bike.

The gs needs you the dl doesn't

The dl is a bike for the pragmatist. The gs is for someone who's passionate about the bike.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:34 AM   #9
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,313
Either your an Airhead sort of person or a Japanese bike sort of person. If your into old Airheads the answer is simple:)
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:55 AM   #10
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,382
I've been a life long airhead person, but am currently looking for a wee strom to add to the stable for longer trips. at this point, I wanna turn the key and enjoy my vacation, not worry if my shift spring is gonna break, my bean can will expire, my rotor will crap out, my driveshaft will explode, my coil will self destruct,etc. (all stuff that HAS happened to me)
the old girls are still great bikes and I love them dearly, just want something more reliable for longer trips, hate the thought of ruining a 3 week vacation working on a bike in the middle of nowhere. plus, there are suzuki dealers everywhere, bmw dealers not so much, and those that like airheads even less.
probably gonna end up buying a new 2012 version, although a later model used one isn't out of the question. yes, the old airheads are great bikes, but technology marches on, and after riding some late model bikes, I was simply amazed at the effortless way they covered ground. the reliability of late model japanese bikes is good, just ride it for 100,000 miles then get another!
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:24 AM   #11
camgregus
riding gently now

Oddometer: 2,996
if
you
brakes....
Look
for
another
strom...
Old 07-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #12
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
So the op posts up two bikes the dl is about 1000 bucks over priced and the gs is right in the hunt.

I own both. The gs will hold its value far longer then the dl will.
The dl will be far cheaper to run. And they are nearing the bottom of their cost.

The dl is a oil change tire change add fuel and go kind of bike.

The gs needs you the dl doesn't

The dl is a bike for the pragmatist. The gs is for someone who's passionate about the bike.

This is spot on.

&

I have a 93 GS with 35K on it. It is retired....I take it once a year to get an ice cream cone.

A V-Strom is a better machine if you are into the ride, The GS is the better machine if you are into the bike.

Like to tinker? GS, Just want to ride the damn thing? Wee.

I know serveral people with high mileage Stroms, they still are going, but they were the people who put the miles one them. If I were buying a bike with 90K, I would probably choose the BMW, not because of the build quality, but because beemer geeks tend to be more anal about taking care of their bikes.

If I had $3K to spend I would probably get a nice, clean, low mileage pre-08 KLR.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #13
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Sounds like neither bike is a great option, but the GS is probably the better value. Stroms of that age are often limping. and aren't that well made to begin with. If you fix up the GS (not really cost effective, better off just buying one in good shape) it'll hold it's value a lot better than a strom.
I can't believe the nonsense out there surrounding vstrom reliability after it has proven itself the last decade as a workhorse. Not that well made to begin with???? Get off your European high horse
Old 07-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #14
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
I can't believe the nonsense out there surrounding vstrom reliability after it has proven itself the last decade as a workhorse. Not that well made to begin with???? Get off your European high horse
Sorry, but it's not nonsense and I didn't say anything about their reliability. They are relatively reliable up to the end of their service life, but at 100k miles it's often not cost effective to keep them running. The motor is pretty well proven, but the rest of the bike is definitely built to a price and built to be disposable. By the time that the motor is done, the rest of the bike is pretty much trashed as well. That's a fact. BMWs have their shortcomings too, but in general are very well built (airheads, at least). I think pretty much anyone would agree with that. Somehow I doubt you'll see many 2005 V-stroms on the road in 30 years whereas a huge percentage of 30 year old airheads are still on the road. Why is it that KLR and Strom owners get their panties in a bunch whenever someone says they're anything less than the greatest motorcycles ever made? Let's be real here. Both are basically the cheapest motorcycles in their respective classes. In the case of the strom you get a very solid reliable motor for your money, but the rest of the bike is... um... not as good. It's a very good value as a new bike, but to pay $3000 for one that's probably on its last legs doesn't make sense. In a few years the strom will be worth less than you paid for it. The GS will probably be worth more. Explain how that's "nonsense." Don't say I'm on a "European high horse." I've owned and worked on all the Japanese brands at one point or another. I currently have a suzuki dirt bike and love it.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 07-11-2012 at 09:02 AM
Old 07-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #15
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 2,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
I have a 93 GS with 35K on it. It is retired....I take it once a year to get an ice cream cone.
Retired at 35K?! It's barely broken in!
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote