ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #16
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,838
Were you using string plugs on the Ducati? When the hole in the tire is too big to hold a plug, try putting two or more in at the same time. Worked for me.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #17
westcoasttrekker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
Were you using string plugs on the Ducati? When the hole in the tire is too big to hold a plug, try putting two or more in at the same time. Worked for me.
Thanks for the advice. I wasn't doing the repair, but I know he used up the big plugs and had to use the smaller plugs also. Heck I was ready to use some quicksteel and gum, anything that would hold the plug in.

My Pics
westcoasttrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #18
westcoasttrekker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Chelan to Hwy 20

The next morning we were up early and ready to get back on the route. We explored Chelan for a little looking for breakfast then headed out to Boyd road to find some dirt.

A farm along Boyd road. This is also where I gently laid my bike down while adjusting the straps on my dry bag. Luckily no one was around to see it.
Photobucket

Fork in the road along 8020
Photobucket

Views of Lake Chelan along FS 8020
Photobucket
Photobucket

We then connected with 3107 and checked out some views from Cooper mountain.
Photobucket
Photobucket

New life along 3107
Photobucket

Lupine and Indian paintbrush.
Photobucket

Gold Creek
Photobucket

We got to Hwy 153 then headed to the last section before Hwy 20.

FS 41
Photobucket
Meadow along FS 41
Photobucket

Smokey wants to remind you to be careful. No playing with matches while riding.
Photobucket

From there we rode down to Hwy 20 then to the Twisp River Pub. Had a celebratory meal then made the long haul home over the pass.

Overall it was an awesome trip. I would love to go back and run the whole route. I really got to know my bike better and saw some places that few people have seen.

My Pics
Old 07-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #19
SUNTZU
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Did you have a 15 t counter sprocket on the KLR? I'm debating on whether I should swap out my 16 for my up coming wabdr trip.
SUNTZU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #20
westcoasttrekker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNTZU View Post
Did you have a 15 t counter sprocket on the KLR? I'm debating on whether I should swap out my 16 for my up coming wabdr trip.
I ran the stock sprocket, the bike was weighted down too. It did fine for my riding style, which is to go slow and rubber neck at all the scenery.

My Pics
Old 07-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #21
2handedSpey
bunned

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoasttrekker View Post
I ran the stock sprocket, the bike was weighted down too. It did fine for my riding style, which is to go slow and rubber neck at all the scenery.
Great idea!
2handedSpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #22
Pete156
I love to eat!

Oddometer: 1,440
Great RR and Pics!

1000 CBR
200 KDX

Old 07-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #23
iJabberwocky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernskating View Post
Hi-when did you make this ride? And, any problem with the reported washout on 7100 road? Did you get thru all of Section 3?
thanks
Randy
We rode Mission Creek road (7100) through to 9712 Sunday. The washout is rideable and I did it on my KLX250s, there is a log down in the road after the washout as you are heading south but can get around it. Hit me up with a PM if you have any more questions on that route, I ride that area every Sunday.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #24
iJabberwocky
Gnarly Adventurer

Ducati tire

My friend works at the Wenatchee shop you got your tire from. He was telling me about this guy who was riding a Multistrada doing the WABDR that needed a tire and then I read your ride report. So I called my buddy this morning and asked if it was a white Ducati, he said yes. He told me a funny quote your friend with the Ducati asked the tech Todd there, "Is this tire a good to 130?"...."No I am serious is it good to 130?" LOL!
Anyway, great RR and might join you on Saturday on FS18 but I have my GS on this side of the mountains this weekend. Still have to run it by the wife, she just got back from working up in AK for a month.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #25
westcoasttrekker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJabberwocky View Post
My friend works at the Wenatchee shop you got your tire from. He was telling me about this guy who was riding a Multistrada doing the WABDR that needed a tire and then I read your ride report. So I called my buddy this morning and asked if it was a white Ducati, he said yes. He told me a funny quote your friend with the Ducati asked the tech Todd there, "Is this tire a good to 130?"...."No I am serious is it good to 130?" LOL!
Anyway, great RR and might join you on Saturday on FS18 but I have my GS on this side of the mountains this weekend. Still have to run it by the wife, she just got back from working up in AK for a month.
It sounds like he was in a hurry to get back home. Im sure he obeyed the speed limit all the way home. After all he had to use his shift lever he broke when he laid the bike down.

I also heard they had a heck of a time finding a tool to remove that back tire. He had to drive all over the place to a find socket that fit it. I guess those dont come in the Ducati toolkit.

Anyways, hope you can make it tomorrow. I'm looking forward to meet some other ADV inmates.

My Pics
Old 07-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #26
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJabberwocky View Post
We rode Mission Creek road (7100) through to 9712 Sunday. The washout is rideable and I did it on my KLX250s, there is a log down in the road after the washout as you are heading south but can get around it. Hit me up with a PM if you have any more questions on that route, I ride that area every Sunday.
Going South, is it passable on a loaded GSA?
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #27
iJabberwocky
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
Going South, is it passable on a loaded GSA?
I am not sure it could be done with that tree in the way. I would ride my F800GS along the creek washout (someone built it up and it is easier this year) but not sure if I would try the log with my F800, I was looking at it thinking the same thing you were.
The log in the way with a loaded GSA would be tough, I don't have the skill to do that but you may. I had to ride my friends KTM 350's up and around the log for them and I am not that good of a rider. I am sure some guys on here would tell you they could do it but I wouldn't be able to on a GSA.
Hope this helps a little. It is still cool to go check it out from the south entrance because it isn't that long of a detour if you have to turn around and go up No. 2 canyon on the suggested detour.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:27 AM   #28
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,230
any chance that downed tree would be cleared sometime this summer or do they usually just stay ?

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #29
iJabberwocky
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
any chance that downed tree would be cleared sometime this summer or do they usually just stay ?
They usually just stay unless someone can ride in with a big enough chain saw for this one. My friend runs a saw around sometimes but his saw isn't big enough for this tree.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #30
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,230
Oh thats right you guys have trees on steroids out there, forgot

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote