ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
kbasa OP
Colnago!

Oddometer: 64,910
Question for the folks in the real NorCal: Eureka/Fortuna area

Hey all, I'm looking to host an event with about 25 riders from the east coast. I'm looking for lodging now and am ideally looking for something with cabins/giant boarding house or similar, preferably near food.

Any ideas? I thought the Best Western in Fortuna would be good since Eel River Brewing is within walking distance, but the food was only so-so and I couldn't see feeding people for two days out of there.

This will be in September of this year, the weekend after Labor Day.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions/guidance/fuckoffs.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
K. L. Rocket
Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer: 921
http://www.eaglehouseinn.com/

Disclaimer: I'm not "in the real", but have been there plenty.

K. L. Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 16,193
Comfort Inn is much nicer, and has a decent hot breakfast you can grab as you are heading out to ride.
Not much left there for food, each year we have stayed for a dual sport event, we had a few less choices for grub.

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
kbasa OP
Colnago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwidd View Post
Comfort Inn is much nicer, and has a decent hot breakfast you can grab as you are heading out to ride.
Not much left there for food, each year we have stayed for a dual sport event, we had a few less choices for grub.
Indeed. The brewery is still there, but the food was kind of "meh" and the Denny's is now a steak house that was completely empty on a Saturday night. Blug. I figured that with the BW, the Comfort Inn and the Holiday Inn Express all serving breakfast, they pretty much put the Denny's out of business.

I'm not totally wed to Fortuna, either. I just need a spot that's an easy day ride north and is close to 36/299 for Saturday riding.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. L. Rocket View Post
http://www.eaglehouseinn.com/

Disclaimer: I'm not "in the real", but have been there plenty.
Nice place. several places to eat nearby and in the building, too. I work around the corner from there. Neighborhood can be a bit funky.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
K. L. Rocket
Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer: 921
Is the Bat Kave still open?

Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
Nice place. several places to eat nearby and in the building, too. I work around the corner from there. Neighborhood can be a bit funky.

K. L. Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,710
I love NoCal.

--"Nope, it's a playground"..
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
dickensheets
smprparatus

Oddometer: 195
RedLion/Samoa Cookhouse. Downtown Eureka near the Woodley Island marina.

Ryan from Eureka.
dickensheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. L. Rocket View Post
Is the Bat Kave still open?
Sadly, not that kinda funky.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #10
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 2,982
Dave,

Can't say I can recommend lodging in that area, but I can say there are some good eats to the east should you all take a long day ride. Brews & Screws in Hyampom, Wildwood Store in Wildwood, and The Red Bud in Hayfork. Weaverville has quite a few, too.

I'll be hosting a ride that same weekend. We'll be based at the Trinity Alps Resort, 20 minutes north of Weaverville. Maybe see ya out on the roads or trails.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #11
kbasa OP
Colnago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
Dave,

Can't say I can recommend lodging in that area, but I can say there are some good eats to the east should you all take a long day ride. Brews & Screws in Hyampom, Wildwood Store in Wildwood, and The Red Bud in Hayfork. Weaverville has quite a few, too.

I'll be hosting a ride that same weekend. We'll be based at the Trinity Alps Resort, 20 minutes north of Weaverville. Maybe see ya out on the roads or trails.
Excellent! Look for bikes with round, white Dubbelju stickers on them. These guys have pretty much rented the place out.

I totally appreciate the food suggestions. We have a bunch of guys from back east, so we're planning on heading up through 128/Anderson Valley, to 1 then up 101 to somewhere convenient to 36/3/299 as a loop on Saturday. Some folks will be staying another day or two, so that'll leave them time to hit the Lost Coast or vice versa.

Most of them have never ridden on the west coast before.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #12
configurationspace
delooper

Oddometer: 8,560
I'll probably try out one of the hotels in the Eureka - Fortuna area this weekend.

Want my mattress comfort review?
configurationspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:40 AM   #13
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
I live in Hydesville,very close to Fortuna. If it were me I would try the Best Western(I have actually stayed here) or the Super 8, or the other one that is right next to the Super 8. That would be a pretty central spot to base your rides from, close to 36, the Ave.of the Giants, all of the Lost Coast routes. I dont know what type of lodging you are looking for but maybe the Scotia Inn would work also. (Just 5 miles South of Fortuna.) I have also stayed at a few places in Eureka that were nice but the areas they were in were beyound FUNKY for me . Good luck with finding your lodging and have a great ride, PM me if you need any more details. Bill
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #14
kbasa OP
Colnago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by configurationspace View Post
I'll probably try out one of the hotels in the Eureka - Fortuna area this weekend.

Want my mattress comfort review?
I can assure you that the mattress in the Best Western Fortuna is quite satisfactory. The bigass recliner wasn't bad, either. Room 321.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:43 AM   #15
kbasa OP
Colnago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC51 View Post
I live in Hydesville,very close to Fortuna. If it were me I would try the Best Western(I have actually stayed here) or the Super 8, or the other one that is right next to the Super 8. That would be a pretty central spot to base your rides from, close to 36, the Ave.of the Giants, all of the Lost Coast routes. I dont know what type of lodging you are looking for but maybe the Scotia Inn would work also. (Just 5 miles South of Fortuna.) I have also stayed at a few places in Eureka that were nice but the areas they were in were beyound FUNKY for me . Good luck with finding your lodging and have a great ride, PM me if you need any more details. Bill

That's what I was thinking.