Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Alaska
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #16
legion
Lard Council

Oddometer: 12,337
Eventually a guy just has to pull on the big girl panties and realize that the world does not revolve around himself. And that it becomes less-so when the place you're wanting to do something for you is packed. I've been turned away for service on bike trips before and it's never a high point but it does happen.

If it happens when you're out on the town you just leave. If it happens when you're on a bike trip you *should* just leave. Contact whomever you think might be able to make things right for you or maybe for the next guy. Posting an ex parte' shit review on the net isn't done with that in mind though... it's a vindictive attempt to penalize someone else for not having done what you expected them to do.

Whiner.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #17
TheSeeker
Slingin' Steel

Oddometer: 198
Cool2 Thanks Legion...

Thanks Legion... The truths of the matter are surfacing slowly. I have been in touch with the "friend" and have heard the complaints first hand now.

We are taking the criticisms to heart and hope to avoid future miscommunications at the Service counter.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming... Anyone wanna buy a new bike?
TheSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #18
ParrishDakar
Face Down N Da Dirt

Oddometer: 8
Cool2 RE: Trails End BMW

The guys down at Trails End have always done a great job of getting me in and out of the shop as quickly as possible!
On any given day they have a line of travelers that starts forming in the morning and continues through the evening, all wanting their bikes serviced so they can get back on the road. Demetrius, Clark and the guys are always up-front with people dropping their bikes off and tell them that they’re doing their best to get as many riders back on the road enjoying as much of this great state as possible in the short amount of time they have available and that if you need anything more than fluids, filters or tires then you might have to wait a little longer to get your bike back. They don’t play brand favorites; their priority is the riders, the road warriors, the travelers who are out there rolling across the country putting on the miles... people like you vtbob. I think that most of the people making their way through AK realize this, and I think that the vast majority of those folks are pleased with the service they get up here. I’m sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I’m sure the guys at the shop were not trying to lead you along, and given the afternoon things may have changed so that they could have performed that 6K service after all.
No surprises that your dealer would want you to come back to them to perform the 6K… think about it.
Nothing else to say that hasn’t already been said , but want to throw out a big KUDOS to the guys at Trails End for getting my 1200GS rideable after I bounced it off the asphalt a couple weeks prior to leaving for D2D! Glad they were able to help me make it to Dawson so I could bounce my bike off the dirt trails in the Yukon!
ParrishDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #19
Fighter
Head Gruver

Oddometer: 4,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrishDakar View Post
The guys down at Trails End have always done a great job of getting me in and out of the shop as quickly as possible!
On any given day they have a line of travelers that starts forming in the morning and continues through the evening, all wanting their bikes serviced so they can get back on the road. Demetrius, Clark and the guys are always up-front with people dropping their bikes off and tell them that they’re doing their best to get as many riders back on the road enjoying as much of this great state as possible in the short amount of time they have available and that if you need anything more than fluids, filters or tires then you might have to wait a little longer to get your bike back. They don’t play brand favorites; their priority is the riders, the road warriors, the travelers who are out there rolling across the country putting on the miles... people like you vtbob. I think that most of the people making their way through AK realize this, and I think that the vast majority of those folks are pleased with the service they get up here. I’m sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I’m sure the guys at the shop were not trying to lead you along, and given the afternoon things may have changed so that they could have performed that 6K service after all.
No surprises that your dealer would want you to come back to them to perform the 6K… think about it.
Nothing else to say that hasn’t already been said , but want to throw out a big KUDOS to the guys at Trails End for getting my 1200GS rideable after I bounced it off the asphalt a couple weeks prior to leaving for D2D! Glad they were able to help me make it to Dawson so I could bounce my bike off the dirt trails in the Yukon!
PDakar, 'bout time you showed up.
Fite
Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #20
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,092
The Motorcycle Shop and George

Hey I remember getting some attitude from George about tire care and then the Motorcycle Shop! Well, I sent you a letter about my service and care 10 years ago ... it was more than I could have expected. As I said in the letter, thanks you. 6000 mile service, parts flown in overnight to fix what a tourist did backing into my bike in Homer and last crating and shipping the bike to me when a death in the family interrupted my trip. Many thanks.

BTW, if you're heading down near Wasilla, there's always Mike at the Abbey.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:52 PM   #21
Solarmoose
electric

Oddometer: 614
There's another option for travelers needing assistance big or small; post what your needs are and chances are someone in the Alaska ADV community will have a solution.
IF I'm around you're welcome to use my shop for oil changes and there are three independent shops in Fairbanks that may be able to help too. Same thing goes for the Anchorage area. We're all riders and travelers here and most of us have needed help on the road a time or two.

BTW, Trails End BMW has always done alright for me, both the legendary George and the "new guys."
Solarmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #22
friar mike
IronButtGruver

Oddometer: 4,909
Iam glad no one picks on me it would hurt my feelings.
Good-Bad-Iam the guy with the gun "evil dead"
God's speed Rommel run free my dog
friar mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #23
AK Bob
AKAM

Oddometer: 193
Oh Bullpucky

I've been riding and wrenching in Fairbanks on my BMW's since the 80's. Service from George at "Old Trails End", and Service and Parts from the "New Trails End", have always been first rate. Guess it is just a differance in expectations, parts, supplies, and service some times take time, travelers do get bumped to THE HEAD OF THE LINE, in my experience.. Lots of travelers.. Hey who showed up first that they can get back on the road the fastest is how it is done!

To suggest that shops in Fairbanks are Gougeing travelers is not only BS and Wrong, but I find it Insulting. Reality check.. It is more expensive to live in AK than a lot of the lower 48, the guys in the shops have to pay their people what it takes to live here.

If one needs to have their hand held, maybe you should bring a support crew with you..

Just the way I see it, nothing personal..

Suck it up and quit bitchin.

Hell Friar you got big sholders! It shouldn't bother you at all, one less problem at the Abbey!
'84 R100rt
'88 R100gs
AK Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #24
Budman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
George

On my trip to Alaska in 2005 I called George before I left to schedule an apointment. He said ok but he wasnt loosing any sleep on me getting there on time. Crotchety on the phone and crotchety when I got there but he was great to do business with and great to listen to his stories.
A small group from Germany on GSs showed up and demanded services. They left very unhappy. When I arrived i was a little early and he told me he was headed to lunch. Go take a nap. So I did. When he came back he serviced the bike and I was on my way.
When in Alaska its best to remember that you may as well learn patience, your a long way from home and you are not the most important thing on anyones mind. I found while there that most people were very helpful and courtesy on my part went a long way.
I cant wait to go back. Hopefully with Ann next summer.

Bud
Budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #25
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,319
The only complaint I have with Justin and TE is that they didn't give me that Dawson Edition 800GS.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #26
Brendon@TMS
The Motorcycle Shop

Oddometer: 252
Dawson edition? Do tell...
Facebook! facebook.com/themotorcycleshopak
Brendon@TMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #27
Spousal Unit
Concubine

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter View Post
PDakar, 'bout time you showed up.
Fite
Be nice to him Fite, no doubt he was once again picking up what is left of the bike....
07 F650GS Thumper / 11 F650GS Twin
Spousal Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #28
crash!!!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
He is a pro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spousal Unit View Post
Be nice to him Fite, no doubt he was once again picking up what is left of the bike....
I have personally watched parrishdakar (formerly Parrish69) pick up that pig many times. He could teach a course on properly crashing and repairing a BMW with only a water bottle and zip ties. That is a hard skill to acquire!
crash!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #29
vtbob OP
wanderer

Oddometer: 477
I started this thread and would like to close it on a positive note.

Justin and I have exchanged e-mails. The snafu has been identified, he has apologized to my friend with the Adventure.

That fact that he has the gumption to do this, gives me confidence that Trails End BMW will continue to improve and obtain the goals he has set.

My best wishes.

bob
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #30
Cubdriver
Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer: 643
Yyeeeaaaahhhhhh

For Mrs CD:F650GS, Yamaha TW 200, G650GS
Cubdriver is offline   Reply With Quote