Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Alaska
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #61
winterbikker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Thought I would add my few cents in regard to Trails End and oil changes. I had a minor repair done to my GSA this summer at Trails End and had no concerns, arrived early, checked that the parts were in stock and a couple of hours later ready to go.

One of our party had a different experience. After having called several days ahead and even the day before was assured that a minor service could be done on her motorcycle but upon arriving was told no way! This appeared to be a matter of Peter not knowing what Paul was doing. After much anguish however she finally did get her service work done.

What really bothered me was that even though Trails End has a huge site no self wrenching is allowed. This is really a dumb policy especially since there are many out of state riders that would really appreciate a spot to work on their bikes especially doing oil changes. In Whitehorse, Yukon Yamaha provided an area for oil changes and wrenching. This work area ,gladly set aside by the owner, was much appreciated and certainly enhanced the company's reputation. Trails End take note!!.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #62
TheSeeker
Slingin' Steel

Oddometer: 198
Cool2 Taking Notes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbikker View Post
What really bothered me was that even though Trails End has a huge site no self wrenching is allowed. This is really a dumb policy especially since there are many out of state riders that would really appreciate a spot to work on their bikes especially doing oil changes. In Whitehorse, Yukon Yamaha provided an area for oil changes and wrenching. This work area ,gladly set aside by the owner, was much appreciated and certainly enhanced the company's reputation. Trails End take note!!.

Note Taken.

As an avid tourer, I am working to set up such an area. We are not the only shop around the world that will not allow travelers to wrench on their property. With a little investigation one will find that insurance companies are mostly to blame.

We are working on this. However, if you've ever worked in a busy shop that does allow self-servicing... You would find that rarely do people have ALL the tools and supplies that they need and that OFTEN they require HELP. This slows an already maxxed out shop down even more. FOOD FOR THOUGHT!

THERE ARE ALWAYS TWO SIDES TO EVERY COIN!

We are working on the possibility of having an area for customers to do oil changes and even tire, chain and sprockets. IF we do this it will be on a TRIAL basis. We are concerned that travelers who may never come through our area again MAY not keep the area tidy and well kept. We also have several insurance hoops to jump through for this to take place. IT is on the winter agenda for discussion along with streamlining scheduling and creating a comfortable travelers lounge. Thanks for the tips.

I personally would like an on-site bar with live entertainment, a pool table and well... maybe even some "entertainers"!
TheSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #63
Ducatijim
Hopeless Poseuer!

Oddometer: 288
Just go buy an aluminium foil oven roasting pan at the supermarket( do you have these in US?Can?) and the new oil in quart bottles then do your own oil and filter near anywhere that is not too 'public' ie. after hours carparks etc?
Too bloody easy, I mean if youre goin to ride to the top of the world you should at least be able to do this( and spoon on a new tyre too while the oil drains!!)

I am no gynaecologist, but I would be happy to take a look.............................................. ......................................
Ducatijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #64
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatijim View Post
Just go buy an aluminium foil oven roasting pan at the supermarket( do you have these in US?Can?) and the new oil in quart bottles then do your own oil and filter near anywhere that is not too 'public' ie. after hours carparks etc?
Too bloody easy, I mean if youre goin to ride to the top of the world you should at least be able to do this( and spoon on a new tyre too while the oil drains!!)
And most some service gas stations/oil change shops/small garages/autopart shops will dispose of your oil for free or a small fee.
I see the point of going to a MC shop but again knowing how to do it will save you having to need any major help. Small auto garages are a good source of assistance. I carry the whole fricking shop manual with me when I travel. yes its extra space and weight but its worth it when you are on some dissolute road hundreds of miles from a tow truck.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #65
friar mike
IronButtGruver

Oddometer: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatijim View Post
Ya but thats coming from a Kiwi you guys know how to carry on I know I been down in your land hope to return sooooooooooooon
Good-Bad-Iam the guy with the gun "evil dead"
God's speed Rommel run free my dog
friar mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:23 PM   #66
Wheeldog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,640
Interesting thread. Been following it for a while and keeping my mouth shut. Just can't believe some of the BS coming from business owners.

I don't have a dog in this fight and don't know shit about running a motorcycle shop. What I do know is I have run 2 seasonal businesses. One was a winter tourism business, Mush Alaska. We did high adventure dog mushing trips into Denali in the winter......did it for 12 years. Made all our money in 3 months.......Jan, Feb and March. In the summer I worked for one of the major tour companies.

For the past 15 years I have owned Wheel Dog Trucking. We deliver Top Soil and Gravel Products in the Palmer, Wasilla area. I now make 100% of my money in the summer.

What I know from my businesses, and working for a MAJOR tour company is the customer is #1......end of story. You WORK 7 days a week for however many hours a day it takes to take care of YOUR customers. I have missed D2D for the last 3 years because I couldn't give proper service to my customers if I took off. Don't think I have run more than a couple tanks of gas in my bike this summer. If you wanna play in the summer......find a job/business to do in the winter. When someone calls and says I need this product delivered I have NEVER said no we are too busy. If our company can't handle it......I make some phone calls and find someone who can.

Not sure why the motorcycle shops can't do that too. If a dealer can't handle the business.......why not send them to someone who can. Why do you insist in screwing people over.

Adventure Cycle Works is open 24/7 in the summer. If the Fairbanks BMW shop can't handle all the business.....why don't you send them to Adventure Cycle Works?? I am sure they will take good care of your customers and you will promote good will, rather than have people rag on you about poor service like in this thread.

Same goes for the BMW shop in Anchorage........send the people you can't handle out to Friar Mike. I am sure he would appreciate the business.

This thread and lack of service to CASH paying customers totally amazes me.
Wheeldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #67
TheSeeker
Slingin' Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeldog View Post
Interesting thread. Been following it for a while and keeping my mouth shut. Just can't believe some of the BS coming from business owners.

I don't have a dog in this fight and don't know shit about running a motorcycle shop. What I do know is I have run 2 seasonal businesses. One was a winter tourism business, Mush Alaska. We did high adventure dog mushing trips into Denali in the winter......did it for 12 years. Made all our money in 3 months.......Jan, Feb and March. In the summer I worked for one of the major tour companies.

For the past 15 years I have owned Wheel Dog Trucking. We deliver Top Soil and Gravel Products in the Palmer, Wasilla area. I now make 100% of my money in the summer.

What I know from my businesses, and working for a MAJOR tour company is the customer is #1......end of story. You WORK 7 days a week for however many hours a day it takes to take care of YOUR customers. I have missed D2D for the last 3 years because I couldn't give proper service to my customers if I took off. Don't think I have run more than a couple tanks of gas in my bike this summer. If you wanna play in the summer......find a job/business to do in the winter. When someone calls and says I need this product delivered I have NEVER said no we are too busy. If our company can't handle it......I make some phone calls and find someone who can.

Not sure why the motorcycle shops can't do that too. If a dealer can't handle the business.......why not send them to someone who can. Why do you insist in screwing people over.

Adventure Cycle Works is open 24/7 in the summer. If the Fairbanks BMW shop can't handle all the business.....why don't you send them to Adventure Cycle Works?? I am sure they will take good care of your customers and you will promote good will, rather than have people rag on you about poor service like in this thread.

Same goes for the BMW shop in Anchorage........send the people you can't handle out to Friar Mike. I am sure he would appreciate the business.

This thread and lack of service to CASH paying customers totally amazes me.
Wheeldog... You are awesome! Maybe we can all learn some things from you. I guess I'm sorry that you think all I'm spewing is BS.

For your information, we have sent plenty of people over to Adventure Cycleworks. That works great if it is an older BMW or someone who doesn't require their machine being hooked up to the BMW Diagnostic computer for Warranty Reporting, Diagnostics and Service Interval recording through the MOSS computer system. This BMW required computer hookup is not only SUPER expensive, but it is slow and tedious.

Almost all of the issues we've had with not being able to keep up with service demands are on new or nearly new machines needing to be hooked up to the computer system so the customers bikes are held in good standing regarding warranty coverage with BMW.

When we can send people to Dan and Shawn to help alleviate scheduling constraints, we do. We also send them to MMW (Richard Miller) in town as well. To think that we stop trying to help when our shop is full is just silly.

I'm so glad I get to be a part of this discussion. Ultimately from Wheeldogs tone, all of us guys who are getting rich in the Motorcycle business don't know our heads from our tails and just sit around spewing BS all day.

WHEELDOG I'm really sorry you missed the last 3 D2D's because of work. I'm also sorry you only ran a couple of tanks of gas through your bike. The season isn't over yet. Maybe you should get off Advrider and get out and ride. Sounds like somebody's priorities might be a little off!
Old 09-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #68
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,600
Justin, when you run out of folks who know the business better than you and want to set you straight, give me a call.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #69
TheSeeker
Slingin' Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHuddy View Post
Justin, when you run out of folks who know the business better than you and want to set you straight, give me a call.

Ahhh the joys of being the ADVrider watchdog!

Just a few more days and all I have to do is twist the throttle! Six days from Fairbanks to Moab... It's going to be a push. When are you and Annie heading south from Helena?
Old 09-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #70
Ullr
C+ Racing

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeeker View Post
Sounds like somebody's priorities might be a little off!
Shouldn't you be working on bikes instead of waving your dick around?
Ullr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #71
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullr View Post

I don't think he is a mechanic.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #72
TheSeeker
Slingin' Steel

Cool2 Thanks for your intelligent addition...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullr View Post

Thanks for your intelligent addition to the conversation. It takes more than mechanics to run a shop. My job is Sales. And Customer Service/Customer Relations falls into my job description as well.

And getting to ride more than everyone else in the shop falls into my job description also...

But I have been known to drop oil, change tires and bolt on Touratech when our shop is slammed. Keep on slamming on us! We can take it. Then come on up with your bike and we'll go run a few miles and see what you're made of...
Old 09-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #73
Ducatijim
Hopeless Poseuer!

Oddometer: 288
Quote:

Almost all of the issues we've had with not being able to keep up with service demands are on new or nearly new machines needing to be hooked up to the computer system so the customers bikes are held in good standing regarding warranty coverage with BMW.

That sounds like the problem right there.

Well done BMW. Maybe folk heading bush should be more aware of just what their bikes require( Or ride a bike that you can service yourself in the carpark?)

We call it 'horses for courses'.

I am no gynaecologist, but I would be happy to take a look.............................................. ......................................
Ducatijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #74
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,600
Quote:
Ahhh the joys of being the ADVrider watchdog!

Just a few more days and all I have to do is twist the throttle! Six days from Fairbanks to Moab... It's going to be a push. When are you and Annie heading south from Helena?
Looks like the 14th or 15th. We are taking the back roads and seeing some sights.

Remember, you can always use our place as a way station on your rides to Amerika. Cot, shower, food, beer, tools, lift, tire changer and endless lies are all available. Maybe on your way home.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #75
friar mike
IronButtGruver

Oddometer: 4,909
some of us that are not a BMW dealer can do Diagnostics the gs 911 has been getting more and more capable that way more then just a code reader and I have one.
Good-Bad-Iam the guy with the gun "evil dead"
God's speed Rommel run free my dog
friar mike is offline   Reply With Quote