Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #76
Ullr
C+ Racing

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeeker View Post
Thanks for your intelligent addition to the conversation. It takes more than mechanics to run a shop. My job is Sales. And Customer Service/Customer Relations falls into my job description as well.

And getting to ride more than everyone else in the shop falls into my job description also...

But I have been known to drop oil, change tires and bolt on Touratech when our shop is slammed. Keep on slamming on us! We can take it. Then come on up with your bike and we'll go run a few miles and see what you're made of...
You want something constructive? When a potential customer is reminding you that the shop is open and you're in here waving your dick, doubling down on the dick waving might not be the best course of action. Ride West has what I want in stock.
Ullr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #77
AKTroy
BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer: 2,177
Always double down on the dick waving! Always!
AKTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #78
Wheeldog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeeker View Post
Wheeldog... You are awesome! Maybe we can all learn some things from you. I guess I'm sorry that you think all I'm spewing is BS.

For your information, we have sent plenty of people over to Adventure Cycleworks. That works great if it is an older BMW or someone who doesn't require their machine being hooked up to the BMW Diagnostic computer for Warranty Reporting, Diagnostics and Service Interval recording through the MOSS computer system. This BMW required computer hookup is not only SUPER expensive, but it is slow and tedious.

Almost all of the issues we've had with not being able to keep up with service demands are on new or nearly new machines needing to be hooked up to the computer system so the customers bikes are held in good standing regarding warranty coverage with BMW.

When we can send people to Dan and Shawn to help alleviate scheduling constraints, we do. We also send them to MMW (Richard Miller) in town as well. To think that we stop trying to help when our shop is full is just silly.

I'm so glad I get to be a part of this discussion. Ultimately from Wheeldogs tone, all of us guys who are getting rich in the Motorcycle business don't know our heads from our tails and just sit around spewing BS all day.

WHEELDOG I'm really sorry you missed the last 3 D2D's because of work. I'm also sorry you only ran a couple of tanks of gas through your bike. The season isn't over yet. Maybe you should get off Advrider and get out and ride. Sounds like somebody's priorities might be a little off!
Glad to hear you are sending people off to other shops. I think that is GREAT!! BUT wondering why travelers are complaining about not being able to get a 6,000 mile service. Or do they have to be "hooked up" to get that???

Never said anything about how much money you make and don't care. Not sure where you are getting that from. Never said you don't know your heads from your tails either. I hear you have some very good mechanics up there. Just said you don't know much/nothing about customer service and so far you haven't proved me wrong. Ok.....now is the time to prove me wrong and announce you will open on Sunday next summer and will honor appointments travelers make!

BMW created a nice monopoly for it's dealers with those "SUPER expensive BMW Diagnostic computers".....they don't sell them to anyone else so people HAVE to come to a dealer.....right??? You don't HAVE to have any better customer service skills than the government.....customers have no choice.....take it or leave it. And people think Harley has the best "Marketing System", theirs sucks compared to BMW. I think that whoever thought that up must be a genius.

Don't feel sorry for me and my priorities aren't screwed up. The wife and I LOVE to ride. As I mentioned I make 100% of my money in the summer and work my ass off 7 days a week to keep my CUSTOMERS HAPPY. We spend the winter at our place in AZ and ride most every day while you guys are freezing your azz off up here. I figure that is a fair trade for missing D2D and not much riding up here....eh?? What do you do in the winter???

I must complement you for coming on the forums......most dealers don't do that. Then again.....there is probably a good reason.....eh???
Wheeldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #79
HayDuchessLives
Loquita

Oddometer: 1,093
GPS or user failure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
.......... I had about 9 days experience using the GPS at that point. I know the GPS is perfect and never leads you astray.
Here is published proof that you can't always rely on your GPS to safely get you to your destination.

http://www.adn.com/2012/08/23/259792...off-ferry.html

I wonder if this guy has blonde hair?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808795
HayDuchessLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #80
Brendon@TMS
The Motorcycle Shop

Oddometer: 253
His cat died which takes the humor out of that story for me. Always sorry when someone loses a pet.

Jesus, this thread has become quite heated!

I think there are a few key assumptions being thrown around that need to be identified. It seems as though people might be under the impression that those of us in the powersport industry aren't doing everything in our capacity for our customers, or that we aren't catering to every need in our power. WE ARE. I know the boys up north are, and we in town are too. Independent or not, believe me, we're busting our butts because we like what we're doing regarding product and service!

I take great pride in taking care of those traveling, be it from the south side of town, or the tip of Maine. Making someone's day (aka exceeding their expectations) is one of the most rewarding feelings.

I'm not here to tell anyone how to run their company because I have my own to worry about. Given where Trails End was and where it's headed, I have every bit of faith in my BMW colleague and I know they're making changes for the better.

If anyone needs me I'll be restocking tires/oil filters/air filters/spark plugs/levers/chains/sprockets/tubes/etc...
Facebook! facebook.com/themotorcycleshopak
Brendon@TMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:11 PM   #81
Wheeldog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendon@TMS View Post
His cat died which takes the humor out of that story for me. Always sorry when someone loses a pet.

Jesus, this thread has become quite heated!

I think there are a few key assumptions being thrown around that need to be identified. It seems as though people might be under the impression that those of us in the powersport industry aren't doing everything in our capacity for our customers, or that we aren't catering to every need in our power. WE ARE. I know the boys up north are, and we in town are too. Independent or not, believe me, we're busting our butts because we like what we're doing regarding product and service!

I take great pride in taking care of those traveling, be it from the south side of town, or the tip of Maine. Making someone's day (aka exceeding their expectations) is one of the most rewarding feelings.

I'm not here to tell anyone how to run their company because I have my own to worry about. Given where Trails End was and where it's headed, I have every bit of faith in my BMW colleague and I know they're making changes for the better.

If anyone needs me I'll be restocking tires/oil filters/air filters/spark plugs/levers/chains/sprockets/tubes/etc...

It boils down to customer service.I own a trucking company. We don't do our own service/mechanical work. ALL of our mechanical work in done by Fleet and Equipment in Big Lake. They have the best mechanics in the area.

Just like your business......with all the gravel trucks running in the summer....they are extremely busy. In the winter things slow down for them. Not much going on. They keep the same staff on winter and summer.

We take our trucks in there for service every 250 hours on the meter.....which is every 4 to 6 weeks. For a regular service they like a weeks notice.....no problem. However, when one of my trucks has a problem between services I just give them a call and explain the problem and send the truck right over. When the truck arrives, there is a "NASCAR type pit crew" there waiting for them. They get the truck back running "right now". If the truck can't make it to the shop...they send a service truck out...."right now." They take such good care of my trucks, I have only had to call their service truck out 4 times in the past 15 years.

I don't have a clue what goes on behind the scenes or how they do it....but they do. They close Saturday at noon and are closed on Sunday. They have a mechanic with a service truck ready to go 24/7. I have his number. Did I mention......I have been EXTREMELY happy with their service.

I don't know what it takes to run a motorcycle shop. BUT I get sick of listening about how busy dealers are in the summer and can't take proper care of their customers. That's why I called BS on the shop in Fairbanks. He doesn't know much about costumer service.

Please note.......My wife tried to buy a new BMW in your shop. The salesman kept talking to me instead of her.....pretty much pissed her off. On top of that you guys don't allow "test rides" on new bikes. I am not going to spend a penny on a bike we can't test ride. We went to NM and bought a BMW from a dealer down there. We were allowed to test ride it as long as we wanted....the wife loved it and we bought it.

Bottom line is I hear you guys whining about how busy you are in the summer and can't handle all the business. I am calling BS on that too. I don't know how to run a motorcycle shop anymore than I know how to run a trucking mechanical shop. I have seen it done and know it CAN be done. You guys just haven't figured out how to do it....or don't care.

BTW....Whats the deal with no test rides on new bikes at your place???
Wheeldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:47 AM   #82
Ullr
C+ Racing

Oddometer: 261
I went to TMS this summer with money burning a hole in my pocket.

Do you have a GS Rallye? No
Can you get me one? No but we have a triple black
I want a white one? You can paint it
You can't get me a Rallye? No and nobody has one you have to wait until next year

Funny that they got one in Fairbanks soon after and every dealer I call in the states has one ready to go.
Ullr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:23 AM   #83
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,317
TMS doesn't allow test rides either. Only shop that seems to throw they at you is HOH. I would like to see demo days at either shop as I hate asking people to ride thier bike. Oh and a twin KTM dealer in A-town.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:19 AM   #84
Boulder Ed
Bin Ridin

Oddometer: 765
Rally availability south of Canada..

You can't get me a Rallye? No and nobody has one you have to wait until next year

Funny that they got one in Fairbanks soon after and every dealer I call in the states has one ready to go.[/QUOTE]

There are tons of Rally's down here. My brother in law bought a highly farkled one 3 weeks ago at a 10% off list discount in Colorado. Not exactly a rare bike...

"Terrorizing small animals on the road since 1971"
Boulder Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #85
AJ990R
motorcycle guy

Oddometer: 164
Old 09-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #86
Brendon@TMS
The Motorcycle Shop

Oddometer: 253
We don't and haven't allowed test rides because we sell new units. If you're buying a $20k+ motorcycle and you see 50/100/150 miles on it, that's not new. That's been our logic regarding test rides. We've been around since 1972 and it's worked since then. Is it the way to proceed in the future? It's being discussed...

2013 KTM Twins are being released in Jan/Feb, expect something to happen...

When someone buys a new bike, and I'm sure Trails End is the same way, we cater hand and foot to them. If there's a problem, we're fixing regardless. If a customer decides to spend money in our place of business, you better believe I'll do everything in my power to take care of them.

HOWEVER, if someone from out of town shows up with no notice demanding service when we're taking care of people who have waited patiently for their work to be done, guess what...we aren't going to drop at a moments notice. If all the person needs is a pair of eyes on his tire, that's no big deal, but if they show up demanding 30k services with NO lead time, that's more of a challenge to our small service department.

My point here is no one from our shop, and I'm sure Trails End will agree, is complaining about how busy we are! That's ludicrous to complain about TOO MUCH business. We are simply saying that good help is damn hard to find, and in order to keep quality high, sometimes we're forced to work with less, meaning we can't always take care of the customer as well as we want to.

Does that mean we're bitching about how busy we are? NO, absolutely not, we love it, and I'm sure Trails End is the same. We're so lucky to have great customers like you all out there both in state and out, in country and abroad!

I would love to have a "nascar" (from Jeff Gordon's team, they're the best) style pit crew, but I have what I have, and I stand behind my business 110%, but I'm always looking to improve!

Last two points:

Regarding upsetting your wife, I'm very sorry. It's a male dominated industry and that can produce some unwanted stereotypes. If you come back in the shop (and I understand if you don't) you'll see that salesman doesn't work here any longer...

R1200GS Rallye: We had one, had it at the show, eventually sold it at the end of May. We had if for more than enough time, but we only got one. BMW has changed the way they allocate bikes in favor of pure volume. It's ridiculous because it impedes a shops growth by giving favors to those who already have volume. If we're killing it for AK, that's a drop in the bucket for any large dealer down south, thus preventing us to get the units we want.

It sounds like you got a smart ass answer to your question, and I'm sorry. Sometimes we jest, and that can turn south. Sometimes our frustration with BMW corporate can come out in less than professional answers.

Lastly, as far as getting one from another dealer, with our other brands its way easy, but BMW is a bit more of a challenge. That said a dealer trade is possible, and if you ever need a unit we don't have, I'll work my short statured rump off finding it for you. If I can't get it, I'll tell you where to go.
Facebook! facebook.com/themotorcycleshopak
Brendon@TMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #87
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,351
Demo's

BMW has a Demo program. Many dealers participate in it. Bike gets x amount of miles on it (2500) and it sells for a discounted price. Our dealer usually has the latest greatest on the lot outside for demo rides. Pickup late on a Saturday return when they open on Tuesday. Several hundred miles is a real test ride!
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #88
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,471
Thumb

Trails End has participated in the test ride program, for some bikes at least. I and a few others I know have taken test rides on bikes there. I rode a F800GS and I know others that rode a SS1000R, a K1600GT and a F650GS.

By the way, if you want to pee on Justin's leg again you should wait a week or so. He will be competing in the GS Trophy Challenge qualifier in Moab, UT. Spousal unit and I will be down there watching Justin as well as Hacky show their stuff. I know you all wish them both success.
KHuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #89
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Oddometer: 2,089
Good luck in Moab, Justin. Kind of wish I had the time to get over there, just to shake your hand. Seems like if its going to be a tough challenge, you got plenty of practice in with this thread

Both dealerships did us well in 2009, when 4 of us came up there. Dont tell anyone, but i remember some British guys wrenching on their bikes in the parking lot on Potter. And, my buddy did the strip down on his GS to get tires changed in Fairbanks, in the parking lot. Didnt think about it at the time, but we got tires changed even tho we walked in off the street.

Being in a service company myself, I do like the idea of the shops being open 7 days a week to meet the customer's needs. But it will definitely be an issue finding staff to cover those days.

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
2011 Calif Dreaming , 2013 Mexico
rgiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #90
TheSeeker
Slingin' Steel

Oddometer: 198
Laugh Struggling towards the GS Trophy Qualifier...

Hey guys... I'm going to have to resuming waving my dick around a little later...

Currently I'm in BC, Canada trying to make it to the GS Trophy West Coast Qualifier in Moab, UT. I got set back a day and a half when I developed a nasty infection in my elbow! Most likely from all my dick waving! It was looking like I would need to turn back for Alaska yesterday but some improvement has me pushing on today.

They are thinking more that it may be Burcitis (sp?) now. They've wrapped my IV up so I can get a motorcycle glove over it and push on to Prince George. I'm feeling much better today. The Canuck Docs want me to get IV antibiotics for a bit longer until the swelling and redness shows a more accelerated retreat.

No travel insurance. Highly unlikely I'll be covered under my current health insurance. This will be a huge kick in the financial ding ding for sure.

But Moab is still almost in sight, so I'm sticking to optimism now. Getting on the bike for a 4 hour push to P.G. will re-evaluate then.

Keeping more up to date posts here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Trail...35675129806997

and tonight I hope to add to the blog: www.trailsendbmw.blogspot.com

I also have a spotwalla real time map going: http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?...e50500417d7778

Oh and Brendon... Thanks for picking up the ball on this thread for now. I appreciate the help.

Trail's End has a Rallye Edition R1200GS on the floor and ready to go... just send me an email: trailsendbmw@gmail.com We've got a nice selection for anyone looking to stare at their new bike all winter long and farkle the nuts out of it!

Happy Bitching everyone! (whoops that must be the meds talking...) I'll be back to do some more dick waving after Moab. We got a long cold winter ahead of us in Fairbanks. Plenty of time to keep this thread going.
TheSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote