Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Alaska
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #91
Brendon@TMS
The Motorcycle Shop

Oddometer: 255
Anytime, dealers have to stick together!

Good luck!
Facebook! facebook.com/themotorcycleshopak
Brendon@TMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:55 PM   #92
interiorak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Brendon:

Good answer . .. and true. I can vouch for that fact. When the Outpost couldn't find the Beemer i was looking for in a timely manner . . . said you had 'em in stock.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #93
SEWERMAN
Mosquito Killer

Oddometer: 41
I'll add to this...

So I was about to post a new thread asking for some advice and came across this thread:

I have no experience with Trail End so I can't say a thing about them but I've had plenty of experience with TMS and can't say I've been to impressed. There maybe some great mechanics there but I have to say the customer services is lacking and the prices do not reflect the service I receive. The good thing that has come out of my experiences with TMS is that I've learned to do a lot of my own maintenance but the time to do it is always an issue which is why I'd like to pay someone to do it for me until this year...
This summer I called the fore mentioned shop 6 weeks in advance, made an appointment and told them what parts I needed to have ordered to do the repairs I requested...long and short of it is that there was a total failure in their system. The had no record of my appointment when I showed up, no parts were ordered , I had a list of things I wanted done and it was 1 month before D2D. They had my bike 3 weeks, someone kept forgetting to get around to it, or was it the parts still weren't order after my bike sat there for 2 weeks or was it some BS story about a manager leaving and no one could get their stuff together...? Well I finally got my bike back with half my list covered, a botched job on my heated grips (which I really don't want to go back and have them try again) and I had to do back flips to get a 50$ discount which I suggest should be called an inconvience credit. Oh, and did I mention that I bought my bike from them too.
So my original question; Does anyone have any suggestions for a reputable BMW mechanic in town? Feel free to PM me.
SEWERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:56 AM   #94
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,262
[QUOTE=SEWERMAN;19627778] ...Does anyone have any suggestions .... QUOTE]I probably shouldnít say anything but ...
I like to do my own work. If I screw something up or take a shortcut I usually know what it is & can take care of it. But if I had to farm it out the first thing I would do is to have all the parts I need in hand. Call or go in & order them & pick them up yourself.
Yeah, it does sound like somebody at TMS dropped the ball there. I see an awful lot of bikes go thru that shop in the summer so I wouldnít think that that would be typical. As we all know we mostly hear of things that went wrong but not the the run of the mill things that just go on as they should.
Iím sure that TMS has some competent mechís but I donít know them all. Iím real picky. I want to be able to talk directly to the guy thatís going to be working on anything of mine. Since I donít know the other mechs at TMS there are, or were, only two that I would want working on my bike. One of them, M.L., is retired now. : (
If you donít want to take your bike back there for work I would try Friar Mike. No, he canít spell or punctuate worth a damn but he donít talk that way. Sometimes I can even figure out what he writes.
I do know him to be a straight shooter. Well, he claims to be anyway, never actually seen him shoot anything.
But I have known him long enough to trust him to be honest & straight forward in his dealings. Sometimes maybe more straightforward than you might want to hear. Fine with me. And you would be dealing with the owner & sole mech of his shop, there ainít any middlemen. I like that.
Or you could chalk it up to a one time screw up & give TMS another shot. Ainít nobody perfect & like all the bike shops it gets pretty hectic in the summer.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #95
Brendon@TMS
The Motorcycle Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEWERMAN View Post
So I was about to post a new thread asking for some advice and came across this thread:

I have no experience with Trail End so I can't say a thing about them but I've had plenty of experience with TMS and can't say I've been to impressed. There maybe some great mechanics there but I have to say the customer services is lacking and the prices do not reflect the service I receive. The good thing that has come out of my experiences with TMS is that I've learned to do a lot of my own maintenance but the time to do it is always an issue which is why I'd like to pay someone to do it for me until this year...
This summer I called the fore mentioned shop 6 weeks in advance, made an appointment and told them what parts I needed to have ordered to do the repairs I requested...long and short of it is that there was a total failure in their system. The had no record of my appointment when I showed up, no parts were ordered , I had a list of things I wanted done and it was 1 month before D2D. They had my bike 3 weeks, someone kept forgetting to get around to it, or was it the parts still weren't order after my bike sat there for 2 weeks or was it some BS story about a manager leaving and no one could get their stuff together...? Well I finally got my bike back with half my list covered, a botched job on my heated grips (which I really don't want to go back and have them try again) and I had to do back flips to get a 50$ discount which I suggest should be called an inconvience credit. Oh, and did I mention that I bought my bike from them too.
So my original question; Does anyone have any suggestions for a reputable BMW mechanic in town? Feel free to PM me.
PM'd

And sorry to have let you down, hopefully I can make it up to you!
Old 09-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #96
motorbike_mike1
Gearhead

Oddometer: 169
motorcycle shops

People tend to get into the motorcycle business out of a passion for motorcycles. Not until they do the begin to realize it's a lot more work than anticipated. They find themselves helping other people to ride and Well sacrifice their own ridding. For some this becomes a passion and they do well in the motorcycle industry. The ones that do not Make their passion helping other people end up leaving the motorcycle biz. I've seen the people at The Motorcycle Shop Work late into the evening, Come in on their days off, Invite total strangers Broke down Into their own homes at their their own expense. Little things That mean the world to people thousands of miles from home. It's sad But there is some truth In the old saying .You can't please everyone. I assure you they want to please everyone. Hey I'm planning a trip It's going to be a couple years 15,000 miles Key west, to Prudhoe, via a zig zag through the Midwest. Plan on hitting Dawson for Fighters yearly rally. Can I show up at quarter to 5 on Saturday Get some new tires and a oil and filter change, might need some brake pads to. Don't worry ill order and pay for everything in advance so you are sure to have what I need. I don't want my failure to plan something out become your problem or be your fault.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:15 PM   #97
ptero
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Pissed Oh no you di-ent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbike_mike1 View Post
Hey I'm planning a trip It's going to be a couple years 15,000 miles Key west, to Prudhoe, via a zig zag through the Midwest. Plan on hitting Dawson for Fighters yearly rally.
RALLY?
WTF?

Ride Hard or Stay Home
ptero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #98
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptero View Post
RALLY?
Yeah, Petro, deny it all you want but it is a big, organized, committee run RALLY now.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:14 AM   #99
motorbike_mike1
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptero View Post
RALLY?
WTF?

I know I know, I still remember the very first one, planned by three or four guys and I think Fighter ended up going by himself. Any event that has morphed into an annual event and can sell tee shirts, hats and other. trinkets has transcended a simple ride / gathering.who would have thunk it?
Old 10-01-2012, 06:20 AM   #100
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Yeah, Petro, deny it all you want but it is a big, organized, committee run RALLY now.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:00 AM   #101
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbike_mike1 View Post

You can't please everyone.
A company makes some restructuring and announces to all employees they now only have to work Tuesdays.

Someone raises their hand and asks "Every Tuesday?"
Old 10-01-2012, 07:11 AM   #102
motorbike_mike1
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
A company makes some restructuring and announces to all employees they now only have to work Tuesdays.

Someone raises their hand and asks "Every Tuesday?"
Long as its topless Tuesdays count me in. I see you're from Atlanta. I'm in Atlanta right now on forest Parkway delivering at del Monte. Hauld this load up from Laredo Texas.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #103
akrider
mild adventurer

Oddometer: 1,722
No Problem

Not a worry for you Mike. You can mount your own tires, change your own oil and filter, and do the brakes on your old lift.

You did keep the master key to the shop when you left didn't you?

Ignoranus-def: someone who is stupid and an asshole.
akrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #104
motorbike_mike1
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrider View Post
Not a worry for you Mike. You can mount your own tires, change your own oil and filter, and do the brakes on your old lift.

You did keep the master key to the shop when you left didn't you?
Nope I didn't keep any keys. But I still remember where everybody lives LOL.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #105
Brendon@TMS
The Motorcycle Shop

You're welcome anytime Mike, just give me a few mins notice!

That's the beauty of living close to the shop, can be here in 5.5 mins if need be...