Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2012, 02:50 AM   #16
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by deguoren View Post
Well in any case you earn 3 points (collected 18 and say goodbye to your license for at least 1 month)
Plus a fine somewhere between 50 and 100 Euro.
But if you meet the right man of law and order they might even impound your bike (common case for that would be a noisy exhaust)
Clutch/Brake levers are safety critical items, so they might impound the bike or forbid you to ride on.

If you have an approved bolt on, there is the approval number somewhere on the item.
Here an example for the "KBA number"
http://www.powermint.de/images/artic...fb46f49c_5.jpg

In my understanding that is not entirely correct.

The brake lever is part of a system that is relevant for safety, therefore any change has to be approved, either with a generally valid ABE certificate, or by individual testing by the TÜV.

The clutch lever is not considered relevant for safety, therefore you can change the lever with no problems.

That being said, I have lots of "illegal" mods and the levers are the last thing I worry about when I am being stopped by cops.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #17
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,116
Quote:
Well in any case you earn 3 points (collected 18 and say goodbye to your license for at least 1 month)
Plus a fine somewhere between 50 and 100 Euro.
But if you meet the right man of law and order they might even impound your bike (common case for that would be a noisy exhaust)
Clutch/Brake levers are safety critical items, so they might impound the bike or forbid you to ride on.

If you have an approved bolt on, there is the approval number somewhere on the item.
Here an example for the "KBA number"
http://www.powermint.de/images/artic...fb46f49c_5.jpg
Thanks ... so if a certificate has been issued there would be a KBA number on the part somewhere?

Is this the same certificate the same as "homologation" ?
(or however it is spelled?)

JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #18
Hookapelli
Adventure-Junkie

Oddometer: 2,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manventure View Post
I have little hands and can't really manage with 2 fingers. Besides Wunderlich who is it that makes good adjustable levers - starts with a P or an S I think.........
The nice thing about little hands- it makes your penis look huge!!!
Old 07-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #19
Manventure
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Shhhhhhhsh. Don't tell my wife my secret :-)
Manventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #20
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
That being said, I have lots of "illegal" mods and the levers are the last thing I worry about when I am being stopped by cops.

Do tell....

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:54 AM   #21
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post

Do tell....

HF

Well it starts with WP forks, KTM triples, Brembo/Braking brake system, Excel wheels, modified injection,.....

Austria is even worse than Germany to get something non-stock approved, so I don't even bother any more. As long as it's professionally done and not dangerous or annoying to the public (e.g. loud exhausts) the cops will generally either not be able to tell or not do anything about it. Of course in the rare case of an accident where other people are involved, I will have the burden of proof that the modified equipment - if they notice it - was not the cause, but that should be feasible so it is a risk I am willing to accept.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:59 AM   #22
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
I don't get cutting down (or fitting shorter) clutch levers - it denies you the option to ever use more than two fingers should you need/wish to.

As the current clutch lever doesn't actually require superhuman strength to pull with two fingers, a cheaper idea might be to check the cable is lubed and adjusted, check the clutch spring is tensioned properly, position the lever correctly, keep the oil fresh, and go to Walmart (or a firearms store, or a good gym) and buy a $5 hand grip strengthening spring.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #23
deguoren
该出手时就出手

Oddometer: 155
Homologation
means if one EU country e.g. Italy give a piece of equipment their stamp of approval (E number) the other countries have to accept this as well.
So some people/companies might choose to apply for an approval in a country where the rules are approached in a more relaxed manner (read: NOT Germany) but thanks to ECE homologation rules the piece of equipment will be legal in Germany too.

So either you have something with a Germany approval - ABE / KBA number or an "E number"
with the E numbers the number after E only shows the country where the part received the approval e.g. E3 for Italy.
Do what you love, and do it often. If you don’t like something, change it. If you don’t like your job, quit. Travel often; getting lost will help you find yourself. Some opportunities only come once; seize them. Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them, so go out and start creating. Live your dream, and wear your passion. Life is short."
deguoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #24
Rigalo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNMAN View Post
I just cut mine down. Works great. Wunderlich levers are awesome but $179 per is too high for me.
I've cut my clutch lever in half as well. Perfect. Brake does not 'pinch' my fingers, so it's OK. Might cut it as well. takes some time to getting use to, but now i'ts perfect.
Rigalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #25
Rigalo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider View Post
I don't get cutting down (or fitting shorter) clutch levers - it denies you the option to ever use more than two fingers should you need/wish to.
After pinching my ring finger flat when arresting the bike with clutch in, quite a few times, I can now arrest it without pinching my ring finger. Off course, pointless if you don't drop you bike much, but in my case, seriously cool not to squish them! Nope, clutch on this bike is rather soft, so that is OK.

Cutting them off with hack saw just to look cool.....? Not quite.
Rigalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #26
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Homologation
means if one EU country e.g. Italy give a piece of equipment their stamp of approval (E number) the other countries have to accept this as well.
So some people/companies might choose to apply for an approval in a country where the rules are approached in a more relaxed manner (read: NOT Germany) but thanks to ECE homologation rules the piece of equipment will be legal in Germany too.

So either you have something with a Germany approval - ABE / KBA number or an "E number"
with the E numbers the number after E only shows the country where the part received the approval e.g. E3 for Italy.
Thanks for helping educate a yank
Old 07-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #27
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer: 1,638
For someone with small hands, glove size 8, I found this technique to be very strong and effective. Plus the strongest connection that you can make with the thumb and any finger is the index finger. So I hold on with with those two, no fear of letting go, and pull the clutch with the middle and ring finger. Something I learned riding Baja.

You'll always have a hold of the bars as you slip the clutch! That's Two Finger Clutch Operation!
Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #28
mustardfj40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Came from mountain biking, it has been always 2 fingers (index and middle) for me. It's natural when switching the left hand from controlling the front brake on the mtb to controlling the clutch on the GS.
mustardfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:39 AM   #29
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Well, each to their own I guess. Those Wunderlich levers look pretty well-made: I have their vario gear shifter (to get my Size 15 foot under) and it's a spectacular piece of engineering. I kept it in the pack for three months on my coffee table just to look at it.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:06 AM   #30
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider View Post
Well, each to their own I guess. Those Wunderlich levers look pretty well-made: I have their vario gear shifter (to get my Size 15 foot under) and it's a spectacular piece of engineering. I kept it in the pack for three months on my coffee table just to look at it.
It is quite elegant ... but mine only lasted a couple days on the workbench before being installed