Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2006, 06:47 PM   #151
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
You are going to like the F650gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5oh!
I rode a couple of friends bikes as a kid but never took the chance of bringing on home to the wrath of the folks. Fast forward a bunch of "responsible" years including 15 of marrage. Wanted a bike again and the missus was unsure, bought the wife a scooter to commute, she loved it and it opened the door to riding again.
I pick up the 650gs next month. I waited 20+ years I can wait another month, Ya right!

Hope to meet as many of you as possible!

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:12 PM   #152
LNERDR
El Tigre

Oddometer: 23
Thumb Started at 38!

First bike Kawa. VN 750. Went through the Harley stage last year. FTS!!!Upgraded to a Triumph Tiger this year. Late start was ok. I have slowed down and I think I have enjoyed it more because I have more time.
LNERDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:29 PM   #153
cagiva9042000
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thumb

For my 40th birthday i received a msf safety course certificate from a friend who was looking for someone to ride with. Never owned a bike before, but gave it alot of thought before buying. Not wanting to trade up quickly I purchased a new 2000 cagiva gran canyon. Beautiful, fast and fun. I still have the bike but am going to sell her soon to try something a little different. Only 4000 miles since new, and still looks and rides that way. Ride it almost every day, but the commute is just to short.
I wish I had started earlier, it is the most relaxing/peacuful moments of my schedule.

I hope my children start sooner than I did.
cagiva9042000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:11 PM   #154
2dumbnotto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
I am 32 years old and I had about three hours on the dirt and not much more than that on the street. My first big slug of riding was the Reno 200 in '05. Busted my face up bad about 7 miles in on the first day and ended up drinking my own blood until i thought i had just run out of it. I finished the first day and the second falling off or down at least half a dozen times but each time I got up carried on and now i crave it like nothing ever in my life. Screw methadone if you want to clean up junkies buy them a dual-sport.
2dumbnotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:33 AM   #155
Thanatos
Thanatos

Oddometer: 2
Bought my first bike at 39, after riding a scooter for 3 years (my wife WOULD NOT let me have a bike to begin with, after I rode a scooter with no probems for those years she got a little more tolerant). Bought a 2000 Aprilia Pegaso 650 and still have it. I love it, but the seats kinda high for me (I'm 5'10")

Thanatos
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:16 PM   #156
Georgiapeach
Adventurer-Lite

Oddometer: 25
My husband got me started when I was 45 (year 2000) He said I had to go to MSF class which I did during August of that year (never take the class in August in Houston).
First bike was a 2001 Honda VLX 600,
From there I have had
my husband's 1999 Honda Magna 750,
2002 VTX 1800c
2003 Honda VTX 1300s
2005 Suzuki DR-Z 400S
2006 Kawasaki Z750S
2006 BMW f650gs.

I still own the Suzuki and the BMW. I have no regrets about starting at 45 except for the arthritis I sometimes experience (that's why the Kawi was sold). I can spend all day on the BMW and on the DR-Z, so no real problems yet. I am looking forward to the day our son turns 18, heads off to college and my husband and I can start taking some trips together. I will be 55 by then, but am working on keeping myself young enough to enjoy this sport for a few more years to come.
Georgiapeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 04:24 PM   #157
sas
Thumper Girl

Oddometer: 777
Mid-life 'crisis'

I'm 41 and just starting out. Talked about it early in the realtionship with my SO, got pregnant, got pregnant again, started talking about it again, worried about the kids if I got myself maimed in any way, got pregnant again. Figured out what was causing that. Fixed the problem. Now I can finally learn.
Take possession of my 99 BMW f650 on Tuesday.
sas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:13 PM   #158
afweinie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
My mom was riding bikes before I was born!

Perhaps I should have hit my parents up for one when I was in high school, oh well too late now.

At the ripe old age of 31 I bought my first "real" motorcycle. I had a mini-bike as a kid. Abuddy at work had his old dirt bike: A very well maintained 89 YZ250WR dirt only 2-stroke that he bought new. The only problem I've had with it is a stripped drain plug that I knew about when I got it. I'm in the process of getting this resolved again as the first repair did not hold. Once it is done I plan to sell it and the wife's old car to fund a good down payment on a street legal bike.

Another friend of mine bought a KLR650 a couple of years ago and has since put nearly as much money into it as he paid for it (used less than 200 on the clock!). So one day he calls me up and said he went to the KTM dealer and took the demo 9-fiddy Adventure for a ride. He bought it on the spot. Then he turns to me and says " So, when are you gonna get your license?" I had my permit the very next day. He even lets me use his KLR to take the MSF advanced rider course. I was alittle concerned with taking the advanced course since my street experience was somewhat limited. I've ridden three street bikes so far:
* 80-something Kaw 440LTD, I think, back in the early 90's

* 80-something Honda 700 Sabre that I wanted to buy from my step-dad (and actually got my permit but it lapsed when I could not get the bike 1000 miles away)

* 92 Honda Nighthawk 750; that one actually scared me a little, seemed quite powerful to me

He assured me that the dirt bike gave me the basic skills and he took me out on the KLR a couple times to get familliar with it. In hindsight there is no better bike to take the course on than a dual sport machine. I posted the highest score out of my class on the test at the end to boot.

Now all I need to do is get my own bike so I can quit borrowing his. Topping my long list are:
#1...05/06 Triumph Speed Triple, not a D.S. but way cool and somehat pricey for me

KTM 640 Adventue, not sure what new availability is and are kind of pricey

Kawasaki KLR650, needs a lot but such a good deal

Wee-Strom, looks like it has a lot of potential
afweinie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 12:51 AM   #159
Northern Rob
Con Brio!

Oddometer: 605
Another mid-life crisis logging in

I've been nuts about bikes since I was a kid, and my family, friends, girlfriends etc...always talked me down with all the death and maiming bike stories.

Then 911 happened, and I said "what the hell am I playing safe and boring for"? Why should I have regrets if I get hit by the beer truck tomorrow? So I changed a bunch of stuff. Time to enjoy life!

Changed careers, got a bike (kept my wife and kids though!).

Started on a Suzuki GS500, moved to a Honda ST1100....
Now I'm lusting for some kind of dual sport/adventure bike to further expand my horizons.
Northern Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:10 AM   #160
buechee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
My first bike was/is a zx9-r. I felt good. I always wanted a bike and in 02 I got one for myself as a birthday gift. I felt that I was ready and mature enough to ride and not do crazy shit. Love it and plan to get another bike this year. My wife will be getting her first bike I hope. That way we can ride side-by-side.
buechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:43 AM   #161
Holmes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Hmmm... I'm 37 years old. First bike I ever rode was my uncle's 20+ year old Honda 250 enduro, I was maybe 19 at the time. Never took it out on the street, just rode around their property on dirt roads for a few days. I thought it was fun, but I never really got the 'bug'.

3 or 4 years ago we went to visit the in-laws for Christmas and I noticed a very cool looking old bike sitting behind their garage. Turned out to be a 1976 Yamaha XS650 in fairly immaculate condition, less than 5k miles on it. My father-in-law had sort of inherited it and was getting ready to start riding again.

Well, all it took was a couple of hours riding that bike on some west Texas back roads and I was completely hooked. Six months later he bought a new Harley and I ended up with the XS650. GREAT bike. Road that thing all over northern Colorado for a year and a half, then picked up a 1973 Honda CB750 (also in great shape) so my wife and I could ride together. Spent another year or so with those two bikes, just sold the CB750 and picked up an 06' V-Strom 650 (awesome bike, I've put about 2k miles on). Going from 1970's UJM's to something modern like the DL650 was kind of a revelation - bikes have come a loooooong way.

As far as what the rest of my family thinks of it - I was always the 'crazy one' so nobody really batted an eye Trying to save some $$ so my wife can get something newer - probably an F650GS. Going to hang on to that old XS650 though...
Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:32 PM   #162
feliz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
I learned to ride at 63, three years ago. I've had a few bikes since but the one of interest on this forum would be my wee strom, also have a Ural Patrol, and just ordered a F650 GS which I'll receive in three or four months. Just sold a fully restored 70 Norton Commando when I received an offer I couldn't refuse.

Great forum, I've followed it for years but just recently signed up. Regards.
feliz
feliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 01:55 AM   #163
spike13
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
does this mean 30 is old? LOL

i got my license years ago, but my first bike recently at 34. no real riding experience other than that.

i took the msf class twice, once to get my license and then again after i bought the bike. currently still in the putting around the neighborhood phase, and loving it. In a few years i hope to go on an adventure ride. to that end i'm taking the msf dirt bike class in a few weeks.
spike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:00 AM   #164
Highcountry
Winds up buying the gas

Oddometer: 515
Ha!

My girlfriend had been riding for years, and thought I should get a bike.
Nah, I said. Well, maybe. Eventually.
I helped her out with a few bills, and she owed me a moderate chunk of cash. She said, "I'll get you a bike to pay you back."
Of course, the smokin' deal on a used bike came along before she had the money, she set up the guy comin' over, and I wrote a check. Suddenly I had a bike.
Never thought I could find something new at my age that I love so much. It's absolutely my favorite thing to do.
I owe her, big time. Although she still owes me most of that money,
Highcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:55 AM   #165
mistercindy
In a state of equilibrium

Oddometer: 2,905
Great thread! I'm glad it got resurrected!

The following statement is true.

The above statement is false.
mistercindy is offline   Reply With Quote