Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2006, 09:28 AM   #166
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,270
46, been riding for 4 years now. Rode dirt bikes in my 20's and bought a Honda XR600 that I got my motorcycle license with but only rode on the street for a couple weeks before selling. First street bike 4 years ago was a Yamaha V-Star 650, then Honda Shadow ACE 750, Kawasaki MeanStreak 1600, and finally BMW R1200RT. Still have the MeanStreak and RT, trying to decide which one is the keeper. Wife says keep both.

And OH yeah we have a stable of dirt bikes that the kids ride and I still insist on trying to ride, but keep hurting myself.

My wife got on the back of the Yamaha twice, and on the second trip said "This is boring back here, if we're going to do this motorcycle thing, I want my own bike!" Her progression: Honda Shadow Spirit 750, BMW F650GS, BMW R1200RT, Kawasaki Ninja 650R.
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:32 AM   #167
sas
Thumper Girl

Oddometer: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
" Her progression: Honda Shadow Spirit 750, BMW F650GS, BMW R1200RT, Kawasaki Ninja 650R.
How does she like the Ninja 650R? Fell in love with that bike at the Chicago International Show. It's the background screen shot on my monitor.
sas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:36 AM   #168
klopfi
Professional Struggler

Oddometer: 119
Me too...

Here's my 2 cents:

I had ridden dirt bikes a little when younger and had always wanted a street bike - but some cooler head always convinced me that it might not be a good idea... At one point, my Mom even offered to quit smoking if I wouldn't buy a motorcycle. She quit for a while, but lapsed after the bike I had intended to purchase was no longer available...

1. WTF were you thinking?

I was 32 and finally in a position to buy one without putting the finances at risk. Our daughter was going to be born soon and I suppose I was having some sort of pre-midlife crisis. My wife was supportive of it since she knew that I'd always wanted to ride a street bike.

2. What was your first bike?

A 1984 Honda Ascot 500. Bought it from a co-worker right after signing up for the MSF course and had to stare at it on the driveway every day until the course was completed.

3. How do you feel about starting so late?

Looking back, I had a pretty wild streak in my twenties - the people who thought I shouldn't buy a bike were probably wise to encourage me to not get one earlier. On the plus side, I think I must have worked out a lot of my urges to be a major bonehead (reserving the right to the occasional slip) - I have a lot less ego engaged in how I ride than I might have at 22.

4. What bikes have you progressed to / thru?

The Ascot, a Yamaha Seca II, a Yamaha YZF600R and now I own a Honda VFR800 (vtec).

Over the last 10 years, I have had 1 ticket (right after buying the YZF) and crashed twice. Both were the "dust yourself off and get going again", more embarassing than damaging types of get offs... I'd like to think I learned something about what not to do both times.

Last year, I worked my way through becoming a certified MSF Rider Coach... I don't think that says anything about anything except that I am a lot more aware of the mental aspects of riding than I would have been at the height of my physical perfection...

cheers,

jim
klopfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:49 AM   #169
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas
How does she like the Ninja 650R? Fell in love with that bike at the Chicago International Show. It's the background screen shot on my monitor.
She's really enjoying it. She bought the RT because she wanted some more protection and stability than the GS had on the highway. First day she rode the RT and we did over 700kms and 9 hours and she loved it, until we spent a few days around town. The slow speed maneuvers were very un-nerving for her and she felt like she was going to drop it almost every time she stopped. It was just a little too tall and heavy for her.

Now onto the Ninja. She loves it on the highway, it is turning 4500RPM at 110kph and it red lines at 11,000. Lots of passing power, she had it up to 160kph (100MPH) several times and it was very stable and planted. It was pretty windy and gusty a few times and she said she never felt it at all, which was her biggest complaint on the GS, she would get blown around quite a bit and at anything over 120kph it would jump around like you were riding on gravel. Wind hits her just below her chin but it's nice clean air, she gets no buffeting so is OK with that. We'll see after our first long trip is she wants a little more protection, possibly a laminar lip? The seating position is basically the same as she had on the RT, pretty much upright and very comfortable. This is more a standard bike than a sport bike even with the fairing. Very smooth bike, I love the sound of the twin. There's some vibration you feel through the pegs, similar to what she'd feel on the GS but it's even less than you got on the GS and it's never intrusive.

I have ridden it a few times and the one word that I keep thinking is: SMOOTH D@mn, Kawi did a good job with this bike. It is very easy to ride. It has a huge friction zone, very light clutch pull, the throttle is very easy to modulate. Nice linear power and I was very surprised, lots of it. It's light and she likes the quick response. She just has a big grin on her face everytime she gets off it now. It has put the fun back into biking for her.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:11 AM   #170
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Oddometer: 2,494
Started riding after 30?

Better late than never! I do feel sorry for all of you. I wore out a handful of bikes before I turned 16

-Jim

Saying, "You are full of it" is a banning offense -Putts

Too many n00bs/non-riders/pirates here to be worthwhile any more
VFR_firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:41 PM   #171
Gravity
Ride the world!

Oddometer: 273
I did at 42!

My first bike was a BMW R1100R 1998.

I felt that starting so late I might not be able to devlop the skills necessary to be safe. I read about riding, took a MSF course and then bought gear all before my first ride. I feel that I'm wiser and more knowledgeable than the younger rider that is just starting out. I also read every faceplant post before mounting up. The part about the birds scared me.

After 3000 miles on the R I moved up to a K1200GT. I'm not sure this is it because i sat on a GSA and fell in love. I have a few thousand miles to put on the K12GT then perhaps I'll swap over the the GSA.

I now have a full MOTOPORT kevlar jacket and pants, held gloves, Oxtar boots and wear earplugs every time I ride!! I"m mounting a gps and radar detector and then I'll be pretty much done with the farkles.

Good thread,

Gravity
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 01:21 PM   #172
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly
I do feel sorry for all of you. I wore out a handful of bikes before I turned 16

-Jim
I feel sorry for me too! But honestly, I was lucky to survive my teens/20s in a car, let alone on a bike!
Old 06-01-2006, 07:30 PM   #173
DrRobert
Professional n00b

Oddometer: 17
Cool2 Late starter

This is for anyone who started riding after age 30.

I'll phrase the first question in my Mom's exact words, "WTF were you thinking?" (5 years later her opinion hasn't changed)

As a kid I rode and rode on bicycles. In college I realized I had gotten fat and parking permits cost more than a good quality bicycle... rode off 75 lbs in 4 months. faster and faster, farther and farther, conquered mountains, forrest trails, 100 mile rides, 20000 miles on the bikes... continued through graduate school with organized racing and faster bicycles. Then I got an absolute devastating case of mono/chronic fatigue... couldn't ride anymore... but I love being on two wheels... I love being IN my environment, not watching it through the TV screen of my windshield in the car. Met a brother of a friend with brain damage from a simple single bike low speed fall in a neighborhood. Swore I would never be stupid enough to ride a motorcycle... that's just crazy...

Some years later, still hadn't recovered health-wise enough to ride the bicycle a significant distance. On the way home (age 33) from work I randomly decided that I had never seen or touched a motorcycle. Went in, layed hands on a Ninja. These are charasmatic machines and I knew at that point that I would have one, but didn't know how.

I search the internet. Read the MSF page. Read proficient motorcycling and the next one, read motorcycles for idiots, read Neil Peart;s Ghost Rider, and The Perfect Vehicle, read all of the Life is A Road Books. Read the forums. Read the stats. I decided that most of the serious accidents were from getting hit by cars and I ride my bicycles on the road anyway. Took the MSF BRC. Watched SpeedTV. The charisma of the bikes and the adventure enduro rider stories / travel sealed the deal. I need to do more stuff just because it's there.

Mom said "Just be careful"
DMV clerk "Does your Mom know what you're doing?"

Decided light and most bicycle-like was the best choice as I could already do most of the low speed and big air stuff on them. Wound up with a new Yamaha FZ6. Good choice because it's lite. If I started to drop it I could just grab it and pull it all the way up before it hit the ground. It does have a spook amount of go though.... for a noob... Howver, I exercised a lot of self control.

My favorite thing to do is something I have never done before... this is just more of the same. I think I would be heavly involved in racing if I had started as kid.... as apposed to the scientist route. In general, I think motorcycling is one of the first areas where I have noobed into where people are general welcoming with a larual and hardy STFU. Lack of political correctness creates the strongest bonds as long as you have hte strongest people aroud you.

After having the FZ6 for two years, I decided I had to persue the adventure component of the original obsession, thus I am here and have just put 1400 miles on my 06 1200 GS. I also have my Nikon D70 and hope to start collecting some travels to cool places and people (any help appreciated).
DrRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:46 PM   #174
R.J.
split personality

Oddometer: 1,070
[quote=Shoganai]
Quote:
This is for anyone who started riding after age 30.

I'll phrase the first question in my Mom's exact words, "WTF were you thinking?" (5 years later her opinion hasn't changed)

I am 36 and just got my first bike.

1. I have always been the cute chic on the back behind DH. I told him one day, while out for a ride, " ...you know dear, I might like to try riding myself some day". He immediately pulled into a quiet out of town subdivision and told me to go for a spin on his V-Strom. Well, 25 feet down the road and I'm thinking "WOW, I gotta get me one of these!".

2. So about 6 weeks ago I bought a 2006 Zuke GS500F. I am taking the MSF course next weekend .

3. I just told my parents this week.
My Dad: "I can't wait to hear what your mom has to say he he he...".
Mom: "WTF???????!!!!!!!!".
My students at school (I'm a HS Bio teacher): "Too cool!!!!". (I think I have just achieved "hot teacher" status). LOL!
I can't wait to go on my first solo riding adventure!!!

You are never too old to start living!

R.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:51 AM   #175
bross
Where we riding to?

[quote=R.J.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai

I am 36 and just got my first bike.

I can't wait to go on my first solo riding adventure!!!

You are never too old to start living!

Congrats, ride safe and smile lots.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:36 AM   #176
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,063
35, first bike .... she is a DL650.

Anything bigger will get me in trouble, anything smaller feels too small.

I guess the 650 is the new 450.

I rode my father in law bikes - he begged me to do so - and I pretty much learned quickly since I am a avid cyclist too.

I found that is easier to ride a motorcycle than driving a car in traffic. That being said, most of the cars I've owned are manual.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 03:05 PM   #177
ny-wolcott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
Thanks for kicking it Shoganie.

At about 30 (1968?), I picked up a $100 used Honda step through, just 'cause it was there. Had a ball treating it like a dirt bike.

Then I went back to school for an MBA and bought a new leftover Honda 305 Dream ($500) and rode it all over the hills above Palo Alto and up to SFO. Even took it to Yosemite and the infamous Altamonte Concert. Sold it when I got out of school and heaed back east.

No bike for about 20 years, then a friend gave me a '79 GS550 titled and insured. Rode it around NJ/NY for a year then loaded it on a trailer with a friend and went to Missoula (where we left the trailer) and put 8,000 miles on it touring the NW and Canada (everything between Calif & Jasper) - most of it in 3rd gear at redline. :)

In '93 I had a good tax refund, so bought a new CBR900RR. Put 16,000 miles on it in 2 years, then lowsided it into a rock, totalling it. Meanwhile I had gotten a Hawk-GT, so continued on with it.

My late adolescence was causing me to lose control of my right wrist and I realized I was going to end up in the hospital or jail, so I sold the Hawk and got an almost new used GSX1100G which I used for the next few years and accumulated 50,000 miles on it. (What a great engine!)

My old Hawk-GT came became available the same time as another Hawk I had ordered from my freind Steve Lenac, the east coast Hawk guru, so I ended up with two Hawks. Sold one relatively soon and kept the other until just last year.

Somewhere in the same recent time frame a VX800 became available at our local shop, so I bought it for 2-up riding with my lady. Still have it, but it's relegated to only occasional use.

And a couple of years ago I got bit by the dual sport thing and bought a used DRZ400 from inmate Walter Barlow. Got it running really well and did some dirt with it, but found it was too heavy for this old man to pick up when I dropped it in the mud. So after some research I bought 2 almost new Super Sherpas, one for my wife and one for me. Love them.

Over the years I did lots of track days with Reg, Keith, etc at tracks all over the east which turned me into a pretty good rider. But my sense of mortality kicked in about 5 years ago and I haven't been to the track since. Don't need it with the SSs.

Here's me and my ex on the Honda Dream back in '70 at Big Sur just south of Nepenthe. Even had whitewall tires. And check out those bell bottoms!

ny-wolcott screwed with this post 05-08-2011 at 12:22 PM
ny-wolcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:45 AM   #178
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:

"DAMN, that is a sweet motorcycle. OK, that's it, I'm finally gonna do it." - Basically, I've liked motorcycles since I was a kid, but for many different reasons I had never had one. However, a chance lobby encounter with a shiny new F650GS threw some lighter fluid on those embers, and I determined to have a bike. I was 33 years old at the time.

Quote:
See above. I got a titan blue 2001 F650GS brand spankin' new shortly after taking MSF in the early Spring of that year.

Quote:
Mixed, but mostly positive. I probably don't have the skills I would have if I grew up on dirt bikes instead of on city streets. To a certain extent that's probably compensated by the fact that I've always ridden bicycles and have quite good balance and control with them. I was also telling my wife just the other night that I feel I missed out on something: "Hanging out with other stupid young men and riding fast motorcycles dangerously", but that I can't honestly regret that. The simple fact is that I got into riding after I was mature enough not to kill myself immediately.

Quote:
Progressed? I *love* my bike. I'm a man, and my eye is occasionally drawn to other gals, but I'm true blue. I'm still farkeling it up, and have no particular plans to change. It does everything I want with reasonable competence, if not great speed.

JDLuke screwed with this post 09-21-2008 at 01:55 AM
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:48 AM   #179
Noledad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I started really riding for the first time at 49. I'd ridden a couple of dirt bikes that belonged to friends for about 4 hours total maybe 20 years ago. Motorcycles have always turned my head but as they say "life got in the way". With 3 kids heavily involved in sports all year round, there was never any free time to get bored, (or any spare money laying around).

Now that the older two graduated from college and the youngest one near the end of high school, I decided that it was time for me. With the support of my wife, I took the MSF class in early December '05, planning to buy a bike after the holidays. I finished the class on a Sunday, got my license on Monday, and had a contract on a bike by Wed and rode it home on Sat. (so much for waiting).

I'm now 52, and still riding (and loving)my first bike, (Honda VTX1300). Probably not the best size to learn on, but I'm a big guy, and everything else seemed small. I read everything I can about riding and practice when I can, trying to learn all I can.

I'm finding that my riding interests are shifting towards travel and touring, so my next bike will probably be a Goldwing because my wife loves to ride with me. We are at the age where our friends and co-workers are starting to fall apart (heart attacks, strokes, arthritis, cancer). We realize that if we wait for retirement for our adventures,we might not live to see them.

P.S.--Shoganai--reading your thread about your Alaskan trip was inspirational.
Noledad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:01 AM   #180
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
WTF were you thinking?
I had ridden a variety of things like dirt bikes, mopeds and a few beat up '80's vintage motorcycles. But I never had a license. I decided to do the MSF course because it was easy. I seemed to suddenly have more friends with motorcycles and decided I might as well get one. That probably also had to do with the fact that I moved a lot previously and having a motorcycle would've been an unnecessary burden compared to bicycles I rode. Eventually, I figured it would be easier parking at work and fun to mess around with. However, I think my reasons to ride were different than many of my friend's.

What was your first bike?
First one I bought was a used Kawasaki KLR 250. I really spent a lot of time researching something that would do well as a in town commuter and do well on all the dirt roads in NM. Dual sports seemed to meet a lot of requirements at the time and this one was one of the first I found used at a reasonable price in this size range.

How do you feel about starting so late?
I don't think I missed anything. I still bicycle a lot, which is more visceral for me--even when its riding my beach cruiser at slow speeds. My wife eventually got a license and motorcycle, which she never saw herself doing. But I don't think we missed anything not doing this together earlier. Not having one younger probably meant I spent more time hiking an bicycling.

What bikes have you progressed to / thru?
Unlike nearly ever description I've read on this thread, I progressed to a Honda Ruckus 50cc Scooter. Its even better for my in town commute: easier to get up and go on; easier to park around town; free and parkable right next to my building at work; cheaper to own and operate; cleaner footprint; and the adage about riding slow bike fast seems to be true for me. I really considered moving up slightly to a Buell Blast or moving up alot to a sport touring bike. Money wasn't really a factor at this point--I could've bought nearly anything I wanted. But I realized that those motos didn't really satisfy the best part of being motorized on two wheel. Plus, I've discovered that I'd rather take my truck camping most of the time because I can take my dog.
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote