Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2008, 08:18 PM   #211
LCGarage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
1. WTF, I'm 41 yrs old, sole provider for wife and two young children. Thinking how for short money I could get a "vehicle" that gets over 60mpg (no $20k+ hybrid bull shit). Figured I would take the MSF class then decide. Took class and figured well, I better do this now, before I forget all this shit!

2. What was your first bike?
05' Ninja 250, spring of 2008

3. How do you feel about starting so late?
Feel stupid for not doing it sooner.

4. What bikes have you progressed to / thru?
None, but have put over 3kmi commuting just about every day on the Ninja 250. Love that thing, may add one but will keep...and I'm averaging 75.1mpg!!! I know...I drive like a granny, but I am getting old.

LCGarage screwed with this post 09-29-2008 at 08:25 PM
LCGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:47 PM   #212
crtahoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
1. WTF were you thinking?
I raced motocross every weekend for about eight years and stopped in 1978. I decided I was going to be a forever intermediate rider and I wanted to graduated college, something had to give. Well I graduate college and decide I need more college so I go for a graduate degree, get married, kids you know the story. Though I always kept in touch with bikes, reading a magzine, going to a race etc.

Flash forward about 27 years, I turn 48 and still fell it in my bones. I quietly go and sign up for the MSF course and the minute I throw my leg over the bike they give you it all comes back- Like I never left, mind you I have not ridden for 27 years. I knew at that moment I would ride and will ride till I can't.

2. What was your first bike? When I decided to get a bike I went for a BMW 650 gs. A great starter bike. I was influenced by two things: coming from the dirt bike world I wanted something that was of similar feel and a duel sport was close, second I saw the movie Long Way Around. Later that week I was in the BMW dealer in Sparks Nevada buying my bike. ( Iknow teh BMW marketing people love that.)

3. How do you feel about starting so late? No problem, I am just glad I did it. In fact I am so into it I started a club in my town and we have 4o members and the friendships we have had over the past several years have been great. I happen to live in an area that has outstanding two lane riding for my 5oth birthday I did 1600 miles of two lane riding throughout California. (My own Long Way Around)

I started with the 650 GS and sold it a couple of months ago and moved up to the 1200 gs which I love.
crtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:51 AM   #213
pilotfish
subnewbie

Oddometer: 105
old dog, old tricks?

I'm 40, and don't have a motorcycle yet; just got interested in dual-sports, and found this place. It's a little weird for me to be on the forum and not be riding, I guess (poseur!), but it's a good place to learn a lot.

I haven't ridden a motorcycle since my MX125 at age 16 or so. I may have had a few quick rides back then on a neighbor's Yamaha 400, but I can't remember for sure. FWIW, I ride bicycles pretty much daily.

So I mentioned on a different forum that I was getting the urge to ride again, and one poster said something like, "I've been riding for 3x years, and I'd never advise a middle-aged person to take up motorcycling again, unless they're ready to put huge amounts of time and money into it"--basically saying someone like me couldn't be safe.

I dunno--was he full of it?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:28 AM   #214
BzzBomb
n00b

Oddometer: 9
1."WTF were you thinking?"
I had been thinking about it for years, especially after several of my colleagues bought HDs. I am the father of 5 kids (14 - 4 y/o) and my woman thought/thinks I am nuts. BUT I earn my own money, pay my bills, and wanted a little more excitement in my life. I took a motorcycle rider safety course and was hooked!

2. What was your first bike?
Was/Is 2009 BMW F800GS

3. How do you feel about starting so late?
If wishes were fishes...
Although I would probably have become a statistic, I would have loved to start riding back in college in Austin, TX. Beautiful country with varying terrain. Now I'm a tad more cautious and really seek out advice from my friends who have been riding for years. Being older also affords me more $$ for things!

see #2 above

"Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb." Dark Helmet - Spaceballs
BzzBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:06 PM   #215
crispybmw
transylvania made

Oddometer: 8
it 's never too late...

in the former communist country no way i could afforded to have a bike...so welcome to USA.KEEP THINKING WHY BUT I KNOW THE ANSWER......THE BUG. .I'M CRAZY SO DO NOT MATTER.2 BMW F 650 GS.3.EXCELLENT.4.ONE MORE 650 ,THE FIRST ONE I LOST IT IN AN ACCIDENT.REAR ENDING.PROUDLY SURVIVOR....AND NOW AN 1150 ROCKSTER
crispybmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:43 PM   #216
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotfish
... So I mentioned on a different forum that I was getting the urge to ride again, and one poster said something like, "I've been riding for 3x years, and I'd never advise a middle-aged person to take up motorcycling again, unless they're ready to put huge amounts of time and money into it"--basically saying someone like me couldn't be safe.

I dunno--was he full of it?
Yes, he is.

If you're the cruiser type who won't take lessons, start with a clumsy, heavy bike, be only a weekend warrior, and don't wear any gear, then he might have a point.

If you're on this site, everyone will tell you to start with a smaller (and used) bike, get lessons, ride within your comfort or safety zone, and ATGATT. Read the Face Plant forum, not to get scared, but to remind one that riding is risky, but the risks can be mitigated. If this is the type of motorcycling you want then you'll be OK.

murgatroid42 screwed with this post 10-01-2008 at 09:19 PM
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:52 PM   #217
pilotfish
subnewbie

Oddometer: 105
Talking

Murgatroid, that made so much sense that I'm not sure it's allowed on the internet.

[edit: FWIW, the second option was where I was heading. Don't like cruisers, don't want to go fast or haul around a huge cruddy bike, would rather be safe and have fun.]
Old 09-30-2008, 10:29 PM   #218
dtirell
Dain Brammaged

Oddometer: 8,988
Let's see, I got my start at 37. My oldest brother gave me the motorcycle bug as he is 10 years older and has been riding forever. Unfortunately, he also raced amateur motocross and after a few crashes, my mom was really against any of us other kids riding. So I fed my hunger on bicycles, riding road and mountain bikes, even to the point of building a bicycle out of junk when I broke one and we could not afford a new one.

Fast forward, college meant keeping to the parents rules as they were paying so no bike then. Got married right before graduation and we had our first kid just over a year later (we were on the wrong side of the statistics that time ). But every now and then I would look at my wife and mention wanting a bike to which she would reply "No way."

Then one day at the ripe old age of 37 I decided that I was going to get one. So I looked down the couch and once again said I wanted to get a bike, to which my wife replied "OK"....she did not even look up from her book

So I asked her why she said OK, and her next reply was that "this was the first time she knew that I was serious" (doh!).

So I took the MSF class (wanted to know if I should be riding before buying) and after much research found a used KLR650, and ride it when not too busy with the family.

So as to the questions, my mom still asks "WTF were you thinking?" to which I say "I don't know but I am having fun doing it".

What was your first bike? 2002 KLR-650

What bikes have you progressed through? None, still on the KLR but wanting a Versys

What do I think about starting so late? Mixed. I would have loved to start much earlier, but I also know that concern about my family would have made it less fun to just go out and ride - having been hit by cars a couple of times while riding a bicycle means that I have a real clear perspective of the risks.

Having said that, I love to ride and my wife knows that the best suggestion to make when I am stressed out is to go out and take a ride.
dtirell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:21 AM   #219
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,274
Dawn and I were sitting around one weekend and I asked her what she wanted to do. She said she'd always wanted to ride a motorcycle. So had I. So we signed up for the MSF in a couple of weeks.

First bike: DL650.

starting late: i guess i missed a lot of fun not riding for all of those years. I can now have as much fun on my bike as I was flying around in my Corvette, but without getting a speeding ticket every 10 months.

what bikes have you progressed through: It's been two years that we've been riding. I just sold the WeeStrom and replaced it with an 1100 R and an 1150 GS. The torque on the R is very, very addicting.
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:24 PM   #220
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,351
Started in my late 30's........

After 5-6K miles/yr for 15 yrs on a bicycle, thought I needed longer legs ( I still ride the bike 4-5K/yr)

BMW 99 F650 was first, ALWAYS had wanted a BMW...(what a great bike, shouldn't a sold it)

Motoring about 6K/mi/yr......
Signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:03 PM   #221
dave58
Not if I see you first

Oddometer: 113
1. 46 (yup, that demographic).

2. '03 650 Yamaha V-Star

3. Seriously cheated!

4. '03 650 Yamaha V-Star
'05 HD Fat Boy
'93 BMW K1100RS
'96 BMW K1100RS
'08 BMW R1200GS Adv.

'08 R1200GS Adv.
'93 K1100RS
dave58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:02 PM   #222
mcstark
Oilhead convert

Oddometer: 965
1. WTF was I thinking: I'm 36 now and will be taking my MSF course this weekend. I recently found out I have crazy high blood pressure and came to the realization that I A) will never make enough to buy a Porsche [childhood dream], and B) getting my pilot's license is attainable but unreasonable - check out the cost to rent a plane for an hour!!!
A friend from work rides, and I always liked bikes as a teenager, so I thought I'd give it a shot. We're planning a two week trip in a couple years, so I need to get some miles under my belt.

2. What was your first bike? A 1997 BMW F650 with less than 12,000 miles on it. It's not my first choice, but the price was damn good and I love the "retro" look of it - she's classic sexy.

3. How do you feel about starting so late? I wish I would have started earlier - I tend to think about things too much now, and almost talked myself out of it twice. But 36 is young, and this "old dog" can learn new tricks.

4. What bikes have you progressed to / thru? None yet...maybe move up to an 1150GS before the "big trip," but might just do it on the F650 because I can.

Keep the rubber side down!

2003 BMW R1150GS
mcstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:12 PM   #223
E-man
4-4-09, 12-6-09, 1-13-10

Oddometer: 9,237
First the easy question- First bike was a 2003 Suzuki Volusia, 800cc cruiser. very nice confidence inspiring first bike. Tried the cruiser crap, leather vest, ribbons and stuff on it, didnt look good with a high and tight haircut and always being clean shaven.
I took 2 yrs off from riding when I got the new job and huge pay cut, picked up the Wee in June of 06.

I took the MSF class in 02, on my 5th wedding anniversary. I was late signing up for it so I got there as a stand in. I was told there is 1 spot left, if I want it its mine and its 2 weekends long. I said my wedding anniversary can wait. The class laughed. Wife didnt laugh as much.
I started racing BMX bikes in 1980 or so, so I always had that in me. I remember wearing VANS, watching E.T. and dreaming of buying a Kuwahara bike. I remember vividly being 16 or so riding some small late 70s moto, not sure of the brand, just some small not well maintained bike on the dirt paths accross from my house. I grew up across from the elementary school and the woods and lakes were back there. I enjoy riding, its my therapy

Once I moved to Pittsburgh with all its twisty dangerous roads I said Ill never ride here, too twisty and dangerous. I realize the twisties make riding what it is, fun.
I started riding at 33.
E.O.W. 12-06-09 Officer Crawshaw
E.O.W. 10-12-11 Derek Kotecki
E-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:22 PM   #224
motorbum
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I am a 32 y/o boy whom always wanted a bike. I was always afraid to buy one due to the fact I knew that I would kill myself on it.

For some reason in June of 2008, I took the leap after argueing with the wife. I bought a 2008 Kawasaki Versys. I had it for a couple of months before happening upon a 2001 Triumph TT600. After I spent a few weeks of riding one or the other, I decided that I wanted something upright but more powerful. So I take both of them to the local Kawi dealership and trade for 2008 Kawasaki Z1000.

For me to wait was probably smart. I am a little older and I won't say wiser, just smarter. I still have my moments. I have a 3y/o and another little one due in December so I do think of my family when I ride so that I keep my not so wise ass from doing something stupid.

While I do love my Z1000, I am looking to buy something a little more family friendly so that my wife and I can ride together after our baby is born. I am not too sure what I will be looking for though. The Z will stay, it's just too fun. I would like to find a nice tourer though. That will be in the spring.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:19 PM   #225
zane121
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
First bike was when i turned 40 Suzuki DR650. I didnt ask permission from no one...I just signed up for a MSF class, then went out and bought the bike. Kept it for about three months then bought a bmw dakar. Did'nt fit well then I bought a KLR. Been living like I was dying ever since.