Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2008, 10:35 AM   #226
ChrisG19
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
35 years old. I'd always wanted a bike but had never ridden except once on the back of one when I was 8 or 9. Took the MSF course and received my license in April 2008 thanks to a friend of mine that bailed out of a class and asked if I wanted to take his spot. I figured that was a sign. Gas prices going up certainly helped sell the wife on the bike as well.

2. What was your first bike?

Still is a 2008 Ninja 250R.

3. How do you feel about starting so late?

Certainly wish I'd started earlier.

4. What bikes have you progressed to / thru?

See number 2. But the more I read the Ride Reports, a KLR may be in my future.
ChrisG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:03 PM   #227
Silver
Dirtnewb

Oddometer: 2,262
1. WTF were you thinking?

Well, I had an XR80 when I was 13-15 which I rode as much as I could. Then nothing till I was 33. My friend had a BSA 441 in his garage that I drooled over as my Dad who died when I was 4 always had "Beesa's" as my mom told me they were named. After some cajoling he let me take it to my garage to work on it. I had it running and rode it back down to his house that day(all neighborhood).

After that I didn't have the money at the time to get it fully street legal, but I would go to my friends house and grab his '92 GSXR600 and put around the neighborhood. I did that to the tune of about 75 miles. I also put his Norton in my garage and had it running in about 2 days(both of the old bikes had not run in like 5 years).

For me I had always loved motorcycles but mom was against them as well as I couldn't afford one. Never stopped me from picking up a cycle magazine when in a book store, also had a few subscriptions to dream about them over the years.

2. What was your first bike.

1996 GSXR 750. It was a huge piece of shit. Probably in the shop more than I rode it, still managed to get 4k miles out of it before saying that's enough and buying new. No I didn't take the msf course, and the first 3 months I had it I rode around with no M, actually was going to get my M on my birthday on it and the first place I went the computer were down, second place I went I couldn't find. Rolled a stop sign in a neighborhood and got pulled over. Got a ticket for driving without endorsement, even after I told them I was on my way to get it right then. Ah well, they at least told me where I could find the second place and I had my M an hour within getting the ticket for it.

Well, actually if I had started in my early 20's when I was "immortal" I'd probably be dead now. I doubt I would have read as much about riding if any, or worn any safety gear other than a helmet. As now I've done a lot of reading online and via books about form and riding and trying to be safe. Currently if I'm going out on short jaunts around town I'm boots/gloves/jacket/helmet, if going out of town, 2 piece leathers/boots/jacket/gloves helmet. My bummer is that I would have loved to try road racing.

4. What bikes have you progressed through.

1968 BSA 441 - Still in garage waiting to be made a project.
1996 GSXR 750 - Sold.
2006 CBR600RR - Still in garage waiting on it's 16k maintenence.

Future? A dual sport hopefully next year. Wanting something in the XR650R form I'm thinking. Amazingly happy that I started riding finally. After dreaming about it forever, finally doing it. I've been to deals gap twice, done multiple day rides to the tune of 300-400+ miles. Some 3 day rides into AR as well. Was planning to go to NM/CO this year but those plans got washed. Would like to DS to Mexico/Alaska/Canada and make a big race next year.

Sorry for the novel.

edit: 36 now, roughly 20k miles. I'm a weekend rider not a commuter.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:53 PM   #228
Reddemon
Version 7.0

Oddometer: 1,956
I rode as a teenager/early 20-something then not at all until age 43. WTF was I thinking? That the brain itch I had every single year about getting a bike again was too strong to ignore any longer.

Picked up a little 250cc Honda Nighthawk, traded later that summer for a 650cs. Have my eye on the new 650 GS now. Would also like to get an airhead with a sidehack again someday....
My only regret is waiting as long as I did to get back into it.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:05 PM   #229
raingeek
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Yet Another Old Noob

I'll phrase the first question in my Mom's exact words, "WTF were you thinking?" (5 years later her opinion hasn't changed)
At 53 years of age, I met a woman who rode, heard the poetry in her descriptions of riding, saw the joy she felt and had to try it. Anne's tutelage, example, and spare SV650 helped me find the right gear and the right bike early on. I'm 54 in a few weeks and hope to ride for many years.

2008 SV650N on 20 June 08. Love it.

Life's gifts come when they will. It is enough that I rode Duffey lake two weeks back and saw the autumn morning light filtering through the trees and glimmering off the mountains.

No other bikes yet, but I am thinking either a WeeStrom or a BMW 650GS for an Alaska ride in 2010 as I understand the road to Inuvik would beat the crap out of my SV. Your ride report is a central inspiration for the trip. Thank you for the glimpse into your saga.
raingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:49 PM   #230
AKStrom
Just call me 'Magellan'

Oddometer: 1,234
Well, not quite 30, but I was 27 and my first child was just a few months old when I decided that motorcycling was for me. Was working at a homeless agency doing IT support back then, and bought an 82 Honda CX500 from a co-worker.

To my wife's eternal credit, she said that she'd support it as a long as I didn't hurt myself too bad and had enough insurance to support the kids if I got taken out.

Well, last December "hurt myself too bad" did come around after 6+ years and 60,000 miles. Once I told her I was still drawing air and able to walk and talk, she was okay with continuing to ride. Got a metal plate in my right forearm after I shattered the end of my right radius in a highside after sliding a locked-up front wheen across a diamond-plate utility cover on a I-405 off-ramp.

Was no question in my mind about getting back in the saddle either. After a scant 6 weeks of casts and then three weeks of PT after the cast was off, I started riding to the therapy sessions.

Bought my 2006 Wee-Strom back off salvage and still riding it around the Seattle area. It rolled 40,000 miles on it a week ago last Saturday. It's banged up and ugly just like it's owner, but still runs like a swiss watch.

I've had some other bikes in between. Some were a good fit, and some weren't. My 2002 Concours wasn't, and the POS 82 VF750S I bought after it was a bad idea too. Ran like crap and sold it a year later after 3,000 miles and glad to see it go.

Bought an 84 Sabre 1100 after the 750 from a friend on another list. Second best bike I've ever owned, and it'd seen a hard life too.

Nothing yet has come close to my Wee-Strom though. Though I'm thinking about picking up a recent VFR800 ABS, as I do still miss the Honda v4 motor.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:02 PM   #231
urbanXJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,935
planned to wait until 30 but wife said go ahead at 28

OK, so Im 28 but whatever...

Previous riding, I crashed a scooter in Cabo San Lucus during our Honeymoon, that is it.

For years I had been talking with the wife about buying a MC, and she said wait, too much risk.......we have a baby.......

I explained that with gas prices at current (then $2.50/gallon US) the bike would pay for itself since I commuted 60miles per day.

I began having dreams about me riding south down to Galveston, TX, on a MC.

Had the dream several times.

Fast forward to 2008, gas prices at $4/gallon, wife is all but begging me to get a MC.
I hide my grin and say OK OK gotta do some research and get a good deal and the right bike.

So, I like to buy American products and stopped by a few HD dealerships.

A lady at a desk asked me if I was interested in taking a MSF class. She could obviously tell I had no experience. I signed up and one weekend in the hot August sun in a Mall parking lot in Houston I finished up the MSF. I was hooked. I remember sitting on that 250gz and staring at the freeway thinking how free I felt.

Next day I'm at the DPS to get my MC license.

Two weeks later I'm at the Kawa dealer, sat on the 08 Versys, took her for a spin and fell in love.

Next thing I realize is I'm riding south down Hwy 3 to Galveston. At that moment my dream came true, exactly how I dreamed it FN exactly!

I put 1k+ miles on it in the first month.

I'm glad I waited as I think if I had not, I would be dead. I was a bone head but when the baby came my life changed like never before.

Only bike I got. Plan to pass it down to the wife when I move up.

The MC has also changed my life. No more 24oz bud lignt's on the dirve home from work while smoking and changing gears, stearing with my knee.

I got to be sober to ride and it's good. I think I was getting tired of living in a stupor.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:34 AM   #232
ride2live
Just ride

Oddometer: 87

WTF were you thinking? It was time to scratch the itch that had been there a while.

First bike? Shared ownership of a CFR250X with oldest son, he never let me ride it, so a year later got a KLX250. Two months later, picked up F650GS.

Why did I wait so long? Man, I wish I had started earlier, can't get enough ADV now. Did an 11 day, 3000 mile trip on the BMer this summer. Helplessly hooked on the experience now.

I gave the Honda to my oldest as a graduation gift. The Kawa is now for sale and I will likely get one of the BMW twins next spring.
ride2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #233
mzjones
GratefulNow

Oddometer: 90
Now rolling...

I was thinking that I was tired of the various reasons I shouldn't ride ("you could get hurt," "why are you thinking that sounds fun'" and "WTF are you thinking"), and it was time to start having fun! At the age of 41 I bought my first motorcycle.

2. First with a motor was a YAM TTR250 - still sitting in the garage. My son's occasionally ride it, so I keep it around. My basic riding skills were developed riding fat-tire Cannondales and Treks. These skills served me well in learning single track and steep trail riding. Within a month I was riding intermediate class tracks along the Wasatch Mtn. ridge line.

3. Felt great! I have another 45 years ahead of me!

4. At 41 a YAM TTR250. At 44 a BMW G650 XCountry - great bike! Daily rider. At 46 a 2008 BMW R1200GSA. Handles the twists similarly to a DUC Hypermotard, but with the legs, stamina and bags to go to Denali. Two wheeled Nirvana! I struggle to be worthy! (That's me taking delivery of my baby at the LV Airport - notice the shit-eatting grin)

Next step is to get my wife comfortable 2-up and see the world from a new perspective one mile at a time.

'08 BMW R1200GSA
'07 BMW G650 XCountry (sold - I can't believe I did that)
'03 YAM TTR250 (beater)

mzjones screwed with this post 12-15-2008 at 11:45 PM
mzjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #234
Squelch
Everyday People

Oddometer: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai
This is for anyone who started riding after age 30.

I'll phrase the first question in my Mom's exact words, "WTF were you thinking?" (5 years later her opinion hasn't changed)

1. I was thinking that I wanted something exciting, different, and interesting to do with my life.

2. My first bike was a Suzuki GS500F - an awesome beginner bike. Looked like I was a legitimate crotch rocketeer, yet I wasn't scared of it.

3. I wish I had started earlier, especially with a dirtbike or mini bike or something when I was a kid. Unfortunately, with a single parent barely over the poverty level, that wasn't going to happen.

4. I traded the Suzuki in on a Buell Ulysses, (huge difference) and recently also bought a KLX250, (huge difference as well...)
Squelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 05:49 PM   #235
Calhoun
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
This is for anyone who started riding after age 30.

1. I worked 3 miles from the house, no sense cranking the car for that. Then I changed jobs and gas went through the roof.

2. 2005 Yamaha FZ6. Still have it. Great bike.

3. It's probably best that I started riding late. I'm much safer.
Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:48 PM   #236
jfurf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
My start....

Been lurking for a while here. This is as good a place as any to post.

1. WTF were you thinking?

I'm 30 and started riding six weeks ago when I passed my MSF course and got my license. Always heard stories as a kid about how my old man crashed a bike before I was born and swore them off. Well, about 5 years ago he got back on.

A BMW R1200C. The old man decided to get himself a new K1200GT and figured he'd at least have someone to ride with if he gave me the cruiser.

I've wanted to ride for a LONG time, just never made it a priority and actively set out to do it. At least now I'm more mature!

This is my first bike. My second will be either a Versys, Sprint ST or VFR. I'm not sure if I'm a cruiser guy, though the Beemer is great.
jfurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:05 AM   #237
Roxyig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Wink 39 yr old Woman

I had a goal to ride by the time I was 40. Time was running out and I signed up for classes at a local college and began to fulfill my dream at 39! Wow a rush! I had never even driven a stick shift car and now I am on a bike!
First bike was a 91 Katana. A bit too top heavy for me. Pllus, my boyfriend at the time talked me into the bike and we had matching bikes! I hated it and we looks completely stupid! Similar to the idiots couples that wear matching shirts. I sold the bike and bought a Suzuki GS. I love that bike. It was comfortable, I could touch the ground easily and could get anywhere. My coworkers are all Harley riders therefore have a lack of respect for my "baby" bike!
I ride to work whenever I can but it is a 27 mile ride one way with two different e-ways.
I have met some amazing people that ride and I have convinced many other woman past the age of 30 to get their license. To date two female friends are now riding and can't imagine ever being without a bike again. Two more female friends have signed up for classes.
As for family, They don't understand! My kids were shocked and hated the fact that their mother rode for a while but have since gotten use to it. My son now wants the GS as I have outgrown this bike and I am in need of something more powerful.
Kudos to this site and forum. I love to read about your rides and adventures!
Roxyig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:30 AM   #238
bigwonton
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Started this year at age 34. I guess I always had a desire for a motorcycle but didn't really have the time or the finances to pursue that dream. A few years ago, I found out through a friend that the MSF class in Ohio was $25 and immediately mailed my check in only to have it returned and told that all classes were full. DOH! I guess they pretty much fill up on the first day of registration.

Got my registration in early this year and a friend who was moving up, gave me a great deal on his Suzuki GZ250. Rode that for a few months and then ran into a coworker who was selling an SV650. So I now have a summer's worth of riding under my belt and a big smile on my face.
bigwonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:46 AM   #239
Mr. 0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
I started riding this past June, about 6 months after I turned 30

WTF was I thinking? It was something that I was always interested in, I just never got around to getting everything done. I just finally decided it was time, so I took the BRC in June, got my endorsement, and then picked up a bike in late August.

What was your first bike? - The only bike I've had. 1991 Honda Nighthawk 250

3. How do you feel about starting so late? - I only wish I had started sooner.
Mr. 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:34 AM   #240
vikbarbarian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
i have started riding last year only i was just 30 last year, why i got into it??? i was riding pillion in a friends Harley, when this sudden crazines of Biking came into me.

What was your first bike?
well, my present bike is my first bike, i currently own Busa GSX 1300R

How do you feel about starting so late?
now i have realized what i was missing in life!

What bikes have you progressed to / thru?
by next year i will upgrade myself to a V-Rod!