Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2008, 09:58 AM   #241
The Full Monty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai
This is for anyone who started riding after age 30.

I'll phrase the first question in my Mom's exact words, "WTF were you thinking?" (5 years later her opinion hasn't changed)

2. What was your first bike?

3. How do you feel about starting so late?

4. What bikes have you progressed to / thru?
1- I have always wanted to ride, but my parents always said it was too dangerous! One day last April, something just clicked and I decided to do it. It started when my wife wanted me to get a small economy car to save on gas. “No way”, I said, “I would rather get a bike”. Reluctantly she said ok. I never looked back. Sister says it's a mid-life crisis.
2- My first and still only bike is a 1986 Yamaha XT350. I have totally rebuilt it from the frame up. I am planning on taking her on some mult-day trips in the future.
3- Wish I would have started earlier……but there is not a damn thing I can do about it.
4- Still riding my first, the XT, in a year or so I would like to move up to maybe a KTM or BMW. We will see.

KLR650 '09
The Full Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:35 PM   #242
sloMark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
I'll be 38 in March. Growing up I was never allowed to have a bike, my parents wouldn't have it. So in 1998 after I took the MSF course I bought myself my first bike, a used 1990 XT350 for $1200. I think I put 40miles on it and sold it. Never really got to ride, didn't have anyone else to DS with, maybe I was scared, maybe I hated kicking the thing over and over to get it started, I dunno, I sold it three months later.

Then two yrs. ago I was at work (LEO) pulling out of the station when a red two stroke something wizzed by me, clearly illegal, cruising down the highway at rush hour. For some reason I went after him just to pull him over and see whats up, might be stolen, tickets were not and are not on my agenda? You can't ride a dirt bike on the street, at least not at 5pm in front of a PD. So what's this jackoff do, he takes off. A small chase ensues, but ends after this idiot jumps the curb and lays it over in the front yard of the PD. I get out, still calm, and begin to walk over to him, he jumps up and gets on and starts madly kicking it over to try to leave. Now I'm mad, I run up and tackle him and the bike. He's drunk, wanted, suspended, and just stole the damn bike. Anyway, I ride the thing across the PD yard to our impound. While riding it I am reminded how fun these bikes are and the next day I bought a new DRZ400. I now have about 4,000 miles it and am now looking to buy something bigger (its gonna be either a 990a or a wee-strom). Gonna keep the DRZ too. I've probably had about 20 very low speed off road get offs, no real damage to me or the bike, but I keep learning. I got a bunch of new riding buddies, we've taken some great weekend trips and I'm hooked for good now.

sloMark screwed with this post 10-21-2008 at 12:42 PM
sloMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:55 PM   #243
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxyig
My kids were shocked and hated the fact that their mother rode for a while but have since gotten use to it. My son now wants the GS as I have outgrown this bike and I am in need of something more powerful.
Kudos to this site and forum. I love to read about your rides and adventures!
I love it! You GO, Mom! Eat your hearts out, kids! Uh oh, maybe you've lit a fire....

The best vacation I've ever been on with my son was a three week tour of the Canadian Rockies with him on my BMW K75 and me on the 1100RT. He loved it so much I gave him the bike as a college graduation gift. The K75 is an outstanding machine and a nice size for women, too. My GF is 5' 2" and it's tough to find a bike to fit her. Maybe I can get my K75 back??

This is an interesting thread - I started riding when I was five, 45 years ago, so I'm interested in the perspectives of folks who started much later. I can't imagine life without motorcycles.

Doug
Old 10-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #244
RCHSBD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
My Story

I am 40 years old, married with 2 boys, 7 yrs and 10 mths. I am a HS band director and I changed jobs after 6 years, leaving a 7 min commute for a 30 min commute. My cage is Ford Ranger 6 cyl 4.0 that gets 14 mpg. This all coincided with our recent gas spike at the beginning of the summer. My wife and I were discussing options when I casually said, "How about a motorcycle?" to which she replied "I'm open to that." I was stuned. This is the woman who basically said hell no to the idea when we got mairried. I asked her what changed her mind. She said "you are not the same person you were at 25." I think she is right, I'm glad I waited untill now.
I signed up for the MSF course at the local comunity college and realized that would not fully prepare me to ride but would give me the basics to develop the skills on my own.
I bought a yellow 03 Vee 1k. (Yes, I should have waited until I found a Wee) I've taken my time and developed my skills. I'm not sure i would have done that at 25. I now ride to work almost every day. I've cut down on fast food and cigars by riding and even lost a couple of pounds...go fig.

My students think its the coolest thing. They call it "the yellow power ranger"

I still hav'nt told my Mom.
RCHSBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:13 PM   #245
RocketJoe
Geaux Tigers

Oddometer: 100
Started at 57. Am now 64

Was 57 when I started riding.

Why? My son had bought a new Triumph Speed Triple and I really wanted to ride it but didn't know squat. So I took the MSF course and got licensed.

Two weeks later I bought a ragged out 1979 Yammy XS650. Rode it for nearly two years and sold it and bought a five year old 1998 BMW R1100RT, with 25,000 miles on it. Five years later I still have it. Rode to the West Coast then into Canada and back to Denver with my son two months ago, 5,020 total miles. Pics at rocketjoe.smugmug.com

What was I thinking? Looked like fun. Since I didn't start skiing till I was 50, what the hey, right?

What did my mom say? She probably rolled over a few times by now. But my brother is jealous as all get out.

1998 Shiney Black R1100RT

You don't have smugmug? Use Smugmug Coupon Number zUCOw28hXpN7E
RocketJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:15 PM   #246
thetoecutter
Cutter of Toes

Oddometer: 1,814
Started just before my 30th birthday. 7 years now.

2. What was your first bike? 01 R6

3. How do you feel about starting so late? I feel I missed out on tons of riding as a kid!!!

01 R6
96 Cr250
03 Cr250
03 Crf450
03 KTM 450SX
05 KTM 950 ADV

thetoecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:22 AM   #247
TrappedAtWork
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
I am 34 now started riding about 18 months ago. Got back to the sunshine after living in London for about 3 years.

After getting back, 2 years ago I had bought an 2006 RX8, with leather...very nice car. Believe me I did begin to fear for my licence.... it is not a "fast" car, but F*** me can it hold on in the corners, those Bridgestone Potenzas are worth every cent!

Anyway, a mate of mine says "hey want to ride Townsville to Broome?". I reply I don't ride. He says get a licence. So I did.

I got my licence during the golden era in Queensland for new motorcyclists, 16 hours of motorcycle training (over a weekend) by an approved provider and you go to Transport Dept and you have a licence. One Saturday morning I had been a pillion twice, on Monday lunchtime, I had an unrestricted motorcycle licence. Love it, very enlightened for the Queensland Government; unfortunately this time has passed - all the bleeding hearts got their way.

After 6 months of riding I sold the RX8, I preferred the bike.

Only one bike so far, SV650 Naked (K7). I love it.
I have been "shopping" for a dual sport for the past 6-8 months.

I don't regret starting late, I did not know what I was missing. Now I would not be without my bike.

[Insert Crappy Phone Pic Here]
Attached Images

TrappedAtWork screwed with this post 10-22-2008 at 03:30 AM
TrappedAtWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #248
Basso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Right around my 33rd birthday my brother in law got a moped (50cc ruckus). I rode it around and loved it. I've ridden bicycles in traffic in town for many years, and the ruckus was kind of cool...I could keep up. I decided I had to get one, but I wanted to take a class on riding and signed up for the MSF course. Then I decided if I was going to have a bike, I might as well have a bike.

So I purchased a suzuki M50 in July of 2007 and put 5,000 miles on it around town and with a trip down to NC and back by the end of the season. I learned that I don't like cruisers for anything longer than 50 miles, and that wearing a roadcrafter on a cruiser will make sure you get some funny looks from people.

In March I got a wee-strom, and since then I've taken it all over the eastern half of the US (Minus NC, SC and GA) and have put just over 11,000 miles on it. I guess you could say I'm hooked.
Basso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #249
ragzamoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
ragzamot

i got my first bike at 16 my freinds all chiped in for my birthday a suprize planned by my girlfreind! it was a honda dream160 the first day i had it off loaded from a pick up truck. My mom came to the screen door I said look mom I started it put it in gear nothing i reved it nothing I reved it again and then wiggled the clutch lever as it was reved...... bad idea I pealed out across the street hit a tree with a nice big trunk and rode right up the tree and it all came down on me. Mom closed the door. That was the begining it could only get better I guessed and it has. I owned many bikes and stopped riding when I turned 35 I restarted in 05 im 54 and I have now 5 and still want every one . I love all of them I travel alot and I like riding all of them I cant say i have a favorite because each one does somthing special i will say my klr has given me alot of bang for the buck and It owes me nothing . i now have a trip planned to My home in Mexico i drive there each year and im looking for a new ride . I like trails and I like a nice slab on a twisting mountain. I like it all i dont like being judged by what i ride and i dont judge who knows i may someday have a harley.
ragzamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:14 PM   #250
Reuel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I was 32 years old. Every couple years or so, I find myself in some HD store, looking at all the shiny motorcycles with my wife. This time, it was at Gladstone HD/Buell in Gladstone, Missouri. I saw what looked like the prettiest color of purple a guy could ride without looking gay. That beast (I've never been a big HD guy, so I had no idea what it was called) cost $17,000. I asked a salesman about getting something for my wife, who is 4' 11" and maybe 100 pounds wet. He pointed to a black 2001 Buell Blast. We looked around some more and left.

For Valentine's day, my wife told me I could pick out whatever I wanted, but the most I could spend was $5,000. I called the Gladstone dealer and did the deal over the phone. I made the purchase on Valentine's Day. Guess what? It was that exact black Blast that the salesman pointed out to my wife!

I've been riding it ever since. Just last week, I passed 35,000 miles. I believe that if I had gotten it when I was much younger, someone else would be walking around with some of my organs, since I wouldn't be using them any more.

Reuel®
Reuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:50 AM   #251
RoboRob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Try 40.
Wife and I have talked about bikes on and off for a couple of years. This past summer with the price of gas we talked some more. I have not ridden a bike in over 17 years. We went to the dealer and sat on a couple of bikes she really liked the wee-strom. I took the MSF course and thought we would wait a bit. I go on a two week business trip. As I come down the driveway and hit the opener for the gargage door I realize that I can't pull the car in because there is a yellow wee-strom in the garage. She used my truck to pick the bike up and had a buddy help her get it out. That was in late Aug and we already have 2,000 miles on it including a overnight. We are already talking about a second bike.
RoboRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:18 AM   #252
WhistlingFool
Dixie!? I know a Dixie...

Oddometer: 693
Late Bloomers

First Bike was a Buell Blast.. !!! I looked like a circus clown and it had an offroad pipe... LOUD!!

I am an old fart now at 49 and started in 2004.

2nd bike was a 2003 Triumph Sprint ST and I now have an '06 Triumph Tiger.

If you'd of asked me at 40 I would have likely though to never ride or own a MC. Now I dream of the road and taking that next journey.

I got the buell, rode it w/o license for a few months and then took the 2-day Basic Rider Course here in MAine, which gets you a license provided you have a car license already. I took the Experienced Rider Course the next spring.

I have around 35k total miles on MC's since I started and I think that being older and wiser, and totally inexperienced was a good thing. I learned the right way from the get go, was alwasy safety aware.. healing when you are older hurts more and takes longer, and gets expensive too!

I feel lucky I discover riding...

and Larry said, "Wow, you really need to run out of gas more often!"

by Northwoods Yeti - "Rubber mallet and Crisco here I come...."

Read My 2005 Trip Report
WhistlingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:29 PM   #253
lasal9ut
n00b

Oddometer: 1
This is a great thread, cuz I've always wondered who else out there had a late start. I'm always assuming everyone got started when they were pretty young.

I've been really into mnt. biking since 1984, but it wasn't untll 1999 that I saw how cool dirt bike riding could be, especially here in Utah. My friend took me on some classic, but easy, desert rides down in Moab (White Rim trail and La Sal Loop Rd.). I was smitten, and so my first bike was a 1998 xrl250. I thought, at the time, that it was all I could ever want. I was 32.

But you know how it goes. In 2002 I bought a DRZ 400, and this year I bought a wr450. You just get more and more comfortable with power and really the suspension on the better bikes is almost like cheating.

Dirt biking has allowed me to go into the most hidden, forgotten and beautiful places in the desert here. What a gift.
lasal9ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:18 AM   #254
Pharwaylok
Sing me Spanish Techno...

Oddometer: 243
Laugh Childhood Vengence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai
This is for anyone who started riding after age 30.

"WTF were you thinking?"

2. What was your first bike?

3. How do you feel about starting so late?

I took the MSF class 2 months before my 45th bd, and two months after returning from 13 months in Iraq.

I took the course to see if I really wanted to do this motorcycle thing.

I bought my 96 R850R about a month later. Went for a bike that was large enough to get around on, without wanting more right off the bat.

Growing up, my parents didn't want us near guns or cycles despite growing up in rural Ohio. Dad was a MD and saw lots of GSW and face plants, but all my friends were feet-dragging dirt bikers as kids.

I did have one "bad" mini-bike incident as a kid, at a motorcoach rally I got to ride a Honda Trail 70. I was doing great, til I took a corner and contacted the bumper of a car that had stopped at the intersection. The front tire barely touched the bumper, but it spooked me and I backed up, sped around the car as worried adults were asking if I was okay. I was fine, but apparently I was "irresponsible" by splitting the scene of a "nonaccident." So the parental lectures never stopped while I was growing up.

So by 2005, I was 45, a college graduate, two kids in college, 21 years in the National Guard with 2 overseas deployments and ready to retire. Damn skippy I'm getting a motorcycle.

When I showed it to Mom and Dad, they didn't say a word.

It would have been great to have started earlier, but no time for regrets--I've got too much riding to do.

So far the 96 BMW is the only bike I have, or can afford--but I'm going to wear it out.

"I have a good day, every now and then..."
Pharwaylok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:47 PM   #255
The Full Monty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
It would have been great to have started earlier, but no time for regrets--I've got too much riding to do.
I could not agree more. There is a time for everything and the time was right.

KLR650 '09
The Full Monty is offline   Reply With Quote