User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2005, 10:32 PM   #31
Redne Dab
Poseur Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 1,100
My Saga

My brother and I used to do a fine imitation of kamakazii pilots on out Honda 70's and 90's. The height of my motorcycling youth was the day I jumped over the manure pile. But that is a different story...

When I was still young I got really sick and had to entertain myself with books and computers, then girls and cars. I always admired bikes but didn't think I could ride a real bike...

About a year ago my wife got pregnant and I saw nothing in my horizon but work and death. My wife generously allowed me to take an MSF course to determine if I could still ride. As soon as I got the book in the mail, I read it over and over -I had the book and all of the tips memorized. The day of the class -I was practically spinning.

The bookwork was easy. Re-learning to ride was tougher.

A result of being sick as a kid, my left hand does not work as it should -I don't just pull and release the clutch, I have to request, convince and sometimes coerce my hand to work the clutch. Makes it challenging.

Luckily, riding was even more fun than I remembered it. I droped the in-class Sherpa once but passed the test. It only took a few more weeks of constant begging to get permission from my wife buy an '05 KLR 650.

I have ridden the thing almost daily since I got it. Nothing too long yet but as I was only qualified to do circles in a parking lot ten months ago, I'm pleased with my progress.

My wife is cautiously encouraging, my Mother has no clue about it and most of my friends think I've hit my second childhood.

Wish I'd gotten it sooner!
Redne Dab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 11:48 AM   #32
FlyingScotsman
Crash Test Dummy

Oddometer: 1,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai
This is for anyone who started riding after age 30.
That would include me then

Quote:
2. What was your first bike?
F650GS Dakar. Purchased two years ago on my 30th birthday.

Quote:
3. How do you feel about starting so late?
I don't mind starting so late. I think if I started when my Dad wanted me to, I would probably be dead by now - I had no sense back then.

My ol' man has been riding M/C's since he was 14 and was racing them by 18 (he rides a 2004 R1 now and he's 55). He is able to strip down bikes to their nuts and bolts (including that 2004 R1) then put them back together again with his eyes closed - although, I do wish I had that skill. Anyway, when I started University, he wanted to buy me a M/C as a cheap form of transportation around Edinburgh but me being me, wanted a car. Well, Scottish winters are friggen cold and it rains all friggen summer. Dad couldn't afford to buy a car (he was paying for me to attend Uni after-all but I didn't appreciate that back then). Anyhoo, I was too stubborn; "if I couldn't have a car then I'll be dang it if I were having a bike", so I ended up spending the next 4 years walking in the pissing rain or bus-ing it...TWAT. Told you I had no sense back then.

Now, when I call Mum and Dad, Dad is enthusing all the time about "bikes this and bikes that".

Quote:
4. What bikes have you progressed to / thru?
The F650 was my first which I sold last year, went 6 months without a bike and recently bought a R1200GS. I loved my Dakar but I'm really enjoying that 1200...."Thanks" Dad to keeping the faith.
FlyingScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 12:41 AM   #33
MooseKiller
Tripod

Oddometer: 4,604
Quote:

I'll phrase the first question in my Mom's exact words, "WTF were you thinking?" (5 years later her opinion hasn't changed)

I was 31 when I got my license through the local rider's class. I got my 1st bike the following spring and I haven't looked back since... I had been wanting a bike since I was about 19 but due to life happening I wasn't able to get one until last year...

My first bike was (and still is) a Yamaha V-Star 650 Silverado. I had done my shopping years before and after a lot of looking that was the one I knew I was going to get. (Though I have to admit that I waffled a bit about a week before I bought it giving consideration to a DS...) I by far do not regret my decision, though I eagerly anticipate picking up a DS as soon as I am financially able to! I can't see myself ever getting rid of my Silverado though...

I think waiting to start riding was a very good thing, though I do miss the years that could have been. I have a maturity now that (I hope) will allow me to ride for many years to come. Had I started younger, my daughter may not have a father at this time.

I haven't progressed to another bike yet, but I was close to picking up a KLR650 a few months back. That dream was torn from me thanks to the evil IRS, but that is a different thread... Hopefully I can scrounge the green to get that KLR if it is still around, but if winter comes then I will save up to spring for a new DS next season... A BMW 650 GS, or 1200 GS if I am very very lucky!
Old 05-28-2005, 10:05 AM   #34
Stromski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
I took the MSF course in '03 when I was 36 with "no serious intention" of getting a bike. It was Feb '04 when I got around to taking the written test for my license. In March, I met a woman whom I thought might be "the one". Feeling like my days of disposable income and flexible priorities were getting fewer, I decided it was time for a bike. In April, I wandered in to a shop, sat on a KLX 400 and fell in love.

Girlfriend fretted, but approved and named my little KLX Sweetpea. That bike was stolen in October, then I found a deal on a DL650 in November.

5000 miles on the KLX (my heart and my butt ache when I think about that bike) and 6000+ miles on the WeeStrom.

Oh, by the way, Rosemary and I are going to be married on June 4th, two days after my 38th birthday.
Stromski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 07:26 PM   #35
Flumanchu
how does this work?

Oddometer: 16
Laugh Just turned 33....

When I was a little one I had a neighbor who had a BMW with a sidecar and have been waiting to get one ever since...

Two weeks ago I am sitting at a gas station waiting for a pump to free up and in rides an old man with a decked out r1150gs on his way across the country...I walked up and told him I couldn't wait until I get one and he said, "Don't wait as long as I did...." Bought my own r1150gs one week later and have been lovin it ever since.....
Flumanchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 07:48 PM   #36
MP40MAN
Last Ride?

Oddometer: 205
Does a week count?

Had a gold Honda 350 a year after I got out of high school, (20 years ago). Gave it up after a near miss in the first week.

A few years ago two bastard friends of mine got bikes one after another so I had to get one. Damnit!

I got a 1985 Yamaha Maxium then a Honda VTX1300, traded that this year for a 05 DL1000. The VTX just was not that good in the dirt And the cruiser look (village people look) just does not fit me.
MP40MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 10:36 PM   #37
northrider
Traveler

Oddometer: 313
Better Late Than Never

A friend taught me to ride his Yamaha XT600 on a highway construction site in South Africa when I was 26. I spent the next six months riding all over South Africa. I then proceded to not touch a bike for the next 15 years. At 40 I had a mild mid life crisis and decided it was time to start riding again. Took the MSF class and bought a KLR650 and fitted it out for touring. I sold the KLR with about 16,000 miles on it last winter and picked up a KTM950. Heading up to Dawson City Yukon and then to Inuvik Northwest Territory in a couple of weeks. I try to make one good trip a year and as many day trips as I can in a season and hope to keep going for the foreseeable future.
northrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 02:20 AM   #38
nostromo
n00b

Oddometer: 5
35 years-old new rider

Started riding this year with 35 year on my back. 8400 km in 3 months

BMW F650GS DAKAR (2005)

As little boy with his new toy. The main difference between fathers and children is the price of their toys.

A little fredom and peace

None to BMW Dakar

I'm thinking in a new bike, how about KTM dirt one?
nostromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:52 AM   #39
sillymike
Yep! That's me...

Oddometer: 135
I just started to ride at 34 (Canadian years, so that's about 26 US... does that still count )

KLR A10

If I would have bought a bike any younger... Chance's are I would have got a croch-rocket... and I wouldn't have live/kept my license this long! I'm glad the girlfriend wanted to get dual-sports motorcycles! (Yes, it was her idea!)

Still with the KLR... why change?

Safe riding,
Michel.
sillymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:14 PM   #40
northrider
Traveler

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
You're right "Better late than never".

I'm very interested in your upcoming trip. I plan to go to Inuvik in '06. If you would, please let me know how it goes. Good Luck!

I'll post some pics when I get back. We are going to meet up with a group of DS riders (mainly from Alaska, but some come up from all over) in Dawson for the 'Dust to Dawson' run. It's done every Summer on the weekend nearest the Summer solstace (June 21). Try and join us next year. There is usually someone going up to Inuvik as well.

As for making as many day trips as possible, I do this by riding to work every day.
Unfortunately I can't commute very often, have to take the kids to school/camp in the mornings. Most of the day trips are on the weekends although they are usually 300 miles or better.

Look me up if you make it to Alaska next Summer.
northrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:27 AM   #41
GSGIRL
Neither here nor there

Oddometer: 5,052
Took the MSF in 2000 when I was 35.
Started with an F650GS in 2001.
Moved up to an R 1150GS in 2003.
The rest is history.

The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see.

SmugMug Coupon: guwbixLxjaoTI
Save $5! I did!
GSGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:01 AM   #42
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGIRL
Took the MSF in 2000 when I was 35.
Started with an F650GS in 2001.
Moved up to an R 1150GS in 2003.
The rest is history.
I thought you were only 26 this year.

Jon
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:29 AM   #43
GSGIRL
Neither here nor there

Oddometer: 5,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz
I thought you were only 26 this year.

Jon
You are correct sir. My math is off. What do you expect, I graduated from UCONN.

The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see.

SmugMug Coupon: guwbixLxjaoTI
Save $5! I did!
GSGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 01:49 PM   #44
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,066
well I turned 40 last week....

yup....I turned 40 last week....no big deal....I have been in and out of bikes over the years...but lately cycles have taken front stage in my obsessive world.....push aside a few other hobbies (like flying, skydiving, sailing, scuba etc...LOL)...anyway...firends that I diverged from back in the riding days are showing up again and it is fun to catch up after 15 + yrs......and they all have kids and stuff that encumber their time and $$....so they are welcome to the stable I am building...their wives are hating me too.....hating I am back luring their hubbies away and wanting free time....so what...anyway...here is my dad and I on my first bike..a Honda Z50 paid for with my paper route monies...I miss them both.

freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 09:40 PM   #45
MikeCont
Gelande Strasse Gebrochen

Oddometer: 2,024
Quote:

I'll phrase the first question in my Mom's exact words, "WTF were you thinking?" (5 years later her opinion hasn't changed)

I was 54 when I bought my first bike....that was last november.

My first bike was an 04 r1150 gs. I was looking at RT's but the salesdood talked me into the GS. I paid the price for buying a tall, big bore bike. It was stupid of me to start with the "big dog." I had saved and paid cash for the bike, so I plunked down the green, and with no orientation rode it away. The second thing I did, not two hours later, was tip the beast over at a gas station.
I took the MSF course and have ridden 3800 miles since I purchased the bike. I bought the right gear and am becoming a better rider (no accidents or close calls, I have read a great deal and I practice all of the time).
I wish I had had the money earlier and started riding earlier. I had to overcome a great deal of parental resistance. My wife is very supportive of my riding.
I have probably only ridden three other bikes in my life....and that was in the the '70's and '80s for a total of 6 hours of riding.
The GS was fairly difficult to learn on, but it wasn't the bike...it was me. I now am not as tightly wound when I ride and I told my wife I would give up my car and truck(s) before I would give up my bike.
I want a ST 1300 honda and a r1200rt. I also want a thumper.
MikeCont is offline   Reply With Quote