Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2010, 06:44 AM   #601
frazman
Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer: 1,852
Got into it when I was 41...now have two seasons and about 20,000km under my belt right now. I rode dirt bikes sporadically as a kid. Had my mid-life crisis, took the OMSA course in spring 2009, got myself a KLR650 and have been enjoying it ever since...commuting, trail riding, backroad cottage runs and a couple of longish tours. I regret not doing it decades earlier. I have my eye on a BMW F800GS but have spent significant time on a BMW K1200LT (didn't like it), HD Street Glide (fun ride, but not my style) and Honda ST1300 (great sport-tourer, but a bit geeky for me)...all rentals while on business trips.. as well as the F800 and 1200GS/A (loved 'em!!!) at the BMW off-road course at the Performance Centre in SC. Good times!!!

frazman screwed with this post 09-18-2010 at 06:52 AM
frazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:41 PM   #602
2pofomo
I see dumb deer

Oddometer: 42
The Geezer that could...

I got back into riding at 44, having bought a well-preserved '92 Honda Nighthawk. I had been out of it for 20 years, after having to sell my bike in '86.

I always thought that it would be a hoot to take a big trip up to Alaska someday, but as time goes on it sometimes seems like a mirage in the distance. One guy shows that there is yet hope in his book "Motorcycling Stories", by Piet Boonstra (ISBN # 0-9718589-0-X). The book tells of his adventures when he went to Alaska for the first time when he was 51, through the final time (in the book) at age 76. -....WAY TO GO !!!!!!

"There are two ways to learn: Reading, and talking to people who know more than you do."
-Mark Twain

"A Superior Pilot uses his Superior Judgement so that he doesnt have to demonstrate his Superior Skills". (from: "Wager with the Wind").
2pofomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:49 PM   #603
apastron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I always tell the wife, "As far as mid-life crises go, it could be a hell of a lot worse..."
apastron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:37 AM   #604
frazman
Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastron
I always tell the wife, "As far as mid-life crises go, it could be a hell of a lot worse..."
+1000

be glad it was a KLR650, not a 19 year old Hooters waitress.
frazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:29 AM   #605
wasistdas
Banned

Oddometer: 9
Hint#6

Hint: to reverse strings i prefer stringfunction.com/reverse-string.html
I'm 35. Started riding late May this year. Decided to buy a Transalp as the 1st motorcycle after being ADVrider lurker for some time.

wasistdas screwed with this post 12-07-2010 at 08:05 AM
wasistdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:06 AM   #606
kpinvt
OLDnSLO

Oddometer: 76
I was 50 when I started thinking about riding after my wife suggested I needed a hobby like motorcycling. I was 51 when I took the MSF licensing class and now at 56 my fourth bike is a 2009 BMW G650GS. Last year the members of the BMW Motorcycle Owners of Vermont elected me VP.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:12 AM   #607
RamJet57
sometimes the tranni

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai
This is for anyone who started riding after age 30.

I'll phrase the first question in my Mom's exact words, "WTF were you thinking?" (5 years later her opinion hasn't changed)

2. What was your first bike?

3. How do you feel about starting so late?

4. What bikes have you progressed to / thru?
1. Was never allowed to own a pushie as a kid and got licence 10 years ago at 43.
2. Honda CM250 on "L's" then K1100LT
3. Glad that I started.
4. 89 R80GS highly modified, 81 R100RT, 03 650XLV Transalp, 00 Honda SL233, 97 R1100RS. Still own the last 4. looking now at the Triumph Adventure.
1981 BMW R100RT
RamJet57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:00 PM   #608
mavuk
n00b

Oddometer: 6
At the ripe old age of 31 I decided to get my bike license, I am 34 next week.

The first bike I bought was a Yamaha FZR400, mainly because it was cheap and I though I would drop and dink a it lot in the first couple of years.

I think it was the right move to pass my test later in life when allegedly I am a bit more sensible. I think for me personally to have had the chance to get my hands on a 1000CC superbike at 18.......well......I probably wouldn't be here now!

Bike history

Suzuki GS125 (Learning)
Suzuki GS500 (Learning)
Yamaha FZR400 Streetfighter (Still own)
KTM Adventure 950 (The reason I did my test!!)
mavuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:51 PM   #609
Electrojake
Career Neophyte

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai
This is for anyone who started riding after age 30.

I'll phrase the first question in my Mom's exact words, "WTF were you thinking?"
30?
Hell, I wish I was thirty.
I started riding at 50.
(Well, other than the typical teenage idiot motorcycle stuff I did in the early to mid 1970's which I don’t count).

I suspect my interest in riding will wane in the next few years and then it will go on the "yeah, I used to do that" list with aircraft, arborist work, technical tree climbing, muscle cars, 4x4's, blah, blah, etc. . .

Thus far my dear wife understands (tolerates) that my second childhood started when I was about 22 and is obviously going to follow me well into my 60's.
On the plus side, I have two teenage kids that think I'm "Super Dad" for obvious reasons. So it all works out rather well.

From the looks of this thread I'll assume that starting riding over age 30 is a negative?
I thought most Adventure Tourer types were old guys anyway?
Err, Perhaps I should use the term "mature"
Either way, the age question made for a great thread!
Cheers,
-Ej-

Electrojake screwed with this post 09-22-2010 at 04:25 PM
Electrojake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #610
Sabihondo
Mule or Monster

Oddometer: 59
WTF was I thinking?

1) WTF were you thinking?

In 2009, I took the Team Oregon (MSF) course a few weeks before my 39th birthday. I needed an additional form of transportation as my wife was going to be working out of state temporarily (taking our car with her) and we only have one parking space - which the bike fit into perfectly, behind the parking bumper.

I read hundreds of forum posts and articles on motorcycling year-round, and decided that it was something I could do and wanted to do.

2. What was your first bike?

I am still with my first love - a 2009 KLR 650 that I bought new. Nearly 7000 miles of smiles, and MANY farkles!

3. How do you feel about starting so late?

I was at least a little nervous about jumping into motorcycling, having never really ridden before - especially considering I was going to be commuting year-round in the PNW. But, I took the safety course, bought some good gear and a good bike, practice good riding habits, and went from never riding to commuting on a daily basis at interstate speeds - literally right away, and am very glad I did. I continue to learn more about the bike and myself every day. Starting out later in life allowed me to avoid riding while I was younger and much more foolhardy.

4. What bikes have you progressed to / thru?

I will not be tempted by sexy bikes! I only have eyes for my sweet tractor/mule!

Sabihondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:32 PM   #611
Electrojake
Career Neophyte

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinvt
I was 50 when I started thinking about riding after my wife suggested I needed a hobby like motorcycling. I was 51 when I took the MSF licensing class and now at 56 my fourth bike is a 2009 BMW G650GS. Last year the members of the BMW Motorcycle Owners of Vermont elected me VP.
NICE!
Especially the part about the wife suggesting it. :-)
Electrojake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #612
Houngan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I'm 38, on a G650GS, I've been riding for 3 weeks/800 miles. I try to remind myself ever time I get on the bike "You don't know what you're doing yet" and I try to pay attention at every curve to see if I can learn something. I just noticed that I was looking through right hand curves very well, but wasn't looking through left hand curves for whatever reason. Fixed that and drastically improved my cornering.

The main points about starting late are appreciating mortality and limitations. Hopefully I'll stay ATGATT and keep myself riding BELOW my ability and the bike's ability level in any but the most controlled environments.

H.
Houngan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:49 AM   #613
markk9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
I had a dirt bike, KX125, in the mid 80's as a teenager. But, I did not start riding a street bike until I was 39.

Mark
markk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #614
nanomoog
n00b

Oddometer: 1
At 38, just got myself a 2003 Tiger.

I love it, the wife's less keen.

When I was about 22, I was going to buy a YZF 750. Realized that I'd have killed myself, as I wasn't ready. Grown up a bit now, as things hurt when they go wrong, as they didn't then.

Still, dead chuffed with the Tiger.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:27 PM   #615
nc-rider
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Picked up an 03 Triumph Sprint at 50, then an 06 Sprint at 51.

Last time I rode was in college on dirt trails only for a few miles. Rented a Honda 750 with a buddy that did the same about the same era and rode for half a day.

I'm amazed my wife let me get the first one, and incredulous she let me get a second Triumph. 'Course I can forget the pillion seat, until my daughter is old enough to decide for herself.
nc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote