Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #616
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai
This is for anyone who started riding after age 30.

I'll phrase the first question in my Mom's exact words, "WTF were you thinking?" (5 years later her opinion hasn't changed)

2. What was your first bike?

3. How do you feel about starting so late?

4. What bikes have you progressed to / thru?
1. I was thinking I'll kick myself if I don't do what I want to do.
2. First bike was a Harley Sportster 883 Custom
3. I was 32 when I got it. My age wasn't a factor in this decision or any other. Still isn't a factor 5 years later.
4. I sold the Harley 2 years later. Now just started riding again but dual sport this time - have a little Suzuki DR200

It's all about getting out there and doing whatcha want! Now I am ridiculously excited about learning to ride more off-road in the DIRT! And I have the best boyfriend in the world to help me learn. :)
Old 09-27-2010, 04:12 AM   #617
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,802
I started riding at the age of 32.

And honestly...I don't know what I was thinking at the time..just the bike ws cheap and I'd always really wanted one. And of course...when I told me 'rents I heard comments like, "Here comes Evel Kineval" and "Look out, here's Hell's Angel". But..I've made it my mission to make their hair even greyer than it should be at thier ages...

My first bike was a Yamaha XS 750E with the Pacifico Fairing and Hard Bags. I learned more about wrenching with that bike than any I've owned sice.

I have no qualms about starting so late in life. I don't think I would have had the maturity to start any earlier in life. I've always been somewhat of an adrenaline junkie..and these days...this fits and has become my passion.

I've owned the Yahama XS which I sold for double what I paid for it a year later. I then purchased a Vulcan 900 Classic LT. I put almost 40K on that bike in 3 years, but realized shortly after I bought it, I had bought the wrong bike. I added a second bike to the stable when I bought a Barney Purple Voyager XII. In the year I owned it..I put almost 25k on the clock, until it had an unfortunate meeting with a guardrail. I'm now riding an '07 V-Strom 1000 and have found my "Mistress". She and I will spend many nights this winter...farkling late into the night.

C.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #618
rgl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I started riding at 14. quite at 16 and began again at 53. Here is the story

My folks didn't want me to have a motorcycle but with my persistance and hard headness they said i could have one if i earned the money and bought it myself, so i did. I will never forget the day my dad put that Suzuki 90 on the back of that Ford Fairlane we had. I rode it a few years and then my thoughts turned to girls.

Fast forward to 3 years ago. I have been married for 30 years and durning that time i finished college, got married, bought a house, and had two kids.
Three year ago the last kid finishe college, the house is paid off and the kids college loans paid off and i got to thinkng motorcycles again. Every spring i always got the fever to ride again and so i went and took the safty class and bought a Honda 1100 ACE. I rode that bike for two years and then bought a BMW R1100RT.

My wife gave me her blessing but didn't want to ride with me. Last year she came down with brain canncer (GBM) and had surgery and came out a different person. She decided she wanted to start riding with me so that is when i bought the BMW. We have spent many good day riding the the mountains and back roads here in Colorado.

As far as i am concerned you are never to old to start riding.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #619
c5babe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgl

My wife gave me her blessing but didn't want to ride with me. Last year she came down with brain canncer (GBM) and had surgery and came out a different person. She decided she wanted to start riding with me so that is when i bought the BMW. We have spent many good day riding the the mountains and back roads here in Colorado.

rgl
I hope you and your wife ride together for many more years.
c5babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:31 AM   #620
5150esses
leotarded

Oddometer: 36
Life begins

I'll bite.

I daydreamed about it for ten years but never had the money due to med school loans. Then I started making a little money and walked into Bob's BMW to buy a custom Vanson jacket. I was 30. The guy at Bob's knew nothing about how to measure for a Vanson jacket, but the saleslady got me into a used F650CS in the dead of winter.

I scared myself a little, took Total Control 1, Total Control 2, two levels of Keith Code, and rode in the dirt at Lee Parks' house with my dad and a friend from college.

(When I was 30, my dad bought a 125-cc Honda in Mexico after 40 years of not riding. He did not tell me about Rhonda the Honda, and I did not tell him about Gail the F650CS. We eventually figured out we could go ride together. . . )

After 5,000 miles on the thumper I sold to a urologist last year and bought a brand new Tiger, which now has 2,000 miles on it. Got my first speeding ticket yesterday.

I have mixed feelings about starting late. I was at Budds Creek today and saw a bunch of teenagers do things I will never be able to do on a motorcycle. But there were times in my teens and twenties when I might not have been too terribly responsible. Coming to it late allowed me to come to it entirely on my own and do it the way I'd always wanted to.

That said, if there is a SWMBO in my future, the kiddos get 50-cc Hondas right after getting drownproofed. If motorcycling isn't their thing, they can rebel by being gay or going into surgery.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:15 PM   #621
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
I only started riding when I was about 34. I'm 40 now. Rode a few dirt bikes when younger but mothing more than a few hours at a time with my friend who always had motorcycles growing up. Mom was an OR nurse and forbade us to even THINK about getting a bike. Well, fast forward to being grown and living on the West coast and still having the urge to ride. Took the MSF class and was on my way. Once I passed I was certified to ride a motorcycle in a parking lot around mini cones.

First bike was a 1999 Suzuki Bandit 600S. Good first bike. Heavy enough (I was commuting over the Bay Bridge from Oakland to SF) and not too powerful that it was gonna be a disaster if you twist the throttle a bit.

Next was a 2001 Suzuki 1200N which to this day I wish I still had. Awesome power, comfort and bang for your buck. Major flaw of that bike which is suspension can be sorted by throwing on a GSXR front end and an upgraded rear shock ( I had a FOX Clicker that worked well). Oh and a tasty carbon Remus pipe that sounded perfect. More of a growl.

I moved to Hawaii for a little bit and got rid of the 1200 and bought a DRZ 400SM while living there. Perfect bike for the islands. Great to throw around all the backroads and even took it to the off road area at Kahuku a few times. Brought it back to the mainland but it wasn't enough bike for a lot of the riding I do here i.e. poor bike for slab duty.

Present day is my favorite so far. 2006 KTM 950SM. I bought this bike new as a leftover in 2008. I've put 35,000 smiles on the bike. Just upgraded the exhausts to Wings titanium. They are awesome. I love the bike as it is just pure joy to ride. It does touring duty without missing a beat and rides two-up in comfort (relative to tohter sport oriented machines) the only downside is that it leads to a lot of one-on-one with local law enforcement.

As far as starting late, I wish I did it years earlier, but have taken a more measured approach to learning. I wear good gear, try to limit my risks, but ride it aggressively. I ride in all kinds of weather all year round. Once the nice weather comes, I rarely drive my car and use the bike as my primary transport.

I became hooked the second i threw a leg over the bike at the MSF class. Within two weeks of passing, I had bought my first bike used and then worked my way up to commuting in Bay Area traffic. I was petrified the first time I took it on the freeway, but that went away as i racked up the miles. Lanesplitting soon became my friend.

i smile more if i get to ride. It is one of the most effective "therapies" for melancholy or boredom.

Enjoy!!
Old 03-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #622
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Bike 1

First bike. It evolved into more of a street-fighter...
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2011, 12:20 PM   #623
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

2nd Bike

Then this pre-front-end swap.
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #624
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Ktm

Favorite so far. Pre-wings install.
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #625
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,711
My father started riding when he was 58 after retiring from NASA. He started on a 1978 Gold Wing and finished on a 1992 Gold Wing. He started getting Alzheimers at 79 and I took the bike from him and sold it. Twenty-one accident free years of riding. He used to ride from Huntsville up to the Finger Lakes to visit us when we lived there. He passed away in 2007.

I had ridden since I was a teenager and he never cared for motorcycles at all until I brought home a 1975 Gold Wing. The bike appealed to him and that is what got him started. I sold my Wing two years later and bought a BMW R100RS but he stayed with the Gold Wings ('78, '82, '88, and '92). I guess he was the stereotypical Gold Wing codger.

Motorcycle touring may not have added years to his life, but it definitely added life to his years. I'm glad he got to do it.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #626
Asatrur
Newbie KLR adv rider

Oddometer: 1,183

1. I started riding at 32, after I figured I got all my antics out of my system. Based on how fast I like to descend mountain passes on my road bicycle, I know I was not ready before that.

Honda shadow 700

Better than being dead based on question 1

Shadow, Connie, and now the proud owner of a new to me KLR; stogies all around
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...Op8LhphYfeBJ9I

Asatrur screwed with this post 05-16-2011 at 08:14 AM Reason: Read the questions, man I never change
Asatrur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:39 PM   #627
higear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Bought my first bike July of last year at the age of 47.

Orange '09 Wee. Shoulda done it YEARS ago. Put 8000+ miles on it so far and a new set of Shinko's on it Saturday.
higear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #628
rspennac
Super n00b

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai View Post

I'll phrase the first question in my Mom's exact words, "WTF were you thinking?" (5 years later her opinion hasn't changed)

The response I got for #1 when I informed the wife was... You're such an asshole!

2. R1200RT

3. I actually had a street bike in high school but didn't really ride much so I sold it. The RT arrived 3 years ago when I was 36. I am pretty happy about it now. I think I have the right perspective now, I didn't before.

4. I still have only one bike. in addition I want a liter bike next (ZX-10 or a 1098)
rspennac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:14 PM   #629
spibbie
ninja 250 noob

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai View Post

Started year and a half ago, at age 52

1. I thought it would be fun.

2. Ninja 250

3. This may sound very odd, but I really never even considered owning a motorcycle until late in 2009. I got the bike within a month. So I didnt start late.

4. Still riding the ninja, quite a lot of miles too, 31,000 or so.
spibbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #630
Yakima
Whee! Wee Strom

Oddometer: 309
I was 54

last year. Rebuilt a 1974 Suzuki GT250 two stroke. First bike. Free.
Took a week tour to Montana, 1,000 miles in four days riding. Lolo Pass

Engine blew up last fall. Picked up a 1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 which I'm now rebuilding. Planning a two week trip to Colorado, returning via Yellowstone and Lolo Pass again (new riding partner; never been there).

I've not done much with the bike, but plan to: it will have to be my last bike for awhile.

I'm having a blast. My wife is supportive but won't ride with me. "I want my own bike!" she says, which we cannot afford.

Knowing me, waiting until my 50's was probably a good thing. Lots of other interests along the way, this one happened at the right time. The wife says I'm happier than I've been in years, with the wrenching and the riding.

Can't argue with her.
Yakima is offline   Reply With Quote