User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #736
Blame Canada
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Cool2 Finally learned to ride

So, I finally got off my ass, and took a Riding Course (Vtwin Motorcycle School thru UCFV).

I'm 38, and sat on a motorcycle for the first time on Monday at 8:30am. I was riding figure 8's in the parking lot by 11:00am!!

Passed the MSA 11:00 on Tuesday (skills test required in BC).

Then spent the Thursday road riding around town, and Friday doing Freeway, Highway, heavy downtown traffic, & back roads.

(Also, two evenings of classroom theory in the prior week)

What a blast. Why o why did I wait so long?!!!

I regret not learning earlier, so I'd be more experienced now that I have family responsibilities.
Blame Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #737
BillsburgGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
First rode when I was 44, now I am 50.

I'd been watching riders all spring and summer and just decided that at 44 if I wasn't going to do it now I never would. Despite parents, friends, wife, etc. saying "its too dangerous" I figured eh....44 is probably old enough to decide for myself.

I made that decision on a Tuesday evening. That Friday night I started my weekend MSF class and finished it on Sunday. I passed the road test that next Friday morning and bought a used Honda Shadow 10 days after first deciding to try riding.

The next spring I bought a Harley Road King Classic, and 2 years later swapped it out for an F800 GS.. Third times a charm.
BillsburgGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #738
philincr
n00b

Oddometer: 3
About 17 years old I brought up the idea of a motorcycle. The response was to take my clothes with me when I pick it up since I wouldn't be allowed to live at home if I bought it. Wasn't ready to move out of the house so no bike. Never gave it much thought after that. Then about 40 years old decided to take the MSF course. Before buying a bike I decided to start my own business which didn't leave enough money to buy a bike. At 48 I moved to the end of a dirt road on a peninsula in Costa Rica. I didn't have a vehicle and the nearest towns were about 20 miles away by community bus or 45 minutes by boat, neither of which ran every day. I finally bought a Suzuki 125 with a milk crate top case and a machete. Actually enjoyed and rode it there for a year and a half. Now you have to realize, I am 6'2", 260 pounds and I felt like the clown in the circus. That little thing cried over each bump. Now at 53 I finally bought a Vstrom DL1000 and have been able to only put on about a thousand miles. Yesterday was the first day I finally really felt comfortable on a motorcycle on the highway, in city traffic and alone in the mountains. I'm really looking forward to where this can lead.
philincr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #739
davidbeinct
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Started riding at 40, ten years ago. Had plenty of friends who rode when younger, always liked bikes, parent, especially mother, very anti-motorcycle.

"WTF were you thinking?"

I was considering some sort of a project car, one of my dream cars from my youth. Got chatting with some guys at a clam shack who were touring the east coast on euro-bikes (BMWs and Ducatis). They had good gear and seemed to take an adult approach, different from the cruise around with no helmet in nice weather guys I was used to seeing. I realized that I could get more performance bang for my buck with a bike than fixing up an old Lancia or Porsche.

2. What was your first bike?

Kawasaki KL250 Super Sherpa. Took the BRC, spent lots of time practicing on back roads and in dirt. Loved the dirt riding, but it's a lot easier to find places to ride my mountain bike.

3. How do you feel about starting so late?

Great. Kinda glad I didn't start in my teens or twenties. Would like to continue my education with a track school.

4. What bikes have you progressed to / thru?

From the Sherpa went to a Ducati Monster 620, from there to a Moto Guzzi Breva 1100.

David B.
davidbeinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:35 AM   #740
dvebe9
Blarg Honk

Oddometer: 14
I'll phrase the first question in my Mom's exact words, "WTF were you thinking?" (5 years later her opinion hasn't changed)

- Will be starting at the end of this month (April 2013) at 30 years of age, as for what I was thinking... Always been interested in bikes and figured that if I do not get on one now I never will, so I went on a novice course to see if it actually was for me and the answer was a big yes.

- 2013 BMW F800GS (collecting soon)

- Indifferent to be honest, now that I am actually doing it I guess would like to have started sooner, but I recon I have gotten most of the "youthful exuberance" out of my system and am not getting into it for the thrills but for the enjoyment.

- None... yet.

Blarg Honk
dvebe9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #741
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 695
rode a dirt bike -- a xr80, i think it was (plastic was loooong gone), from age 11 to 15. it was a duct taped, fourth-hand abomination, but i LOVED it. then my second cousin killed himself in a dumb dirt bike accident (he was drunk), and my dad got rid of the bike. i was soo pissed. however, we got an amiga computer and i got obsessed with programming, and kinda forgot about it, plus all my friends had moved onto expensive atvs/three-wheelers which my poor-ass fam couldn't afford.

later, at age 36, i was in kona with my wife and we rented a scooter for the heck of it. no idea what came over me, but i became OBSESSED with bikes. took the msf course when we got back and bought a ratty old 1995 cbr250 off of a friend. i rode the crap out of it, but my carpal tunnel had been getting progressively worse in my left hand, and even the moderately gentle clutch on the 250 really aggravated it. i was off the bike for almost a year due to multiple surgeries and i figured i wasn't gonna ride a bike, so i got a scooter -- a honda sh150i. it was a blast, but i still wanted a proper-ish bike, so i bought a 2010 aprilia mana 850 gt, which i started using as a commuter. it really kindled my love of riding to a new level, and went all over the west side of the state on it. (i think my wife was getting worried i had a mistress or something! NO-ONE BUT THE HIGHWAY, BABY.) put about 3K on it that year.

however, fuckin' carpal tunnel was getting worse, and i had another surgery -- and the slightly sporty (albeit upright position) was still causing my hand to really cramp/spasm badly due to the occasional weight i'd put on it. i'd also bought a sportcity 250 just, uhhhhh, 'cuz, and i wound up using it more for commuting than the mana because the scooter seating position kept me straighter and i didn't roll into work with my hand feeling like i'd stuck it in that gom jabbar box from dune. this year, i upgraded the sportcity to a bv 350 for a better freeway commute experience, and i'm reluctantly trading the mana down for the more cruiser like ctx700. i'm hoping the ctx700 pans out, or at nearly 40, i'm kinda screwed for any sort of motorcycling experience over thirty minutes or so (unless they get some sort of magic pill for early-onset arthritis and carpal tunnel). :-(

at my barely middle-age, sticking to scooters seems WAY too limiting, but the auto bike selection is paltry -- it's the mana or one of honda's dct bikes. maxi-scoots are -- and no offense -- the domain of really old dudes who have retired from their mega-bikes, and i'm just not ready for that image. (i occasionally feel the bv 350 is drifting into that image, but needs must. also it is an AWESOME scoot.)

ah well, if my busted-ass hand limits my riding, then i'm saying fuck it and riding short stints on a street triple r.

quasigentrified screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 06:55 PM
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:26 AM   #742
SilverFaux
never satisfied

Oddometer: 131
- Did quite a bit of pillion riding in high school. Got branded "best passenger" Only got the bars a couple of times. Left me wanting more, so to answer "what the frack were you thinking?" FRAKKEN FINALLY!!!!!! 43 and ready to roll then and was on the bike every day for almost a year. I'm now 48 and getting the bike fixed and getting back out again.

1989 Honda Pacific Coast 800

I'm glad to check one more thing off the list of "things I might regret if I don't".

One step at a time. Still own the Honda. I still love the way she looks and I know she's a comfortable cruise. Probably never get rid of her. The next one will be a dual sport :)
"We should all be riding the bike that puts the biggest smile on our face. Fast, slow, heavy, light, 1cyl, 2cyl, 3cyl, 4cyl, 6cyl, American mfg., Japanese mfg., European mfg., it's all good if it makes you smile, no?" - Roadscum
And if not,
SilverFaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #743
Docman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Ahh what the hell, here's my story.

I asked my parents for a dirt bike when I was a teen, the answer was "NEVER!!! IT'S TO DANGEROUS!! and to never ask that stupid question again" shit I even though they would put me up for adoption. So I told myself maybe one day when I get the money and I'm old enough etc...I would get it on my own.
So I joined the Infantry on my 18th Birthday, go figure my parents were proud (that's not dangerous). In 1993 I was shot to shit in the Balkans 24/7 and finally injured in an ambush that nearly cost me my life.
I regained consciousness in the chopper being air lifted to a field hospital with a multitude of injuries. I had only one thing on my mind "riding a motorcycle".
After 2 long years of therapy and surgery, I had saved up the money to buy a little dirt bike, I was 30 yrs old. My fist bike was a KX 125 (thank God).
When my father learned about my purchase, he gave me the worst blast of shit ever and that I would hurt myself and on and on and....it was dangerous.
Dangerous heh? ( I leave the rest to your imagination)

I'm 42 now and I have owned a few dirt bikes, a few road bikes. I have now a Harley Electra glide, WR250R and working on getting a new F800GS. I need to ride to stay focused, after war it's a therapy for me.
The old man still shakes his head to this day!! I think he's just jealous!!!

Cheers!!!
Docman Rides You Tube Channel
Docman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #744
mountaincadre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Its not myself but a friend who has just passed his CBT(compulsary bike training) aged 41, he is going out with us on regular rides to get a wee bit more experience. In just over 6 weeks the four of us head to Morocco, he's going on a Honda Valedero 125, Edinburgh to Morocco and back with a jaunt in the sahara for me(ktm) and him on the valedero,respect to him, minimal touring alright.
mountaincadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #745
jimmyx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Thumb

I had a Honda ct90 when I was younger (I think I was 13/14) .I did'nt get another bike until I was about 36('81 XT 500).I think I started later because I had been into off-roading old Toyota Landcruisers and was in Moab for a Landcruiser event ,we were on the porcupine rim trail creeping along when we were passed up by a guy on a DRZ 400. I thought"now that seems like a better(and way cheaper!),more fun way to move across this terrain" Later that year I purchased a used'96 Beta Zero 260 trials bike, after that I was sold! The trials bike was great to learn on , as you are up in the pegs constantly and the bike is very forgiving so you can build confidence(off-road) a bit faster. Eventually I needed more power and and did not want to be held hostage by having to trailer my bike for every ride so I purchased a KLR 650 , great bike but had it's limitations on the trail. Now I am 45 and ride a street legal Honda XR650r! I love this bike. I also have an '87 BMW K100 that I am converting into a gravel runner/ scrambler. Now I am freaking obsessed with riding!

Dorothy Parker

jimmyx screwed with this post 04-14-2013 at 05:04 PM
jimmyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #746
vae
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I was 38 the first time I sat on a bike.
It was something I had always wanted to do and I thought I'd better do it before I hit the big 40.
Learnt on a Honda vtr250 (wrecked), then saw a Moto Guzzi breva 750 I couldn't live without, then a Ducati ss1000, and now a Yammie FZ8n. Still have them.
I think I'm making up for lost time. 4 years later and about 60000 kms later.
As I pull up at work, I used to say to my boss you can teach old dogs new tricks!
vae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #747
Life is good
Traveller

Oddometer: 2
I started @ 34. Now 38.
First bike - Genuine Buddy 125
Second bike - Yamaha Majesty 400
Third and current bike- BMW 1200gs
Didn't realize I was starting late. If I wanted to ride any earlier in my life, I would have.
Life is good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #748
SplitRock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
My Two Cents...

I'm now 42, got my first bike at 40. A good friend had a KLR and a DRZ, so I thought I'd have a psyched partner and a bit of a mentor. In Northern Minnesota we have a lot of cool areas to explore.

My first bike is my 2011 KLR 650. Just about to roll over the 8,000 mile mark as I begin my 3rd riding season.

The KLR is currently my only bike, but I do like the idea of an F800GS. Or a big fat KTM 990. Also something like a WR250 for tight trailwork. I really wish somebody would have told me, upon buying my first bike, that I would ultimately want a few.

While I don't mind coming to the party late, I do wish I would have pulled the trigger several years ago. It's probably good that I wasn't riding through my 20's.

I have noticed that it sure is fun to look at new and different motorcycles. It's really easy to say "I'd love that new bike." But it seems to me that the question should be "What type of riding do I want to do." The bike options will flow from that question.

Brent
SplitRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #749
jecyammy
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Bought the first bike I ever so much as threw a leg over just over a year ago at age 54. "WTF were you thinking?" A question I hear from most every member of my family. I was thinking "I'd like to try this, and at age 54, I've earned it. If I don't do it now, I'm gonna be too old." So I did.

What was your first bike? First and present bike, a Yamaha WR250X. Got it to ride the pavement to the forest service roads I like to explore. The only problem is, I like riding on the pavement more than I thought I would, and other machines are already starting to catch my eye.

How do you feel about starting so late? Wish I'd started sooner, but glad I didn't start a lot sooner. I would have ridden unprotected, and like a madman, and killed myself had I hopped on two wheels in my 20's.

What bikes have you progressed to / thru? None . . . yet. But they're talkin' to me.
jecyammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #750
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
Started at 38 (where time went i have no idea)
06 fz6 & still on it.
No regrets about starting when i did 'cause i'd be dead if it
was earlier. Starting in las vegas keeps me on my toes.
I can ride year round comfortably but still have my truck.
Learning to ride in vegas is interesting.
fz6kd7 is online now   Reply With Quote