Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #766
ZiaThunder
Go big or go home

Oddometer: 309
1. WTF were you thinking?"

I was 38. I had always wanted to ride but parents, then the ex wouldn't let
me near them. So for my 38th birthday I took the MSF class.

2. What was your first bike?

I left the MSF class on Sat went to a dealer ship, I bought a brand new 05 Buell CityX.

3. How do you feel about starting so late?

I regret not starting sooner. This is way too much fun.

4. What bikes have you progressed to / thru?

I put 27,000 miles on that Bulel in 13 months. I traded it in for a 06 Trimuph Sprint. Which I still have, it only has 45,000 miles on it. In 07 I discovered road racing, so I wasn't riding on the street as much. I started dirt riding in 2012. All together I figure I've done about 120,000 miles on all the bikes I've had since 2005.
ZiaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #767
mtnbikeboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Here are my answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai View Post
This is for anyone who started riding after age 30.

I'll phrase the first question in my Mom's exact words, "WTF were you thinking?" (5 years later her opinion hasn't changed)

I was thinking that I had wanted to own a motorcycle for an extended period of time and it was time to follow through on it. I had had friends give me brief instruction on their bikes and allow me to ride them around parking lots, but that was the extent of my pre-30 riding.

The first bike I rode on the street was a 1982 CM250C I shared with my wife. The first bike I owned was a 1989 Honda TransAlp I purchased disassembled.

I feel my years of driving & commercial driving prepared me to be more aware in traffic. I also was past the "invincibleness" of my teenager/low 20s.

Currently our stable is the CM250, my second TA (first was stolen), and my wife's DR650. I have also ridden a friend's Buell 1125R, and an early Virago.
mtnbikeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #768
DirtSolace
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
L3,4 & 5 in my back finally cost me surfing... at 61

Left knee surgeries took too much cartilage so I lost Snow Boarding and Hard Pack skiing because of painful vibration into the knee

Thought about getting back into Sailboats, and then it DAWNED ON ME: MOTORCYCLES! (December 2013 at 63)

I had never had the money or time to be a dirt bike rider like many (most) of my friends, somehow that had passed me by....

So I committed. Found out quickly I wasn't going to start (and not kill myself) on a REAL bike with a high seat. So, I bought an XT250 and dropped it a lot but had figured out many things by the 2000 mile mark-my street to dirt ration is always around 2/1.

Committed to a KTM 690 and am incredibly happy about "bikes" and probably living to tell about it because I am old enough to be cautious in my pursuit of skill building--though I have been hurt in the learning curve (separated shoulder being the worse)

I average about 200 miles a week--which means 60-70 miles of dirt. I took a Rawhyde course shortly after getting the 690 (April). I'm close to 5000 miles on the 690 and think I'm living in a dream. The backcountry solitude and physical experience is just the replacement for the things I have lost. Adding power from an external source solves the knee and back issues nicely.

Still haven't lost Powder Skiing and Windsurfing so currently--Life if full!

My lines on asphalt and dirt are just starting to resemble the lines I can "carve" in powder and used to "carve" on a wave face.

stoked--stan
DirtSolace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #769
Allmendinger
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I'll bite..

and I'll make this my first post..

I turned 46 this year. Always wanted to ride, and just never pulled the trigger. I took the class last year, picked up a starter bike this year, and dammit if you guys don't have me looking at a Tiger 800 for next season!

Quote:

I'll phrase the first question in my Mom's exact words, "WTF were you thinking?" (5 years later her opinion hasn't changed).. I haven't told my mom.. She hasn't seen most of my tattoos, either..

2. What was your first bike? Honda CB500f

3. How do you feel about starting so late? I honestly am willing to admit I have limitations, and don't have to prove anything to anyone but myself. I'd have killed myself in my 20s..

First season on the 500.. I think I'll sell it next year for a Tiger.. You have given me the bug.

Chris
Allmendinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #770
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,534
Cool2

I was seven.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #771
InsideThePerimeter
North GA bound

Oddometer: 132
1. "WTF were you thinking?"

I was 48 years old and at the remembrance party for a friend that got killed in a paragliding contest and thought - You only live once then you are dead forever.
Told my wife I was going to learn to ride and took the MSF class 2 weeks later on Labor Day week.
My parents hated motorcycles and forbid me or my brother to ever ride one as kids. Parents still have no idea me or my wife ride.

Bought a 2005 Honda Shadow 750 with red flames and Cobra pipes off craigslist, learned basic maintence and rode it ~ 2000 miles. Learned to really hate loud pipes and the cruiser riding position in general.

I'd probably have had a blast riding when I was young but it's still awesome being outside, feeling the wind, the speed and the danger of freedom.

Wanted to ride more and take overnight trips so I bought my wife the MSF class, all the gear and a Suzuki GZ250 from an inmate for Christmas last year.
My wife was a bad ass Adventure Racer, is a huge cyclist and generally a risk taker herself.

Sold the Shadow and her GZ250 is going to another friend as his first bike next week.

Wife and I both have Wee Stroms now and just got back from a trip to Knoxville and back through the North Georgia Mountains last weekend.
We intentionally skipped the Tail of the Dragon as it was a gorgeous Sunday and likely to be a Zoo and I was worried she wasn't ready.

After watching her sail down 68 and 60 from Tellico Plains to Dahlonega I know she's got it, really smooth with almost no brakes and nice control just like on her mountain bike.

We both want to learn to ride off road now.

I'm glad to find motorcycling as it's something I can do for many many years to come now that some of the more strenuous activities like Ultimate Frisbee, Trail Ultra Marathons, Adventure Racing and other such stuff is kinda fading away as once you can't perform at the level you used to it becomes less fun.

And like our smart aleck 14 year old daughter told me "At least you won't die young. "

If you Don't Believe in Freedom For All -You Don't Believe in Freedom at All

InsideThePerimeter screwed with this post 10-15-2013 at 01:31 PM
InsideThePerimeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #772
Horizontal
Goatin' Around

Oddometer: 266
Great thread.

After my divorce, I decided to treat myself to something nice. So I enrolled in the local MSF Course and bought a used 82 Honda CX500 with about 22,000 miles on the clock. I was 56 and had never ridden before, so I guess that makes me a late bloomer.

Now I wish I'd started sooner, but considering the dumb stuff I've done when I was younger (like leaving a perfectly good motel room to drive out of Flagstaff in a total blizzard), it probably worked out for the best.

Horizontal screwed with this post 10-18-2013 at 06:00 PM
Horizontal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:55 PM   #773
Inzane123
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I started at the ripe old age of 38. This past spring, I had some work friends buy some bikes and they kinda peer pressured me into getting on a bike as well. Frankly, it didn't take a whole lot of arm twisting, I had wanted a bike since I was a wee lad.

BTW, I think Honda made the new CB500 series for people like me who wanted to get their feet wet, but also wanted something that would be a blast to ride.
Inzane123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:41 AM   #774
shezonit
just a few more miles,eh?

Oddometer: 274
I got my first bike at 54. I looked online for a Honda under $2000. A GL500 Interstate came up- low miles, $1400. Bingo! Just what I wanted. Cheap, comfortable, reliable and had saddlebags because I knew I wanted to tour.I rode that bike around Montana one summer and then to Alaska the next spring. 8 years later, I am up to a Concours 1400... And I've ridden about 100,000 miles, including 8 trips to Mexico. I learned off road in 2008, and have ridden the Copper Canyon 5 times since then. I put 32,000 miles on a KLR in 4 years. My "peak" ride was October 2012- I rode an '84 GoldWing to Oaxaca and back- 5200 miles of gorgeous ride.

I wish I had started younger, but I may not have survived it..... I encourage everyone to ride- you're never too old to start. Its given me a passion and a focus.i feel a sense of accomplishment when I ride tricky roads on a monster bike..... I keep saying when I get too old to throw my leg over a bike, I will get a 650 scooter and keep riding.
GL500,GL650, VFR700, ST1100' KLR650, DL650, GL1100, GL1200, KLX250, Concours 14. Still own and ride the last 3.
SHE
shezonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #775
KoolBreeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
started street biking this year... (hadn't really ridden dirt bikes in years)

late forties and it's about time! wish I would've done this m-a-n-y years ago. picked up a R1200GS early spring and can't ride enough.
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #776
Mow-ree
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I'll phrase the first question in my Mom's exact words, "WTF were you thinking?" (5 years later her opinion hasn't changed)

Had always wanted to ride, finally got the nerve after turning 30.

Yamaha XJ750. It was already 25+ years old when I got it, so a couple slow speed drops didn't really even hurt her a bit.

Part of me feels I'd have way better skills (especially offroad) if I started earlier. But the other part of me is glad I didn't learn to ride til I was mellowed out! By the time I learned to ride, any desire for being a hooligan was gone!

I've since picked up a DR650 and just got a yamaha stryker. Picked up a bigger harley too soon after learning to ride (yeah I'm that guy) and never felt comfortable on it. Sold it to buy a house a couple years ago. Really learned to ride on the DR650 though.
Mow-ree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #777
KoolBreeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:

ok guess I didn't play right...

1. I was thinking how I've always enjoyed "Adventure Touring" using other means than a motorcycle yet how I often looked at the motorcycle as an alternative for solo travel that would be rather fitting. If only I could get over the aspect of killing myself on one as I have a tendency to drive hard which self-awareness meant the possibility of an accident was high. cruisers have never had much appeal but they seemed the way to go to keep this in check... thankfully I never went that route as it's just not me. now I feel I should've started this y-e-a-r-s ago on "something"... but my ignorance about alternatives to chains (maintenance) and cruisers (just not my thing) along with family together concept kept me from pursuing it much.

basically I was asleep/ignorant and woke up/became aware and took the plunge.

2. on road? 09 R1200GS. it's working out pretty well so far. now I want a garage full of motorcycles. oops. must control this urge.

3. read number 1.

4. read number 2.
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #778
black top bob
gray goat

Oddometer: 17
gravel goat

Interesting thread. When I was a teenager in the early sixties I borrowed and crashed a couple of bikes. Demolished one of them through barbed wire and a tree. Gravel road, too fast etc. No license or permits, just stupid, but fun. Then I made my own bike from parts I bolted together in 1960. It fell apart while I was riding down a highway. Hurt pretty bad Fast forward, forty years, I was 50 in 1999, and bought a 1500 Suzuki intruder (Harley envy-but no money) then a Gold Wing I put 60K on it, then two old Yamaha650's to turn into café racers, and now a Kawasaki 250 and I love this little bike, its fun to ride. I love the dirt. Man if I could have done this stuff when I was a kid, I'd probably be dead, but moto cross stuff looks great to my old ass.
Just retired from a lifetime of working shit, and I'm getting ready to ride the TAT next year ,late summer with my girl friend (unless my wife finds out).
I've been lurking on this thread for a while but I sure have learned a lot from so many interesting riders, and folks with a lot more experience than me especially in the dirt. Peace
black top bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #779
Woodenveins
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 404
Started at 51

I would say I really started riding at 51.
I bought a Yamaha 650 way back in my teenage years and only had it for 3 - 4 months.

Every time I got on it I wanted to fly, should have bought a plane.
I purchased a new KLR back in April and I decided I was going to start riding again and just try to enjoy being out there seeing the sites.

I looked at several bikes and mainly decided on the KLR for two main reasons. Number 1, it doesn't go really fast and number 2, I can take it off road if and when I choose. After riding the bike since April I'm thinking more like I should own 2 bikes, one for cruising the countryside and a smaller bike to take off road but I will probably stick with the KLR for a long while to come.
Woodenveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #780
lynch180
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
lynch180 is offline   Reply With Quote