User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2015, 08:17 PM   #1
tremmy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
KTM LED aux light help

G'day anyone out there fitted these to 990. Just wondering if I have them right. Setting 1 has no lights, aux or headlight. Setting 2 just low beam. Setting 3, flow beam and led's on when full beam on. From what I read it doesn't seem quite right, however most examples are OS.
Cheers

All fixed shouldn't do thing after night shifts..

tremmy screwed with this post 01-23-2015 at 07:59 PM
tremmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:37 AM   #2
Getitdirty
Ride Bosnia

Oddometer: 17
Aux lights

I have a 990 Adv (2012) EU spec. and recently fitted 2 Duallys (Rigid Industries) on a BDCW mount. Wanted handle bar control for the auxiliary lights so upgraded the start/emergency off switch to the KTM combo switch (OEM part) and aux lighting wiring (also OEM from KTM). The switch and wiring is simple 'plug and play' so you don't need to be a technician to fit it. Just need patience to run the loom neatly.

Using this set up the aux lights switch has 3 positions. (1) Aux lights always OFF; (2) ON only when the headlight is on high beam; and (3) Always ON (regardless of headlight status). All this assumes the ignition is on.

Its an ideal set up if you do on and off road travel as the Duallys are very bright and in some countries may not be permitted for on-road (although that doesn't stop me blinding dickheads coming the other way on the wrong side of the road).

I fitted the Duallys because the stock headlight is ok, but not that great. In the Balkans there are loads of unlit tunnels on the roadways, so I find having the spot lights on the triple clamp is great as it allows the lights to move with the handle bars rather than be fitted to the frame.

While I had the headlight out I ran a wiring loom from the Aux 2 power terminals via an illuminated switch on the dash, through to the storage box and connected another 12V socket (leaving enough cable to move it into a tank bag if desired).

Hope this is helpful.

Getitdirty screwed with this post 01-24-2015 at 08:21 AM
Getitdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:42 AM   #3
tremmy OP
Adventurer

Thanks for that, thats what the intsructions say it should do.
So i have run the LED lights to the new loom. New loom to the old head light connector. The new loom plugs into the headlight. The new switch plugs into the where the original switch went. So I was left with two large connectors on the new loom going no where. Light didnt work. So plugged the two connectors together. Lights work but not as I anticipated. So
Old 01-24-2015, 08:19 AM   #4
Getitdirty
Ride Bosnia

Oddometer: 17
Can't be right??

Hi. Its a bugger I just put the bike back together today before seeing your reply. I should have taken some photos of the wiring. Can't see how you were able to put two connectors on the loom together. That doesn't sound right. Will try and find some pics....

Just had a quick search on the web to remind me how it all looked inside there. The KTM loom has 4 connectors. One of the 4 goes onto where the original start switch went (don't plug the new switch onto there), and one to where the original headlight connector went. Then the new start switch connects to the loom (not its original spot), leaving one connector for the headlight. From memory these 4 are all unique so can't really go onto the wrong place.

Getitdirty screwed with this post 01-24-2015 at 08:38 AM
Getitdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:45 PM   #5
tremmy OP
Adventurer

Yeah got it all sorted. You can actually get them in the wrong place, I proved that. Went back over my work and got it sorted. Shouldn't do things when tired. Thanks all for the replies. Cheers