Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
2Vulcans OP
Let's go...

Oddometer: 165
Question Importing a bike to Australia (QLD)

Hi all,

I recently moved to Queensland and I am supposed to receive my bike very soon by ship. I have already obtained the import permit and I am fine with that. However, the procedure to get the bike registered does not seem to be very clear since I have called both the QLD transport and the people who have given me the permit and they keep telling me different things. Has anyone ever done it?
Any help is appreciated! A nice Italian home made meal if you help!
2Vulcans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
mendydrz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
what sort of bike is it?

i found QLD transport in the past to be a little confusing
Old 06-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
2Vulcans OP
Let's go...

R1200GS Adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendydrz View Post
what sort of bike is it?

i found QLD transport in the past to be a little confusing

Sorry forgot to mention!
It's a '08 R1200GS Adv.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
Sleepy John
Grumpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,701
Give this guy a call but be warned, Brian loves a chat.

http://www.motorcycleroadworthys.com.au/

I'm free on Thursday's for dinner. Do you mind if I bring the wife and kid?

SJ
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Sleepy John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Oddometer: 12,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfio View Post
Hi all,

I recently moved to Queensland and I am supposed to receive my bike very soon by ship. I have already obtained the import permit and I am fine with that. However, the procedure to get the bike registered does not seem to be very clear since I have called both the QLD transport and the people who have given me the permit and they keep telling me different things. Has anyone ever done it?
Any help is appreciated! A nice Italian home made meal if you help!

I'm wanting to import a bike as well and recently read some advertiser's in Just Bikes who "do everything" for a quoted $ Grand (from the west coast USA) and then I guess the registering on the road side of the deal is up to me.
I'll be just watching this thread with interest

Any chance of a good Italian recipe for seafood risotto while we waiting ?

Phil_Fong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #6
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Fong View Post
I'm wanting to import a bike as well and recently read some advertiser's in Just Bikes who "do everything" for a quoted $ Grand (from the west coast USA) and then I guess the registering on the road side of the deal is up to me.
I'll be just watching this thread with interest

that may be for a bike made before (i think) 1986 phil, the bloke who owns the Matilda servo at Dayboro imports a heap's and rekons that when they go over that it's more involved.

hope that's some help.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #7
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme 2 View Post
that may be for a bike made before (i think) 1986 phil, the bloke who owns the Matilda servo at Dayboro imports a heap's and rekons that when they go over that it's more involved.

hope that's some help.

thanks mate, I'll look before I leap

Old 06-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #8
2Vulcans OP
Let's go...

Wicked Risotto!

Quote:

This recipe is the best!
http://ricette.giallozafferano.it/Ri...i-di-mare.html
I know it's in Italian but there are plenty of pictures and a video and you can use Google Translate! Otherwise PMme for more help!
Enjoy!!!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfio View Post
This recipe is the best!
http://ricette.giallozafferano.it/Ri...i-di-mare.html
I know it's in Italian but there are plenty of pictures and a video and you can use Google Translate! Otherwise PMme for more help!
Enjoy!!!

Hey thanks

she pretty too !

I could listen to her all day

Old 06-10-2011, 10:03 PM   #10
2Vulcans OP
Let's go...

Quote:
Hey thanks

she pretty too !

I could listen to her all day
here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/user/yellowsa.../1/3QU5L87GP9I
Old 06-11-2011, 07:19 AM   #11
crustysan
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Yes, Ive done this (imported a bike to QLD).

In 2009 i relocated to QLD and dragged my ST2 (ducati) with me (from Korea).

Im a bit rusty on the process, but here goes...

1) Obtain the doc required to import the bike. I cant recall the name of the form but for me i needed to prove ownership for more than 12 months. For me i needed to get translated and notarized registration papers and purchase receipts. Getting the bike out of Korea needed its own de registration process before the shipping company would box up the bike. I sent all the docs, plus the completed forms to federal roads division in Canberra, and received the 'all clear' to import.

2) once the bike lands, an authorized company needs to visit the bike bike and verify that the bike you are importing is as per the import authorization papers. Triple check you approval to import from Camberra, just one transposed VIN or ENGINE number will add two weeks to the process (in my case the VIN numbers on approval to import doc, where way off actual, and i need to go through a second application, at my cost, and incurred extra storage charges). This aurthorising company can enter the storage site and will physically check the VIN etc numbers and then if all well, they will install additional plate onto to the frame of the bike. This small plate is about the same size as the originally VIN plate, but be sure to tell the guys to install it somewhere unobtrusive, eg under the seat. Its a yellow colored thing and you don't want to have it sticking out like dogs balls on the bike. ($250)

3) Once the bike is 'authorized', you are free to remove the bike from the import company, this took me a few weeks. Remember at this point you have no registration OR insurance so best trailer it home (I jump started the bike and rode it home, illegally). Once home, get Brian (as per earlier reply) to give it a once over and give you the 'road worthy cert' (less than $100). He is a great bloke and will remember my red ST2 at Kangaroo Point.

4) at this point you need to get some insurance for the bike. I am pretty sure this is needed BEFORE taking the bike to its final destination at the QLD Transport office for an inspection. Its seems counter intuitive to get insurance BEFORE you have obtain number plates by the transport department, so I could be wrong. (about $300)

Either way you need to obtain some insurance and then get the bike inspected for final issuance of plates, and then be legal.

I seem to recall that I toke the bike to the transport depo, got interim registration docs, took these to the insurance office to obtain the cover note, then took that back to the transport department to get the plates. I recall once you obtain the cover note, you can ride the bike legally without plates for up to 48hrs from your place of residence to the transport depart to pick up the plates (rego is about $3-400 from memory)

One hitch i had was that the company who initially authorizes the bike (step 2) needed to load up to a federal data base when they've completed their bit, before QLD transport will process you rego papers. In my case the Authorizing company 'delayed' their data entry by a week which added to the overall delay.

The details are a little sketching, I know, and I apologize for that. Its a few years ago now, and to be honest the process was arduous and expensive, and i just wanted to get the beast back on the road, so once it was all over i put it out of my head, rather swiftly.

All in all, it cost me about $1300 for all of the forms, insurance, plates etc and took about a month to complete, made worse thanks to xmas...

I left Aust again last year and left the bike there. I wont go through that process again...

Keep patient, and expect to become an expert in the process because no person at the transport depart knows all of the steps. Good luck.
crustysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #12
ScooterC
Woohoo!!

Oddometer: 81
Be sure you have the correct documentation! The initial form you get is not actually the import permit (I thought it was), that has to come from Canberra and is either sent to your previous address OS or to one in Aus. I missed that step so got delayed.

I wasn't that tough here in WA so can't imagine it'd be that tough over there either, it's just a lot of paperwork (and quite expensive) so make sure you've dotted all your i's and crossed all your t's and you'll be fine.

While I remember, over here you can get a "Temporary Movement Permit" which allows you to move the bike with no rego - you may have the same. It cost about $35 a go so when my bike arrived I went down to the shipping company with my permit, moved the bike home, then when I had all the correct documentation I got another one and rode it to the testing station where it got passed. That then allowed me to send off for my compliance plate, and when that arrived I went back to the testing station (with another permit) so they could verify I had attached it to my bike. Ridiculous. But that then allowed it to be registered and insured.
ScooterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #13
Sleepy John
Grumpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,701
The insuance they are talking about is compulsory third party insurance (CTP).
CTP Insurance is compulsory and is a component of your car registration. CTP Insurance protects you against compensation claims for personal injury resulting from an accident. It DOES NOT cover you for damage to your vehicle or other property. You need to purchase comprehensive insurance separately to have that additional cover.

You can compare CTP premiums here http://www.maic.qld.gov.au/. A single seat motorcycle is class 12, dual seat is class 13.

You can get a quote for comprehensive cover online from Insuremyride.com.au. Print off a copy and use this to talk other insurers down on price. My experience has been that it will be cheaper to buy comprehensive insurance through a broker rather than going direct to the insurance company.
Most bike retailers have an insurance broker in their finance Dept who will be happy to deal with you.

In Qld you can also get the bike certified as a single seat vehicle if you remove the pillion seat and foot pegs. This is quite a saving in third party insurance however you must not carry a passenger as you have no CTP cover for them. You need to have the bike inspected and plated. If you are thinking of this you can get it done at the same time as your safety inspection. Remember that you will need to get it reinspected, submit paperwork to QLD Transport and pay additional insurance costs if you decide to convert it back to dual seat.
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Sleepy John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:35 PM   #14
2Vulcans OP
Let's go...

Question authorising company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crustysan View Post
Yes, Ive done this (imported a bike to QLD).

2) This aurthorising company can enter the storage site and will physically check the VIN etc numbers and then if all well, they will install additional plate onto to the frame of the bike. This small plate is about the same size as the originally VIN plate, but be sure to tell the guys to install it somewhere unobtrusive, eg under the seat. Its a yellow colored thing and you don't want to have it sticking out like dogs balls on the bike. ($250)
Hey Crustysan,

Thanks for all the info!
Is the authorising company something I have to look for? Do you have any suggestions?
What about the right hand side light on the bike? Did you have to replace it?
Cheers!
Old 06-12-2011, 12:14 AM   #15
crustysan
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Alfio,

after posting last night it occurred to me that i probably have keep all the correspondence on my work laptop. Let me dig out some of pertinent pieces and get these to you via Private message.

The Authorizing part threw my to be honest. It wasn't until i spoke to the folks at the shipping company, when i called to tell them i was coming to collect the bike from the bonded warehouse. They politely informed me that i could not retrieve the bike until it had been authorized, and to call XYZ who could help me out.

As mentioned, ill dig out all of the old doc and either post here or PM you including the details of the Authorization company etc. As importantly ill list all of the technical terms required to make it sound like you know what you are talking about throughout the process.

In summary, and as mentioned before, the process is a little troublesome, and in hindsight not worth the brain damage from my perspective.

Actually, theres another step missing, which is the main cost, the Customs charges, which happens towards the end of the process, again cant recall the cost, but its a federal tax which would be same in WA as QLD.

From my experience there is no one company you can engage to take care of all of this for you, its all up to you (australia is a DIY place anyway, so im sure the service would never take off). I did run this past the infamous Brian as a bit of a potential side gig, and he basically said its not that common for people to import bikes from offshore (at least in QLD, which is reflected in most of the people I dealt with throughout the process). No one person in authority who knows the entire process end to end, except those who have personally imported their own bike.

Re lighting, no changes required for my bike, and as a Ducati, exported to Korea, it was set up for right hand drive (not left), and suspect this will be the same for you, if it is an issue brian will ID that for you during the Road Worthy Inspection (which he'll do at your house, in 15 mins flat).

cheers.
crustysan is offline   Reply With Quote